PDA

View Full Version : oh god im scared IGN

knownwar
03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
im scared IGN is going to just throw out a review for this game because they have to. like how they reviewed God Hand.

Lucid
03-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Wow.... IGN? They still exist? I stopped reading reviews 10 years ago or so when I realized that anything, including good reviews can be bought, and when the price isn't right, bad reviews are written.

knownwar
03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Wow.... IGN? They still exist? I stopped reading reviews 10 years ago or so when I realized that anything, including good reviews can be bought, and when the price isn't right, bad reviews are written.
i believe its now you have to pay them for a decent review. and for a good one you have to give your 1st born

Lucid
03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
i believe its now you have to pay them for a decent review. and for a good one you have to give your 1st born

Damn economy I tells ya. Back in my day we just sold our souls to the devil and WE LIKED THAT JUST FINE I TELLS YA!

MattN
03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Review is just 1 person view on a game. Gamespot gave the first Hitman game 4.5 and yet I love playing it. You have to try the game for yourself, that's what Demo is for.

Xiiego94
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I could care less what some bigshot gaming journalism company has to say. In the end its an opinion. Theres still people who buy games based on good reviews and i think that should stop actually.

Myst
03-25-2013, 07:00 PM
I can already tell a lot of gaming sites will give it around a 7.0 to a 7.5 at least that's what I figured most would give at this time. Thankfully I just told most people to play the beta and think for yourself so hopefully they will decide on their own. Plus I stopped watching the big ones ( namely GT and IGN ) because they just seem to run all over the place, I rather enjoy some smaller ones but always go off of my own view anyway.

Sloths FROM SPACE
03-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Everyone is so paranoid when it comes to reviews. Sure, some reviews are almost certainly bought... but in reality it's probably a very small amount. I've definitely seen IGN blast products that happen to be plastered all over their site.

Ensu
03-25-2013, 07:13 PM
A lot of people use metacritic these days. Get to see multiple perspectives.

I remember those days when my only exposure to the gaming world was through PC GAMER. They weren't even as bad as many of the other gaming mags in those days, but I prefer hearing more than one person's impression.

Sloths FROM SPACE
03-25-2013, 07:20 PM
A lot of people use metacritic these days. Get to see multiple perspectives.

I remember those days when my only exposure to the gaming world was through PC GAMER. They weren't even as bad as many of the other gaming mags in those days, but I prefer hearing more than one person's impression.

Metacritic is good for critic reviews... AWFUL for user reviews. So many players spam games with 0's or 10's, which always makes me face palm.

ZombieTech
03-25-2013, 07:20 PM

FYI, IGN is now owned by publisher Ziff Davis...

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/4/3950432/ign-entertainment-bought-by-digital-publisher-ziff-davis

Xiiego94
03-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Anyone familiar with Angryjoe? You may not always agree with him but he tries to be as unbiased as possible, oh and while hes angry. :p

Lucid
03-25-2013, 07:25 PM
I've always been a fan of playing a game and deciding if I enjoy it on my own, the advantage of being born with a functioning brain stem.

ZombieTech
03-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Anyone familiar with Angryjoe? You may not always agree with him but he tries to be as unbiased as possible, oh and while hes angry. :p

I love Angry Joe's reviews... even if I didn't necessarily see eye-to-eye on his PS4 Vlog. I know he's done some interviews on Defiance... wondering if/when he'll do an Angry Review of it. :cool:

Even though, as much as I love zombies and board-games... that last bit he did for the Zombie board-game Kickstarter that's supposed to have a character of Angry Joe in the game... where it was $60 for the board game, and I think $30 for the "board-game expansion", and other packs you could get. I think he even said if you pay a minimum of $15 or something you get the Angry Joe character that you can use in any other "table top" game. Seemed kind of steep for a board-game to be perfectly honest. :p

Tigercml
03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
The problem is a lot of people swear by reviews. If a game gets a bad review than they won't even think about getting it even if they think they might like it. But if its high than everyone wants it.

Me personally I don't care what any reviewer thinks. I'm my own reviewer. If I think a game looks good I will play it and decide for myself. I never let a review decide if I'm gonna buy a game or not. It's too bad not every gamer thinks this way. I know for a fact I would have missed out on a lot of good games had I listened to the dumb reviewers.

Sloths FROM SPACE
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
The problem is a lot of people swear by reviews. If a game gets a bad review than they won't even think about getting it even if they think they might like it. But if its high than everyone wants it.

Me personally I don't care what any reviewer thinks. I'm my own reviewer. If I think a game looks good I will play it and decide for myself. I never let a review decide if I'm gonna buy a game or not. It's too bad not every gamer thinks this way. I know for a fact I would have missed out on a lot of good games had I listened to the dumb reviewers.

The tricky thing is, most can't afford to by a game that simply "looks cool" in trailers. I know I have to buy smart, that means doing my research and *unhappily* trying to shift through bias reviews.

Ensu
03-25-2013, 07:30 PM
So long as you actually read the reviews and don't pay much attention to the score, you'll figure out which ones actually know their stuff. The thing is at launch you'll get a lot of reactionary reviews, and while it will plateau in time, it can greatly skew the results.

The film Kingdom of Heaven is my favourite example. Garnered something like a 5 at first on imdb. I was outraged. Love that film. It's 7.1 as of today.

ZombieTech
03-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Way I tend to go about games (especially in this economy, and with so many duds hitting the market without enough content)... if it's something that's proven itself with previous titles, or from a company I feel I can trust, I don't necessarily need reviews/gameplay-footage. Now for stuff that's new to the market, or brand spanking new, I tend to look both at reviews as well as "Let's Play"/Gameplay footage to get an idea of the mechanics, how it functions, what to expect, if it's got the depth/interface/mechanics/gameplay I'm looking for, and/or if it's even what I think it is at face value. Like the saying goes, "you can't judge the book by its cover"... meaning you don't know if it's going to be good or bad at face value, so sometimes you have to flip through the pages before you know whether or not it's worth the buy.

Just so long as people do their homework though. There has been major controversy about game reviewers being "pampered" and sent to "award shows that are all expenses paid by game developers", which some, including myself, can view as a form of bribery. I mean, how can we expect somebody to be as unbiased and critical/scolding of a title, if it comes from the same dev that just paid to put them up in a 5 star hotel, with paid meals, amenities, etc.

winterforge
03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
IGN will give a great review to anyone promises to advertise for them or does other favors, that's how many of them work.

Xyr3s
03-25-2013, 08:20 PM
yea hope angry joe does a review lol.... he's reviews are pretty much the perfect mixture of angry and funneh ^^

Dixa
03-25-2013, 08:27 PM
im scared IGN is going to just throw out a review for this game because they have to. like how they reviewed God Hand.

ign never has a day one mmo review. they do a work in progress with updates every day, then a final verdict.

Ensu
03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
If you're looking for great reviews, check out zeropunctuation.

Xiiego94
03-25-2013, 08:38 PM
If you're looking for great reviews, check out zeropunctuation.theres another good one. Forgot about that guy for a moment.

ThanatosPa
03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Damn economy I tells ya. Back in my day we just sold our souls to the devil and WE LIKED THAT JUST FINE I TELLS YA!

lol this reminded me..... Awhile back there was a game(i cant for the life of me remember who) that buried a clause in their ELUA that said you agreed to give them your soul:cool:

But on topic when has IGN EVER fairly reviewed a game?

elrick mercer
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM
IGN should no longer be allowed to rate games. They gave Medal of Honor Warfighter which was a good game a 4 because of some bugs and graphics. They then turn around and give Blops 2 a 9 yet it had a ton of glitches, freezing issues and it's using the same engine for a decade and did nothing new for the franchise.

ThanatosPa
03-25-2013, 10:41 PM
hey I just had a thought does anyone use IGN in their commercials?

Btd5025
03-25-2013, 10:55 PM
IGN should no longer be allowed to rate games. They gave Medal of Honor Warfighter which was a good game a 4 because of some bugs and graphics. They then turn around and give Blops 2 a 9 yet it had a ton of glitches, freezing issues and it's using the same engine for a decade and did nothing new for the franchise.

No, they have Warfighter a 4 because that game is atrocious for all the publicity they had for it, and the hype surrounding the game. And actually EA even knew they flubbed that game, hence them officially pulling the plug on the Medal of Honor series.

Btd5025
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
hey I just had a thought does anyone use IGN in their commercials?

Those quotes pulled for commercials are usually taken out of context, and are also usually provided by some unknown or lesser known review site/company.

Hate em or not, IGN is still the standard for review sites.

Defy
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I dont go by reviews, I watch gameplay videos, participate in forums, try the game (if possible like trial/beta) and than decide

I thin Defiance is gonna be an awesome game

ThanatosPa
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Those quotes pulled for commercials are usually taken out of context, and are also usually provided by some unknown or lesser known review site/company.

Hate em or not, IGN is still the standard for review sites.

Are you an IGN spy? just kidding(i hope):),

Alzan
03-25-2013, 11:03 PM
If you're looking for great reviews, check out zeropunctuation.
I doubt Zero Punctuation would review this game.

Defy
03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
I doubt Zero Punctuation would review this game.

why wouldnt he? not an mmo/shooter guy or what?

RelativeBlue
03-25-2013, 11:07 PM
I think Defiance will be horribly difficult to properly review until it's seen how the show tie-ins unfold. Honestly I was dissapointed with quite a few points in the beta, but I am dying to see what they do with the game and how it evolves.
Let's just hope the show doesn't get cancelled any time soon.

Sakara
03-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Was IGN the website where the reviewer gave Kane & Lynch a bad review, and then got fired over it when an Eidos marketing rep called up and complained about it?

Kurze
03-26-2013, 12:55 AM
IGN gave SWToR a 9

thats the day all my dobts were cleared. Its not gross incompetence anymore. its paid lip service from sellouts with zero honesty whatsoever

GT3000
03-26-2013, 01:03 AM
RockPaperShotgun and Total Biscuit before he turned into an arrogant wet-tissue. Everybody else is running a schtick, in somebody's pocket, or full of crap. Even then it's under advisement not an end-all be decision maker.

Xyr3s
03-26-2013, 02:04 AM
IGN gave SWToR a 9

thats the day all my dobts were cleared. Its not gross incompetence anymore. its paid lip service from sellouts with zero honesty whatsoever

swtor is a good game.... sure it might not have had enough endgame for a sub based game. i also had tons of fun in pvp and i wasnt playing a fotm toon

but the lving experience in swtor was the best ive had in any mmo out there.... gw2 comes a close second...

Dead_Phoenix
03-26-2013, 02:05 AM
only reviewer I tend to agree with, and love to watch is AngryJoe.

Man is a legend.

AZAG0TH
03-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Was IGN the website where the reviewer gave Kane & Lynch a bad review, and then got fired over it when an Eidos marketing rep called up and complained about it?

Nope, that was Gamespot.

swtor is a good game.... ....but the lving experience in swtor was the best ive had in any mmo out there.... gw2 comes a close second...

Agreed. I enjoy the class story lines.

RockPaperShotgun and Total Biscuit before he turned into an arrogant wet-tissue. Everybody else is running a schtick, in somebody's pocket, or full of crap. Even then it's under advisement not an end-all be decision maker.

Hasn't he always been that way though? Don't get me wrong, I love the TGS podcast - but to me - he is the most irritating part of it. I was also astounded to find out his age (and that he was actually a lot younger than I am).

Vuule
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
People still care about reviews? Yes, overall, all scores combined etc, they might give you some insight. But I rather judge for myself.

Xiiego94
03-26-2013, 09:25 AM

Man is a legend.glad we are on the same page.

Myst
03-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Man is a legend.

Same here I've thoroughly enjoyed all his reviews.

Travie
03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Same here I've thoroughly enjoyed all his reviews.

Yeah, he really makes an effort to make them entertaining as well as informative.

Raine_Sheppard
03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I'll wait for the Angry Joe Review. Heh! Though by that time, the game will be in my palms (unless by some fluke he gets it for early reviewing). I'll still give the IGN review a looksey, though. Occasionally they have something worth reading that is pretty well done. It all depends on what author gets to make the review.

Snowgoons
03-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Hopefully IGN waits to put out a fair review...reviewing the game off beta or off a few days after launch is unfair.

However who cares, I mean at the end of the day the choice of "IF" a game is good is in your hands. You know how many times in the past I got caught running out to buy something cause a reviewer said it was great and then to me it's average or lame. I actually love low score reviews because usually that's the gem of a game that is amazing to me.

Reviewers review thousands of games, you have to wonder if they even care anymore. How could you care anymore, it's like having cake everyday and then trying to distinguish a good cake from a bad cake after years of eating cake daily.

Darkeus
03-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Actually, doesn't IGN usually do a review in progress thing with MMO games? I have never seen them rate a MMO game until a week or two after release.

Xiiego94
03-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Hopefully IGN waits to put out a fair review...reviewing the game off beta or off a few days after launch is unfair. However who cares, I mean at the end of the day the choice of "IF" a game is good is in your hands. You know how many times in the past I got caught running out to buy something cause a reviewer said it was great and then to me it's average or lame. I actually love low score reviews because usually that's the gem of a game that is amazing to me.

Reviewers review thousands of games, you have to wonder if they even care anymore. How could you care anymore, it's like having cake everyday and then trying to distinguish a good cake from a bad cake after years of eating cake daily.and then you get diabetes.

Tzar of kaos
03-26-2013, 09:47 AM
I hope Angry joe won't do "the 10 reasons why Defiance will be" ...Like he did with Aliens CM. On IGN if they can play the game on their hardware they already give it a 5...Just make your own judgment."Don't believe the hype"....

tangotown
03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Angery joe on utube tells it how it is plus hes fun to watch

TRAP
03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I dont really care what anyone says because I can decide on my own. I played this beta and loved it and if I didnt then I wouldn't have upgraded my pre order from a RE to a CE the UE in the end.

Solo
03-26-2013, 09:56 AM
i careless for IGN i rather read gameinformers instead

lemieux
03-26-2013, 10:36 AM

I just wish Naomi Kyle would fix that mole on her forehead. Pretty annoying. lol All the money they get paid for good reviews IGN should just pay for the removal since she is the one of the flagship faces of the site. She is far from hot, but kinda cute.

Personally they really have to give this game a good review. The game deserves it. And its a ton of fun.

Xiiego94
03-26-2013, 10:39 AM
I guess you can say... IGN will be Defiant on giving this game a review... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sanguinesun
03-26-2013, 10:49 AM
They cant really adequately give a full review because they've not a launch quality copy of the game to review. They can review the beta but thats about it and beta has already been stated to be different from launch. This is the one trick(good or bad) that Trion has done with this game's release.

That said I do think once the launch occurs that there is going to be a considerable amount of critical reviews....

knownwar
03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
making this thread what have i done
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/mechtild/ROTK%20Mt%20Doom/ItsDone21.jpg

6Strummer
03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
I lost faith in reviews about 3 generations ago, and this generation has been the worst ever as far as I can see. Some of my favorite games this gen got less than stellar reviews, and some even got completely panned. Some high profile review sites and magazines gave out inaccurate info in their reviews, sometimes reviewing a game based on it's beta code, or not playing enough of the game to have complete info, or rushing through a game, all in the name of having one of the first reviews out there. I loved my time with this beta and based on it I'd personally give a pretty high review score, but I expect scores much lower than my own to be the norm.

Travie
03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
making this thread what have i done
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/mechtild/ROTK%20Mt%20Doom/ItsDone21.jpg

I-I can't remember the taste of strawberries Sam...

Seriously though, we should all stop caring about IGN and their paid reviews.