PDA

View Full Version : Rampage missions?

Von
06-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Are they something you find alot of in a MMO. When I think of a rampage mission,
I think of GTA. Kill this number of things before the time runs out. In one of the
E3 videos there will apparently be alot of this type of mission all over the place.
I guess if you survive them then you can keep the weapon you use in it. If you
don't, it looks like you still get the experience points.

Kalbuir
06-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Are they something you find alot of in a MMO
Rarely are timers used in MMO's, I would say the average in the MMO's i've played is about 20/30 quests max.

However it kinda depends what you call a quest, both RIFT (has) and Defiance (will) have scaling / dynamic which can happen in the world. In the case of Defiance these are called Arkfalls which are pieces of space debris left over from the alien invasion from the 7 alien species which falls down from space and poses a threat. They additionally hold resources which are valuable to the inhibitors of earth (Which probably means a currency to spend or actual crafting resources if there will be a full fledged crafting system).

Now if RIFT is any indication on how these events scale, and I suspect that the Defiance team also learned some things from the previous implementation (in RIFT) so I doubt it will be a 1:1 copy, then time based stages will be part of Arkfalls to make sure that for example a solo player can not get to the group intended stages of the event.

So for example if your single you can clear 2 stages, the 3rd stage will be timed and you can complete it but most likely not in time. The 4th stage would require a duo or trio of people, then a timed stage again. Ramping up to the described: "two story boss" which most likely requires quite a few people to kill them.

From my interpretation it seems that you will not only find stuff from space during these Arkfall events but also NPC from enemy factions in the world as they also want the materials your after. However this could just have been a lore aspect of the interview, and I think its way to early to tell.

Personally I am not a huge fan of timed missions, in MMO's its not so bad but a lot of time I felt completely rushed (GTA is a perfect example) and screwed up. I feel no enjoyment about doing the same task 5 times in order to get it done. At the same time though it depends on the implementation, especially in GTA it got in the way of your story progression which was what caused my annoyance.

If you take the timed stuff a step further and instead make timed events like a challenge course (first missions of for example America's Army or any other shooter where you run through a bootcamp course) then its something else entirely and something I quite enjoy. Heck people could compete and weekly get a reward for making the top ladder. Risk here however is that in video games perfect runs are quite a possibility I guess.

Kal

Adsinonimous
06-30-2012, 02:54 AM
If you are unsure about what Von is referring to; A rampage mission is showcased at around 10:45 in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY2HXXT757A&feature=relmfu

These rampage missions are like mini-games inside the game where you kill as many things in an allotted time. There will be a leader boards (I'm guessing there will be a world leader board and one for you and your friends and may be a guild one) - The leader boards will show who has got the highest score / kills. The better you do, the more XP is rewarded.

Kalbuir
06-30-2012, 04:39 AM
If you are unsure about what Von is referring to; A rampage mission is showcased at around 10:45 in this clip.

[SNIP]

These rampage missions are like mini-games inside the game where you kill as many things in an allotted time. There will be a leader boards (I'm guessing there will be a world leader board and one for you and your friends and may be a guild one) - The leader boards will show who has got the highest score / kills. The better you do, the more XP is rewarded.

Somehow I missed those video's ty!

Update: Oh wow I can't believe I missed those 3 video's :D lots of info there not only told but also if you look closely at the video's itself. Has anyone analyzed the info in the footage itself yet?

Kal

Adsinonimous
06-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Has anyone analyzed the info in the footage itself yet?

I know that a lot of things have been discussed in and out of this gameplay footage. I cannot recall all of what has been discussed, however. Just have to look at a few threads though - If you are still unsure and want to discuss something in detail; Say what it is and I should be able to tell you if it has been discussed or not and lead you in the right direction to discuss it further. :)

Kalbuir
06-30-2012, 01:16 PM
I know that a lot of things have been discussed in and out of this gameplay footage. I cannot recall all of what has been discussed, however. Just have to look at a few threads though - If you are still unsure and want to discuss something in detail; Say what it is and I should be able to tell you if it has been discussed or not and lead you in the right direction to discuss it further. :)

I'll show you in a bit, bored anyway might as well just analyses it and you can tell me if its useful or not ;)

Von
06-30-2012, 01:54 PM
What I find interesting about the rampage mission is that the guy got a gatlin gun.
I bet for other missions you can get something else like a machine gun, sniper
rifle, or even a pistol. Imagine going after a group of raiders with a gatlin gun.
It would be really cool for a rampage mission, you use your ATV or given a
modified ATV to run over as many hellbugs as you can.

But this still makes me think of something out of Grand Theif Auto. I figure you
can't come up on someone in a rampage. You just see their score after they
are done.

Kalbuir
06-30-2012, 02:05 PM
But this still makes me think of something out of Grand Theif Auto. I figure you
can't come up on someone in a rampage. You just see their score after they
are done.

In the interview linked above, they say its only for solo yea and you compete with friends etc. for score. I wouldn't necessarily exclude implementation of duo rampages for example somewhere down the line. I see no reason why that shouldn't be possible. Depending on how popular the competing for score part is and how many rampages there are in game etc.

One could even consider to make it something a guild could do as a whole. Say 10 man Rampage or whatever. However interview clearly states its solo content so that's just my imagination :P I have a feeling though that a lot of guilds would find it very interesting if they could compete as a guild for top spots on say daily and weekly leadership boards for rampage points.

Kal