PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Level Weapons & Weapon Skill

Shadow Viper
06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
So far I've been keeping one of each type of Blue Weapon I find, leveling it to full and the breaking it down to resources.

The downside of this is that my inventory is almost constantly full.

Is there a better way?

Hobothesis
06-30-2013, 06:48 PM
If you have a weapon you like, you can always just reset its mastery. I started as a machinist and still have the frontier saw with 50 ego req. Make sure the weapon is not equipped in ANY loadout, go to the salvage matrix, select it and the last option is to reset it. Think its like 3k salvage and 20 mins of your time and the mastery is now back to 0. You keep all the mods on it but whatever bonus it had for reaching 100% mastery I think goes bye bye.

Era
06-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Tip: Check the static inventory of every scrip shop using a resource website and then trash every weapon you don't want of a weapon class you can purchase for scrip
Tip: Only save a few weapon types at once
Tip: Hitting 20 means one less weapon type to hoard, do it ASAP

Shadow Viper
06-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Static Inventory?

Aren't they all whites and greens?

dude26212
06-30-2013, 07:45 PM
white and greens are your most important items for just lvling blues and higher are potential keepers

Mercy Killing
06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
And what about leveling weapon skill? How long -should- it take to get to 20 in just one weapon type?

dude26212
06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
depends on the amount of damage you do, how quickly you can do it, and how well you keep up on useing a weapon that isnt maxed out in exp. for example i barely made it to lvl 10 with sniper rifles despite it being my starting weapon (dose plenty of dmg but the number of enemies i have to catch off guard to lvl it is insane, im the kind of person who once discovered switch to a higher rate of fire weapon) but i knocked lmgs off the list in lil over a week (high dmg, auto fire, no need for stealth)

dude26212
06-30-2013, 08:01 PM
oh as far as a tip co-ops lots and lots of co-ops, enemies have plenty of health thanks to the other players and also thanks to them all the enemies arnt focused on killing you alone. allows you to deal out plenty of dmg (at least for smg, lmgs, and assault rifles. the others may do dmg too slowly and the advantage of the other players works against you as they kill everything too quickly for you to do the dmg you need)

Colif
06-30-2013, 08:33 PM
You keep all the mods on it but whatever bonus it had for reaching 100% mastery I think goes bye bye.

No, you get to keep this bonus also, i think it works too? Some of them are hard to test. It was meant to reset this bonus but all it does is reset the exp so you can use it again. Sort of glad it didnt reset it as I have +5% crit from the hip on one of my smg's

I save at least 2 weapons of each type as you need a spare for when the 1st one is being reset... though some types have more as I can't ignore a nice weapon in a vendor. I have 153 bag slots so its not like I can't have spares.

I am currently doing sniper rifles and its been giving me eye strain as i have to concentrate more to get a kill. Counter productive really. Best place i have found is either right at start of game or a raider camp, safest anyway.

Isn't levelling weapons and weapon skill the same thing? If you want to max out a weapon, just do arkfalls. You get no weapon exp but it still uses the weapon bar up.

Mercy Killing
07-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Isn't levelling weapons and weapon skill the same thing? If you want to max out a weapon, just do arkfalls. You get no weapon exp but it still uses the weapon bar up.

No. There's two different sets of weapon xp. One is that bar you see that goes from 1- 852697 or some such number when you click on the weapon. The other is weapon skill, which as it levels from 1-20 will give bonuses separate from weapon mods and stats. Umm..here. This video explains it perfectly.

uCgyE5T0Dl0

Colif
07-01-2013, 09:19 AM
i get the difference. I assume the weapon skill that goes from 1-20 is a total of all the weapon bar exp (on all weapons used of that type), but excluding major arkfall usage since it doesn't (currently) add to weapon skill level.

If major arkfalls had always given exp I would be lvl 20 lmg by now, but I am not. I wasted so many weapons early on at arkfalls before i knew they don't help weapon skill. I had actually been doing arkfalls to level up certain weapons so I was not amused. All it achieved was to waste purples (I didn't know then to use whites/greens instead), i managed to max out a new SAW in 3 days and was astounded.

After i found out, i made 1 weapon set for arkfalls and every other loadout was specifically not to be used at them... now I am max skill with a few things and have scrip to spare, I don't bother so much.

Gravi7y
07-01-2013, 09:32 AM
white weapons are the cheapest to reset. so find a white gun you like and use it over and over.

Cavadus
07-01-2013, 09:41 AM
For most weapons the best way to level them are co-ops or grinding hulkers. For weapons with high crit modifiers the scrapper forges in SF are awesome since that eyeball allows for insane crit damage. The tail is still hella good too.

Combo Breaker
07-01-2013, 09:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNSyZipThI

Doesn't get much easier.

Indra Echo
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
I think it's kind of funny for people to suggest you ignore weapons you really like and want to use until you level up a class to 20 and that you use blues, greens, and whites instead. I have a few of some types that I switch out but if I have an orange I like or a purple I like I'm going to use it and reset it along the way. Maybe I'm missing something but I find that if I use them it makes easier and faster work of leveling up a class.

And there are specific places you can go to make quicker work of leveling up. Big Stone Reach for Detonators-the hole of skitterlings. Also gives you everything but loot. You get loot by doing the Big Stone Reach event-just don't pick everyone up.

Horseshoe Bay for other stuff. Try it and see what you get. Headfirst Crater for other stuff. Sutro Towers-just don't re-activate the last turret. San Quentin for the Hulker-no don't use the RLs. Aegis mission for the Hulker and even masses of bugs (but he'll kill the Monarch for you)-find a friend who has not completed it. Coop, coop, coop. And switch out weapons.

Sanguinesun
07-01-2013, 11:37 AM
New way being added today: Kill Volge :P