PDA

View Full Version : possible easter egg

dude26212
06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
or part of a side mission i dont remember. if you go to the hill overlooking that destroyed bridge by top-notch youll find a sign with jump at your own risk painted on it with a dead rancher next to it. now if you look over the cliff the sign is obviously indicating youll find another seven dead ranchers. now considering there are 3 raiders by the sign ive come to the conclusion that this is just a raiders idea of a funny way to dispose of bodies. what do you think?

Arsenic_Touch
06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Exactly how is that an easter egg? easter eggs make a reference to another game or a pop culture reference. This does neither.

The Oncoming Storm
06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Exactly how is that an easter egg? easter eggs make a reference to another game or a pop culture reference. This does neither.
Hold on bro this happens all the time in GTA 4,

Good find buddy, you're one eagle eyed son of a gun eh?!
*backs away slowly*

dude26212
06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
it could be a reference to the real spot just because you dont immediatly know the connection dosent make it automaticly wrong. from what ive read barely anyone knew what lorenzo zoil was referencing to in the movie paul. didnt make it any less of a easter egg. anyways anyone from the area know anything about exit 445B muir woods and mt. something that ends in ais?

JxSiN
06-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Muir woods and Mt Tamalpais. That's like a wildlife reserve over in that area, a redwood forest. Mt. Tamalpais..... aka Mt. Tam

Tilarium
07-01-2013, 03:24 AM
it could be a reference to the real spot just because you dont immediatly know the connection dosent make it automaticly wrong. from what ive read barely anyone knew what lorenzo zoil was referencing to in the movie paul. didnt make it any less of a easter egg. anyways anyone from the area know anything about exit 445B muir woods and mt. something that ends in ais?

HaHa! When I went to see Paul, I think I was the only one in the theater that got the reference. That made it even better, in my opinion.

Tharcion
07-01-2013, 04:59 AM
HaHa! When I went to see Paul, I think I was the only one in the theater that got the reference. That made it even better, in my opinion.

Weird. I've never seen Paul, but I understand the reference. There was a huge great big blockbuster movie made about it! (Which I haven't seen either.)

Indra Echo
07-01-2013, 05:14 AM

Not so. Easter eggs actually in part began as ways for devs to put a part of themselves in a game. Often it would be their initials or names used somewhere and later on their images. Today Easter Eggs are just hidden finds and can be anything. Sometimes they are hidden references to other things as you state, but they are often easily overlooked or just plain off the beaten track items that are not normal parts of the game-they don't do anything to advance the game and exist to make you smile.

Climb the tower in San Francisco is an Easter Egg.

Daholic
07-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Not so. Easter eggs actually in part began as ways for devs to put a part of themselves in a game. Often it would be their initials or names used somewhere and later on their images. Today Easter Eggs are just hidden finds and can be anything. Sometimes they are hidden references to other things as you state, but they are often easily overlooked or just plain off the beaten track items that are not normal parts of the game-they don't do anything to advance the game and exist to make you smile.

Climb the tower in San Francisco is an Easter Egg.

Doesn't have to be something you can recognize as a easter egg? It has to relate to something, or better yet be out of place. Trust me a signature, or initials wouldn't be an easter egg unless you knew it wasn't a part of the game.

Need help, check Just Cause 2!

N3gativeCr33p
07-01-2013, 05:47 AM
This has always been my understanding on what Easter eggs are, as a gaming term...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg_(media)

Indra Echo
07-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Doesn't have to be something you can recognize as a easter egg? It has to relate to something, or better yet be out of place. Trust me a signature, or initials wouldn't be an easter egg unless you knew it wasn't a part of the game.

Need help, check Just Cause 2!

Where did I say that it wouldn't be something you recognize as an easter egg? I've been gaming longer than most of you have been alive. And Easter Eggs were used as a way for a dev to get credit in the game instead of in credits, because there often were no in game credits. Heck early on in PCs creators of certain parts of the PC would put their names or initials on the components and those were Easter Eggs.

Of course you know it's not part of the game-I said that Easter Eggs don't advance the game. Sometimes they are mini-games or hidden levels though.

And no it doesn't have to be out of place-just google the term and look for top 100 Easter Eggs of all time. The very first is the devs' names. There are some with references to other games. There's one from a GTA game called the Heart of the City which is literally a heart. In Demon's Souls there is at one point a view of a cliff and the rocks form faces. Some games had certain key presses that you had to do in order to get alternate music.

Easter Eggs quite simply are inside jokes that at some point the devs sorta kinda hope you will find and smile about. They can be anything.

Indra Echo
07-01-2013, 06:16 AM
This has always been my understanding on what Easter eggs are, as a gaming term...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg_(media)

Yep. Exactly what I said only with a lot better explanation.

In fact, Stephen King and M. Night Shyamalan sort of paid homage to those that came before (like Hitchcock) by having cameos in his movies. And when Star Wars was released (or actually any movie) people were constantly on the hunt for Easter Eggs in them-some intentional and some not so.

Anthalus
07-01-2013, 06:25 AM
On of the first I can remember was a secret room in the last boss fight in Quake 2 that had pictures of some of the devs and buttons that did stuff next to them. (can't remember for sure but think 1 killed you)

Indra Echo
07-01-2013, 06:35 AM
On of the first I can remember was a secret room in the last boss fight in Quake 2 that had pictures of some of the devs and buttons that did stuff next to them. (can't remember for sure but think 1 killed you)

I just remember when playing games or using any computer program or watching movies, we were always looking for them.

The OP is right-that is an Easter Egg and it's known that Trion likes to hide things in their games. The one the OP mentions is really funny.

Tilarium
07-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Yep. Exactly what I said only with a lot better explanation.

In fact, Stephen King and M. Night Shyamalan sort of paid homage to those that came before (like Hitchcock) by having cameos in his movies. And when Star Wars was released (or actually any movie) people were constantly on the hunt for Easter Eggs in them-some intentional and some not so.

Don't forget Stan and Man. Stan "the Man" Lee is in all of the Marval Studios movies. Always fun to see who he'll be... the pizza man? The screaming man? Hugh Hefner?

Indra Echo
07-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Don't forget Stan and Man. Stan "the Man" Lee is in all of the Marval Studios movies. Always fun to see who he'll be... the pizza man? The screaming man? Hugh Hefner?
Oh yeah I did forget-thanks for that.

Capattac
07-01-2013, 11:09 AM
You guys are all wrong.

Everyone knows that Easter Eggs in games are extremely well hidden little painted eggs usuall located near what look to be small piles of milkduds...

Vega
07-01-2013, 11:44 AM
          

Atticus Batman
07-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Give that poster a prize. Thats what an easter egg is. They look like this:

http://martinezgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/easter-egg.jpg

Some easter eggs are soo obvious and overused that perhaps they should just be called cliche and not an easter egg. Such as all the evil dead references EVERY game developer makes nowadays.

The following ones are just the obvious ones that I have seen hundreds of times over the years. Enjoy!

1: "Ash: Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick!"

2: "Ash: Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things, right now: Jack and ****... and Jack left town. "

3: "Ash: Groovy."

4: "Ash: [voiceover] Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I *am* king.

[Ash grabs girl close]

Ash: Hail to the king, baby."