PDA

View Full Version : Defiance and Next-Gen - Any official word?

Remag Div
07-01-2013, 07:39 AM
So, with two episodes left in Season 1 and then a long wait for Season 2, I feel I should try and bring this up again.

I'm going to assume we're not going to see much in story and episodic content during the "off season", not until we get closer to the premiere of Season 2. Devs do plan to release the different DLC with the first being set for the end of this month, but I literally have no confidence in Trion currently so I'll believe it when I see it. The Season 1 premiere was back in April, so it's safe to say the Season 2 premiere will probably be around the same time next year, April 2014. That's a long time away, and I really hope Trion has a game plan and comes out firing on all cylinders during the off season to keep people playing the game while the show is off air.

Now, the major thing that needs to be addressed and will ultimately make or break this game: Will Defiance be ported and enhanced for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4? AFAIK, their are rumors it will happen, but nothing official from the Devs. I was hoping we'd hear something at E3 but nothing was said about it. There really is no argument here, if you plan to keep Defiance relevant in 2014 and beyond, this game needs to transition to the next-gen platforms. When they release this Fall, you'd be hard pressed to find many people playing this game. And by April 2014? Forget about it. There is no way people will continue to play this game into Season 2 if it's still only available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Only the most hardcore of fans will stay, and even they would probably only log in to complete story content and log out right after.

Having the game on the Xbone and PS4 at least by the start of Season 2 next year will definitely improve the odds of this game succeeding into next-gen. But a straight port wouldn't do, either. The Xbone and PS4 are much more powerful then current gen. We'd need to see enhanced textures, lighting, shaders, AA, draw distance, and any other advanced features most next-gen games will have. PC users don't really have to worry since good rigs now can already perform at next-gen quality.

I'm really hoping Trion has something like this planned and in place, otherwise this game has no shot.

Dave Blackwell
07-01-2013, 07:44 AM
So, with two episodes left in Season 1 and then a long wait for Season 2, I feel I should try and bring this up again.

I'm going to assume we're not going to see much in story and episodic content during the "off season", not until we get closer to the premiere of Season 2. Devs do plan to release the different DLC with the first being set for the end of this month, but I literally have no confidence in Trion currently so I'll believe it when I see it. The Season 1 premiere was back in April, so it's safe to say the Season 2 premiere will probably be around the same time next year, April 2014. That's a long time away, and I really hope Trion has a game plan and comes out firing on all cylinders during the off season to keep people playing the game while the show is off air.

Now, the major thing that needs to be addressed and will ultimately make or break this game: Will Defiance be ported and enhanced for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4? AFAIK, their are rumors it will happen, but nothing official from the Devs. I was hoping we'd hear something at E3 but nothing was said about it. There really is no argument here, if you plan to keep Defiance relevant in 2014 and beyond, this game needs to transition to the next-gen platforms. When they release this Fall, you'd be hard pressed to find many people playing this game. And by April 2014? Forget about it. There is no way people will continue to play this game into Season 2 if it's still only available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Only the most hardcore of fans will stay, and even they would probably only log in to complete story content and log out right after.

Having the game on the Xbone and PS4 at least by the start of Season 2 next year will definitely improve the odds of this game succeeding into next-gen. But a straight port wouldn't do, either. The Xbone and PS4 are much more powerful then current gen. We'd need to see enhanced textures, lighting, shaders, AA, draw distance, and any other advanced features most next-gen games will have. PC users don't really have to worry since good rigs now can already perform at next-gen quality.

I'm really hoping Trion has something like this planned and in place, otherwise this game has no shot.

Simple, move to PC.

Don't fall into the mindset that just because next gens are coming out that all of a sudden this game will collapse. I've heard of the possibility of moving to next gens, but there is no backwards compatibility; therefore you will have to buy the disc again - if it is moved to next gen. In all honesty though I'd just go with moving to PC rather than holding out hope for a next gen version.

hardy83
07-01-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm sure it will. At some point.
But do you honestly think EVERYONE will drop current gen to buy next gen in the first year?

If you do, then you don't know how consoles work. Adoption rates increases over time, not spikes at the start, unless of course the system is a failure or lagging because the console maker is being stupid CoughNintendoCough!
The systems will sell fine at first, but will pick up probably late 2014 and 2015 when people start to finally abandon current gen.

I think it would be smart of them, however, to port the game over but it doesn't have to be at launch, though releasing it on next gen with updated graphics (even if it's just resolution and textures) a week before season 2 starts would probably be a smart thing.
It could also include what I'm assuming is going to be an xpac, unless this game is going to survive with DLC packs only every TV season.

You are putting too much credit to a start of a new console generation. Defiance will be fine, it won't suddenly drop off the face of the planet, especially with half the players play the PC version.

Remag Div
07-01-2013, 08:00 AM
The game won't disappear off everyone's radar at the start of next-gen since you're right that most won't adopt them early on. But for those that do, they probably won't be playing this game much, if at all.

It's more about going into next year and Season 2. Once Season 2 hits and gets going into next summer, more and more people will be making the switch to next-gen. Instead of Trion being reactive with the situation, they should be proactive and preparing to release a next-gen version for the game in time for Season 2.

Shogo_Yahagi
07-01-2013, 08:12 AM
You do realize that they just stopped making brand-new PS2s this year, don't you? That's a 13 year run, and there are still a few new games releasing PS2 versions.

Sony has already sold more than 75 million PS3 consoles. Not only will those PS3s continue functioning after the PS4 is released, but Sony will keep making PS3s after the PS4 comes out, and people will keep buying them.

Take a deep breath. The success or failure of the game is probably not going to be determined by whether or not there is a PS4 version.

Remag Div
07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
You do realize that they just stopped making brand-new PS2s this year, don't you? That's a 13 year run, and there are still a few new games releasing PS2 versions.

Sony has already sold more than 75 million PS3 consoles. Not only will those PS3s continue functioning after the PS4 is released, but Sony will keep making PS3s after the PS4 comes out, and people will keep buying them.

Take a deep breath. The success or failure of the game is probably not going to be determined by whether or not there is a PS4 version.

It's different when sustaining an MMO, though. I agree it doesn't need to be on next-gen consoles on day 1, but by this time next year it really needs to be to keep the game relevant.

Remember, there's gonna be a TON of competition for this game, biggest being Destiny, but then there's also The Division and other traditional MMO's for next-gen like Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy XIV, EverQuest Next, etc. and who knows what else that isn't even announced yet.

Having this game just stay on the 360 and PS3 is a death wish.

unlucky haha
07-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I saw on TV confirmation that season 2 of defiance tv show is being filmed end of summer...so for me that says it all season 2 of the game will be next year..My other opinion is that the arkfall that we all saw of the monolyth at E3,,bang on the xbox one and sonys effort..watch this space defiance will be on next -gen....peace..

Donnyrides
07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
to be honest, I kind of want the show to be canceled. That way they can release DLC whenever they want and don't have to wait for the show to catch up.

As far as worrying about next-gen, don't. I have a feeling that this game was almost built to port over IF they really wanted to so the only think keep locally on your machine is the game install, all other character related data is stored on their servers. If you have a registered version of the game, they may even slip in a discounted downloadable copy. You just never know until you get there. Keep your chin up and keep ark hunting!!