PDA

View Full Version : Region Locking - Details Coming

Sledgehammer70
03-25-2013, 10:10 PM
I first off want to say I misspoke around details on Region Locking as I was informed the direct details. In that I am working on a nice post to explain how the so called region locking will work within Defiance.

Please stay tuned and stay civil.

Drkhao
03-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Civil!! *grumbles*
Lol <3 ty.

Drayven
03-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks SledgeHammer, cant wait for the information :O)

Alzan
03-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Oh, I just love announcements of announcements.

Kupchuk
03-25-2013, 10:18 PM
just think they should get rid of the Region lock for good... i lost a friend who i cannot play with i have known him for 6 years and we have been talking about MMo's on the Xbox for a long time finallly the time has come and then all of a sudden BAM! i can't and i have other european friends i cannot play with. would i rather play with 1 million people or 1 thousand (answers 1 million) also your taking the definition of MMO out with the region lock. (not picking a fight voicing my opinion) and i am not the only one i have only met 1 person who actually enjoys region lock out of the hundreds i have met and plenty more threads i read. this can go on and on and on. but i will stop

Altreas
03-25-2013, 10:21 PM
*hands out the molotovs* just in case it doesnt stay civil. It will be interest to hear the full accurate info

DJTrig
03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Colour me intriqued *props pitchfork against the wall*:).

Drayven
03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
*hands out lighters for molotovs* Civil i laugh in the face of civil mahahaha

But seriously cant wait for the info

Mr Broke
03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
I first off want to say I misspoke around details on Region Locking as I was informed the direct details. In that I am working on a nice post to explain how the so called region locking with work within Defiance.

Translation : "Soon"

DJTrig
03-25-2013, 10:34 PM

Stop swearing :).

Drkhao
03-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I need a herroooooo!!

Hiero Glyph
03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
The fact that this issue has taken so long to formally resolve one way or the other is problematic. Hopefully the resolution is worth the wait.

Brock 5amson
03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Couldn't help myself had to make one,
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/36658579.jpg

lPATT
03-25-2013, 11:14 PM

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU i thought we had stop using the "S" word >_<

serious : i hope it good news =O

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/36659358.jpg

Jath
03-25-2013, 11:18 PM
It's possible that those against the notion were heard in large enough numbers to warrant a second look at implementing the region locked servers. It's also possible that we could be overreacting to a miscommunication, and what Sledge actually meant was that the game discs themselves would be region locked, not the servers...

I doubt it, but who knows?

Btd5025
03-25-2013, 11:22 PM
I wanna play with fellow merican's. Not some English guy who like's Harry Potter, spotted d**k, and enjoys an occasional tea (joking... Or am I?).

Murica'

DJTrig
03-25-2013, 11:29 PM
I wanna play with fellow merican's. Not some English guy who like's Harry Potter, spotted d**k, and enjoys an occasional tea (joking... Or am I?).

Murica'

Coffee,fruit pies and......well i did enjoy the potter movies so you kinda got me on that.

MacDeath
03-25-2013, 11:42 PM
IMO, Trion (and MS and Sony) are separating the player base too much. Wouldn't it be nice if you could play with friends and guildmates no mater where they lived and no matter which platform they used? I do understand some of MS / Sony concerns of mixed player base... However, IMO, Trion should convince these giants (it won't be easy) to at LEAST allow any Xboxer to play with any other Xboxer anywhere in the world. Same for Sony.

We don't have regional locking for the PC platform because Trion can control that. I have beta chars on both North America and EU. So, if Sledge can swing his hammah and make these region locks go away it will be good for the player base AND good for Trion.

mushinwolf
03-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Thanks Sledge, appreciate it .....(crosses fingers and hopes for region locking meaning discs only and this is all a misunderstanding and wont cause a riot!)

Kroesis
03-26-2013, 12:48 AM

Murica'

and what's wrong with Harry Potter, spotted **** and tea? actually forget spotted ****, there's plenty wrong with that, but the others plus fish and chips, real ale and our accent.... awesome...

Britannia
:p

TGxPriest
03-26-2013, 03:42 AM
Region locking an MMO.. makes no sense at all!

Hope this will be cleared up.

OcelotKharn
03-26-2013, 03:50 AM
if we are stuck with region locks you may want to clarify where countries like Australia and New Zealand fit in as so far theres on mention of US and EU servers

TGxPriest
03-26-2013, 05:27 AM
In the BETA EU, UK, AU and NZ were compatible playing with each other.. luckily.

BunkeredSphinx
03-26-2013, 06:07 AM
*hands out the molotovs* just in case it doesnt stay civil. It will be interest to hear the full accurate info

nice can I have another.

Tzar of kaos
03-26-2013, 07:36 AM
More than two months to get (maybe an offical and definitive) answer...At least we'll have one in a week.

KaosPenguin
03-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Stay Civil you say?...

Levi
03-26-2013, 08:42 AM
I've been looking into the what region locking is and taking into account Sledge saying he misspoke. I've read that 99.9% of all XBOX 360 games ARE region locked, including the popular ones like CoD an so on. Most of the region locking stops Asia playing with the EU and US/CAN. So for all those wanting to rage, complain and so forth stop now (including me) and wait for ACCURATE information and confirmation. I've experienced game devs inaccurately spew information in live feeds before launch on the spur of the moment plenty of times. I will however complain about Trion's attempt to attend to our concerns, considering we are so close to launch and people have actually cancelled pre-orders. Never known a company to handle stuff in relationship to this so poorly, then again I don't know what goes on behind scenes and closed doors, then again seen results do make more of an impact than the word of someone who previously got their facts wrong. Sounds mean but true (constructive criticism)

Nevertheless I will wait and take 1 Molotov just in case it's not the news I want to hear. :) Do not make me use it >:(

slavishpuppet
03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
^^^m$ in the past has done region lock by language not the b.s. here!

code 117
03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks sledge. This will hopefully shut a few people up, as they just want to know why its like this just for the 360. I'm guessin its something that cannot be avoided or worked around. I'mone of those who's been moaning BTW, so I understand.
Once thats out of the way, I hope that Trion will still work with microsoft to see if, further down the road, they could find a solution. But would likely fid it easier with defiance 2 in 3 years time, hopefully with microsoft having found ways to open their security restrictions a little (I pulled that out of my arse, but really hope this to be successful and garner a next gen upgrade)

Lazy
03-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Stay Civil you say?...

Haha I don't think that is going to happen...
Should be interesting..

code 117
03-26-2013, 11:34 AM
I first off want to say I misspoke around details on Region Locking as I was informed the direct details. In that I am working on a nice post to explain how the so called region locking with work within Defiance.

I think you just also misspoke again sledge, as I just noticed you put 'the so called region locking'. Which means its a strange form of region locking or you did actually just write that strangely. You toy too much with a mans heart strings sledge, you'll get a reputation for teasing at this rate. And when its at a mans heart strings that rep may notbe the type you were wanting. lol

thejx4
03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Ah, this isn't gonna end well. Why on earth would you region lock an online shooter?

Theonerayman
03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Ah, this isn't gonna end well. Why on earth would you region lock an online shooter?

Online MMO that is also a shooter*** Fixed.

CaLaMaSaBy 360
03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Will the clarification be posted to the sticky section when its available? Region locking doesn't really affect me but I am still curious about the matter. I will say though that I have played games that the connection suffered from playing from across the globe.

Hiero Glyph
03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Will the clarification be posted to the sticky section when its available? Region locking doesn't really affect me but I am still curious about the matter. I will say though that I have played games that the connection suffered from playing from across the globe.

That is P2P, not connecting to a regional server. Not even close to the same thing.

TGxPriest
03-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Any news yet, just wondering.. Love the Game, hate the region lock :(

DOOM996
03-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah, i don`t know why it takes so long to make an official statement, cause they MUST KNOW how it will work one week before release!

Hiero Glyph
03-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah, i don`t know why it takes so long to make an official statement, cause they MUST KNOW how it will work one week before release!

Proper grammar is very difficult to accomplish; give them some time.

BleakPanther
03-26-2013, 04:49 PM

Also if this is anything like the previous deal with Microsoft, it might take a while to wrestle an answer from them. The beta situation was unfolding as quickly as Sledge posted here.

Nerdy Ryuu
03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
so when cause I need to know , if I buy or not.

slavishpuppet
03-26-2013, 09:39 PM
^^^^lol me too. Me and 4 of my friends buying this game depend on their answer! It's our money and it is what it is :p

Hiero Glyph
03-26-2013, 09:43 PM
so when cause I need to know , if I buy or not.

Probably April 3rd.

BoonDoc91B
03-26-2013, 11:58 PM
My friends and I have been following the development of this game for quite sometime. Region locking, as I understand it, would hamper the experience by not allowing us to game together. Given that I'm a man of modest means I'm really particular about what games I spend my money on. Here's to hoping 'Defiance' gets to be one of those games.

Brock 5amson
03-27-2013, 12:28 AM
http://i.imgflip.com/w0me.jpg

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
03-27-2013, 01:17 AM
SNIP

+1 Good sir.

TGxPriest
03-27-2013, 05:23 AM
haha good stuff Brock..

Still waiting on an answer trion....

Thee Apothecary
03-27-2013, 05:33 AM
thanks for the heads up sledge

Lazy
03-27-2013, 06:09 AM

Definitely what happened!! Haha..

Thee Apothecary
03-27-2013, 06:16 AM
http://i.imgflip.com/w0me.jpg

shouldnt it be we ban the people who started this issue aka Me and members of The Stranded

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 07:42 AM
funny as hell that is XD really hope we know soon cause i really really hope it isnt

Perx89
03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
What a shame, still no info on this. Good job Trion, worst game company to date.

Drayven
03-27-2013, 08:12 AM
@Thee Apothecary dont say that dude, i dont like hammers lol

yeap still waiting for the information

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 08:17 AM
What a shame, still no info on this. Good job Trion, worst game company to date.

not really sledge is most likely sledgeing the info out of them and trust me ea is much worse look at sim city 3

Nerdy Ryuu
03-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Hope there is some word before Friday because thats the last day I can preroder at amazon.

Nomad N7
03-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Hope there is some word before Friday because thats the last day I can preroder at amazon.

Yeah, I wanna pre-order this so bad too.
This is my predicament:http://forums.defiance.com/...X360-NTSC-J-Compability (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?9588-X360-NTSC-J-Compability)

TG Merc
03-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Which is why im guessing the announcement will be made after Friday. Reason speaks for itself......bad news....reduced sales. I hope im wrong.

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
yer not gonna lie but i have that feeling they willl announce after u can cancel pre-orders so u kinda get screwed but same time game uk has a policy about returning a game un opened if u ordered online, so i can get a full refund but honestly we need to know soon preferably before tomorrow

Buruko
03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Please, that opinion is like the wind it always changes direction depending on who's cheese-ing you off that day. Lame-O post.

Nomad N7
03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
And now I'm finding out that the Dodge is pre-order only. I really want to pre-order, but what if it's not compatible with my system and I can't redeem the code lol

Sledgehammer70
03-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Just an update... I have not forgotten about this. I will be posting details shortly.

TGxPriest
03-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Just an update... I have not forgotten about this. I will be posting details shortly.

Good stuf man

KaosPenguin
03-27-2013, 11:49 AM

Shortly = Very soon...

code 117
03-27-2013, 11:59 AM

And we will be as civil as we ever are. :D

Ichidakiller
03-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Region lock is more then likely to combat lag. This many players even if only a couple at arkfall with across the pond connections your looking at a tremendous strain on the server.
I would rather have less lag in an mmo then being able to play with different regions.
Hey I know it sucks I have alot of Australian friends as I play during their prime hours. But if it makes the game run smoother im all for it.
Game stability>playing with friends their are plenty of other games and you can both be playing the game at the same time in an Xbox party if ya miss then that much. Not like rolling together but hey its better then nothing.

Tibbs
03-27-2013, 12:31 PM

If this is your shortly, I would hate to see your later! I kid, I kid!

A s0t
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
If this is your shortly, I would hate to see your later! I kid, I kid!
Valve Time lol

Hiero Glyph
03-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Region lock is more then likely to combat lag. This many players even if only a couple at arkfall with across the pond connections your looking at a tremendous strain on the server.
I would rather have less lag in an mmo then being able to play with different regions.
Hey I know it sucks I have alot of Australian friends as I play during their prime hours. But if it makes the game run smoother im all for it.
Game stability>playing with friends their are plenty of other games and you can both be playing the game at the same time in an Xbox party if ya miss then that much. Not like rolling together but hey its better then nothing.

Except that it isn't about reducing latency. AU is closer to the western US than to anywhere in EU. Likewise all of SA is closer to NA as well as parts of SE Asia. For your to claim that this is about improving latency means you have no concept of geography.

EDIT: I have several friends from AU and all of them would rather connect to the US than to EU, particularly for improving latency.

Kroesis
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Shortly = Very soon...

That's what I read. Perhaps he's trying not to swear...

Thee Apothecary
03-27-2013, 01:17 PM
and the brits mostly dont wanna play with EU we want freedom of choice id rather play with NA peeps

KaosPenguin
03-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Valve Time lol

Blizzard Time

TGxPriest
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Im UK living on mainlaind europe... Dont forget we're also in with the aussies and NZ.. so im pretty happy EU being included with UK..

I just want to completely get rid of the region lock so you got freedom of choice.. :/

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
if i had a choice na please v.v

Ichidakiller
03-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Except that it isn't about reducing latency. AU is closer to the western US than to anywhere in EU. Likewise all of SA is closer to NA as well as parts of SE Asia. For your to claim that this is about improving latency means you have no concept of geography.

EDIT: I have several friends from AU and all of them would rather connect to the US than to EU, particularly for improving latency.

actually Europe to Australia is 9115 miles as the crow flies
Australia to USA is 9445 miles.
so again.....what was your point about not knowing geography.
here's the problem you have two options for USA to Europe transatlantic cable or satellite neither are great for latency.
The extra benefit for region locking us you dont have to do a mass roll out for patches you patch regions at a time one day USA next EU etc etc. So half a dozen cross country high speed lines or transatlantic undersea cable or satellite.

This also allows m$ to not have to deal with support for why someone in Europe is having connection issues. The eruo branch can handle it.

Hiero Glyph
03-27-2013, 02:59 PM
actually Europe to Australia is 9115 miles as the crow flies
Australia to USA is 9445 miles.
so again.....what was your point about not knowing geography.
here's the problem you have two options for USA to Europe transatlantic cable or satellite neither are great for latency.
The extra benefit for region locking us you dont have to do a mass roll out for patches you patch regions at a time one day USA next EU etc etc. So half a dozen cross country high speed lines or transatlantic undersea cable or satellite.

This also allows m$ to not have to deal with support for why someone in Europe is having connection issues. The eruo branch can handle it.

Haha, nice math. Sydney to LA is ~7,500 miles; Sydney to London is ~10,500 miles, at least as the crow flies. I stand by my statement. Small variations based on location are possible, but I think the 3,000+ mile buffer has it covered.

EDIT: As this is an MMO, simultaneous patching for all parties connected to a server is mandatory. This means that the EU server will handle all patches for EU, Asia, AU, and SA (technically Africa too). Time of day has no relevance as it literally covers the entire globe.

EDIT_2: Trion has three US offices, two in CA (Redwood City & San Diego) and one in Austin, TX; the EU office is located in London, UK. Where do you think the regional servers are housed?

gohan661
03-27-2013, 03:12 PM

*checks time of post*
*checks current time*
*re-checks dev tracker*
Yep devs talk out their *****

tirramprab
03-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Less than a week to go and no real answers? Thought the idea of Xbox live was so you could play against or with people all around the world, and when the friends list was put into effect it was so you could play with or against your friends, being restricted to set servers kinda goes agains the Xbox live experience that is so central to the Xbox community. Or am I just being an odd ball?

Mack
03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks for this sledge

clonednet
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
And now I'm finding out that the Dodge is pre-order only. I really want to pre-order, but what if it's not compatible with my system and I can't redeem the code lol

the only dodge that is pre-order is the red one. at the very lest i know you can get a black one from pursuits.

Kroesis
03-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Still...
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/croesis/sledgehammer-soon.jpg
... I take it?

Tibbs
03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Sledge needs to be careful, he is going to have to many important posts to make, that he might not ever get to post regular posts!

pieofdeath123
03-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Still...
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/croesis/sledgehammer-soon.jpg
... I take it?

How dare you use that offensive language!

Valethar
03-27-2013, 06:48 PM

I think you're confusing Trion with Electronic Arts.

freecreditscore
03-27-2013, 06:58 PM
IMO, Trion (and MS and Sony) are separating the player base too much. Wouldn't it be nice if you could play with friends and guildmates no mater where they lived and no matter which platform they used? I do understand some of MS / Sony concerns of mixed player base... However, IMO, Trion should convince these giants (it won't be easy) to at LEAST allow any Xboxer to play with any other Xboxer anywhere in the world. Same for Sony.

We don't have regional locking for the PC platform because Trion can control that. I have beta chars on both North America and EU. So, if Sledge can swing his hammah and make these region locks go away it will be good for the player base AND good for Trion.

The server stress even with a region lock for the beta proved to be something of a challenge. Now you're going to put more weight on a dead horse and ask it to run?

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 07:00 PM
The server stress even with a region lock for the beta proved to be something of a challenge. Now you're going to put more weight on a dead horse and ask it to run?
u know what a stress test is right? they make it lag on purpose aswell...

freecreditscore
03-27-2013, 07:06 PM
u know what a stress test is right? they make it lag on purpose aswell...

So they purposely made it so you can't spawn a vehicle with the first 12 hours of the game? Or switch weapons. How about the sign in errors that were due to servers being overstressed in the US. But I'm sure with the intense amount of schooling you had to ignore capitalization and put the letter "u" in place of the word you, you're the best source to listen to.

Dodece
03-27-2013, 07:12 PM
@Perx89/Valethar

I think you are both confused. Trion doesn't even come close to being the bottom feeder that some developers are, and frankly even Electronic Arts doesn't qualify as such. Yes they have some horrendous ethics, and put gouging the consumer ahead of actual good customer service, but still like it or not. They do make playable games. There are a lot of developers throughout the history of this industry that couldn't even do that, but it didn't stop them from selling them to unsuspecting consumers.

Look I don't think much of Electronic Arts, and I don't intend to buy any of their games going forward. I have had my fill of their just plain underhanded tactics, and I really don't want to reward them based on principle alone. That doesn't make them the gaming equivalent of a child molester, ******, or serial killer. Yes they are sleazy jerks that are trying to way overcharge consumers, but they aren't selling complete garbage, and Trion isn't doing that either.

You want to say someone is the worst company just go look at metacritic, and see how many shovel ware studios have averages in the teens. There are quite a few of those.

Hiero Glyph
03-27-2013, 07:20 PM
So they purposely made it so you can't spawn a vehicle with the first 12 hours of the game? Or switch weapons. How about the sign in errors that were due to servers being overstressed in the US. But I'm sure with the intense amount of schooling you had to ignore capitalization and put the letter "u" in place of the word you, you're the best source to listen to.

The beta servers were hardly optimized; note how the servers improved as the beta continued. Also, the version used for the beta was rather dated; you would note this if you have watched any of the alpha livestreams. You make it sound like connecting with someone from a farther distance will dramatically decrease your connection to a fixed server. In reality, it will have minimal effect and connecting on a P2P server is far worse, yet entirely playable. Also, if you want to nitpick grammar, try not to end a sentence with a preposition (it's usually a Midwest thing).

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 07:20 PM
thats a stress test asswipe and i do u cause i do sorry **** im so freaking sorry forgive me now if u dont mind i dont wanna waste my breath on u thanks

p.s its online i dont care about my grammar ;)

freecreditscore
03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
thats a stress test asswipe and i do u cause i do sorry **** im so freaking sorry forgive me now if u dont mind i dont wanna waste my breath on u thanks

p.s its online i dont care about my grammar ;)

All I'm saying is you hardly seem educated on the matter since the only thing you say is "stress test" because you read about it in the forums. But I'm questioning your overall maturity considering you are trying to personally attack me. Cute. But I'm aware that it was poorly optimized, and that it was improved netcode in the alpha, but the overall stress is increased on a server, when the latency is increased. Why do you think host based servers can red bar til the host is eventually kicked? The strength of a server isn't infinite. Hell they even had to limit the amount of people in the beta you could see in one shard because the servers were so overstressed.

Babar
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi,

I do not about Trion until this game... but I know a little about the video game industry.

I just sign-in here to ask the question again, can I play from Usa, with an american game/system, and an european or american account (got both) on the european server? (I am european living in Usa, want to play with my friends/family...)

As soon as I got THE answer I will pre-order (or not is the answer is no) the ultimate edition. I am sure to not be the only one.

edit. I am talking about the xbox version, but I am open to the ps3 version if there is any positive difference about the servers politics

I know the question was already asked, please answer before the week-end, thank you.

ps. sorry for the weird english

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
All I'm saying is you hardly seem educated on the matter since the only thing you say is "stress test" because you read about it in the forums. But I'm questioning your overall maturity considering you are trying to personally attack me. Cute. But I'm aware that it was poorly optimized, and that it was improved netcode in the alpha, but the overall stress is increased on a server, when the latency is increased. Why do you think host based servers can red bar til the host is eventually kicked? The strength of a server isn't infinite. Hell they even had to limit the amount of people in the beta you could see in one shard because the servers were so overstressed.

right sorry i got to correct ya.

1. it was a stress test its to check how much each server can take in terms of lag

2. u attacked me saying i wasnt educated so **** (personally idc for my grammar even ask my mates they know i dont they bring it up alot)

3. not being funny but i have worked on private servers of certain mmo games i know a server isn't infinite i dont expect it to be

also everyone who signed up got in the beta v.v if u bothered reading people signed up midway and got in...

CharmCitysKing
03-27-2013, 07:39 PM

the games are already shipped. so dont expect a game like this to be flauless on the release day. they will patch this game a numerous amount of times for the 1st month. I sure as hell hope its not allot, but i stilll aint canceling my collectors edition, being the 1st Legit MMO 3rd person shooter to hit Consoles.

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
the games are already shipped. so dont expect a game like this to be flauless on the release day. they will patch this game a numerous amount of times for the 1st month. I sure as hell hope its not allot, but i stilll aint canceling my collectors edition, being the 1st Legit MMO 3rd person shooter to hit Consoles.

i was close to canceling to be honest but yer they have shiped got my email thats it is on its mery ol way

CharmCitysKing
03-27-2013, 07:42 PM
i just noticed tHAT sledgehammer said this almost 24 hours ago...what happend? did i miss his responce?

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
i just noticed tHAT sledgehammer said this almost 24 hours ago...what happend? did i miss his responce?
nope just taking a long long time

Hiero Glyph
03-27-2013, 08:00 PM

This assumes that everyone has a strong connection. In reality a strong overseas connection places less stress on the server than a poor local connection. There are far too many variables to blame international connections as the root cause of excessive server latency. While they can contribute to latency issues, they are certainly not the primary cause.

EDTI: For the record, I just spoke with one of my friends in AU and discovered that there is a fiber line that runs from AU to the US. No such line exists for connecting them with EU, and even if there were those lines would be incredibly overpopulated due to local traffic in Asia.

Drayven
03-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Looks personally i dont care about the "lag" issues, they have never caused me any problem.
This region lock issue is not about the ping or the lag, its simply a matter of choice.

Why should PC and PS get that choice and us XBOX players not. PC, PS and XBOX will
all suffer the same lag issues, so i do not believe that is the reason.

We have been requesting this information now for sometime. With the easter weekend coming up
its going to make it hard for those people that would like to know before pre-ordering or if they really want to
cancel their pre-orders, which they have the right to do so because they have been mislead uptill about 5 days
ago when somebody may of misspoke.

Also i feel strongly about this region lock issue ok, but come on dudes there is no need to get rude or aggressive towards
each other. We are the players we should stick together, however if you do not agree with the players that are trying to
get their answers please dont post anything against us in here. we are just trying to find out information that has recently
changed.

mrsmileyyyyyyy
03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
okay :/ sorry about all the posts that i was saying it all is bull and what not i just really wanna play with my UK buddys and friends and be able to meet new ones in different pleases

Drayven
03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
@mrsmileyyyyyyy i feel your pain brother, im right there with you.

Nerdy Ryuu
03-27-2013, 11:49 PM
I keep checking this topic hoping for a answer. Tomorrow is Friday last day to preorder online and get it on release date. I need to know like now.

Nomad N7
03-27-2013, 11:56 PM
I keep checking this topic hoping for a answer. Tomorrow is Friday last day to preorder online and get it on release date. I need to know like now.

Where you from mate?

Mahemium
03-28-2013, 01:49 AM
I'd really like to know ASAP aswell. As an Australian it's very important to know the server set up; if this game follows normal region locking procedure it kind of voids the point of an MMO for me. If there's the standard AU/NZ region locking on an Asian-Pacific server, the ingame population will be a random mash up of English, Malay, Thai, Japanese, Mandarin, Samoan, Korean, Tonganese, Tok Pisin, Vietnamese etc players. It doesn't usually matter, but given that the appeal of MMO's is that they're more social in nature, it really creates a barrier when the only English speaking players come from two small countries with small populations.

Lazy
03-28-2013, 01:49 AM

Not sure how Easter works elsewhere but in the UK today will be the last day to order to get it Tuesday as Friday is a bank holiday..

mikepaul
03-28-2013, 05:05 AM
Are we talking "region" locking for more than trying to limit lag?

I played Mass Effect 3 multiplayer with a bunch of people from Europe, and one Japanese guy who tested out his English by swearing at me. No big lag I noticed, but that was a small crowd compared to the potential number of people playing this game at once.

Perhaps someone knows how much computing power is required for WoW to work acceptably, and whether Defiance is ready to ramp up that high if the game gets popular and stays there. Not that *I* expect to play it forever...

gohan661
03-28-2013, 06:08 AM
http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/1599769.jpg

Ndotw
03-28-2013, 06:43 AM
http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/1599769.jpg

Damn you Scumbag Steve!

craigland
03-28-2013, 06:51 AM
I will stay tuned :D

Hiero Glyph
03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
This is starting to get a bit ridiculous. An announcement for an announcement that requires an update? At some point Trion has to realize how unprofessional the lack of information is becoming.

Perx89
03-28-2013, 07:24 AM
This is starting to get a bit ridiculous. An announcement for an announcement that requires an update? At some point Trion has to realize how unprofessinoal the lack of information is becoming.
Amen. Exactly what Iam thinking, this behaviour is so unprofessional, makes Trion look ridicilous, they seem to be too stupid to type a short info and stick it in the xbox forums, which would be work for lets say 5-10 minutes...

Tibbs
03-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Amen. Exactly what Iam thinking, this behaviour is so unprofessional, makes Trion look ridicilous, they seem to be too stupid to type a short info and stick it in the xbox forums, which would be work for lets say 5-10 minutes...

But hey, they have a new Defiance video up! That makes it better right? /sarcasm off

Edit: I think Sledge feels that telling is he has not forgotten about this issue is the "touch base" post you are looking for.

RottenMeatPuppet
03-28-2013, 07:39 AM
I have a buddy in the UK who was very excited for this game. After I told him about this potentially bad news he is now debating canceling his preorder.

I think they know a lot of peoples decision to buy the game hinges on the answer to this question and by withholding a definitive answer they may be able to keep some cash in their pockets. Of course that can also work against them and people will decide to cancel anyway because there is no answer as of yet. There is no other reason I can think of why a developer of the game would not know the answer to this question come less than a week till it's launch.

Perx89
03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
I have a buddy in the UK who was very excited for this game. After I told him about this potentially bad news he is now debating canceling his preorder.

I think they know a lot of peoples decision to buy the game hinges on the answer to this question and by withholding a definitive answer they may be able to keep some cash in their pockets. Of course that can also work against them and people will decide to cancel anyway because there is no answer as of yet. There is no other reason I can think of why a developer of the game would not know the answer to this question come less than a week till it's launch.
Thats a shame, if they really plan to do it like that. Because thats some important information right here, the customers should get info about this, because its important for a lot of people. Trion is really starting to look like amateurs.

jtbrig7390
03-28-2013, 08:44 AM

I think they know a lot of peoples decision to buy the game hinges on the answer to this question and by withholding a definitive answer they may be able to keep some cash in their pockets. Of course that can also work against them and people will decide to cancel anyway because there is no answer as of yet. There is no other reason I can think of why a developer of the game would not know the answer to this question come less than a week till it's launch.Me and a friend have already canceled due to this and how Trion has been treating the game.

I live in the US and he Lives in UK we can't play together so there is no point in getting this now. I canceled my reserve "60$" and he did his "60 €" so that is profit Trion is not getting due to poor customer service. I am personally tired of game company's giving us gamers really poor customer service.

This is a major question that needs to be answered and Trion kepps refusing to answer it until release so they can try to max profits.

I also feel Xbox360 gamers are getting the shaft on all of this. This is not a question that needs to be answered at a later date it is a question that needs a answer now.

I can game on xbox360 with my friend on any other game but defiance and the BS they will tell us is because of lag....and I call BS to that.

Perx89
03-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Cancelled too, fed up with this b.s by trion. Ill rather buy Bioshock.

slavishpuppet
03-28-2013, 09:17 AM
^^^im about to follow and i completely agree with jtbrig7390

Quebra Regra
03-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Me and a friend have already canceled due to this and how Trion has been treating the game.

I live in the US and he Lives in UK we can't play together so there is no point in getting this now. I canceled my reserve "60$" and he did his "60 €" so that is profit Trion is not getting due to poor customer service. I am personally tired of game company's giving us gamers really poor customer service.

This is a major question that needs to be answered and Trion kepps refusing to answer it until release so they can try to max profits.

I also feel Xbox360 gamers are getting the shaft on all of this. This is not a question that needs to be answered at a later date it is a question that needs a answer now.

I can game on xbox360 with my friend on any other game but defiance and the BS they will tell us is because of lag....and I call BS to that.

This is seriously jeopardizing my purchase decision. The majority of the people I play with are in the UK (I'm on the East Coast of the US). I have no lag issues in any other game playing with them (Battlefield3, MassEffect, etc.). I've also got friends here in the US with bad internet connections, that have worse lag issues.

If the lag excuse is to be used, it should be related to ping milisecond delay, etc., and not some BS geographic region demarcation. It's the @$)*& Internet kids, and it's 2013!!!

tirramprab
03-28-2013, 09:22 AM
People are already receiving their copies of the game and there is still no word on the exact nature of the region locking...? 0_o?!?

DOOM996
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I DONīT cancel my pre-order cause i think i can play with my UK friends! Played the beta together so why should it not work with the retail version!? But i understand people canceling it for several reasons. I also have a bunch of US guys on my XBL list, but i loved the beta so much so thereīs no way for me to give up so easily! I can play with some of my friends and thatīs what counts for me!

RottenMeatPuppet
03-28-2013, 09:33 AM
This is seriously jeopardizing my purchase decision. The majority of the people I play with are in the UK (I'm on the East Coast of the US). I have no lag issues in any other game playing with them (Battlefield3, MassEffect, etc.). I've also got friends here in the US with bad internet connections, that have worse lag issues.

If the lag excuse is to be used, it should be related to ping milisecond delay, etc., and not some BS geographic region demarcation. It's the @$)*& Internet kids, and it's 2013!!!

I'm in the same situation where I'm on the east coast and I play games with my friend in the UK from time to time without any noticeable issues. I can't believe that in an MMO where the key component is to keep servers alive that they would limit us to our region.

The community is fractured enough by being spread across 3 platforms and the game isn't exactly considered to be a big deal in the gaming world. If they hope to keep this game alive long enough for people to start buying their virtual money then they need to allow the community to be as open as possible between regions.

jtbrig7390
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I DONīT cancel my pre-order cause i think i can play with my UK friends! Played the beta together so why should it not work with the retail version!? But i understand people canceling it for several reasons. I also have a bunch of US guys on my XBL list, but i loved the beta so much so thereīs no way for me to give up so easily! I can play with some of my friends and thatīs what counts for me!If ur location is true that is why u was able to play with ur UK friends because Germany is on the EU server.

But you would not be able to play with ur US friends. No one was able to play cross region"On consoles at lease" in the beta and good chance its that way for live as well.

So when it comes down to it Trion made ether one of 2 stupid choice's those choice's are.

A) Defiance is region locked
Or
B)Defiance was only region locked for the beta and won't be come live and that is a really stupid choice because testing it on a live open game will lead to major game breaking bugs and in the end they will just region lock it.

Testing Cross-Region servers is something that should have happen in the beta plain and simple

No matter of the two choice's I canceled my pre-order due to the poor customer service trion has given us and won't be buying defiance.

Babar
03-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Olalalalalalalala :p

Is it so hard to answer a question ?

People here tell Trion about bugs, issues... people here help Trion to improve their game, but Trion can not be clear and answer this simple question.

If Trion is not clear, I will assume that is because the game will be region lock without possibility of any choice.

I am sure it is better to not talk about the region lock than answering... poor Trion they can loose customers by telling the truth.

I am pretty sick of video game, I did the beta, comment the quests, was ready to pay 150dollars, the game was 'fresh', but I will pass, even with a answer now I will doubt it.

Why some threads about the region lock, found on google, can not be open ?

I am very suspicious, as I said before I do not know about Trion, but now I start to have my opinion about them.

This behaviour is unprofessional and disrespectful.

TRMC606
03-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Can't play with alot of my friends etc, I'll probably play this when their not online (I'll have to stick to that dirty community, item duping & constant glitching lame borderlands 2)...
Soo wheres our news? Wheres that announcement?

Drayven
03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
I agree, its been close to 24 hours that we were told that he would be giving us an answer shortly. i would of expected an answer by now.

Your comment about threads not be able to open, i wrote in a thread about 48 hours ago, it was a thread 10 pages or so long. after i posted my comment they deleted it completely. i have searched for the thread and everything, they didnt even lock the thread.

I feel like we should email as requested to community@defiance.com ( i believe thats the correct address ) with our question or opinion on this matter. We should no have to wait any longer for this answer being so close to release

RottenMeatPuppet
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Even if I don't buy the game I'll at least watch the show. At least I know it isn't limited to one region so me and my friend from the UK can talk about it.

Buruko
03-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Even if I don't buy the game I'll at least watch the show. At least I know it isn't limited to one region so me and my friend from the UK can talk about it.

But it will have separate air dates. :-P

Quebra Regra
03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
I agree, its been close to 24 hours that we were told that he would be giving us an answer shortly. i would of expected an answer by now.

Your comment about threads not be able to open, i wrote in a thread about 48 hours ago, it was a thread 10 pages or so long. after i posted my comment they deleted it completely. i have searched for the thread and everything, they didnt even lock the thread.

I feel like we should email as requested to community@defiance.com ( i believe thats the correct address ) with our question or opinion on this matter. We should no have to wait any longer for this answer being so close to release

Yes, some threads have been removed. Much to the admin's chagrin, some of the content has already been cached and can still be read:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2gqJwQzWjgEJ:forums.defiance.com/showthread.php%3F8075-Xbox-Version-IS-Region-Locked+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

My advice to the admins is that honesty is the best policy.

RottenMeatPuppet
03-28-2013, 10:46 AM
But it will have separate air dates. :-P

Will it? My friend said the 15th over there but it is possible he was reading the American premiere date. He also said that they get the game on the 2nd when normally they get their games on Fridays I believe.

Babar
03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Yes honesty is the best policy... or not that depend your point of view... I you want to sell games it is maybe better to be unclear, and delete topics that can make people rethink about buying the game.

Of course maybe I am wrong and Trion do is best blablabla, Sledge maybe had a car accident and can not answer right now... of course everything is possible.

But you can not blame for guessing, and my guess is that they do not give a damn about us.

Please Trion proove me I am wrong, I will apologize and buy your game that I really want to play WITH my friends.

Marquis
03-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Cross Platforms & Region Locks?

Will Defiance Have a cross platform Play? We know from what we have read on the forums that Sony Entertainment And Microsoft do not get along, and due to this Corporation greed and stupidity PS3 players will not be able to play with X-Box players on the same servers.

But what about Computer players, Can they play with X-Box players on the same server since they both use Microsoft programs?

Also We have a friend from Canada that plays on her PC What about this Region Locks, Will we be able to play with her if she uses her X-Box and we use our X-Box?

Or can she use her PC and play with us if we use or X-Box?
Thank you for your time

Babar
03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
edit. for the show I doubt that the american version will be on tv at the same time as the german, french, italian, spanish... just for several reasons... of course there are others ways to watch the show...

Buruko
03-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Will Defiance Have a cross platform Play?

But what about Computer players, Can they play with X-Box players on the same server since they both use Microsoft programs?

No. No cross platform play between any of the three platforms.

Also We have a friend from Canada that plays on her PC What about this Region Locks, Will we be able to play with her if she uses her X-Box and we use our X-Box?

SO far the speculation is that the regions are NA and EU, so Canada and US players should be in the same Region.

Or can she use her PC and play with us if we use or X-Box?

No. No cross platform of any kind.

Buruko
03-28-2013, 11:16 AM
The delay in Sledge's post is probably because they have taken the issue to some management/committee group to clarify and define the region lock. They may even have taken this to Microsoft and asked 'what can we do?' to redefine what the Region lock means.

Let us not forget that they are developing and producing a game as a business, so there are some things that have to be handled through business channels.

I know this much, when Sledge has promised an update he has always delivered. So relax, it'll be here soon.

Nerdy Ryuu
03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
The delay in Sledge's post is probably because they have taken the issue to some management/committee group to clarify and define the region lock. They may even have taken this to Microsoft and asked 'what can we do?' to redefine what the Region lock means.

Let us not forget that they are developing and producing a game as a business, so there are some things that have to be handled through business channels.

I know this much, when Sledge has promised an update he has always delivered. So relax, it'll be here soon.

I think people are just trying to keep this bumped so sleg know we are still waiting.

BUt I dont think the servers have anything to do with MS , because every other game on xbox is region free. MS put out gears 2 weeks ago and its region free. Why would they lock this one game? LOl even Happy wars is region free/

Hiero Glyph
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
So relax, it'll be here soon.

The only problem is that the release date will be here soon too. At some point this information needs to become public knowledge as it directly affects the purchasing decision of many consumers. While I understand that politics play a part in every buisness decision, Trion had no issue advertising the game as being able to select the region for months before release. In the end we deserve an answer, even if it is not the one we want to hear (and one that will hurt Trion).

EDIT: In 15 minutes, Sledge will have had 24 hours since his update. I feel that is enough time to provide a reply given that this issue has been a concern since last Friday. At this point I feel like they are purposely stringing us along.

D Knight X91
03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
I think Trion Worlds heard that Xbox is region-locked (do to different TV formats, something PC doesn't has so they aren't use to) and now they learned its just that, not the servers and are trying to word it right to make them sound good still.

Hiero Glyph
03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
I think Trion Worlds heard that Xbox is region-locked (do to different TV formats, something PC doesn't has so they aren't use to) and now they learned its just that, not the servers and are trying to word it right to make them sound good still.

How difficult is it to describe if we can select our regional server when creating a character or not? Either we can or we can't. The details only matters once this question has been answered.

D Knight X91
03-28-2013, 11:37 AM
How difficult is it to describe if we can select our regional server when creating a character or not? Either we can or we can't. The details only matters once this question has been answered and for most of us the details are not important once this question is answered.

I saying they just don't want to sound like they don't know what they are doing.

KaosPenguin
03-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Cancelled too, fed up with this b.s by trion. Ill rather buy Bioshock.

You will be severely disappointed with the newest one.

Hiero Glyph
03-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I saying they just don't want to sound like they don't know what they are doing.

It's 5 days until release; by not providing an answer they have already demonstrated that they don't know what they are doing with an MMO on the 360. Most of us only care because we still want to play Defiance despite this fact.

EDIT: This post is exactly 24 hours after Sledge's update. At least we know that 'shortly' means more than 24 hours.

Babar
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
ok

I (maybe we?) do not care to know whose choice it is, microsoft or trios.
I do not care to know why.

As said before I want to know if it is possible, YES or NO

Sledge is a cool guy maybe I don t know, I don t care, he is following orders.
I want an asnwer, and I am assuming they are not answering to sell more (I am maybe wrong but without answer I am assuming).

edit I care because if YES I buy if NO I do not buy, and Trios is aware of that that is why they are not answering and deleting topics

The game is not free, soon I will not be able to preorder, I came on this forum, try the beta, react about it... so now please an answer will be great.

Tibbs
03-28-2013, 11:44 AM

The problem is that there us a feeling around that trion is not answering to avoid cancellations. I will repeat this again. This question is not 2 days old. It was brought up last week. Now trion is up against the wall stumbling for something to say. Beta was just beta. People should not cancel because of bugs. But this is a make or break issue for some people.

Nomad N7
03-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Oh, still no news aye?

Hiero Glyph
03-28-2013, 11:47 AM
But this is a make or break issue for some people.

QFT!
(10char)

Btd5025
03-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm all for gaming with fellow Muricans'

Region Lock means nothing to me.

TG Merc
03-28-2013, 11:50 AM
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u545/Bl00dPre55ure1/LETSJUSTWAIT_zpsf6a4686a.jpg

Hiero Glyph
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Apparently the CE/UE delay is more important than Region Locking... http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?11159-CE-UE-Release-Update-–-Some-Delays-At-Select-EU-Retailers

Tibbs
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Apparently the CE/UE delay is more important than Region Locking... http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?11159-CE-UE-Release-Update-–-Some-Delays-At-Select-EU-Retailers

Well, yeah that is another issue that sucks. I am glad they are addressing that as well. I say let them download it.

ALVn
03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Well, yeah that is another issue that sucks. I am glad they are addressing that as well. I say let them download it.

And he didnt even clear this issue up.. His post is just a more secretive version of what amazon HAVE already told us..

Sledgehammer70
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Update Posted: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?11174-Xbox-360-Region-Locking