PDA

View Full Version : Naming Characters

Adsinonimous
06-30-2012, 03:46 AM
Seeing as this is on Consoles, I'm wondering if naming your character will be separate from Gamertags and such. Also, will you be able to have multiple characters in Defiance?

Von
06-30-2012, 07:12 AM
I don't think you will be able to have more than one character.
When your allowed to have more than one character, it because
you want a different load out or different character class.
Since there are no classes in Defiance and you can equip your
character with anything you want, I don't think there would be
a need for more than one character. Of course I could be wrong.

Kalbuir
06-30-2012, 07:21 AM
I think it will mostly depend on what their plans on for specific types of progression. The only reason I would rather not have charactername == gamertags, for immersion sake. As a PC gamer I pride myself with at least taking fitting names for my character, heck if I have the chance my alts and mains have surnames with the same family or if not fitting different families even.

However using gamertags might be easier in the end, as it also easily identifies people cross games which could be a big factor for the xbox / ps3 community.

Kal

Escyos
06-30-2012, 06:53 PM
As long as people don't name their characters "SuperN00b99" or "Pwn69COOL" I'm okay with anything.

Malchuth
07-01-2012, 12:01 AM
oh escyos, a brave and absolut understandable but naive wish ... i remember the time playing 'everquest' when players who chose a not mmorpg compliant name for their character had a visit within 5 minutes of a GM telling them that he will rename the character in something appropriate. and no, that wasn't on a role playing server.

Adsinonimous
07-01-2012, 12:03 AM
As long as people don't name their characters "SuperN00b99" or "Pwn69COOL" I'm okay with anything.

This is why I'm doubtful about gamertags being used. Lots of people on Xbox already have names like that and I think they would want to change their name, but it costs to change your gamertag. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people having silly names as long as they aren't offensive or use profanity.

Kalbuir
07-01-2012, 02:47 AM
This is why I'm doubtful about gamertags being used. Lots of people on Xbox already have names like that and I think they would want to change their name, but it costs to change your gamertag. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people having silly names as long as they aren't offensive or use profanity.

Maybe a bit off topic and might even be pre-mature but I wonder if there are plans to support possible role-players in the new universe / franchise by at least flagging 1 server for such purposes. Although it might not belong in a shooter setting, on the other hand if ya look at the (failed) MMO FPS All Point Bulletin I remember a lot of roleplayers there during beta.

And in my opinion every single person who dug that game's idea will most likely seek a home here as well.

Cyber
07-01-2012, 12:19 PM
oh escyos, a brave and absolut understandable but naive wish ... i remember the time playing 'everquest' when players who chose a not mmorpg compliant name for their character had a visit within 5 minutes of a GM telling them that he will rename the character in something appropriate. and no, that wasn't on a role playing server.

True, but hopefully the chance of one's character name actually being mentioned in the TV show might be extra incentive to keep the lame naming at bay (at least somewhat). I can't see anyone called "Ipwnnoobs" ever having a shot at being mentioned, even if they were the best player around :)

Adsinonimous
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
True, but hopefully the chance of one's character name actually being mentioned in the TV show might be extra incentive to keep the lame naming at bay (at least somewhat). I can't see anyone called "Ipwnnoobs" ever having a shot at being mentioned, even if they were the best player around :)

Haha, I totally forgot about the Television show mentionings. I wonder if people will actually take this into account and think of a suitable television name or if people just carry on with their random, unreadable names filled with numbers and nonsensical symbols.

If it has an effect on a majority of people, I will be pleasantly suprised.

Kalbuir
07-01-2012, 01:01 PM
For all we know the game might have a naming filter though. Although that is not a magic fix to silly names it does solve the xZxC@@lGuy123xZx problem :P.

Malchuth
07-02-2012, 01:13 AM
a naming filter would be nice, only a capital letter allowed in first place of a name, no numbers and so on. also i would like to guess that a player, like in TSW, have to give his/her character a first and last name and an additional nickname.

Cyber
07-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Speaking of names, I hope there is a mechanism for reserving in-game names as well :)

urwifemykids
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
DCUO on the PS3 uses different toon name from your gamertag so i would think it follows suit

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Maybe a bit off topic and might even be pre-mature but I wonder if there are plans to support possible role-players in the new universe / franchise by at least flagging 1 server for such purposes. Although it might not belong in a shooter setting, on the other hand if ya look at the (failed) MMO FPS All Point Bulletin I remember a lot of roleplayers there during beta.

And in my opinion every single person who dug that game's idea will most likely seek a home here as well.

rift has done some great things for their RP crowd. perhaps that bodes well for those of you who are into that here

hysteria777
03-21-2013, 05:44 PM
i see what you're saying but i think you can go different ways in the story such the bandit or soldier etc. when your a bandit you follow the alian chick im not sure about the others plus in the beging the guy says " wait he / she isnt wearing your uniform but i dont know for certain i came hear because i wanted to see what the other routes were like but not set a new game like final fantasy 7 with the tifa and aeris relationship

trollnest
03-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Haha, I totally forgot about the Television show mentionings. I wonder if people will actually take this into account and think of a suitable television name or if people just carry on with their random, unreadable names filled with numbers and nonsensical symbols.

If it has an effect on a majority of people, I will be pleasantly suprised.

OH GOD. I just had the funniest (to me) thought, I hope that in some point in the show the main character and a raider have a standoff. The main character looks at the tattoo on the raiders forehead and says, "what does that say? xIPWNN00BSx ?" :The raiders eyes swivel up quizzically as though trying to read his own forehead tattoo, and promptly gets shot.

Paladin
03-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Why would you guys fish up such an old thread....god memories:/

Ilkadim
01-22-2015, 10:30 AM
My ticket on the character naming topic. I sent a ticket today, that's why:

I had a problem in the Defiance game and sent 1 ticket today: Erdag Ahmet Yilmaz Today 17:29 "Hello. I need help with Defiance. I already bought 2 times the rename item from the Defiance shop and other peoples have way longer chara names than mine and the name I want to use is not reserved or insulting but I can still not change it into the name I want to use."

Then I answered my own ticket with another informational comment:Erdag Ahmet Yilmaz Today 17:44 "As I wanted to make a screenshot of my situation and pressed for window mode during the 2nd time renaming as I described with Alt+Enter like described here http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?783-Window-Mode it finished accidently the 2nd renaming try. This game sucks but don't worry I will delete my account which I spent a little more than 100 Euros tomorrow morning „smile“-Emoticon , renaming doesn't work the 3rd time and I already bought at least 2 times renaming item from Defiance shop. The name is not insulting and nor reserved."

They gave me in the support chat later the opportunity to get my bits(real game money in the game) back, but as it was my 3rd attempt and 2nd time buying the renaming item from the Defiance shop I will delete my Defiance account tomorrow morning as I spent over 100 euro into this account for that game and this ingame naming problem is still there since the beginning of my first character creation. My second character had the Last Name that I wanted to give to my first character in the beginning, too. You can keep the money, byebye. The only occasion where I had problem with the Defiance game.

Mister Derpenhowser
01-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Is it possible to necro a thread older than this? Lol

Atticus Batman
01-23-2015, 12:19 AM
Is it possible to necro a thread older than this? Lol

Yes in general discussion, click last for page. It goes clear back to June of 2012. :D