PDA

View Full Version : Haven't played yet today, is the volge even worth killing?

Majik518
07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Or are they just another "boss" that only drop blue weapons and no ark salvage.

SaneFail
07-02-2013, 04:42 PM
They're worth killing for the challenge. If you have to have loot to be enticed to do anything though...then yes. They drop items, scrip and salvage.

cusman
07-02-2013, 04:45 PM
They are big and dumb and pack some heavy attacks. Stronger on attack than anything else in the game except a couple of the story mode bosses like NIM.

Zydrate
07-02-2013, 04:48 PM
I've gotten a lot of weapon skill and ark salvage from them. Pretty much every enemy drops something.

ColtenM
07-02-2013, 04:52 PM
They are a pretty decent fight.

Majik518
07-02-2013, 05:07 PM
They're worth killing for the challenge. If you have to have loot to be enticed to do anything though...then yes. They drop items, scrip and salvage.

This is a loot driven game, the ONLY reason to kill something is for loot. If that something doesnt drop loot, then there is no reason to kill it.

Sanguinesun
07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Past the +5 ego from the pursuit, it just depends if you feel spending time completing those emergencies is worth it for some drops up to a blue to break down into salvage. Otherwise they're probably just tag fodder and practice for knowing their AI for future things like their sieges.

Zydrate
07-02-2013, 05:27 PM
This is a loot driven game, the ONLY reason to kill something is for loot. If that something doesnt drop loot, then there is no reason to kill it.

Pursuits, maybe?

3rdpig
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM

Speak for yourself. I kill stuff for fun, loot is just icing on the cake.

Epyon
07-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Speak for yourself. I kill stuff for fun, loot is just icing on the cake.

Same here. People have forgotten that you play games for fun.

nitroz76
07-02-2013, 06:51 PM
No, you can't attack them on your own. (This goes for troopers)
It's best to go volge hunting in groups because you can take turns distracting them, giving everyone a chance to heal and get back in the fight. Because if you charge head on, or fight troopers alone, you will die.

RealHoosier07
07-02-2013, 07:43 PM
You absolutely can fight them solo....I have done it more often than not and it's a blast. You have to think real strategy when fighting the Volge solo. Here's one example of how I did it and it was really really fun. I was in Sausalito, in the southwest, and I cam across the Volge. Before I attacked, I stopped and decided to survey the area. I walk up and over a hill and there in the distance I see it....the forboding area that is home to a viscious crop of Raiders, Pirates Cove. The place was crawling with Rioters and other Raiders, so I knew this was risky, but I decided it was a great idea.

I went back to the Volge and drew them behind me, leading them right into a Raider attack. I ran and jumped into the water under a dock to get the Volge off of me and their attention turned to the Raiders. I crawled out of the water and ran to a truck. I watched as Raiders came running and attacked the Volge Troopers. I came out of cover and unloaded on the Volge as they fought off the raiders. 2 Rioters walked bravely right up to them and got some shots in before they met their demise. The Volge follow you very very far distances, so you can come up with some really cool ways to fight them.

I then ran onto the dock to finish the fight because the dock was a great GREAT place for fighting with tons of places to take cover. As soon as I saw Pirates Cove, I knew what I wanted to do....that place is full of shipping crates and a great place to take cover and fight strategically. That was so damn fun, it renewed my interest in this game again!

RealHoosier07
07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
I had a similar experience with using nano effect hellbugs just north of Seascape farms. It was a blast!

Aerion
07-02-2013, 07:56 PM
No, you can't attack them on your own. (This goes for troopers)
It's best to go volge hunting in groups because you can take turns distracting them, giving everyone a chance to heal and get back in the fight. Because if you charge head on, or fight troopers alone, you will die.
I'm sorry, what? You can't attack them on your own?

Yesterday I was doing some pvp and had time to kill between matches, waiting for the queue. Drove around aimlessly, ran into about 30 volge emergencies.

Standard procedure: drive right into a burning wreck on the road and eject your own vehicle. Keep line of sight with a single volge at a time. Proceed to mow them down like weeds.

No strategy, no distraction, no problem. As long as you're not completely irrational and die because you're out in the open, you'll finish them in seconds. The only ones that take longer than 5 seconds to kill is the Elite Viscera, and only because it has a lot of health, they're pathetic as opponents.

The Volge aren't frightening world-conquering terrors, I am.

As for the topic at hand, the salvage you get is from all the weapons that drop (mostly greens, some whites, some blues from elites). As emergencies they don't give keys, so other than weapons > salvage they're pointless if you (like me) have no need for any kind of experience (weapon or ego maxed).

GhostHunterX
07-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Volge are a blast !!! Last one & largest one drops blue weapons mostly. You won't walk away without at least 3-4 weapons plus scrip & salvage. They can be beaten alone and it is quite a challenge, but is much easier with two or three to help. I normally stop and ask if they want help if I see someone trying it alone or watch from a safe distance and get a good laugh watching someone get bombarded by their powerful guns having been there and watched everyone watch me die repeatedly until I crawled across helplessly the street and got them involved in my fight... so much fun... just when Defiance was getting boring, I have a new reason to keep playing... Now, if they'll only add more side missions...