PDA

View Full Version : which irath do you think is the norm for the race

dude26212
07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
the tribal spirit riders that are probably very similar to the way they were on their home planet or the sociable street rat Cass? or do you think its somewhere in between?

Opus
07-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Neither. I'd think that the Irathients would be more social with other Irathients back on their home planet. So far, they seem welcoming of all others of their kind. Like even when Sukar got stabbed by Irisa in the pilot, he was still smiling and taking pride in the fact she was truly Irathient. I think it's their past history with Defiance and other alien races that keep them so far isolated from everyone else. If anything, I'd think that they would live on communes or in small, spread out villages. And I'd like to think that Rynn's parents were indicative of typical Irathient life on their home planet.

Cass comes across as being very atypical of the Irathient race. She's a loner, aside when she needs our help, she only looks after her own interests, and she hasn't shown us any sort of religious preference. if anything, Cass comes across as more human than Irathient.

dude26212
07-02-2013, 09:03 PM
yeah i was thinking cass was either raised by humans or maybe grew up an orphan on the streets in either a true melting pot town (as opposed to the way defiance is where each race holds on very tightly to their cultural heritage it seems) or in a human dominant town

Wtflag
07-02-2013, 09:55 PM
All intelligent alien species ever shown on every movie/TV are just a exaggerated generalization of our Earth's subcultures.

Defiance is not different.

This is mainly due to the impossiblity of conveying difficult concepts to a wide range of audiences in that limited time frame.

Irathients are the Native Americans of the show in terms of culture basically. Spirit riders are clearly modelled on that. Cass is behaving like how a modern Native American would act in the modern society.