PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Arkfalls

D351
03-26-2013, 06:16 AM
I just watched the clip from the show and holy crap is that arkfall huge. Any hope of seeing arkfalls you can walk in to in game? Also did he call that thing a spire? Because I think I remember something about a spire in beta, and it didn't look like that. Continuity is important in sci-fi, even if it is syfy.

Nucleotides
03-26-2013, 06:22 AM
his arkfall was also a ship...not a rock.

ShadowStrider 7
03-26-2013, 06:26 AM
In the game, Arkfalls are represented by space rocks (crystals) as opposed to pieces of the falling arks...

Shogo_Yahagi
03-26-2013, 06:28 AM
In the game, Arkfalls are represented by space rocks (crystals) as opposed to pieces of the falling arks...

O_o Why would they do that?

ShadowStrider 7
03-26-2013, 06:31 AM

Good question. I'd like to know that myself.

D351
03-26-2013, 06:33 AM

Which is kinda... dumb.

ShadowStrider 7
03-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Which is kinda... dumb.

Agreed, but it could be that way because it would take a lot more resources to display falling ships... Crystals simplifies it, especially with everything else going on in the game during these events.

Dantos
03-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Maybe a beta placeholder?, I know the drops from arkfalls were disabled for this beta. Or maybe the later areas have arkfalls that are actual ship pieces?

ShadowStrider 7
03-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Maybe a beta placeholder?, I know the drops from arkfalls were disabled for this beta. Or maybe the later areas have arkfalls that are actual ship pieces?

Not having loot drop at arkfalls is easier to remove from the BETA as opposed to completely changing the way arkfalls are displayed.

And yes, maybe later on we'll have ship pieces, but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure the crystals are what we're getting.

ajcohen6373
03-26-2013, 06:51 AM
While I love the potential for bigger arkfalls. I cant imagine a console would handle something that big with a lot of players without crashing.

ShadowStrider 7
03-26-2013, 06:58 AM
While I love the potential for bigger arkfalls. I cant imagine a console would handle something that big with a lot of players without crashing.

It doesn't. Well, at least so far. 7/10 of my large Arkfalls causes me to hard freeze. Between visual lag (with so much going on) and audio drops, I tend to stay away from these Arkfalls.

EDIT (on Xbox 360)

Kantazo
03-26-2013, 07:01 AM
In the 14 minutes video the big Arkfall was like a huge ship, the devs could create a big ship type of event where you can enter like in other games have dungeons, well this big arkfall could be like a dungeon, you enter in the ship as entering in a dungeon.

D351
03-26-2013, 07:18 AM
In the 14 minutes video the big Arkfall was like a huge ship, the devs could create a big ship type of event where you can enter like in other games have dungeons, well this big arkfall could be like a dungeon, you enter in the ship as entering in a dungeon.

Didn't know you were sticking around... Either way, that's roughly what I was imagining... or at least just making them look more like chunks of ship... That wouldn't be all that code-intensive.

Kantazo
03-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Still waiting for the NDA lift, after that I will make my decision.

GT3000
03-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Didn't know you were sticking around... Either way, that's roughly what I was imagining... or at least just making them look more like chunks of ship... That wouldn't be all that code-intensive.

It's not code intensive, it's resource intensive. More complicated meshes and textures means it drags the system down further. I was under the impression that the arkfalls we're seeing is the pieces of the ships due to the heat of re-entry. It's feasible to imagine that the Votan arks crystallize when coming from space because they're not necessarily the hardened (for re-entry) outer hulls.

D351
03-26-2013, 07:25 AM
It's not code intensive, it's resource intensive. More complicated meshes and textures means it drags the system down further. I was under the impression that the arkfalls we're seeing is the pieces of the ships due to the heat of re-entry. It's feasible to imagine that the Votan arks crystallize when coming from space because they're not necessarily the hardened (for re-entry) outer hulls.

A plot excuse would be okay... I was mostly imagining a chunk of twisted metal...

Kantazo
03-26-2013, 07:34 AM

Did you watch the 14 minutes video, this one was a big one, no little ones, that is where the idea of dungeons came up.

SYN BLACK XS
03-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Crystals/Rocks may just be 1 form of Arkfall material, and all we were able to see during the beta (hopefully). One would think it wouldnt be too hard to make other objects that look like peices of a ship/etc. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg folks

Stashride
03-26-2013, 09:01 AM
With Rift, they had rifts (just like Arkfalls estentially) of varying sizes, so I think it would be easy for them to implement this into Defiance based on the fact that they know the formula already to make it work. I'd love to see some massive Arkfalls where 50+ people are trying to stop it, similar to how it was in Rift. The action there is chaotic and insanely fun.

Shogo_Yahagi
03-26-2013, 09:57 AM
I don't know if this is what you were thinking of, but on the last day I was playing the beta, there was an arkfall that had a huge red circle on the minimap, and within that large area, there were several smaller red circles indicating active arkfalls. It wasn't one big arkfall, but a swarm of smaller ones.

Kantazo
03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
At the beginning of the game I think in the first zone when you drive to the right on the road if you look to your right hand there is a big ol sheep crashed in the ground, why if they could make that, they couldn't do the same for Arkfalls, make a big ol piece of ship and when you enter will be like entering a dungeon, separate instance.

Cyrox
03-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Melting in atmosphere?

exxcess
03-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Agreed Kantazo! I can see a thing later on where it is a big ship wreck and there will be different instances like laboratory (mutants), terraforming house (hellbugs and mutants), technologies lab (androids) etc.

I wonder if there would be any EGO rating proficiencies for some instances?

Eldarch
03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
I felt underwhelmed with the arkfalls in the beta. For a major Arkfall I was expecting a Rift Zone Event. I found the arkfalls themselves to be very small in size, there was a very small area affected by it. Felt only a few meters across where as I would think a peice of a ship falling to earth would have a more significant impact to it. Like a large area of effect, maybe charred vegetation or chewed up terrain from it.

In rift a water rift would open and have water pouring from it and water dimension flora and fauna coming from it. I would like some of this but with fissured ground, charred foliage. I feel the hell bugs and other factions in the area provided me with the necessary fauna.

Also maybe stagger the ark call crashes. maybe 2 can fall and as those are finished additional arks can fall. Giving it an on going "major" feel to it.

Kantazo
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
I felt underwhelmed with the arkfalls in the beta. For a major Arkfall I was expecting a Rift Zone Event. I found the arkfalls themselves to be very small in size, there was a very small area affected by it. Felt only a few meters across where as I would think a peice of a ship falling to earth would have a more significant impact to it. Like a large area of effect, maybe charred vegetation or chewed up terrain from it.

In rift a water rift would open and have water pouring from it and water dimension flora and fauna coming from it. I would like some of this but with fissured ground, charred foliage. I feel the hell bugs and other factions in the area provided me with the necessary fauna.

What I would like to see is a type of dungeon with the big ship hull with an entrance in it and you can go in a have what excess suggested, also you could have in the area small parts of the same ship with a core like the one the guy extracted from the ship in the 14 minutes video and see the hellbugs attacking that core and do the same process as doing now with the big meteorite type crystal.

Jardian
03-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Bigger falls do happen something you guys got to remember we only seen a very small part of the game in beta. The noob area so to speak of the game. We never hit a major city even lol just backwoods settlements.

Viciouz
03-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I would like to point out that we experienced arkfalls in the first half of the starting area... there is allot more to discover in the world of defiance!