PDA

View Full Version : Volge? Buff!

Lasse B
07-05-2013, 03:51 AM
A Volge encounter pretty much always goes like this:
- seek cover behind the trucks
- get out, decimate a mob or two, get back into cover
- Grenadier (or whatever it's called): kill his shield, and during the time he flinches you can kill him
- Boss: just empty whatever gun you have into him. If he turns red: roll aside. If he turns blue: roll aside. Just don't wait forever to do so

That's it. Whole encounter can be completed in one minute tops. Not very challenging.

The Volge are bulky and slow. They trust their armor and weapons more than getting behind cover. That's their nature. So it would be against the lore to make them more agile and smarter. What could be done instead is to increase both their armor and weapon strength, perhaps give them weapons like seeker projectiles that are agile and can hunt players down, or at least drive them out of cover for a while. And in the boss stage, maybe have two bosses that try to keep each other safe.

Ghost Daze
07-05-2013, 04:49 AM
If you come and watch me, you will be on the floor laughing...

1-seek cover, take few shots.
2-scan for another cover, take a few shots.
3-do agility around truck while 2 volge chase you.
4-run out of ammo
5-let decoy go and play while u get ammo
6-run for cover and die.
7- respawn and repeat :)

Now...if a second player comes along, it is much easier, they can shoot them while i hide :D

Tharcion
07-05-2013, 04:59 AM
If you come and watch me, you will be on the floor laughing...

Yup. I'm with you, though it's usually more like:

1- Fail to seek cover. There is no cover since the stupid things are shooting me while I'm miles away from the encounter!
2- Die.
3- Respawn and think I can take them this time.
4- Die.
5- Give up and go look for something I actually enjoy fighting.

In short, Mr OP, wait until the sieges come out and you're fighting heavily buffed versions of these ones. Those should be nastier for you.
For the real world, having unstoppable monsters decorating the roads every hundred yards is irritating enough without making them more unstoppable.

(That said, tune their shields down a little and have them actually protect each other. That would at least be interesting. A genuine tactical challenge. There's almost none of that in this game (or any other).)

WarHoundZero
07-05-2013, 05:05 AM
I'm not sure why people want volge's to be buffed it's not that they're easy but when they have numbers *specifically troopers* they can be extremely dangerous. Hell imo the way they locc you down is just horid imo because it makes rolling bunny hopping and the what you would think be your biggest asset against a hulking mini tank useless.

Sir Dan
07-05-2013, 05:10 AM
why the volge?
the other factions are weaker
using cover is a staple tactic against most enemies in any shooter, you allude that its exclusive to fighting volge
the outlay you described is used against raiders & dmatter, but no buff for them?

Lasse B
07-05-2013, 05:45 AM
I'm not laughing at all. There are players who have issues with the Volge for whatever reason, and that's nothing to be ashamed of or to laugh about. Some people just aren't that versed because maybe they don't have the time to spend hours upon hours in a game, others may just have problems adapting to the game (like my dad; he's a good craftsman and likes inventing stuff, but games are somewhat difficult for him although he enjoys one shooter or another).

But there are so many NPCs of the easier type already in this game. All I'd like to see for a change is a few NPCs that can give more versed players a run for their money, as long as players have the option to drive around such NPCs and avoid the combat altogether.

N3gativeCr33p
07-05-2013, 06:53 AM
I agree with others who think other factions should be buffed before the Volge themselves are buffed.

RealHoosier07
07-05-2013, 07:07 AM
I agree with the OP that the Volge aren't tough enough. When you have 3 troopers or so to fight, then it gets tougher, but the other Volge are very easy. THe Viscera is slow and easy to dodge his attacks. The Viscera should have attacks that are one shot kills, because then it wouldn't be so easy to kill him. The boss fights should always be harder than the normal troopers. The Bomber is very easy...you just roll around until he starts reloading, then lay into him. Very easy. The only thing that makes the Volge hard is the Troopers....and they are supposed to be the lowest tier of Volge. I don't get that at all.

Bottom line is that the Volge need tougher attacks. If the Viscera is going to be so slow and easy to dodge, his attacks should be death if hit one time.

Parraba
07-05-2013, 07:08 AM
I don't find the Volge need to be any harder than they are. I have a really tough time fighting them, even when there are only three. My disappointment in these fights is the reward. It's 300 XP for a Hellbug Monarch, but only 60 XP for these supertanks? Maybe make the XP reward fit the challenge better, or have them drop better loot.

Folly
07-05-2013, 07:12 AM
I find difficulty varies hugely between different Volge encounters.
One fight I'll just run up and blast them to death one after another, with no trouble.
The next fight, I have adds spawning behind me and beside me while I'm fighting others; I run to cover and they rush me faster than any bandits; I run to another cover and they shoot right through the truck like it's not even there; respawn and as I'm running back, before I can even attack, a big volge 1-shots me from full health/shields.

Skoll
07-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Whole game is way to easy. We need BUFFS for all enemies, NOT NERFS.
Games should be challenging. Not easy like walk in the park.
BUUF'EM PLS :)

AvdielZion
07-05-2013, 08:13 AM
OP..

Don't use a SMG (Tachmag) with overload and defensive perks.

This is why its so easy for you, you use an SMG with syphon, and most if not all the defensive perks. With probably a shield that regens health, and has a fast regen time on it.

I think you need to do some coops alone

fang1192
07-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Yup. I'm with you, though it's usually more like:

1- Fail to seek cover. There is no cover since the stupid things are shooting me while I'm miles away from the encounter!
2- Die.
3- Respawn and think I can take them this time.
4- Die.
5- Give up and go look for something I actually enjoy fighting.

In short, Mr OP, wait until the sieges come out and you're fighting heavily buffed versions of these ones. Those should be nastier for you.
For the real world, having unstoppable monsters decorating the roads every hundred yards is irritating enough without making them more unstoppable.

(That said, tune their shields down a little and have them actually protect each other. That would at least be interesting. A genuine tactical challenge. There's almost none of that in this game (or any other).)

This sounds more like a personal skill problem. And Sieges will be even easier do to the higher number of targets and generally good cover where sieges take place. I think the Volge Siege in the E3 reveal took place at Kith & Kinship Plaza, that place has to much cover. Also, their shields are the least of your worries, they don't have damage reduction.

WarHoundZero
07-05-2013, 08:40 AM
This sounds more like a personal skill problem. And Sieges will be even easier do to the higher number of targets and generally good cover where sieges take place. I think the Volge Siege in the E3 reveal took place at Kith & Kinship Plaza, that place has to much cover. Also, their shields are the least of your worries, they don't have damage reduction.

The issue is that cover is the most staple part of killing them. In some instances and yes it happens due to how aggressive their ai is you'll find if you can't systematically over power them and kill the trooper unit you're meat and won't be able to find cover. I don't think it's skill it might be his build but even I suffer with a defensive build at times.

AvdielZion
07-05-2013, 08:52 AM
This sounds more like a personal skill problem.

Is it not a skill problem... Its people using high RoF weapons with SYPHON and defense perks with high shields.

fang1192
07-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Is it not a skill problem... Its people using high RoF weapons with SYPHON and defense perks with high shields.

So the problem is people having a different playstyle then you? BTW i dont have a high RoF weapon with syphon. And if youre planning on fighting the volge why wouldnt you load defensive perks? Theyre tough, you have to be tougher.

Edit: I use a Radiation SAW with... Blur. Not overcharge. If people are expecting to swagger in to any and every situation theyre going to have a tough time.

jazz
07-05-2013, 09:13 AM
I agree with the OP that the Volge aren't tough enough. When you have 3 troopers or so to fight, then it gets tougher, but the other Volge are very easy. THe Viscera is slow and easy to dodge his attacks. The Viscera should have attacks that are one shot kills, because then it wouldn't be so easy to kill him. The boss fights should always be harder than the normal troopers. The Bomber is very easy...you just roll around until he starts reloading, then lay into him. Very easy. The only thing that makes the Volge hard is the Troopers....and they are supposed to be the lowest tier of Volge. I don't get that at all.

Bottom line is that the Volge need tougher attacks. If the Viscera is going to be so slow and easy to dodge, his attacks should be death if hit one time.

yea the 3 trooper emergency with elite trooper spawn is the most difficult imho (spawns frequently across the road from Bug n' Chug) and that is definitely a challenge to complete solo and yes the bomber could use a buff

AvdielZion
07-05-2013, 09:19 AM
So the problem is people having a different playstyle then you? BTW i dont have a high RoF weapon with syphon. And if youre planning on fighting the volge why wouldnt you load defensive perks? Theyre tough, you have to be tougher.

Edit: I use a Radiation SAW with... Blur. Not overcharge.

That's what I am saying.. You need certain perks to beat them. I WANT people to have different playstyles. That's what makes games like this fun.

You cant really beat them with say JUST a BMG and not defensive perks.

With blur they cant really hit you. The SAW is still a semi high ROF weapon, and use can use the SAW as a semi high RoF Sniper. Its easy with a SAW/High RoF weapon and defensive perks.

fang1192
07-05-2013, 10:00 AM
That's what I am saying.. You need certain perks to beat them. I WANT people to have different playstyles. That's what makes games like this fun.

You cant really beat them with say JUST a BMG and not defensive perks.

With blur they cant really hit you. The SAW is still a semi high ROF weapon, and use can use the SAW as a semi high RoF Sniper. Its easy with a SAW/High RoF weapon and defensive perks.

BMG and no Defensive Perks? Why would you intentionally gimp yourself like that in the first place? Some part of skill comes from having the intelligence to realize somethings just wont work or take to long to work effectively.

Blur isnt used to make me move faster, it's there to let me empty all 85+ rounds into the Volges face without getting ragdolled.

You can use all the playstyles you want but every playstyle has weaknesses. The Volge just make you realize that playstyle isn't good against them. Every playstyle can still work, but fighting some enemies with one playstyle is a lot harder than fighting the same enemy with a different playstyle. Every other enemy just gets steamrolled by the player regardless of playstyle. The Volge are different.

The issue is that cover is the most staple part of killing them. In some instances and yes it happens due to how aggressive their ai is you'll find if you can't systematically over power them and kill the trooper unit you're meat and won't be able to find cover. I don't think it's skill it might be his build

Making and understanding a build is part of skill. Managing enemies is a skill. Knowing when to run is a skill. Knowing what works and what doesn't is a skill. If you are in a situation where you are completely unprepared, outgunned, in the open, and surrounded by tough enemies you should go down.

We finally have a challenging enemy. Let's keep it that way. The entire Volge lineup is intended to put pressure on the players. A far cry from every other enemy. Players have to find a way to manage that pressure.

Could they reduce the number of emergencies? Sure, no problem with that. But to nerf the Volge would be a huge mistake.

Hope499
07-05-2013, 10:03 AM
I agree with others who think other factions should be buffed before the Volge themselves are buffed.

oh helllllls ya.

The volge are good as is for a bit. If you don't STAY in cover whilst taking them down, they come up on you and murder you. I run them solo all the time, but if they made them have heat seeking missles..they would be impossible solo