PDA

View Full Version : Which EGO power for a healer?

Sludge
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Hello,

If I want to focus on healing rather than damage, which power is better to start with? I played the beta for about three hours, and that's all I've done in the game so I don't know very much.

Just a place to start would be helpful. Thanks.

Edit: To clarify, what I'm looking for is the EGO power which leads to healing boosts and maybe defensive abilities to keep me alive and keep others alive.

XJaeX
03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
For typical tanky healer, go for decoy. Fortitude should be your main priority for your health, decoy will help you revive your team.

A s0t
03-26-2013, 10:08 AM
you would need the perk for the cool down timer to self revive more than anything start there, the ai can't see you if your invisible, and the decoy you throw that out and the ai chases down that instead of you, and you can teleport to it as well

Salgod
03-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Hello,

If I want to focus on healing rather than damage, which power is better to start with? I played the beta for about three hours, and that's all I've done in the game so I don't know very much.

Just a place to start would be helpful. Thanks.

Edit: To clarify, what I'm looking for is the EGO power which leads to healing boosts and maybe defensive abilities to keep me alive and keep others alive.

All the best healer ego perks are near the decoy power.

XJaeX
03-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Decoy > Cloak . For revive at least.
You de-cloak when you revive unfortunetely. Decoy can send enemy attention elsewhere.
Perks around Cloak are more offensive and perks around Decoy are more defensive.

6Strummer
03-26-2013, 12:37 PM
http://defiance-central.com/ego-calculator/

Here's a useful tool for planning your ego point spending. The grid layout is a little different from the PS3 beta, so I'd guess this is how the release layout will be.

Argetlam
03-26-2013, 02:45 PM
that ego calculator is old, don't use it.

DepreszD
03-26-2013, 07:00 PM
For a more Healer role most definitely go for Decoy.

S4DN3SS
03-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm not a band-wagon, but Decoy is good because it can lure enemies away from you while you heal your team-mates.

6Strummer
03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
that ego calculator is old, don't use it.

Oh yeah? Dammit. I've been relieving my Defiance jones by watching videos and messing with that calculator. Oh well.

Desidus
03-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Biggest deal is get your hands on a BMG and use it a lot to lvl up your BMG skill. The best ability is probably decoy because it actually works while you heal people whereas cloak does not. However you could go with cloak and a high strength high delay shield and just let them chew on your shield while you heal and then cloak to get your shields back when your done healing.

rocco1986
03-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Was it just me or in beta did other players not get the point of why a healer is around? LOL i was running a 4 man instance and was healing, and every time i would go to heal someone they would run away and continue to take damage. ><

Daholic
03-27-2013, 05:57 PM
its probably because this game has no need for a healer type. anyone with a healgun in there inventory can heal

Vuule
03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
its probably because this game has no need for a healer type. anyone with a healgun in there inventory can heal

Sure.. But the people that focus on using BMG's and focus their skills on a more supportive role, are more affective.

Going to use Decoy myself. Played with Blur as my main skill and tried overcharge. Used Decoy a bit and it was pretty useful. Not to mention the skills that are more to my taste. Mainly the defensive skills, damage reduction.

Daholic
03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Sure.. But the people that focus on using BMG's and focus their skills on a more supportive role, are more affective.

Going to use Decoy myself. Played with Blur as my main skill and tried overcharge. Used Decoy a bit and it was pretty useful. Not to mention the skills that are more to my taste. Mainly the defensive skills, damage reduction.

I guess heres my point. The Beta was nice, and lord knows it can be better, but im not sure if the fan base understand what they really want from this game. I minute i hear its only a mmofps, but the features are rpg'ish. With that said, the majority of poster heres like the idea of a classless build, not having a specific role, hmmm ok im cool with that, i can adjust i suppose (im hardcore mmorpg), but in the same breath they want the ability to change perks that are "Class Specific".

This game is preaching classless but the perks and how you approach coop you've already assumes a role, without actually having the role specified. I just dont see whats so bad about having a role to play, and having it more incorperated in the game.

A perk is not a role. Vanish, Sub, Speed, or Damage is not a role.

For those that like to do support in coop, just because you carry a healing..a healer you are not.

Sludge
03-27-2013, 08:34 PM
For those that like to do support in coop, just because you carry a healing..a healer you are not.

If you look at some examples, say Rift (or any other standard MMO), you have trees which are most certainly healers, and others which are most certainly tanking, damage, control, etc. all of these trees have elements from other roles (tanks who self heal, healers who deal damage, tanky controllers, etc) but you always have a primary role.

Then look at a classless game like eve online or ultima online. You're open to choose whatever you want, but generally you're fitting into one role at a time. Eve had a lot more roles beyond healer, dps, tank, but if you were an armor repper you didn't have damage mods, and if you were a stealth bomber you wouldn't be tanky.

So when I ask for a starting ego for healer it's not because I want to be a Wow holy priest, but that I want to be the guy standing behind my team helping them stay alive. That might not be critical in coop dungeons in the beta, but I'm sure harder content will come out where it is necessary. Ad if not, in PvP it most certainly will.

I appreciate all the suggestions! Thanks everyone

Maixx
03-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Was it just me or in beta did other players not get the point of why a healer is around? LOL i was running a 4 man instance and was healing, and every time i would go to heal someone they would run away and continue to take damage. ><

Healers will be more effective or needed in clan/guild runs where your all working together.
Maybe higher end instance and Ark falls will need healers, but nothing in beta did.

DepreszD
03-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Biggest deal is get your hands on a BMG and use it a lot to lvl up your BMG skill. The best ability is probably decoy because it actually works while you heal people whereas cloak does not. However you could go with cloak and a high strength high delay shield and just let them chew on your shield while you heal and then cloak to get your shields back when your done healing.

Yea but then he/she would just make themselves more tank like and well we all know you dont want to confuse yourself with a tank if you're a healer.. Also, there are more valuable shields that can boost skills more focused to healing.

John Snow
03-30-2013, 07:17 PM
I would pick any of them except Overcharge. Everyone is saying Decoy but If anyone is a wow player knows that a locks Demonic Circle: Teleport is basically this move an therefor no what so ever a healer build but pvp and distraction. Remember this is not a class game and it doesn't matter unless you have the weapon. Your not going to heal a party with a shotgun are you? Decoy might be a better spec for guilds and people who actually play as a team rather than themselves. Decoys more of a party build. Overcharge is definitely a COD fantasy for a gun ho ima run in that **** and kill everything with no help player. The 3 other builds are more to the effect of party building and survival.

*** Never played beta nor seen in-depth insight into builds such as % or number THIS IS JUST A OPINION***

6Strummer
03-30-2013, 08:09 PM
I just dont see whats so bad about having a role to play, and having it more incorperated in the game.

Some people hate having roles on a team. One of my little brothers is that way. He won't play a game that's team based, especially if there's a healer or medic role. He wants to go Rambo and not worry about what anyone else is doing. Judging by the sales of Call of Duty, many people agree with him. Team based games are far more interesting to me and I like to play the healer role, so his attitude bugs me. I'll be using Overcharge and Decoy mostly, but I'm not sure which one I'll start with. Decoy for when I'm healing though.

Daholic
03-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Some people hate having roles on a team. One of my little brothers is that way. He won't play a game that's team based, especially if there's a healer or medic role. He wants to go Rambo and not worry about what anyone else is doing. Judging by the sales of Call of Duty, many people agree with him. Team based games are far more interesting to me and I like to play the healer role, so his attitude bugs me. I'll be using Overcharge and Decoy mostly, but I'm not sure which one I'll start with. Decoy for when I'm healing though.

In my previous mmorpg i was 1st mage, then roled a dwarf. I love dark damage and DoT's, plus battle Rez. I was very useful in parties, and i remember a boss fight that took 35min, because boss would continuosly aoe and there was always somebody who didnt watch the cast bar and was either to close or didnt pot in time. Every type of dps has a role in boss fights, priests and druids have their roles, hybrids have theirs, it all works.

Such epic boss fights, now i guess i have to bring it down a notch in Defiance, cant wait

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 01:08 AM
In my previous mmorpg i was 1st mage, then roled a dwarf. I love dark damage and DoT's, plus battle Rez. I was very useful in parties, and i remember a boss fight that took 35min, because boss would continuosly aoe and there was always somebody who didnt watch the cast bar and was either to close or didnt pot in time. Every type of dps has a role in boss fights, priests and druids have their roles, hybrids have theirs, it all works.

Such epic boss fights, now i guess i have to bring it down a notch in Defiance, cant wait

I had a human druid and a barbarian shaman in PS2's Everquest Online Adventures. I ended up playing the shaman more because of his pet, and had several different sets of gear depending on my role. I could be the primary or secondary healer and do a decent amount of damage, mainly because of my pet but also because I was a werelion. ;) My debuffs had damage over time so I had to be careful with them in case I had to root anything. Good times.

Evilishu
04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
One thing I think that needs to be addressed is that this game is about killing stuff as fast as possible and survival. Find a way to not burden your group with fiinding and rezzing you while doing as much damage as possible. To that end, the idea is to play to your strengths. Example: Some players have a secondsight that just lets them move out of danger faster than anyone else. if they are able to do damage at I high rate, they can focus on Perks that are pure damage in nature. Me, I'm a turtle and play like a Krogan in ME..LOL. I need to take perks that enhance shields, damage resist and damage after shields regen. There is a perk for faster self-rez and one for continuous health regen. My point to all this is that killing stuff and staying on your feet to put ordnance on target is the object, period. How you have to do that to maximize your play skills or style, is the way you should set the perks. There are ones that don't make sense together, like reduce the probability of getting caught in an explosion and the other is a buff when you are hit by one. A discussion for this game as though it were a traditional MMO is rather difficult to fathom. It's very unique that way. Anyway, hope the point isn't lost. spec to your playstyle, stay alive and kill-the-effers fast.