PDA

View Full Version : Its a beta - this is not a good enough excuse anymore.

code 117
03-26-2013, 10:47 AM
This is at the users on the forum, not the devs or mods. I'm just annoyed that forum users are using this excuse when they don't know anything about if the issues are even being worked on.

Its true there are plenty of busg and issues with this game, its an old version fo the beta. The alpha in the livestream shows major improvements.
The issue I'm having here is that everyone is using the 'its a beta' excuse for everything, including the region restrictions which are now confirmed and yet people still believe this is just an issue with the beta.

Just because you believe a feature is not present now, does not mean it will be there in the full release. The developers are donig their best to get as much done, but for features they haven't thought up yet, its likely not going to be in the full release.

If everyone says, don't pick issues with teh game and shout out the problems as they will fix it, then how will they know what to fix. The QA department are very good at their jobs, as with every other company for most games (except aliens), but there are things that others will notice they didn't.

Also, these moans will give ideas to the devs that will allow them to include things better in the future. If you say don't moan because its a beta, then that means you've played the full release and know that these issues had been sorted, meaning you've stolen the game before its been sent to the distributors, let me call the police. The only other way is that you have been in contact with the developers and they have told you all the fixes they have done and the other features they have put in. Then why haven't you posted t here and stopped people moaning in the first place.

'Its a beta' is not an excuse unless you have been told that problem is being fixed or has been fixed. Please change to, 'its in beta so as long as people aren't only moaning on here and have also reported it using the inbuilt feedback option, they should be able to fix the problem given the chance.'

Nervusbreakdown
03-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Are you also alpha player?

code 117
03-26-2013, 11:20 AM
I am allowed in teh alpha, but my PC is not good enough. I cannot say exactly anything about what I've seen (NDA), though I haven't played it as much as I would like since my graphics card died, or at least what you wanna call it constantly unable to recognise any input connections except vga, and even that flickers.

I'm not pointing that the bugs aren't fixed, they most likely are, seen in the alpha livestreams they do each week. The problem is people using 'its a beta' expecting fixes they don't know are even being worked on. They are saying things they themselves cannot confirm.

Most of the disappointments people have found with the game, 4 man groups ONLY, lack of ever seeing more than 3 of your friends on one server, were all created because many people said that it was the opposite, that you could have all your friends on one server fighting together without having to do anything yourself. I remember being told that ages ago, and now I'm disappointed. This was because the person assumed this feature was in the game, yet didn't have evidence to back it up.

Again, Its a beta is not a good enough excuse on its own, please find some fact or say why you believe it will be fixed or included.

Rokkrwolf
03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Most of the disappointments people have found with the game, 4 man groups ONLY, lack of ever seeing more than 3 of your friends on one server, were all created because many people said that it was the opposite, that you could have all your friends on one server fighting together without having to do anything yourself. I remember being told that ages ago, and now I'm disappointed. This was because the person assumed this feature was in the game, yet didn't have evidence to back it up.

Who says this feature still isn't there? Yeah there is 4 man groups which is kind of understandable in a few ways. But as far as not being able to play with your friends ect, there is always guilds. Which in turn will have access to a lot more players in one chat, both voice and text (last we heard of.) On top of that guilds/friends also get access over other players in shards. So technically you could play with more than just 4 in the same server.

As far as coop goes, they said they have been looking into bigger dungeons/groups. It doesn't mean it won't ever be there, it's just that way for now. The other reason they choose 4 man groups is because of Shadow War. As we know Shadow War currently holds up to 128 players which divided by 4 = 32 groups. Now if they made this a even number it would be unbalanced seeing as there would be a uneven number of players in the last group they didn't want that.

Either way I am sure they know people want more, so the more people voice the better chances you have at changing it. Will it be at launch if they decided? Probably not at this point I'd expect any big changes to take place post launch but anything is possible. Only thing people still base the whole "It's beta" comment is because it is a old beta one where pretty much all the fixes have already happened seen in alpha streams. So that's probably why they use it but they use it out of context as far as other things may go.

RLStroud
03-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I've been able to get into a few betas on the 360 and I quickly learned that aside from reporting any bugs you see, the best use for them is to get a general "is it fun" feel for the game. The one that always sticks out to me was the BF3 beta/demo. There were several under the map glitches and a few other things that people were screaming over and some even didn't get the game due to them. The game releases and surprise, they're all fixed!

If game controls are sloppy, or the aiming mechanics are terrible or anything major like that, then being a beta is certainly no excuse. But when it comes down to things like glitching under the map in places, some weapons being OP or things of that nature, I think the "beta excuse" is perfectly acceptable.

CaLaMaSaBy 360
03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Regardless if it's a beta or not, the game is an ongoing effort that can be improved and expanded upon with patches, updates, and DLC's. If it's not something you wish to spend your money on at the moment I understand. Want to wait to see if your issues are addressed? So be it, that's your prerogative. However, the most important thing is expressing your issues with sound reasoning and evidence so that developers have as much feedback as possible. I for one will support this game and its developers so that they can continue improving the game, which I feel is already giving you a lot of content for the one time buy. :)

Buruko
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm not pointing that the bugs aren't fixed, they most likely are, seen in the alpha livestreams they do each week. The problem is people using 'its a beta' expecting fixes they don't know are even being worked on. They are saying things they themselves cannot confirm.

Bugs get worked on, those that get reported. Proof is in the response time to correct Beta launch issues, of course I'm not sure how helpful all the submitted Beta feedback was as this build is already out to pasture.

Again, Its a beta is not a good enough excuse on its own, please find some fact or say why you believe it will be fixed or included.

Disappointment in a game design element is not a bug. As for lacking a feature you were expecting, also not a bug. How Guilds/Clans will work out moving into the launch of the game, we will see. As for 4 player groups, if you've ever used voice chat for a party larger than say 4 or 6 you should know it only gets harder to coordinate as the group itself gets bigger.

Grit
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
I've been beta testing this game like it was my job haha!! Ok so i put more hours into it in like 3-4 days than i actually "work" at my job haha!! As for using "its a beta" for an excuse does apply...

*insert situation where someone is complaining about the bells and whistles of the game and why they can't use their free stuff from the linked account*

reply: Dude, it's a beta...ya really think they'd have ya link all of your crap for a 5 day beta that you're gonna delete in a week anyhow because it won't be online anymore....

pretty good excuse if ya ask me..

i think the beta test was more of a server test...but i'm only guessing...so don't quote me on that.....

Daholic
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Bugs get worked on, those that get reported. Proof is in the response time to correct Beta launch issues, of course I'm not sure how helpful all the submitted Beta feedback was as this build is already out to pasture.

Disappointment in a game design element is not a bug. As for lacking a feature you were expecting, also not a bug. How Guilds/Clans will work out moving into the launch of the game, we will see. As for 4 player groups, if you've ever used voice chat for a party larger than say 4 or 6 you should know it only gets harder to coordinate as the group itself gets bigger.

i disagree with the larger groups being harder to coordinate. Lets take the 4-man co-op for exaple...

Other than asking for a rez, what need is there to coordinate? If the bosses are merely shootem till there dead can we assume avoiding gunfire is all the coordination one needs? When strat is introduced then no matter the size of the party coordination is a must. So far ive seen no strat, and please dont say killing the arkfalls require any, it really doesnt.

So far, in beta, ive been presented with a very nice game, with potential, but thats not quite enough

code 117
03-26-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm getting that my point isn't getting across, I know its a beta, so does everyone else, thats why its called a beta.

My point in general is that using just 'its a beta' is all people write. As you said for simple bugs, I'm not too fussed on, that is standard game issues as well. Its when they use it for features not currently there that get me. This gets people believing that just because it a beta, features not there will be in the full release.

People are being misled, and this causes aggro to everyone else.
If you don't know if its going to be there or not, don't say something like 'its a beta', as it makes people think that its something they've missed from info given by the dev/gm/mods. If you KNOW its in the final release, then that is fine, and you have the right to use its a beta but just end it with 'its been confirmed to be in the release'

CaLaMaSaBy 360
03-26-2013, 12:25 PM
I think for the most part people are not trying to mislead anyone. I think the predominant reason why you are hearing that excuse a lot is because there are still many features and things we don't know about even with the Beta NDA lifted because its not feature complete. The Alpha, I think, is still under some sort of NDA and most likely has more features than the Beta. We have to be patient while people like Sledgehammer relay the trickle of information as it's made available to the general public.

HaVoC
03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
As we know Shadow War currently holds up to 128 players which divided by 4 = 32 groups. Now if they made this a even number it would be unbalanced seeing as there would be a uneven number of players in the last group they didn't want that. What are you talking about?

Daholic
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
What are you talking about?

I think what he means is 4 groups of 32 players.

I thought MAG had it right, to bad the game is ruined

HaVoC
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
I think what he means is 4 groups of 32 players.

I thought MAG had it right, to bad the game is ruinedSo he thinks 32 & 128 aren't even numbers? Hmm I must have been taught wrong in school. But yea I wouldn't say broken but having only 4-player groups in an open world mmo is ridiculously stupid.

Rokkrwolf
03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
So he thinks 32 & 128 aren't even numbers? Hmm I must have been taught wrong in school. But yea I wouldn't say broken but having only 4-player groups in an open world mmo is ridiculously stupid.

I meant to say like if they had 130 I didn't mean even was just typing to fast(Plus I just woke up when I wrote it). I was thinking of them being even numbers and typed that instead, oops on me. It happens. But it would be unbalanced because it would offset the groups of 4. They last group would get screwed. So to make it balanced they flushed it out so it was 4 man groups in over world and coop.

Take pvp for example most pvp games are 16x16 players so 4 groups of 4 and so forth it's just about balance.

HaVoC
03-26-2013, 02:07 PM
I meant to say like if they had 130 I didn't mean even was just typing to fast(Plus I just woke up when I wrote it). I was thinking of them being even numbers and typed that instead, oops on me. It happens. But it would be unbalanced because it would offset the groups of 4. They last group would get screwed. So to make it balanced they flushed it out so it was 4 man groups in over world and coop.

Take pvp for example most pvp games are 16x16 players so 4 groups of 4 and so forth it's just about balance.So if the group number was 8 it couldn't work? 8x16 = 128 I understand your point but most people who play on Xbox just want 8-player groups because it makes sense considering the party size for Xbox is 8. Bottom line, it would be easy for Trion to patch/update it into the game.

Brock 5amson
03-26-2013, 03:16 PM
This is a beta, and not a true real beta to be truthful. You want the real beta? Play it on PC, because that's where most of the balance changes were made.

This is more of a stress test for console servers, and nothing else really. The whole mission grading is more of a check to see if any sort of console engine mistake may exist. That's it guys it's a dumbed down beta for a console. Most of the 1 week "beta" on consoles have always been server stress tests.
You want to read into it more, go ahead. I won't stop you, but you are just wasting your times, and being ignorant bastards.

Now onto the 8 players groups. It doesn't make sense at this point. Easy to apply? Not really. You have to mess with the GUI to get everything symmetrical again just to fit 7 players life details. Plus the additional coding and callbacks.
I also never heard a giant outcry on Borderlands for 4 more players to fit a xbox party either. You know how difficult it is to deal with 7 other people in a party chat? I can't stand large parties like that. You can't deal with all those extra voices. So when I see a 4 player group as it stands I am ok with that. I do wish it was 5 though. GUI size itself has plenty of room for one more player in the group to fit the screen just fine without any major tuning, but oh well, I am not going to ***** and moan about a larger party size.

dragoniron13
03-26-2013, 03:25 PM
You know your right code117, no one knows what is or isn't going to be in the full release of the game, so what if people speculate on what may or may not be included. Your entire complaint is the region lock, if that is your problem then play the pc version. I don't care who I can't play with because for me the XBOX 360 is a family unifier, my kids and I have played together since the first 360 rolled off the shelves.
And just to clarify... "IT IS JUST A BETA"

Envisionz
03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm getting that my point isn't getting across, I know its a beta, so does everyone else, thats why its called a beta.

My point in general is that using just 'its a beta' is all people write. As you said for simple bugs, I'm not too fussed on, that is standard game issues as well. Its when they use it for features not currently there that get me. This gets people believing that just because it a beta, features not there will be in the full release.

People are being misled, and this causes aggro to everyone else.
If you don't know if its going to be there or not, don't say something like 'its a beta', as it makes people think that its something they've missed from info given by the dev/gm/mods. If you KNOW its in the final release, then that is fine, and you have the right to use its a beta but just end it with 'its been confirmed to be in the release'

But what about the people who say that they aren't getting the game because their ''demo'' isn't working and it is really buggy. What can I say then?

OcelotKharn
03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
For someone to make a thread like this shows lack of experience and understanding. Theres not a game thats ever been made without bugs etc. Betas are designed to catch these bugs which as far as I can tell it is. So really you shouldnt moan.

dragoniron13
03-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Me and my brother have already decided that four person squads divided in our online clan will be awesome, it will allow for squad based tactics at events like arkfalls, its going to be epic.

HaVoC
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
This is a beta, and not a true real beta to be truthful. You want the real beta? Play it on PC, because that's where most of the balance changes were made.

This is more of a stress test for console servers, and nothing else really. The whole mission grading is more of a check to see if any sort of console engine mistake may exist. That's it guys it's a dumbed down beta for a console. Most of the 1 week "beta" on consoles have always been server stress tests.
You want to read into it more, go ahead. I won't stop you, but you are just wasting your times, and being ignorant bastards.

Now onto the 8 players groups. It doesn't make sense at this point. Easy to apply? Not really. You have to mess with the GUI to get everything symmetrical again just to fit 7 players life details. Plus the additional coding and callbacks.
I also never heard a giant outcry on Borderlands for 4 more players to fit a xbox party either. You know how difficult it is to deal with 7 other people in a party chat? I can't stand large parties like that. You can't deal with all those extra voices. So when I see a 4 player group as it stands I am ok with that. I do wish it was 5 though. GUI size itself has plenty of room for one more player in the group to fit the screen just fine without any major tuning, but oh well, I am not going to ***** and moan about a larger party size.First off Borderlands isn't a damn mmo. Secondly, I have 8 players in my party all the time and it doesn't bother me so that was pretty stupid to bring up. And next time maybe do some research before you get technical. The group systems run off text commands so the GUI isn't an issue at all. The game is meant for hundreds of players to be interacting with one another at the same time so character models showing up isn't an issue go to an arkfall.

Tyrannos
03-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!