PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Drop

loken
03-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Does Defiance include Bullet Drop? I'm Specifically curious about sniper weapons, or is strictly laser line targeting?

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/ar15-m16/20158d1238567400-very-technical-m4-vs-m16-question-trajectory.jpg

Eldarch
03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
While playing the beta I did not notice any decay on my shots. I didn't really use any of the snipers but when it came to the lmg and assault rifles it was pretty laser/cone of fire/ recoil based

Arsenic_Touch
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Not that I noticed, they could argue that the EGO automatically accounts for any shot decay. They do have bullet spread and it seems shots from the sniper rifle don't always connect with the head.

DustOfDeath
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
laser straight targeting. Specially sicne there is aim assist aswell - the curve wouldnt make much sense.

So as long as u got the target in the + and lag doesnt change anything.. thats where the bullet goes.

Acero
03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
I have, in fact, extensively used "sniper" rifles and didn't notice any particular effects. I mean no bullet dropping nor wind affecting the bullet trajectory.

Kantazo
03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
I have, in fact, extensively used "sniper" rifles and didn't notice any particular effects. I mean no bullet dropping nor wind affecting the bullet trajectory.

same here, no problems with drop.

loken
03-26-2013, 12:08 PM

Thats Ashame, bullet drop would test the true skill of players

Kantazo
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Thats Ashame, bullet drop would test the true skill of players

Only in really long shots, I don't think that in the Beta I saw anything pass 200 yards

Psyqhical
03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Sniper rifles are hitscan.

loken
03-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Only in really long shots, I don't think that in the Beta I saw anything pass 200 yards

true, but even at 200 yards the drop( depending on weapon) could be the difference between a head shot or not

Travie
03-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I can understand how fun and realistic bullet drop can be sometimes, but it would make it a lot harder for casual players to get into it.

Jay
03-26-2013, 12:14 PM
really?

/strokeepeenmore

Prophet of Entropy
03-26-2013, 12:15 PM
since the draw range and range of weapons having bullet drop is pretty dumb. you might have 200m range with a sniper rifle, thats .22 LR ranges, if your using a highpowered round there would be next to no drop at the ranges you operate at in this game.

at 200m the difference is between a headshot and a mouth or neck shot. and bullet drop isnt a real test of skill unless its a first shot hit, any idiot can correct, specialy with ammo that behaves exactly the same and a rifle that doesnt get less accurate as you put more rounds through it and it becomes more fouled. theres no reason to add bullet drop unless you add everything that affects bullet tragectory/rifle accuracy.

loken
03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I can understand how fun and realistic bullet drop can be sometimes, but it would make it a lot harder for casual players to get into it.

The Game is based around the more skilled player taking victory, bullet drop or not, as with most shooters your skill is key, casual player has nothing to do with it

Eldarch
03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't have a problem with the lack of bullet drop. I find it an acceptable compromise if it lends the slightest bit to client performance and server stability. Sure it's just a parabola for bullet drop but it's an extra calculation to the 95 rounds I just unloaded.

It worked will in games like Battlefield and Call of Duty where the servers are less complicated and are responsible for a smaller load.

Prophet of Entropy
03-26-2013, 12:33 PM
The Game is based around the more skilled player taking victory, bullet drop or not, as with most shooters your skill is key, casual player has nothing to do with it

thats assuming you think adding 1-2 inch bullet drop over the effective ranges that the weapons we have adds any skill requirment to the game. or do you want the bullets to be slowed to the speed of arrows to make bullet drop do anything?

Harsk
03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
thats assuming you think adding 1-2 inch bullet drop over the effective ranges that the weapons we have adds any skill requirment to the game. or do you want the bullets to be slowed to the speed of arrows to make bullet drop do anything?

you do realise that as soon as a bullet leaves the barrel of a gun it begins slowing down and dropping... right?

Prophet of Entropy
03-26-2013, 12:41 PM
yes and how much it slows not depends on initial speed, air pressure, humidity, if theres rain/how heavy, wind direction and ballistic co-efficent of the round being used. but the point is at under 200M these dont make much difference at all.

the simple fact is at the ranges in this game dont lend themselves to a complex ballistic formula. and i personaly would rather have none then a massively dumbed down one that makes people think they can shoot.

if i was better at math id post formula's but i use a ballistic calculator app when i go shooting.

loken
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
yes and how much it slows not depends on initial speed, air pressure, humidity, if theres rain/how heavy, wind direction and ballistic co-efficent of the round being used. but the point is at under 200M these dont make much difference at all.

the simple fact is at the ranges in this game dont lend themselves to a complex ballistic formula. and i personaly would rather have none then a massively dumbed down one that makes people think they can shoot.

if i was better at math id post formula's but i use a ballistic calculator app when i go shooting.

Yes if your zeroed in at 200 yards, but your be high at 100 yards and low at 300 if thats the case
and while it wont be much, 3inches high here, and 3 inches low there. it still affects the shot, and thats with out other facters like wind, rains, bullet type, weapon itself. keep in mind the average head is only 9 inches in length so a "few" inches matter

you say you dont this because it will make people think they can shoot, but thats the very reason i support it, to many laser shot players exist who think they can shoot.

Warspawn
03-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Bullet drop is a simple function of gravity; no other factors. When the bullet leaves the barrel, it falls at 32ft/sec (squared); other factors affect velocity and direction, not drop. If you fire a round from a horizontal rifle, and drop a round (or any other object) at the exact time and height, the bullet and object will hit the ground simultaneously. If you fire a rifle round at 2700 ft/sec, and drop a round that takes a second to hit the ground, both the fired round and dropped round will hit the ground at the same instant that the rifle's projectile travels 2,700 feet.

Of course, that's in a vacuum :P Atmospheric density, wind, and other factors cause the round to slow, so that at impact that bullet has slowed below its initial barrel velocity, so you may actually only get 2,600 feet of travel out of that second's travel.

That being said...I'm all for adding something other than instant laser-travel for a bullet. /shrug Some scopes have an integral range finder and windage adjustment; perhaps our EGO implant corrects for those factors. I can accept that.

Dixa
03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
it's a game.

games with sniper rifles that introduce bullet drop do so for game balance issues or to add some sense of realism. these are almost all exclusively multiplayer competitive pvp style arena shooters.

the draw distance during the beta for npc's was not very far. while there is no bullet drop, there is damage falloff at range for all weapons.

Odinswolf
03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't think you need to worry about bullet drop but I know from live streams the further you are away from the target the less damage you do. You can get mods to compensate for this just look for ones with + fall dmg

Relento
03-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Use a grenade launcher at 200m..... all the bullet drop you could ever want =P

WarMad2
03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
With this being BETA, they could have taken out the Bullet drops? Could be possible.

Warspawn
03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Yah...i like that Mortar gun thingy in the video...bullet drop-->BOOM

G_A_P
03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Bullet drop is a simple function of gravity; no other factors. When the bullet leaves the barrel, it falls at 32ft/sec (squared); other factors affect velocity and direction, not drop. If you fire a round from a horizontal rifle, and drop a round (or any other object) at the exact time and height, the bullet and object will hit the ground simultaneously. If you fire a rifle round at 2700 ft/sec, and drop a round that takes a second to hit the ground, both the fired round and dropped round will hit the ground at the same instant that the rifle's projectile travels 2,700 feet.

Of course, that's in a vacuum :P Atmospheric density, wind, and other factors cause the round to slow, so that at impact that bullet has slowed below its initial barrel velocity, so you may actually only get 2,600 feet of travel out of that second's travel.

That being said...I'm all for adding something other than instant laser-travel for a bullet. /shrug Some scopes have an integral range finder and windage adjustment; perhaps our EGO implant corrects for those factors. I can accept that.

Yep, an AI in you head is much better then a Kestrel.