PDA

View Full Version : Do the Devs know what they're doing?

Mojavemike
07-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Reducing the number of major Arkfalls

Increasing the number of major Arkfalls (http://forums.defiance.com/showthrea...758#post962758)

They seem to be running around in confusion like chickens with their heads cut off :eek:

Hope they get the DLC right, or they're in deep shtako...

Era
07-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Increasing the number of major Arkfalls (http://forums.defiance.com/showthrea...758#post962758)

They seem to be running around in confusion like chickens with their heads cut off :eek:

The first change was in response to a perceived problem. The 2nd response (which is alongside several other major changes to arkfalls) happened because they started listening to us.

Trying to fix your game and listening to your players might occasionally lead to backpedalling, but it isn't a bad thing.

And I can pretty much promise you the DLC isn't going to launch working let alone balanced. This is why the PC gods invented patches.

Korben Reynolds
07-06-2013, 11:40 AM
It's also very likely that even though they will be raising the major arkfalls back up, they are still not going to happen as frequently as they did before the nerf.

duction
07-06-2013, 12:10 PM
They are reducing the spawn at any one time and making them appear more frequently. This stops people tagging all of them at the same time.

Iceberg
07-06-2013, 01:32 PM
To quote samuel jackson from die hard 3: "Not even God knows what they are doing" ok so I paraphrased it to fit the topic.

KrypAl
07-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Jeeez its called balancing guys....

Testing only does so much, and they need to balance to suit the aims for the future, of which we know so very little.

Daholic
07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Jeeez its called balancing guys....

Testing only does so much, and they need to balance to suit the aims for the future, of which we know so very little.
Im pretty sure if you close your eyes during driving, you would know very little about your destination too!

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
07-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Pretty much what Era said, though I think that Arkfalls should be reworked altogether (check link in siggy).

ralisti
07-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Trion is in panic mode. The game sold way under what they expected, people are not interested in buying over priced Bits for retextured garbage, and the number of players is far outweighing the number coming in.

I know the fanboys will scream "You can not possibly know the numbers!" and they are right, I don't.

This is what I see. Desperate attempts to retain players by offer 'bonus xxx weekends'.

I see them desperately offering retextured garbage to try and get players to con...I mean persuade others to buy the game (Even allowing emailing of requests which is basically spam by proxy).

I see them constantly spinning up the talk of new things to try and stem the hemorrhage of players, while ignore the fact that there are many many outstanding issues they have yet to fix.

I see CSM basically ignoring the forums unless it is a chance to spin doctor.

I see AtB being nothing but a softball propaganda machine where they pretend to care about the players, but only take softball questions which they answer is just a way as to not even answer in hopes that pretending they care will be enough.

I see the DLC being push back because they wanted to polish the release, but nothing is being polished.

I see massive layoffs at Trion, but those that remain pretend that everything is okay and totally ignore the players when they ask about the effect it will have on the 5 promised DLCs.

Even those that worked at Trion question the management: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Trion-Worlds-Reviews-E273663.htm

IGears
07-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Even those that worked at Trion question the management: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Trion-Worlds-Reviews-E273663.htm

I didn't know a site existed. Management is the issue here.

Edit: this one is scary...

I currently work as a Manager at Trion in San Diego and the culture is atrocious. Bullying, backstabbing, lack of focus, lack of accountability are just a few phrases I would use to describe the atmosphere here.

We have recently (as of January 2013) had two rounds of layoffs. Some of these people included folks that were relocated from other states and let go within 6 months of working here. The expectation is that you will put your entire life on hold to bust your butt working here. There are talented and warm people here but many of the Senior employees are extremely rude and resort to bully their employees.

Iceberg
07-06-2013, 04:34 PM
I didn't know a site existed. Management is the issue here.

Edit: this one is scary...

I currently work as a Manager at Trion in San Diego and the culture is atrocious. Bullying, backstabbing, lack of focus, lack of accountability are just a few phrases I would use to describe the atmosphere here.

We have recently (as of January 2013) had two rounds of layoffs. Some of these people included folks that were relocated from other states and let go within 6 months of working here. The expectation is that you will put your entire life on hold to bust your butt working here. There are talented and warm people here but many of the Senior employees are extremely rude and resort to bully their employees.

After reading some of those stories, I am not one bit surprised.

dude26212
07-06-2013, 04:45 PM
i thought they reduced the number of potential arkfalls which messed up the spawn rate so they are upping the the spawn rate. pretty much fine tuneing the arkfalls to keep people from abuseing them (hit something, go to next arkfall, and repeat and get credit for all of them)

WarHoundZero
07-06-2013, 05:16 PM
No it's a cash grab it became such when they decided to take roadside keys away. Honestly if they want to get buisness they really need to bring the game bacc to what it was instead of just nerfing everything so they can make money. Cosmetic items need to go down in price and they could afford to add some more item space tiers so they can make more money.

Dave Blackwell
07-06-2013, 05:28 PM
No it's a cash grab it became such when they decided to take roadside keys away. Honestly if they want to get buisness they really need to bring the game bacc to what it was instead of just nerfing everything so they can make money. Cosmetic items need to go down in price and they could afford to add some more item space tiers so they can make more money.

Here's how it works; accept the microtransactions as they are or call for a recurring monthly payment. The reason you and everyone else doesn't have to pay such a monthly fee is because of the existence of microtransactions. The only flow of money Trion gets from Defiance is the in game store, season passes purchased and the money that was made from the base game being sold.

Tell me this; how do you expect an MMO to be run, further developed, the employees wages covered, the bills that accompany running such a business and everything else without money? Of course it's a cash 'grab'. Would you rather pay a recurring monthly fee or would you prefer to just have to buy the base game and never have to worry about paying to play it altogether? Tell the truth the only reason I see this game not having a recurring monthly fee is because of the platforms it's on, if this was PC only I'm sure it would cost to play - whether or not it would be possible to implement such a system on consoles that's yet to be seen.

Also, if you care to read the small print; Trion also reserves the right to implement a subscription fee if they wish to do so. So, make your decision - B2P or P2P?

dominad
07-06-2013, 05:36 PM
After reading some of those stories, I am not one bit surprised.

I have a new opinion having come to realise how little ability some Trion employee's have to do a good job as they are held back by management. I sent an email with a complaint. I think its easy to blame the people at the front unless you realise the problems are from higher up. You should all find someone better to work for.

WarHoundZero
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
optional sub with bells and whistles of discounted items and a free monthly amount of ark keys sounds fair. Nerfing arkfalls nerfing the way you get keys because and nerfing the quality of weapon drops from enemies means you're not properly pricing cosmetic items in the store isn't going to get people to buy things. It makes them leave. I understand how mmos work but the way that they're doing things here is showing why trion overall is hurting from a consumer standpoint.

Monkerlotus
07-06-2013, 05:47 PM
I have a new opinion having come to realise how little ability some Trion employee's have to do a good job as they are held back by management. I sent an email with a complaint. I think its easy to blame the people at the front unless you realise the problems are from higher up. You should all find someone better to work for.

I would hardly call it credible, it's anonymous job reviews with no verification that you work there. See the big "Write a Review" button? All you need is any random email and enough brainpower to make up a password. While I'm sure some are accurate, others seem to be made up on the spot. Trion also had a huge spike in bad reviews for in January when they had layoffs of Contractor teams, it went from a review every 30days or so, to 4 in 2 weeks, all of which negative as opposed to most of the previously being average and up.

Unless you hear from ACTuAL employees who can be verified to have actually worked there, anything on that site could just as easily be a falsehood as much as it could be fact.

I'll hold my opinions on Trion until they go out of business or cancel a games production/life. ^_^

Dave Blackwell
07-06-2013, 05:54 PM
optional sub with bells and whistles of discounted items and a free monthly amount of ark keys sounds fair. Nerfing arkfalls nerfing the way you get keys because you're not properly pricing cosmetic items in the store isn't going to get people to buy things. It makes them leave. I understand how mmos work but the way that they're doing things here is showing why trion overall is hurting from a consumer standpoint.

I can agree with you on how they're approaching the in game store in regards to the pricing, but other than season passes that is the only flow of money coming from the game itself. Another thing that I've noticed myself is there is no incentive to purchase much from the store in question. A majority of the outfits are one, like you said, overly priced for what they are and two, more or less just rehashes of existing outfits with recolouring. I find it hard to believe that they would 'nerf' arkfalls or the keys solely for the fact they aren't using reasonable prices for the store. There is most likely a reason behind it regarding money, to an extent - but surely not for the store itself.

If they would design more creative and unique outfits for the store and a few more useful addons similar to the addition of more inventory slots that would drive more interest in at least window shopping, so to speak, and if reasonably priced may entice more players to possibly part ways with a bit of money. The main gripe that I have with a majority of the outfits on the in game store (bar a few) is you can acquire a version of them from completing certain pursuits without having to spend anything. Maybe this may have something to do with some players not spending, who knows? But there definitely needs to be more 'store only' outfits if they would want to generate more money from the in game store.

Wraieth
07-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Here's how it works; accept the microtransactions as they are or call for a recurring monthly payment. The reason you and everyone else doesn't have to pay such a monthly fee is because of the existence of microtransactions. The only flow of money Trion gets from Defiance is the in game store, season passes purchased and the money that was made from the base game being sold.

Tell me this; how do you expect an MMO to be run, further developed, the employees wages covered, the bills that accompany running such a business and everything else without money? Of course it's a cash 'grab'. Would you rather pay a recurring monthly fee or would you prefer to just have to buy the base game and never have to worry about paying to play it altogether? Tell the truth the only reason I see this game not having a recurring monthly fee is because of the platforms it's on, if this was PC only I'm sure it would cost to play - whether or not it would be possible to implement such a system on consoles that's yet to be seen.

Also, if you care to read the small print; Trion also reserves the right to implement a subscription fee if they wish to do so. So, make your decision - B2P or P2P?

The reason this game is not monthly sub is its not good enough to warrant people to pay to continue play.

And yes you can have a monthly sub on console atleast thru sony just see eqoa it ran for years with a monthly sub on playstation 2.

WarHoundZero
07-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Look at it like this. I was easily able to max out on keys in hours of by doing roadsides to arkfalls and doing a roadside from mission to mission. Also I would be fine with them nefing keys if they didn't nerf the qaulity of weapon drops (now capping at blue). At the point now I'm luccy enough to get enough to buy a couple of tier 2 boxes. I think this has everything to do with them not generating income from the store AND the game not selling as good as they thought it would. At the current moment this game is meat when the new consoles come out because the market will be bigger and imo they're are better games coming out.

Sanguinesun
07-06-2013, 06:28 PM
To be matter of fact of it, there's been a shift in control/direct of decision making and reflecting the timing of a certain 60 day notice marker....

Dave Blackwell
07-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Look at it like this. I was easily able to max out on keys in hours of by doing roadsides to arkfalls and doing a roadside from mission to mission. Also I would be fine with them nefing keys if they didn't nerf the qaulity of weapon drops (now capping at blue). At the point now I'm luccy enough to get enough to buy a couple of tier 2 boxes. I think this has everything to do with them not generating income from the store AND the game not selling as good as they thought it would. At the current moment this game is meat when the new consoles come out because the market will be bigger and imo they're are better games coming out.

It seems that one issue is that the effort of certain activities or events within the game are not worth the current rewards. Could it be possible to have a system in place similar to how arkfalls scale to the amount of players so that; say one player decides to solo an enemy which just so happens to be difficult (for the sake of an example), they defeat them and depending on the difficulty of the enemy the rewards would be justified on those terms. This could encourage everyone in general to take part in the PvE aspect of the game as, say it was implemented, there would be a slightly more increased chance of coming into possession of sought after weapons than as it stands with the current methods.

It's mainly the fact that it's the arkfalls and keys that leads to having a problem with connecting the reducing of their frequencies with the in game store being unreasonably priced. But they all do play a part when it comes to the generation of money, arkfalls though? Hm.. I'm not too sure. In regards to the game not selling will you should take into consideration that the supposedly 'official' reviewers had already written reviews on the game barely even playing through from start to finish but yet had all the answers. Anyone who frequents MMOs would know that the issues that follow the launch of any MMO are to be expected and to those of us who knew what to expect following the release of Defiance these issues were of no surprise. It should also prove that the supposed 'official' reviewers have no idea regarding MMOs as they had posted reviews before the 6th month mark, which is usually when these sort of games tend to pick up.

For consoles, in short; yes. However, there is the possibility of the game being moved to next gens but not many will instantly convert to next gen consoles due to initial pricing. That said, if it is moved the disc will have to be bought again due to no backwards compatibility. Even if the game is moved it will also have fair competition on MMO grounds in regards to the next gens. Although the next gens coming into the picture cast a shadow of doubt over Defiance when it comes to consoles, it will run as normal on the PC platform though.

WarHoundZero
07-06-2013, 06:31 PM
To be matter of fact of it, there's been a shift in control/direct of decision making and reflecting the timing of a certain 60 day notice marker.... wait what?

Sanguinesun
07-06-2013, 06:35 PM
wait what?

Someone forgot about the layoff notices given 60 days ago I take it?

WarHoundZero
07-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Oh yah I forgot about reading up on that.

piercehead
07-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Oh noes! People that no longer work for a company questioning the validity of the company they worked for? Pff. I used to work for EA, voted worst company in America twice in a row. Admittedly I'm in the UK and worked with a very sound bunch of like-minded people, but still you have to allow a large margin for sour grapes.

Also, you seem to love using the word "desperate" for no apparent reason...it's a business, they are deploying any and all means of generating income. Steam regularly has up to 75% off games, are they "desperately trying to cling to their consumer base"?

IGears
07-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Oh noes! People that no longer work for a company questioning the validity of the company they worked for? Pff. I used to work for EA, voted worst company in America twice in a row. Admittedly I'm in the UK and worked with a very sound bunch of like-minded people, but still you have to allow a large margin for sour grapes.

Also, you seem to love using the word "desperate" for no apparent reason...it's a business, they are deploying any and all means of generating income. Steam regularly has up to 75% off games, are they "desperately trying to cling to their consumer base"?

some of the reviews are people currently working there.

Linamaria
07-06-2013, 07:03 PM

Yeah! True story! I do really believe on that! :rolleyes:

Sanguinesun
07-06-2013, 07:14 PM

I read those reviews by current and past employees the most recent ones are very telling.

ralisti
07-06-2013, 07:17 PM

I use the term desperate because of the constant knee jerk response Trion Defiance has had to the outflow of people. How they promote they are 'making the live chat better' to try and make players feel that Trion cares, while at the same time making it more difficult to actually deal with Customer Service ('Send us an email of your issue, because we are to busy to worry about your problem right now')

I use the term desperate because Customer Service on the forums has pulled up the draw bridge. They either post cut and paste a response to close a thread (in some, the only negative is the truth about issue/bugs/lack of response/etc), or they are spin doctoring.

I use the term desperate because they create a propaganda program (AtB) where all they do is mention some players names who ask inane questions, and do not even answer the question. (Really, 'wait and see' is not a valid answer, it is an attempt to string players along just a bit longer).

I use the term desperate because they pushed out a broken 'Recruit a friend' program to try and get current players to get the game because the bad reviews and bad word of mouth are working against them...and they end up stopping the program because it was faulty...then pushed it back out where things were still broken.

I use the term desperate because of Trion's constant attempts to force people to buy Bits, even at the cost of losing players because of the constant restriction of ways to get key codes.

I use the term desperate, because almost every move the company has made reeks of it.

The Steam games you see on sale are usually either ones that sold well enough to cover development costs, or games that have been out for quite a while. You rarely see games that are new and doing well on the sale unless it is a preorder.

TL;DR Massive layoffs, game price being slashed dramatically for a relatively new game, pushing out recruitment programs which are known broken (at least for the rewards to the players)...if they are not desperate, they are stupid...and I would rather be known as desperate.

WarHoundZero
07-06-2013, 07:52 PM
As for propaganda go to the defiance page and you'll notice how they make it to where the only thing that is visible on the page is the show while the game has a very small display on the bottom. The ONE thing that could save this game is the one thing that they don't want to do is by making the show and the game go hand in hand. Also they need to restructure pricing or at the very least add bundle offers for costumes. The game is a decline due to how shallow the game is and is extremely laccing on content. The reason why these sales are being implemented in store is that they actually have to pay money for games staying on shelves so they're trying to clear them out. Idk this game is gonna be launch apb all over again.

Shadow Viper
07-07-2013, 02:10 AM

Why is everyone worried about the DLC when the game is still so broken? It's just silly.

Fix the game, then worry about the DLC.

Dave Blackwell
07-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Fix the game, then worry about the DLC.

I don't know if you've kept on top of the topic of DLC. But the reason it was pushed back from its initial release date was because Trion decided to focus on addressing bugs that players had highlighted instead of adding new content which would most likely conflict with the already existing version of the game and then add more problems to what already exists. But to think that an MMO can be fixed and run perfectly barely four months after it's gone live is absurd.

ralisti
07-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I don't know if you've kept on top of the topic of DLC. But the reason it was pushed back from its initial release date was because Trion decided to focus on addressing bugs that players had highlighted instead of adding new content which would most likely conflict with the already existing version of the game and then add more problems to what already exists. But to think that an MMO can be fixed and run perfectly barely four months after it's gone live is absurd.

You're absolutely right! It is crazy for a person to think they are buying a bug free game! Now if only someone could invent a job where a person tests games before the game gets to market, and also invents a job where there is a person to listen to the person to the "testing" job and writes code to fix the bugs!

Seriously though, many of the problems the game has were told to Trion before release, and those that were not reported are due to Trion not properly testing patches before rushing them out the door. To release something with obvious and reported issues shows to total lack of respect for the customer.

I can understand hidden issues which were missed in testing, like if a person does a barrel roll 213 times into a certain point on a certain wall would become disconnected from the game, but when you release something KNOWING the issue, the company only has themselves to blame for the repercussions for the act.

Would you be okay if someone sold you a Blu-ray player that worked, but randoms stopped playing for an unknown amount of time every 1-3 hours (random disconnects)? How about if sometimes, 10-15 minutes into movie it stopped playing for 20 minutes and the randomly plays a different movie (bugged arkfalls)? How about one that only plays 10 different movie titles, and if you wanted to play a different one you had to get rid of a title (limited content and cycling of content due to hardware restrictions which do not affect everyone)?

Defiance is not that complicated of a game from a coding perspective. There are many, many, MANY other games out with a lot more complexity from a coding perspective. The only thing dynamic in the whole game is the players. Everything else is static. Missions spawn at mission points. Coops spawn exactly the same every time they are instanced. Content is limited and static. Building can not be built nor destroyed.

I could understand if they were pushing the envelope of programming but they aren't. There are better developed indie games out which cost a fraction of what Defiance cost to develop, have a lot more content, have a lot less issues, and have a lot more complexity. Remember, Defiance is coded to run on 10 year old hardware requirements. It should not take a rocket scientist to fix.

TwwiX
07-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Clearly not. I realized that after their joke of a testing phase. They ignored most of the critical feedback and they continue to do so.
This game turned out to be nothing more than a poorly executed PR scheme to promote their lackluster TV show. It's neither a good shooter nor is it an MMO. The mechanics that are associated with those genres are bare bones at best in this game. Depth and complexity are usually associated with MMO's. This posses neither.

The microtransactions are in there for a reason. It's just a matter of time until this goes "free to play" and sees a sudden influx of content advertised in its in-game store. No? Just wait and see.

ElektraFaith
07-07-2013, 08:38 AM

Completely Agree :)

Daholic
07-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Clearly not. I realized that after their joke of a testing phase. They ignored most of the critical feedback and they continue to do so.
This game turned out to be nothing more than a poorly executed PR scheme to promote their lackluster TV show. It's neither a good shooter nor is it an MMO. The mechanics that are associated with those genres are bare bones at best in this game. Depth and complexity are usually associated with MMO's. This posses neither.

The microtransactions are in there for a reason. It's just a matter of time until this goes "free to play" and sees a sudden influx of content advertised in its in-game store. No? Just wait and see.

Its an average shooter, and when I say average, I mean the shooting mechanics are nothing eye popping and original, which isn't a bad thing.

It pretty bad when people have to proportion their time in Defiance so not to run out of things to do.

Monday: Complete 5 pursuits.
Tuesday: 5 arkfalls.
Wednesday: A few pvp events and alittle bit storyline and side missions..

Ive seen these type of comments for the past month. You have to be a special type of stupid to buy a game, then force yourself to play it very little.

Iceberg
07-07-2013, 06:45 PM
I see no reason what so ever to even purchase anything in their store. Boosts? Nope, when the servers go down you waste your boosts timer. Digital clothes for your character? 10 bucks for an outfit? Really? Make it a dollar and then we will talk. Given the fact the game came out early to coincide with the tv show, and the horrible mess of almost every system and mechanic (except for shooting) its ever a wonder this game is still up and running.

The end game is really a grind for nothing more than to hit ego 5000, people tell me all the time to play with friends but most are not playing this any more and with good reason. From what I am seeing the game is on life support right now, and the devs are currently trying to bring it back to life.

If they can pull it off, that would be a sight to see. In this competitive market though I do not see a future for this game.

Daholic
07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
I see no reason what so ever to even purchase anything in their store. Boosts? Nope, when the servers go down you waste your boosts timer. Digital clothes for your character? 10 bucks for an outfit? Really? Make it a dollar and then we will talk. Given the fact the game came out early to coincide with the tv show, and the horrible mess of almost every system and mechanic (except for shooting) its ever a wonder this game is still up and running.

The end game is really a grind for nothing more than to hit ego 5000, people tell me all the time to play with friends but most are not playing this any more and with good reason. From what I am seeing the game is on life support right now, and the devs are currently trying to bring it back to life.

If they can pull it off, that would be a sight to see. In this competitive market though I do not see a future for this game.

Wow, today i wen to gamestop to trade in Dead Island, Skyrim, and The Last of Us, and heard the guy bragging about how good Defiace is???!!!!!

I amost choked from laughter

Nyako
07-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Wow, today i wen to gamestop to trade in Dead Island, Skyrim, and The Last of Us, and heard the guy bragging about how good Defiace is???!!!!!

I amost choked from laughter

People are still trying to sell their Defiance copies even around here at local stores before too many people realize that it isn't even worth $39.99 USD and they have to mark it down to like $9.99 or less, or in some of my local stores here where I live, just get rid of it all together and never restock it back.

Recently I checked one store, they had the game bit cards (like about 10 of them on the shelf), but only one copy of the game left and that was for PC. The store clerk said they weren't looking to get any more copies of that in, which makes me wonder if it was a good seller for them or just a temporary fad/new game on the block test run. Note: This same store still sales SWTOR time cards and has a lot of the old COD games, and more for PC, Xbox, and PS3. Just weird how Defiance isn't on their list of keepers though. Maybe that will change in time, but that is likely only if this game improves.

reggie_bannister
07-08-2013, 03:11 AM
I have just got the game recently but I understand the complaints about the store. All the shields and guns I have got are mainly just cosmetic differences. Ive been using the same shield I got back in act 1 and im well beyond the main game and I have seen nothing worth while. I have no reason to buy anything from them since I have no reason to get any better at the game. I have regular weapons that have the same exact look and stats as the epic version I just got. Ive played for over forty hours and got over 30 boxs mainly being the blue ones and still no legendary weapons. The game gives me no reason to want to spend any more money than the sixty I payed.

Elric1
07-08-2013, 04:20 AM

I say nay to both: let that $%^&*( sink. =)
I rather like to think I paid 40 dollars to sink them then to get their so called concepts of content.

Blondin
07-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Sure forum members always know better what professional doesn't know, it's logical a forum member knows how the market works, knows how to make money, knows when a game will die, knows how much members a game has, know how much money is in development, etc... It's well known, all major company have forum members to work for them to tell them all this stuff...

More and more I read this forum, more I'm happy that forum members are not the one to make game, they have such narrow view.