PDA

View Full Version : Are the pre-order weapons going to suck?

Arron Rift
03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Hey guys,

I was thinking about the various pre-order deals and the weapons they give you (changes between pc and consoles, and for consoles the different retailers even give different things) and how they would probably be a huge help to those who get them, but then it occurred to me:

Are the pre-order weapons even going to be that good?

Here's my logic: Weapons in Defiance have minimum levels attached to them, with better weapons requiring higher levels. As such, there are only three possible ways for the pre-order weapons to work.

1) They have a low minimum level, allowing players to use them from the very beginning, but as a result they will quickly be replaced and sold off once the player gets a few hours in.

2) They are really powerful but have a high minimum level, and so by the time the player unlocks them they may well have gotten better weapons anyway (if they ever unlock them)

3) They break with above trend, having lots of power and a low minimum level, which causes a imbalance in the game's pacing and results in "super-noobs" who can ace high level missions right from the start, which may not be such a great thing.

This is just something that occurred to me. Which do you think will happen, and are the pre-order weapons even going to be that helpful?

DustOfDeath
03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
they will most likely be non tradeable no level weapons, liek many of the quest rewards were.
And since the "level" has minimal effect on weapon stats anyways... they wouldnt be useless at high ego. Unless the weapon itself simply sucks even at the beginning.

mcwjimbo
03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
can say with other games pre-order weapons were best up through level 3-4 and at level 5 switch them out for something better

but then this game doesn't have levels so......

basically just a starter weapon of your preferred weapon choice

Cervid
03-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Actually, the weapons of higher level barely scale. Many people have observed they have weapons of a very low level that are not better than those of higher level. The weapons are meant to be as balanced as possible. The EGO level of the weapons you get are representative of your EGO level when you got said weapon. It's not an actual weapon level per se, but true, those of lower levels can't use it if you trade it to them.

With that being said, weapons you get at higher EGO levels will have more mod slots unlocked when you take possession of that weapon and really, it takes equipping the weapon and shooting it in many cases to decide whether you like it or not. They are all different. You'll be surprised..

So, in short, you may very well have the pre launch weapons for a very long time as long as they jive with your playing style. As to the rarity of these weapons or the specs, I'm unsure.

RelativeBlue
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
In any case they're probably better than the normal starting weapons. So I'd say no, they won't suck.

Arsenic_Touch
03-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Preorders weapons will be around the same as what you can find at first, just a slight head start. They will be replaced eventually and the stats of weapons in the beta and the very small variation between 0 ego level weapons and 300 ego level weapons is not a representation of how the stats will scale in game. The stats will be different. Sledge said so.

Sanguinesun
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
The base damage for weapons is the same across weapon types and the color "quality" of it has nothing to do with it.

What then makes a weapon good?

1. Its elemental proc/type(which is random on all weapons depending). There are two ways a weapon can have a proc: the weapons main damage and the weapons melee damage.
2. Number of mods it can have or that can be added for a crystal fee(also random as you can have blue with no mods and greens with 2)
3. Bonuses from leveling the weapon's experience bar(though this I do believe is the same across weapon types and unlocked after ranking your weapon(ie leveling it).
4. Weapons with synergies(which are predominantly found on orange weapons).(think of them as just more bonuses)

So other than those variances, weapons are all basically the same. You can complete all missions with plain old white no sparkles weapons.

As to answering about the "sucking" of preorder weapons or the arkfall code unlocked weapons: They will be viable to use. How viable just depends on your playstyle, perk choices, mods added(or not) and more.

Its pretty easy to assume or infer from the names of some of them that they will have some contextual elemental proc. Other than that I couldnt/wouldnt assume them having other stuff but they very well may.

Kantazo
03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
I think the only thing I saw with the different colors of the same weapon was magazine size.

Sanguinesun
03-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I think the only thing I saw with the different colors of the same weapon was magazine size.

Nope those can be the same too. I say can, because there is a RNG involved.

There is one consistent difference only: color does correspond to the crystal currency you can break down for them.

Travie
03-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Since the weapon scaling is so gradual, you can expect them to be useful for a loooooong time.

If they have all their mod slots open, they could even be useful in the endgame!

Arsenic_Touch
03-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Since the weapon scaling is so gradual, you can expect them to be useful for a loooooong time.

If they have all their mod slots open, they could even be useful in the endgame!

Actually, we don't know that the weapon scaling is so gradual. There was slight variation in the beta and sledge said the stats and weapons are different in the live game. So the scale will be different.

Nexos_Arc
03-26-2013, 12:40 PM
well, most pre-order items are worthless or purely cosmetic.
last time i got pre-order bonuses was for BL2. golden guns, lasted for about 5 minutes.

Cervid
03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Actually, we don't know that the weapon scaling is so gradual. There was slight variation in the beta and sledge said the stats and weapons are different in the live game. So the scale will be different.

So perhaps the beta was working as intended... "If we show them non scaled weapons they might actually think they will last and be more inclined to pre order!" I doubt it, but I hope not.. That doesn't seem like Trion's style.. EA, absolutely.

But, the do need to nerf the detonators before launch.

Arsenic_Touch
03-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Also, I recall sledge or someone saying that the bonus weapons won't be something that gives you that much of an advantage and it's essentially a headstart in finding guns and that you will find better weapons.

Pasha
03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Out of all weapons I use 3-4 certain models. So most pre-order weapons are useless to me.

However I expect their quality to be average at least. Maybe even "purple" ("purple" doesn't have too strong bonuses anyway).

There are some "end-game" weapons (such as Hydra from Deluxe) which are not accessible to newborn characters up to 1-2-3 days in the game (EGO200-400).

gjwhite66
03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Of all the pre-order weapons, I would think Bestbuy's is the only one that would have mass appeal, since theirs is the BMG. For those who want to play a healer class, I haven't seen that weapon drop until close to EGO 100. So to get that at the start would be great to build up. The others I've seen were Sub-Machine Guns, Assault Riffles, and Rocket Launchers - all that can be obtained very early and had no real benefit besides having a cooler design (I don't remember if any had elemental bonuses).

Pasha
03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
theirs is the BMG. For those who want to play a healer class, I haven't seen that weapon drop until close to EGO 100.

For me that is the only useful pre-order weapon.

Note: there is no "healer class". In certain quests and co-ops your rear-end will be handed back to you (+ you'll lose scrip upon resurrecting) if you won't have BMG equipped for self-heals. Don't leave home without one.

KyoKunChan
03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
It just depends on your play style, I get the GameStop one witch I will be fine with. Main Weapon Sniper and 2nd is w/e I feel like or helps more in Arkfalls.

gjwhite66
03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I meant healer type. But you know when chat finally works, people will resort to the normal LF Healer zone spams. All we'll be missing are green numbers popping all over the screen.

Pasha
03-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I meant healer type. But you know when chat finally works, people will resort to the normal LF Healer zone spams. All we'll be missing are green numbers popping all over the screen.

Amount of hitpoints on mobs depend on amount of players around. Having two players instead of one in quest area will double amount of work (and time) needed to finish quest. Dedicated healer in group = more work for others. When I see people healing non-stop - I leave area / instance because it's faster to restart than to do x1.3-2 more shooting.

gjwhite66
03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Hadn't thought about that dynamic. However, I hope someone who is willing to seriously become skilled with the BMG learns how to manage between when to go into heal mode, and when you open up a few clips on some mutant hide. Though I can't say I've always played with effective healers either....

Cervid
03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
I didn't find infectors or bmg's until later on in the game either so I agree that those 2 are probably going to last the longest. Also, the shotguns had really varied abilities so it's hard to say if I'd even like the Wal Mart shotty.

So, you're saying the rocket launcher we get can't be used? I would have figured that these weapons would have the dashes for EGO level, just like quest rewards. Also, with how easily the orange weapons dropped from the Tier 4 lock boxes, I wouldn't be surprised if they were orange rarity weapons.

Lastly, Sledge's statement on weapons has to be considered in the context of the game. "Later" is a very relative term. Considering most people who have gotten to 500 or so noticed very little if any scaling. This was widespread and I know someone personally who had a low level white that was of the same name and a tiny bit better than a higher level blue.

If they only last us until "later when we find better weapons", and later means one of the zones that wasn't unlocked yet, then that's better than most pre order longevity I recall being a part of.

But, I do agree they are just a small perk to order it. I personally like the physical swag with the UE and the fact that you get the bits and the season pass. All things being equal, and factoring in what I just mentioned would cost you retail, you're only paying an extra $25 or so for all the physical stuff you get. Not bad. Hell, any decent messenger bag is worth a lot more than $25.

Dixa
03-26-2013, 04:15 PM
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?9330-Sledgehammer70-Petition-for-weapon-stat-increase

urmurgurd
03-26-2013, 04:27 PM
i would like to point out that the scaling may be minor, between lets say ego 0 and ego 100, but keep in mind the ego cap is 5000. if you put that in context of lets say wow thats like the difference between a level 1 sword of utter failness and a level 2 sword of slightly less than utter failness

ItISLupus
03-26-2013, 04:57 PM
I believe it was said they were just really access to items you wouldn't get until later in game