PDA

View Full Version : Experienced players please respond. Do other MMOs crash as often?

Traxx
07-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Defiance is my first MMO. I like the game but it is almost impossible to seriously play. I play through a major arkfall or co-op mission and just before it ends the system crashes. I loose almost all of my progress. No points, no rewards its frustrating. So I ask you experienced gamers is this normal? Do all MMO constantly crash or is this mostly a TRION problem?

The Oncoming Storm
07-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Is it crashing or just timing you out to the Main menu?

Samhael
07-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Noting the above question; what are you doing or what is happening in game when you crash?

JxSiN
07-06-2013, 01:00 PM
I quit playing DC Universe because I couldn't be in the watchtower (the central hub where you travel between cities, have all the high end armor shops, have all the specialty stores, and have the auction house) for longer than 5 minutes at a time without being DC'd (and that was when I was connected by line). I have not had hardly any problems from Defiance (and my ps3 is now wireless, not connected directly as it was with DCUO). There have been some days where the connection was a lot worse, but for the most part it's relatively good for a console MMO.

I think any MMO on console is less stable than its computer counterpart. But all in all, DC's will happen.

Sdric
07-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Are you an Xbox, PS3 or Computer player?

As a computer player I can say that I haven't had any crashes for more than a month.

In case you're a console player your plattform is most likely the main issue.
Remember how old your hardware is!

Traxx
07-06-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm on a PS3 and the system says "Critical Error" constantly. It's not just me, read the other PS3 posts. It's a common problem with the TRION/PS3 servers.

bigbear2face
07-06-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm on a PS3 and the system says "Critical Error" constantly. It's not just me, read the other PS3 posts. It's a common problem with the TRION/PS3 servers.

See, that is your main problem. The PSN is notoriously crappy. That is probably a huge part of the issues you are having. Especially since as you say "It's a common problem with the TRION/PS3 servers."

N3gativeCr33p
07-06-2013, 02:03 PM

I had a feeling this was going to be your response. I've been playing DCUO on my PS3 since 2010, and that game totally gives me more connection issues than Defiance has so far in the time that I've owned a copy for the 360. As a matter of fact, during our league's raid night last night, my PS3 froze up and crashed twice. One of which I figured would be a given, since we were running Black Dawn, one of the newer operations in the game.

Probably doesn't help its situation since the PS3 has less RAM than new cell phones do.

dominad
07-06-2013, 02:03 PM
It is no better on xbox servers I am disconnected multiple times per day. No other game does this and it tends to be at ar falls or shadow wars but sometimes it is random lol

angryglock
07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
I play Defiance, Rift, GW2, SWTOR on PC. None crash often. Defiance crashes more often than the others but not so much that it's an annoyance. Rift and GW2 rarely crash. I can't recall the last time.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
07-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Its a console problem, not a server/company problem. Remember the xbox is about 7 or so years old now and only has 512mb of ram. The PS3 has roughly the same specs:

The PlayStation 3 has 256 MB of XDR DRAM main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX.

So basically it is your PS3, not a problem with Trion or their servers. We're basically working with the equivelent to the computers that were best suited for Windows XP's basic needs. The only difference is that the graphics cards and processors are beefed up.

Source: Play Station 3: System Unit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3)

Rakshasa
07-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm an experienced MMO player, playing this game on the PC. In several hundred hours of playing Defiance over the last 3 months, I have experienced only 2 "crashes", and the only disconnects I've had were attributable to my (occasionally flaky) broadband rather than the game. The 2 crashes were in the same build of the client about a month or so ago, and I've had none since then.

Other MMOs I play have notably more issues than this game, including my 'main' game, Everquest 2, which even in its 9th year of running still suffers client crashes, dropouts to the character screen, etc. In terms of connectivity and reliability, Defiance has been one of the most solid games I've played, especially compared to other online games at launch.

Defiance does make my PC (specifically my gfx card) run hot however, hitting even higher temps than Planetside 2 does. I would imagine if it's stressing the consoles similarly, heat might well be an issue. Due to heat-related lockups, I was unable to play DCUO on my launch 60gb PS3 with any degree of success until I propped the case at an angle and aimed a few USB fans at the hot spots.

Traxx
07-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm an experienced MMO player, playing this game on the PC. In several hundred hours of playing Defiance over the last 3 months, I have experienced only 2 "crashes", and the only disconnects I've had were attributable to my (occasionally flaky) broadband rather than the game. The 2 crashes were in the same build of the client about a month or so ago, and I've had none since then.

Other MMOs I play have notably more issues than this game, including my 'main' game, Everquest 2, which even in its 9th year of running still suffers client crashes, dropouts to the character screen, etc. In terms of connectivity and reliability, Defiance has been one of the most solid games I've played, especially compared to other online games at launch.

Defiance does make my PC (specifically my gfx card) run hot however, hitting even higher temps than Planetside 2 does. I would imagine if it's stressing the consoles similarly, heat might well be an issue. Due to heat-related lockups, I was unable to play DCUO on my launch 60gb PS3 with any degree of success until I propped the case at an angle and aimed a few USB fans at the hot spots.

Thanks for a truly informed answer.

Cortechs
07-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I've been playing since launch on PC, and haven't had a crash yet *knocks on wood*. I've only had one disconnect too. This is rather rare from my experience, and I suspect I have very compatible hardware.

dominad
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Consoles take the blame for everything lol
I did check the CPU temps running Defiance on my other xbox and compared it to playing some other online games including BF3 and did not notice much difference. Minus Defiance still has the disconnects and far more lag issue. I get that there is a lot more players in Defiance and MMO's have issues but if they knew it would not run on consoles more bad policy. Not that I am convinced of this issue though; the quality of the graphics and other things are just not as intense as other games. In the end I never had a problem with any game but this, plus I have seen plenty of PC users complaining about disconnect issues etc.

If it is the consoles fault then Trion knew and it was a scam to release it to thousands of customers knowing it would not work and even more ****e if they decide to try and get people to buy it on the new gen. I doubt many will ever buy a Trion product again.

Krauser
07-06-2013, 06:44 PM

See, that is your main problem. The PSN is notoriously crappy. That is probably a huge part of the issues you are having. Especially since as you say "It's a common problem with the TRION/PS3 servers."

I have a PS3 and all I ever get is "timed out of server" disconnects. Mine is only a year or so old, but it's running wireless on internet that I'm sure is no where near the best.

Sanguinesun
07-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Defiance is my first MMO. I like the game but it is almost impossible to seriously play. I play through a major arkfall or co-op mission and just before it ends the system crashes. I loose almost all of my progress. No points, no rewards its frustrating. So I ask you experienced gamers is this normal? Do all MMO constantly crash or is this mostly a TRION problem?

It isnt uncommon for this for many mmo's past and present in their first 6 months(and later). Worse still is that these sorts of game encounter this alot with every major content patch too so you pretty much have to become semi thick skinned to these issues.

ElektraFaith
07-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Honestly and I'm not griefing or whatever it's called now but Trion is one of the Worst MMO Games I'v ever played BUT this is honestly only because of the Network/Bugs, I'v played multiple different MMO Games and PC would be the best for Network support etc but I personally prefer xbox because of the controllers etc.

The best MMO I'v ever played would be Phantasy Star Universe Online, Ambition of Illuminus and it was just awesome!. Despite the addictive characteristics of the game I personally never experianced any "Lag outs" or "Server issues" Yes they had downtime but it was I think once a month and it lasted about 3hours at a push, The in-game scenery was constantly updated & changed their were multiple different worlds to visit & they always added new free content. But the game did have a monthly subscription fee of around 8 Dollars but it was worth every single penny! :)

Frostdrift
07-06-2013, 06:56 PM
I've only ever had one crash while playing. Occaisionally my sound bugs out though.