PDA

View Full Version : My idea for Level Up incentive

Satsuki
07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
So, there seems to be an outcry over moving perk slots to lower levels. Personally, I don't see a problem with it on its own; I look forward to being able to use them all sooner (As soon as the patch hits in my case as I'm currently just over 2k).

But reading the arguments against it, I agree that there really seems to be a trend of punishing people for attaining high levels. I think about how much Salvage I've burned through lately and hearing it only gets worse is frightening. So then, this is my suggestion:

Reverse the costs of Modding.

Starting off there is a period of time at which you can't really do any modding beyond breaking things down. This gives you a "buffer" time to build up salvage. So when you start to be able to add slots, retrieve and remove mods and the like, it should cost what Lv. 4k plus players cost now. A lot. This reflects your inexperience at doing mods. As you increase in level, costs should go down, as you get better at it, until at lvl 5000 they are almost nothing.

Further, at 5k, give the player the ability to remove the weapon's level number. Give them the ability to get powerful weapons, mod them cheaply, remove the number and give/sell them to others.

I'm pretty sure that being able to become an extremely valuable gun runner would be quite an incentive to reach 5K and would reflect their status as masters of the Bay Area.

Ruinne
07-10-2013, 10:21 AM
That's far more clever than I am comfortable with, please stop that.

As you increase in experience, you get better with mods so you need less scrap, it even fits with RP (Hehe, like anyone cares about RP).

fang1192
07-10-2013, 10:22 AM
inb4:

Why you should have reward because you have more time to invest in a game?

This is the type of response im waiting for. Personally, I like the idea. And it would have stopped me from throwing away those good early weapons i had no salvage to mod

DieSlow321
07-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Beautiful idea. +1 Interwebs for you!!

L Y
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
One hundred percent win

Sdric
07-10-2013, 11:07 AM
I agree with the.

As a 5k ego player I've continously felt punished by putting effort into this game lately.

I mean: you can get maximum powered weapon with 1600 EGO.
Full perks with 1000 ego.

What do you get for 5000k EGO?
QUADRUPLE salvage matrix costs!
Hell yea!
Who wouldn't like that?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mankvqcSEU1qccyge.gif

0_d4RK_FaLLen
07-10-2013, 11:16 AM
I agree with the.

As a 5k ego player I've continously felt punished by putting effort into this game lately.

I mean: you can get maximum powered weapon with 1600 EGO.
Full perks with 1000 ego.

What do you get for 5000k EGO?
QUADRUPLE salvage matrix costs!
Hell yea!
Who wouldn't like that?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mankvqcSEU1qccyge.gif

Completely agree and is one of the reasons I only get on once in a while. With current game progression feels like a punishment and can only see if feeling worse after the changes coming.

Jay Common
07-10-2013, 11:21 AM
This is the type of constructive input these forums need more of. I love this idea. It could be yet another thing we have to work towards.

Ozzy
07-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I like your ideas. Removing lvl from a weapon should be the action that requires high Ark-salvage costs.

Olaf
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah there definitely needs to be SOME reward(s) for the high level players, it all seems a bit pointless now.

Satsuki
07-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. This is my first MMO but I always thought the point of leveling was things getting better as you go. Getting worse seems so counter-intuitive but I didn't know if that was just the legendary "Grind" I hear so much about.

SymbolicGamer
07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't like it.

Here's what they should do:

The stats on weapons and equipment get substantially better as the ego rating increases. A level 5000 rifle should outperform a level 1000 rifle of the same model in every way. Players have full access to their normal inventory in Shadow War, Duels, and Co-op.

In regular Team Deathmatch and Capture & Hold, players have a separate inventory consisting of regulation equipment provided by Echelon. There is no level requirement and the base stats are identical for all players. They can not be traded or salvaged. The Echelon vendor sells mods, weapon skins and additional PVP equipment.

Satsuki
07-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Those are good ideas too. Maybe instead of the same gun (example, a Vot Mazu) being better stats at higher level, they could have a new tier every 500 levels or so of completely new guns with better stats the higher you go. That would eliminate the fact that a certain model of gun would perform the same no matter who's holding it.

hardy83
07-10-2013, 01:42 PM
I say they should incentive's it with costumes and titles.
Oh wait they already do. lol

Though unique costumes at the 2k, 3k and 4k marks would be cool as well as titles for each as well.

Albion
07-10-2013, 01:47 PM
I love the ideas in the OP. Well done! I wish the game devs thought the way you do.

It makes sense - when you are low level, you are not "experienced", so it should cost you more to add mod slots (and retrieve mods) not the other way around. It's such common sense that I can't believe the game is set up the way it is.

Satsuki
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Costumes and Titles aren't enough for some people. Personally I didnt worry much about level before and I'll worry less now. I barely do any modding and if nothing changes I'll just wait till I'm getting 4-slot weapons again before I start trying to find a solid, permanent loadout, keeping a few really nice bonus weapons along the way.

But that's just me and I'm more of a casual player. Defiance needs long term goals to keep people that want more meat in their leveling interested. That was being said long before the Perk level reduction.

Mowazzy
07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
OP, ++++1 idea!

Burntpowder
07-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Ooo ooo ooo... How about the ability to break down multiple items at once... Yeah it seems like small potatoes until you're 85 deep in green infectors and white rhino shields...

RealHoosier07
07-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I like your idea about the mod costs, but I still would lower the costs even if they reversed it. The biggest problem is that there needs to be CONTENT for higher ego players...with the difficulty increasing as you open up new co-ops/other content. There should be 4 or 5 co-ops opening up every 500 ego or so, with the difficulty scaling up AND more strategic/teambased fighting required as you level up. I think the weapons should always get better as you level up all the way to 5000, but the enemies should scale up WITH your EGO level.

Oh...and PVP should be totally seperate from PVE....I agree with that. Call of Duty does this with Multiplayer and Zombies being totally different, so why can't Defiance do that?

hardy83
07-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Costumes and Titles aren't enough for some people.

To be fair, as we've seen with some in this game. Nothing is enough. They could get god mode at EGO rating 4k and they'd still complain about there being nothing to do.

RealHoosier07
07-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Ooo ooo ooo... How about the ability to break down multiple items at once... Yeah it seems like small potatoes until you're 85 deep in green infectors and white rhino shields...

I believe that is coming with the DLC...I thought that was stated by the dev team before, but I may be wrong

Satsuki
07-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm all for new content as well. When I first started playing I was scared to go out of Mt. Tam for fear of the enemies in the other areas ripping me apart lol, so I was surprised when I ran into Raiders for the first time and they werent any worse. By contrast, the newest of my friends to the game joined us killing Dark Matter litterally his first day of play.

I can only hope that future DLCs will add new landmasses with higher tier challenges and rewards with either level gates or enemies that truly can maul lower levels. As for enemies scaling, I'm not so much in for that idea. Thats what happens in Borderlands 2, and it killed group play for my group because certain ones of us got it early and were far higher level than others, which meant that when we played together, those of us that were lower did no damage and died in seconds.

3rdpig
07-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Defiance is a game designed for casual gamers. It's about to become even more so.

Which is all well and good, but it shouldn't punish hardcore gamers.

I fully support your idea. And with my support and $1.50, you can get a cup of coffee. :cool:

fang1192
07-10-2013, 02:06 PM
To be fair, as we've seen with some in this game. Nothing is enough. They could get god mode at EGO rating 4k and they'd still complain about there being nothing to do.

No ****. Godmode =/= fun, or something to do. Argument doesnt even make sense.

Satsuki
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
And that would be unreasonable. There are always unreasonable people. But I don't think that wanting there to be a significant, increasingly positive difference among a lvl 1000, 3000 and 5000 player all that unreasonable. Practically every game I've ever played has had some real incentive to push all the way out and I've never played one before that literally punishes you for it.

hardy83
07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
No ****. Godmode =/= fun, or something to do. Argument doesnt even make sense.

You don't really understand. I'm just saying that even if the developers handed people everything, there will ALWAYS be some people who will complain.
What I'm saying is no matter what they do, if anything, it'll never please everyone.
You don't have to take the "godmode" think so literally. lol Relax.

Wtflag
07-10-2013, 04:09 PM
You don't really understand. I'm just saying that even if the developers handed people everything, there will ALWAYS be some people who will complain.
What I'm saying is no matter what they do, if anything, it'll never please everyone.
You don't have to take the "godmode" think so literally. lol Relax.

True. But decreasing the amount of "some people" should be a goal, not increasing it.

TravelerX1
07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
+1, Beautiful Idea.

KjcKiesh
07-10-2013, 04:17 PM
+1 OP, I've only recently entered EGO 2k and I've already noticed weapon drops are worse, wouldn't mind so much with this idea in play though =)

KTCAOP
07-10-2013, 06:42 PM
So basically, new players will really be restricted in modifying their weapon. If the costs really switch, then they'll just sell all of their things, never be able to modify, because what's the point in salvaging if trying to add onto a slot costs etc.? For a new player, they won't be encouraged to break things down if the cost does seem astronomical and they won't even notice that the cost decreases because of the lack of a social aspect (who will tell them?)

It took me a while before I figured out what exactly this resources were useful for and I could see the benefits of turning things into credits much faster. Just a new players perspective. I'm not against you veterans and I agree that the costs seem to be ridiculous at the top, perhaps a root curve would be better in that the cost does increase but flatlines instead of becoming linear?

Wtflag
07-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I personally would prefer if higher ego weapons break down into more ark salvage.

For example, if the current mod cost is twice for a 2000 ego weapon compared to a 1000 ego weapon, then I should get double the ark salvage for scraping the 2000 ego item.

"Hold on there, are you crazy? Then all the high levels will have stupid amounts of oranges because they can convert the ark salvage to lockboxes", I hear you saying.

Well true. But firstly, getting oranges, particularly good oranges is random. And high levels can only trade with high levels because low levels cannot use the high level weapons anyway. So where as low level players have a huge market for their wares and can easily trade for weapons they want, high levels are restricted to a super small exclusive market.

Thus increasing the amount of salvage allows them to self-find their own weapons.

KTCAOP
07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
That sounds like an interesting idea, but I would wonder about how it would be done. Would it be EGO Level of the weapon multiplied by the tier of the weapon instead of just accounting for the rarity tier of the weapon?