PDA

View Full Version : Aim Assist

Syc0tixZ
03-26-2013, 11:54 PM
What does this actually do in game? I had it turned on and was trying to figure out exactly what it did. It is apparently not like CoD aim assist where it just takes you right to target, and I couldnt find anything else that it really assisted.... I seemed to kill things just as easy with it on/off in PvP and PvE

KaosPenguin
03-26-2013, 11:56 PM
more of a snap aim really but on Consoles it's really noticeable and bugs the hell out of me. It just snaps to targets even if it's not the one you wanted. Not sure bout PC though.

ThanatosPa
03-27-2013, 12:00 AM
For PC it kept making me follow a target until I dropped aim zoom. It sucked in an arkfall where I wanted to target an archer and grabbed a skkitterling and then it drug me like 90 degerees off target. So at release i will turn it off.

brycegrit
03-27-2013, 12:01 AM
more of a snap aim really but on Consoles it's really noticeable and bugs the hell out of me. It just snaps to targets even if it's not the one you wanted. Not sure bout PC though.

Exactly^^ it just snaps to the nearest target where your aiming but just like in halo not a fan of it. it makes sniping and well shooting in general difficult when you have more than 1-2 targets.

JMadFour
03-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Its Snap Target, not really aim assist. Aim Assist I could shrug off.

This...it needs to change.

basically, if you are using an Automatic Weapon and put your crosshair anywhere close to an enemy, and hit the Zoom button to aim down the sights, the crosshairs snap to the head of the nearest target. If your crosshairs are already red (meaning you have them in front of an enemy), it snaps to their chest.

from my experience, this does not happen with Pistols, Sniper Rifles, BMGs, or any Burst Fire or Semi-Auto Assault Rifles. only with the fully auto SMGs, Assault Rifles, and LMGs.

Its too much, and it makes shooting too simple. It needs to go.

akaash
03-27-2013, 12:30 AM
I despise quick aim, in any game. But especially when I decide to "heal". I'm trying to heal my teammate not waste ammo on not healing a boss or mini boss. I can aim as well with a 360 controller as I can with a mouse, (turn your sensitivity up and learn to be moderate with the stick) I hate aiming at the big mean nasty hell bug 50 feet away and snap aiming at the little one I can melee in oneshot 2 feet away

SparX
03-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Aim assist is cruise control for awesome.

Warlander
03-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Its made for controllers on the PC with a mouse its not needed and can actually make it worse, although i didnt realize it was on by default , and its actually not that bad "most" of the time its actually quite subtle compared to playing on a console.

But either way you can turn it off if you like etc.

Kroesis
03-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Snap aim = win button. I killed so many people doing it in PvP because it snaps to the head. I actually don't like it and would rather it be turned off.

Brock 5amson
03-27-2013, 12:39 AM
http://i.imgflip.com/w0tk.jpg
13th

JMadFour
03-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Its made for controllers on the PC with a mouse its not needed and can actually make it worse, although i didnt realize it was on by default , and its actually not that bad "most" of the time its actually quite subtle compared to playing on a console.

But either way you can turn it off if you like etc.

on Consoles, you can't turn it off. There's no option in the Options menu to disable it.

Warlander
03-27-2013, 12:42 AM
on Consoles, you can't turn it off. There's no option in the Options menu to disable it.

Sorry refering to the PC, my punctuation wasnt clear :P, besides you wouldnt want to turn it off on the consoles, you would be hellbug food pretty fast.

JMadFour
03-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Sorry refering to the PC, my punctuation wasnt clear :P, besides you wouldnt want to turn it off on the consoles, you would be hellbug food pretty fast.

Snap Targeting is the problem really, not so much aim assist. it's not needed, and I've never seen a Console shooter with Snap Targeting to the degree that Defiance has it. It's really over the top. Aim Assist is a more subtle thing. Nothing subtle about whats going on in this game at all heh. The game literally lines up your headshot for you. No skill involved.

its "Press LT, Press RT = Headshots with no effort".

despite playing on "lowly heathen peasant casual consoles", we don't need THAT much help. its a little much.

also, if there was an option to turn off Aim Assist entirely, I'd turn it off. and I'd do just fine, I'm pretty sure.

Tengaar
03-27-2013, 12:54 AM
It should be optional with on/off toggle in pve. It should be off for balance in pvp.

JMadFour
03-27-2013, 12:56 AM
It should be optional with on/off toggle in pve. It should be off for balance in pvp.

I'm not sure if it is actually activated in PVP. I didn't notice it, but I wasn't really paying attention.

akaash
03-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Yeah, ive been playing games since before consoles existed. (Tandy, 386, 486, etc) auto/quick/snap aim sucks, i wish i could disable it like any other console game. And ill take my crappy console and controller any day over a keyboard and mouse.

Derity
03-27-2013, 01:01 AM
It is off in PVP on Xbox.

Which is a good thing.

Kroesis
03-27-2013, 01:55 AM
It is off in PVP on Xbox.

Which is a good thing.

Really?! I find that difficult to believe as I'm not a big pvp shooter person and even I managed to land quite a few head shots with a sniper. Luck I guess, I thought the system was helping me out.

It is a good thing if it's off though.

Dixa
03-27-2013, 02:04 AM
Its too much, and it makes shooting too simple. It needs to go.

since it doesn't work in pvp, it most certainly does NOT need to go.

Shinji Ex
03-27-2013, 02:06 AM
PVP probably uses magnet aim assist
PVE is snap lock on

D351
03-27-2013, 02:07 AM
since it doesn't work in pvp, it most certainly does NOT need to go.

Basic gaming economics says it does need to go. The more difficult missions will be balanced based on the entire player base, putting non-autobots at a disadvantage. The pvp vs pve argument is completely invalid.

Philote
03-27-2013, 03:24 AM
I was worried that aim assist might give people an unfair advantage in hectic situations where snap aiming manually is more difficult. Namely with automatic weapons. Is it actually confirmed that it's off in PvP on PC?

JMadFour
03-27-2013, 03:53 AM
Really?! I find that difficult to believe as I'm not a big pvp shooter person and even I managed to land quite a few head shots with a sniper. Luck I guess, I thought the system was helping me out.

It is a good thing if it's off though.

naw, the only weapons that do the Snap Targeting are the automatic ones. Fully Automatic versions of the LMG, SMG, and Assault Rifle.

Sniper Rifles and such don't do it. so those headshots were all you.

Blackfall
03-27-2013, 05:11 AM
I was worried that aim assist might give people an unfair advantage in hectic situations where snap aiming manually is more difficult. Namely with automatic weapons. Is it actually confirmed that it's off in PvP on PC?

confirmed. I tested this extensively in the last AMB just in case it was bugged before. thank god, it was intentionally disabled where it really needed to be. Although...I do agree it doesn't even need to exist in the first place, at least it won't be affecting PvP and ruining the game.

Kroesis
03-27-2013, 05:16 AM

Damn... looks like I'll be pvping more than I thought then!

x Deathcraft x
03-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Yea that aim assist or snap targeting needs an on/off switch

Quirky
03-27-2013, 06:42 AM
I don't care about aim assist so long as for the PC Its not anywhere near the PvP. Aim Assist on a PC is Stupid. If you can't Aim or coordinate with a Mouse/Keyboard you shouldn't be on Games what so ever.

D351
03-27-2013, 06:48 AM
naw, the only weapons that do the Snap Targeting are the automatic ones. Fully Automatic versions of the LMG, SMG, and Assault Rifle.

Definitely worked on pistols when I was playing on xbox.

Ngamok
03-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Yea, I found it and turned it off right away. Have to remember to do it again on Live release. It's annoying on PC since I am above average in aiming in shooters with mouse and keyboard. I've played CoD on PS3 and XBox before and aim assist can't even help me there :p

Ngamok
03-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I don't care about aim assist so long as for the PC Its not anywhere near the PvP. Aim Assist on a PC is Stupid. If you can't Aim or coordinate with a Mouse/Keyboard you shouldn't be on Games what so ever.

Heh, there are people who need all the help they can get out there, I've seen some pretty bad people in CoD series games over the years. But yea, I agree with you. In PvP it really needs to be off on the PC.

mcwjimbo
03-27-2013, 07:30 AM
-was it/ is it default setting = on
or had to be turned on?

-where in the UI menue was it located?

PC player & no clue if had it on, never turned it on nor know where in the UI menues it was to turn on or off.

TechGnome
03-27-2013, 08:05 AM
I have shoddy eyesight and twitchy hands (I have tremors) so I'll take all the help I can get. At least in my experience it wasn't too bad... it helped with the fine-tuning on getting on target. I still had to get it close, LT & zoom in, fire off three rounds, then release LT... adjust for the recoil drift, LT, fire off three more rounds... it was a system that seemed to work for me quite effectively. But, good to know that it's not something that is on all weapons, or situations, because, yeah, having it on in a sniper situation... that would suck.

-tg

Philote
03-27-2013, 06:34 PM
I have shoddy eyesight and twitchy hands (I have tremors) so I'll take all the help I can get. At least in my experience it wasn't too bad... it helped with the fine-tuning on getting on target. I still had to get it close, LT & zoom in, fire off three rounds, then release LT... adjust for the recoil drift, LT, fire off three more rounds... it was a system that seemed to work for me quite effectively. But, good to know that it's not something that is on all weapons, or situations, because, yeah, having it on in a sniper situation... that would suck.

-tg

You're the exception and the minority, but if the assistance helps you out in PvE, that's great. I'm just glad they made the right call with PvP. Shotguns and SMGs would be brutal in chaotic firefights where people are bunny hopping and strafing with aim assist.