PDA

View Full Version : The 'I didn't know that' thread

Darkane
03-27-2013, 02:38 AM
Hey guys, thought it might be useful to start a thread posting things you've learned about Defiance.

Doesn't matter if it seems too obvious, please post anyway. :D

Here's mine - to get it started...

Double tap 'crouch button' on console to do a combat roll.

Darkane
03-27-2013, 02:41 AM
And another one that saved me a lot of work. Sadly I learned this quite late in the Beta:

Press Enter on chat pad, type stuff, press enter again. (You don't need to go into the menus and bring up the chat window. Much faster!)

Kisala
03-27-2013, 02:42 AM
Allright here's one alot of people do not know. When in character creation, there is the obvious creation options, and then there is something that everyone seems to miss. Each "class" has a few options unique to its customization that other classes don't get. Like a hairdo that one gets but the other doesn't. This is also true of the same class but different race

worldwarviol
03-27-2013, 02:43 AM
the vendors dont sell food
u need to do contracts for good gear
the side quest are sometimes very easy and dull
(theres no waffle pies in the game) ;(
p.s when the mutant attack the ark fall the demo mutants make explosive cans next to the ark fall

Dead_Phoenix
03-27-2013, 02:44 AM
granted i learnt alot of this stuff in previous betas, but ill post it now anyway.

i learnt the skitterlings create weak point in ark falls crystal destruction. so dont shoot the skitterlings if can be helped.

Kisala
03-27-2013, 02:45 AM
granted i learnt alot of this stuff in previous betas, but ill post it now anyway.

i learnt the skitterlings create weak point in ark falls crystal destruction. so dont shoot the skitterlings if can be helped.

^^^^^^^^this

Serrot
03-27-2013, 02:48 AM

What do you mean they create a weakpoint? Can you elaborate please? I never done any arkfalls over the weekend :)

Kisala
03-27-2013, 02:50 AM
There are some destroy the arkfall to get the loot type events. The smallest skitterlings run around and will occasionally run up and hit the arkfall which causes a glowing very obvious weak point to dmg the arkfall ^^ hope this helps

worldwarviol
03-27-2013, 02:54 AM
some of the enemys create spot that u can use to your advantage to destroy the arkfall faster

Dead_Phoenix
03-27-2013, 03:00 AM
What do you mean they create a weakpoint? Can you elaborate please? I never done any arkfalls over the weekend :)

basically what others have said.

there is an arkfall event where the objective is to destory the crystal. you do this by shooting it.

However the crystal has very very very strong armour, so takes a very long time. Unless weak spots are created. these dramatically increase the amount of damage it takes, they can only be created by lesser mobs, IE the skitterlings (the tiny hellbugs that die very easily)

where as it is easy to kill them in the crossfire, and if they are comming at you, rather then the crystal. otherwise leave them be and shoot the bigger nastys, like the archers or warriors

Escyos
03-27-2013, 03:03 AM
Thing I did not know before beta:

Liberata are capable of urinating.

Philote
03-27-2013, 03:12 AM
I kept trying to tell people this in an Arkfall event that went from 20 minutes to 0 because everyone was killing the skitterlings. 20 minutes of just blindly killing skitterlings and shooting the crystal uselessly instead of listening to EGO or reading chat and reading my warnings. I pretty much stopped bothering doing those events when too many people were around after that. Waste of precious beta time.

Oops, meant to quote Dead_Phoenix.

Over00
03-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Once you max out a weapons xp bar you no longer gain skill xp towards that weapon class *badsystem*

Dead_Phoenix
03-27-2013, 03:18 AM
I kept trying to tell people this in an Arkfall event that went from 20 minutes to 0 because everyone was killing the skitterlings. 20 minutes of just blindly killing skitterlings and shooting the crystal uselessly instead of listening to EGO or reading chat and reading my warnings. I pretty much stopped bothering doing those events when too many people were around after that. Waste of precious beta time.

Oops, meant to quote Dead_Phoenix.

lol, yea i did try and run a campaign to spread the world. because i got tired of this.

Philote
03-27-2013, 03:18 AM
Once you max out a weapons xp bar you no longer gain skill xp towards that weapon class *badsystem*
That'd explain why my grenade launcher skill wouldn't go past level 4. :(

Dead_Phoenix
03-27-2013, 03:19 AM
thye have said they dont want it that way. i think also devs said they are going to make it so you can keep the weapon. ie weapon reset or something.

FantasyMeister
03-27-2013, 03:21 AM
If you combat roll twice you can shake off movement impairment debuffs that some mobs give you.

When in the map or character menus you can access a third, incredibly important, menu with intel, pursuits, settings (which includes your logout function) and a host of other goodies - on XBox 360 simply pull the left trigger to bring it up.

It's sometimes faster to fast travel to get to a new Ark Fall than it is to drive all the way there across a map.

Cover is incredibly important.

Ark Falls are a great way to replenish ammo of you're running low from doing regular side quests/missions.

Certain locations have ammo dispensers, it's a good idea to get to know where they are.

Vehicles handle a lot better once you level their relevant vehicle skill, you can do this just by driving around or entering races.

Once you've fully leveled a weapon, switch it out for a new one of the same type to carry on increasing the relevant weapon skill.

A BMG kills most regular mobs in 1 or 2 hits and has great splash damage.

At EGO level 250 you open up Contracts, a reputation tab in your menu, and get reputation drops from mobs.

Once you've completed the tutorial you end up in the starting area, if you turn right and run up the hill there's a vehicle, 3 enemies, and your first data recorder just inside the collapsed tunnel.

In the perks selection menu, most perks near powers are relevant to that power, but in the middle of the layout are perks that increase drop rates, give you extra health and lots of other goodies.

If you attach a scope to a pistol you bring up an FPS scope when using it rather than shooting from third person.

If it throws a grenade at you, double roll to get out of the way.

You can swim.

You can revive anyone by running up to them and pressing and holding the relevant key (X on XBox 360).

The Oncoming Storm
03-27-2013, 03:25 AM
I learned Raider's dont't have any sort of "help you kill the Arkfall" system,

I learned that if an Arkfall says "Raider Destruction" it's best to just walk away,

I learned just how quickly Archer's can ruin your day if you let them live,

I learned that finding an LMG with Siphon is F**KING IMPOSSIBLE!,

I learned that this game hate's you if you don't have a chatpad,

I learned that farscape still has the best alien swear words...

Philote
03-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Cover is incredibly important.
Without an auto-magnetizing gimmick cover system. Thank. God.

Over00
03-27-2013, 03:39 AM
thye have said they dont want it that way. i think also devs said they are going to make it so you can keep the weapon. ie weapon reset or something.

Good news! Felt let down not being able to use my favorite assault rifle/shotgun combo at risk of no skill gain.

GT3000
03-27-2013, 03:46 AM
I learned Raider's dont't have any sort of "help you kill the Arkfall" system,

But that's wrong, Tim.

Raiders drop single-use rocket launchers (kill the blasters) that deal massive damage to the crystal.

Deviliusrift
03-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Infector weapons eats through arkfall crystals.. just spam them on their weakspot to fill up 3 infector gauge (on your crosshair) then you can continue to spam it even if its not a weakspot... will do 130+ damage a tick (like 5 times a second) melts them away!

JMadFour
03-27-2013, 04:24 AM
EGO Upgrades need to be Unlocked with EGO Points. But they have to be EQUIPPED before they have any effect.

you don't automatically get the benefit of the Upgrade when you unlock it.

Corun
03-27-2013, 04:27 AM

there is an arkfall event where the objective is to destory the crystal. you do this by shooting it.

However the crystal has very very very strong armour, so takes a very long time. Unless weak spots are created. these dramatically increase the amount of damage it takes, they can only be created by lesser mobs, IE the skitterlings (the tiny hellbugs that die very easily)

where as it is easy to kill them in the crossfire, and if they are comming at you, rather then the crystal. otherwise leave them be and shoot the bigger nastys, like the archers or warriors

This is something apparently a lot of players still don't know/understand is that the Arkfalls are not in fact crystals or meteors. They are debris from spaceship wreckage in orbit around Earth and what you are looting for 'payday' is alien technology.

Watch the 14 minute TV spot and they show what Arkfalls are supposed to be. Trion got it wrong and there are threads on the feedback forums asking to get the Arkfalls retextured correctly since the game and the TV series are supposed to be one and the same.

Dead_Phoenix
03-27-2013, 04:32 AM
This is something apparently a lot of players still don't know/understand is that the Arkfalls are not in fact crystals or meteors. They are debris from spaceship wreckage in orbit around Earth and what you are looting for 'payday' is alien technology.

Watch the 14 minute TV spot and they show what Arkfalls are supposed to be. Trion got it wrong and there are threads on the feedback forums asking to get the Arkfalls retextured correctly since the game and the TV series are supposed to be one and the same.

for the record i am fully aware of what they are. i am using the games terminology (correct or not) so players can relate easyier

Nortfor
03-27-2013, 04:42 AM
Noticed on the last beta (the only one I've played) that the weapon people are using isn't displayed correctly, everybody is wielding a shotgun..

This is probably going to get fixed I suppose..?

Amnesia
03-27-2013, 04:43 AM
At EGO level 250 you open up Contracts, a reputation tab in your menu, and get reputation drops from mobs.I hit EGO 250, but I couldn't figure out how to get/turn in contracts...

Corbec
03-27-2013, 04:46 AM

But who says that the crystals are not part of the debris that floats around in orbit? Maybe it's some kind of material the arks were crafted from or part of their former cargo? Maybe the arkfall in the series is a special one and therefore a whole ship? Lorewise we don't know that much.

DFawkes
03-27-2013, 04:48 AM

I was always under the impression that it was always supposed to be both. For example, bits of terraforming technology could've infected rock in the Arkbelt, which makes them become heavier in Gulanite before they crash to Earth. Indeed, there are lots of explanations for why there could be more than one type of Arkfall :) There could've been ships simply carrying ore.

Once you've completed the tutorial you end up in the starting area, if you turn right and run up the hill there's a vehicle, 3 enemies, and your first data recorder just inside the collapsed tunnel.

Now this I definitely missed. Nice catch!

error
03-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Some 10 basic things to know from my experience

1.) If you want to add mod slots to a single weapon you most unequipped it then wait ten minutes, then re-equip it.
2.) Be optimistic about buying purple weapons (some have the same stats as green or white and blue) purple is over 5,000 bits and a simple white can be 1,000 bits
3.) Don't mod a powerful weapon with a single MOD 1 mod(s), trust me you will regret this because you cant take the mod back just wait until later in the game to mod a weapon.
4.) Avoid the explosives from enemies by jumping up away most likely you wont be harmed.
5.) Always hide behind buildings or objects if your shields are down the enimies will sometimes run away.
6.) Always look for weak spots ( they usually spark or there a different color, or common sense as to what it would be)
7.) Always have a BMG as a secondary for fast health gain when no one else can heal you.
8.) Don't always zoom in and aim around targets, hip firing is just as good and you move faster; just slightly less accuracy.
9.) Elemental weapons usually have they same melee affect as the power of the element it is.
10.) Don't waste ammo, run everything that moves over lol ;)

Over00
03-27-2013, 05:11 AM
- You can retrieve mods from weapons, but to do so will cost significant ark salvage and WILL destroy the weapon in the process.
- Removing modifications has a 'cast' time of 5 minutes before they are removed.
- The checkpoints of race challanges. When they contain a circle in the middle, this means it will instantly refill your boost to 100% upon passing through. Those without do nothing.
- Approach cover from the RIGHT HAND side. This will expose only a partial section of your body rather than your whole body approaching from the left.
- KILL ALL SKITTERLINGS! *Giggle*

FantasyMeister
03-27-2013, 05:22 AM
Different loadouts aren't just for weapons, you can have separate loadouts with different powers/perks/shields/grenades/vehicles too.

Quirky
03-27-2013, 05:26 AM
lol, yea i did try and run a campaign to spread the world. because i got tired of this.

The Chat System they've got doesn't help it. 90% of the time I was playing I saw squat.

Figured something like that was the case though after observing them for some time - its nice to see they've thought about the mechanics rather than making it an easy *** game.

However: WTB A BUTTON TO SWAP LOADOUTS RATHER THAN THE ANNOYING INVENTORY SYSTEM THAT REQUIRES 101 CLICKS.

KermitDFrag
03-27-2013, 06:19 AM
On the PC, when driving a vehicle, spacebar is the hand brake. Not sure what button it is on the consoles, but this adds even more fun to vehicles.

Amnesia
03-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Is that what you use to do a powerslide?

Shogo_Yahagi
03-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Swapping loadouts does not have to be slow on the PS3.

Say you have a sniper loadout and you want to have a close combat loadout in case you get rushed. Set up the close combat loadout as the loadout that is immediately after the sniper (if sniper is loadout 1, make close combat loadout 2), then when you get rushed, it's just start, triangle, circle, shotgun to the face!

You don't have to wait for the screen to finish updating. You can have them swapped and the menu closed really quickly.

Amnesia
03-27-2013, 06:29 AM
(...) it's just start, triangle, circle (...)You can also do start, triangle, start---a little faster since one of your fingers is already on the start button.

sp00s
03-27-2013, 06:31 AM
When you are shooting a weak point on a mob, the impact sound is different. A little meatier on humanoids, and a bit higher pitched on hellbugs, almost like a chime.

KermitDFrag
03-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Is that what you use to do a powerslide?

You got it!

Razr
03-27-2013, 06:42 AM
I think for the raider destruction, we're supposed to ignore the Raider Blasters (ones with rocket launchers) so they can create weak spots with their rockets. I noticed whenever they spawn, they're non-hostile toward us until we start shooting them in the face. I stumbled upon an empty Arkfall (surprisingly) and just watched the blaster shoot the crystal while i tried not to die from Blitzer fire. Maybe Blasters are the Skitterlings of that particular Arkfall.

SYN BLACK XS
03-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Bits will supposedly be equivalent to: $20 for 1400 Bits
Bits will be purchasable via MS Points/etc
Ego respec costs = Current EGO rating x 10
Hellbug Archers have feelings.

The last is bs.

Over00
03-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Bits will supposedly be equivalent to: $20 for 1400 Bits
Bits will be purchasable via MS Points/etc
Ego respec costs = Current EGO rating x 10
Hellbug Archers have feelings.

The last is bs.

Don't say that! You'll hurt their fee....oh wait

Houngan
03-27-2013, 07:22 AM
I almost skipped cloak because I didn't know that you quickly re-cloak after you attack if you have duration left. This makes perks that increase duration just as good with cloak as they are on other ego abilities.

ironhands
03-27-2013, 07:50 AM
EGO Upgrades need to be Unlocked with EGO Points. But they have to be EQUIPPED before they have any effect.

you don't automatically get the benefit of the Upgrade when you unlock it.

you also can only equip a certain number of them, so it might be best to max out each one you want, instead of unlocking many different ones

Vuule
03-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Infectors shoot in burst of 5 bullets. If you hold fire, you'll shoot each burst faster, than if you were to tap the fire button after each burst. This is great to either quickly fire a burst towards a target, or take some extra time to aim your weapon while shooting.

mcwjimbo
03-27-2013, 08:24 AM
didn't know there was quick travel & thus didn't have to drive/ run to every freaking ark fall on the other side of the map

saw there was quick travel after beta watching a you tube vid and went "DOH!"

Dtrick
03-27-2013, 08:31 AM
I did not know that you have to enable floating combat text. I think it should be turned on by default.

Adamascus
03-27-2013, 08:31 AM
You can drift/ pull a handbrake turn if you press o (on Xbox) without accelerate button pressed....found myself doing donuts for ages once I found this out!

Serrot
03-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Ahh! I see! That is actually a very good tip that! Cheers mate, and all others who replied to me :)

Anarchy59
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
You can easily turn on a numerical value of combat damage in your settings, although it may detract from the experience for some players it's a nice way to figure out the weak spots on enemies :)

FantasyMeister
03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
They should compile a bunch of these replies and add them to the hints that pop up in loading screens.

Quirky
03-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Not sure if it has already been said but you can stack Personal/Group/Clan Boosts (think its 5/6/7% so 19% in total or something)

MadProffeser
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
At Ego 500 you can hold two lock box keys.

l Calypso l
03-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Allright here's one alot of people do not know. When in character creation, there is the obvious creation options, and then there is something that everyone seems to miss. Each "class" has a few options unique to its customization that other classes don't get. Like a hairdo that one gets but the other doesn't. This is also true of the same class but different race

Wait what!? I did not notice this.

Daymarr
03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

What were the differences between the classes?

Zraxus
03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Overcharge gets rid of or negates recoil - ie: pull out the LMG and hold the trigger down!! the gun wont bounce around at all

Viciouz
03-27-2013, 01:17 PM
trucks and challengers hold a passenger and you car wont disapear if you leave it as long as you passenger stays in the car :o

winterforge
03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
I used to be an Ark Hunter like you, then a Hellbug Archer shot me in the knee.

Dra Fiend
03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
If you kill things while driveing they wont drop anything so dont bring one to Arc falls. The Contracts you get are way to easy to complete all you do is drive around the area it says and if some random player is killing the thing that drops the item you need it just pops up saying you aquired (Raider Cook Book) or what ever you need. Well at least on beta I maxed out my rep for 3 dif factions in 5 hours just driveing around lvl up my atv.

Dixa
03-27-2013, 01:32 PM
consecutive rolls clears burning dots and sludge

UmbrusNightshade
03-27-2013, 05:14 PM
1. Other players are purple on your mini-map; NPCs are also purple on mini-map (at least in Beta) but they are smaller icons than Players

2. Sometimes it's best not to follow the GPS when setting a waypoint as it will tell you to go over terrain that you cannot. Thus keep an eye on where it's telling you to go.

3. Dancing is awesome!

4. Don't go into missions that require you to be in a building solo with just a sniper rifle and a pistol. (I know from experience)

5. Electrical mods/weapons are amazing! They stun most enemies which gives you an advantage when facing an ambush.

6. Fire and Electrical are good against Hellbugs.

7. Some mobs will throw grenades at you. It can catch you off guard.

8. Von Bach seems like a d-b@g

9. The Raider Tanker is a beast. You must shoot him in the yellow parts of his mech-pack. These parts are hit best from the back.

ItISLupus
03-27-2013, 05:37 PM
1. Other players are purple on your mini-map; NPCs are also purple on mini-map (at least in Beta) but they are smaller icons than Players

2. Sometimes it's best not to follow the GPS when setting a waypoint as it will tell you to go over terrain that you cannot. Thus keep an eye on where it's telling you to go.

3. Dancing is awesome!

4. Don't go into missions that require you to be in a building solo with just a sniper rifle and a pistol. (I know from experience)

5. Electrical mods/weapons are amazing! They stun most enemies which gives you an advantage when facing an ambush.

6. Fire and Electrical are good against Hellbugs.

7. Some mobs will throw grenades at you. It can catch you off guard.

8. Von Bach seems like a d-b@g

9. The Raider Tanker is a beast. You must shoot him in the yellow parts of his mech-pack. These parts are hit best from the back.

for that last one. when he drops to his knees. He lifts his face mask up and you can pummel his face with bullets

Lord Marshal
03-27-2013, 05:50 PM
So how do you quick travel? I never did figure that out so I wasn't sure there was quick travel. Now that I know, I want to know!

FantasyMeister
03-27-2013, 05:59 PM
So how do you quick travel? I never did figure that out so I wasn't sure there was quick travel. Now that I know, I want to know!

Open map, find blue arrow marker (the first one you get is top left of the map, first camp/vendor area you arrive at after the tutorial), highlight marker, press relevant fast travel button and confirm (A on the 360). As you visit more areas you'll unlock more blue markers at specific locations.

JerZey CJ
03-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Allright here's one alot of people do not know. When in character creation, there is the obvious creation options, and then there is something that everyone seems to miss. Each "class" has a few options unique to its customization that other classes don't get. Like a hairdo that one gets but the other doesn't. This is also true of the same class but different race Is that true? I didn't really notice a difference between the "classes".

Kisala
03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Yes it is.

Buruko
03-27-2013, 06:33 PM

Actually each Origin ("class") has a specific outfit, then each Origin has 4 Archetypes which very the various customizations you can choose from somewhat.

On the Xbox you can switch customization options using LB and RB, on PC it's a menu in the upper left hand corner.

Opus
03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
When you get to a certain amount of scrip, it makes more sense to start breaking down weapons/grendes/shields to resources than selling them to vendors.

Along the same vein: If you're in the middle of doing an ark fall (the minor ones leading up to the big one), and you run out of inventory room, you can just break down lesser white/green items to resources so you can make room for more items. (Instead of running off to the vendor to sell them, potentially leaving behind a purple or blue item.)

Wendigo Jones
03-27-2013, 06:42 PM
All good stuff ladies and gentlemen... keep it coming. Apologies I do not have anything to add, well only that staring at the "sign in change error" screen though most of the beta was good test of character and to NDA lift has lead to footage that only makes me want to play this even more... must meditate now in case the sign in change occurs again at launch.... ommmm.... ommmmm.

FantasyMeister
03-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Tip: Whilst playing Defiance, keep a browser open with tabs to:

www.twitter.com/DefianceGame

and

http://forums.defiance.com/

Then if anything unexpected occurs, refresh both tabs and see if Trion are already on the case or have a fix for it.

ChaosOneX
03-27-2013, 07:10 PM
There is a deer in mount tam that, when killed, instantly respawns. If you have an infector that makes bugs, this leads to at least an hour of entertainment.

mcwjimbo
03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
There is a deer in mount tam that, when killed, instantly respawns. If you have an infector that makes bugs, this leads to at least an hour of entertainment.

^ Bambi is going to kick your @ss for messing with his cousins :-P

ChaosOneX
03-27-2013, 07:26 PM
^ Bambi is going to kick your @ss for messing with his cousins :-P
my army of bugs says otherwise

TechGnome
03-27-2013, 07:35 PM
One thing I wish I had found out sooner - mashing the A button while riding on the quad engages the afterburners on that thing... didn't discover that until late... would have made it a lot easier to get out of some situations.

-tg

Over00
03-28-2013, 01:59 AM
One thing I wish I had found out sooner - mashing the A button while riding on the quad engages the afterburners on that thing... didn't discover that until late... would have made it a lot easier to get out of some situations.

-tg

Might be totally different on the xbox, but on the PC version you don't need to mash the boost button but rather hold it down until the boost runs out.

Daymarr
03-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Might be totally different on the xbox, but on the PC version you don't need to mash the boost button but rather hold it down until the boost runs out.

You can hold it too on Xbox Version so just picture him mashing the A button like ******* and lets move on. :)

Over00
03-28-2013, 02:05 AM
You can hold it too on Xbox Version so just picture him mashing the A button like ******* and lets move on. :)

All I pictured of him was mashing the button but only getting a milisecond of boost before it went on that small timer it has before re-use :o Not much of a boost at all hehe

zane21z
03-28-2013, 02:52 AM
What I learned about this game that I didn't know before the beta is that other than the super sensitive controller deadzone, this game is awesome. Immediately pre-ordered afterwards. :)

Jeb Neptune
03-28-2013, 06:12 AM
When using decoy, if you double click it you will transport to your double. This can be highly unfortunate during pve but rather awesome in pvp to get away from or get close to something quickly.

RawrKitty
03-28-2013, 07:16 AM
u need to do contracts for good gear
what are contracts?

YOUGONLEARN2DAY
03-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Hey guys, thought it might be useful to start a thread posting things you've learned about Defiance.

Doesn't matter if it seems too obvious, please post anyway. :D

Here's mine - to get it started...

Double tap 'crouch button' on console to do a combat roll.

Also to piggyback on this if you combat roll when you are on fire it will help to put out the DOT flames quicker.

Opus
03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
what are contracts?

At EGO 250 you will be able to do contracts for various factions. It could be anything from kill 5 Monarchs in Mt. Tam to killing 100 99ers in Madera, and the time limits vary based on how hard the contract is. There's also contracts that are PvP and Co-op based. So it's not strictly running around and killing hellbugs.

RawrKitty
03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
At EGO 250 you will be able to do contracts for various factions. It could be anything from kill 5 Monarchs in Mt. Tam to killing 100 99ers in Madera, and the time limits vary based on how hard the contract is. There's also contracts that are PvP and Co-op based. So it's not strictly running around and killing hellbugs.

cool thanks, im guessing they'll be on boards or some kind of marker on map? or do i get them from the menu?

TechGnome
03-28-2013, 10:18 AM
All I pictured of him was mashing the button but only getting a milisecond of boost before it went on that small timer it has before re-use :o Not much of a boost at all hehe

hehe... fair enough...
to me pressing a button means press and release... as in "press any key to continue" .... yeah, that's only going to get you a brief boost... mashing - press and hold the d**n thing down until you run out...

-tg

(still looking for that any key btw... going on 30+ years....)

Opus
03-28-2013, 10:20 AM
cool thanks, im guessing they'll be on boards or some kind of marker on map? or do i get them from the menu?

They'll be listed somewhere, probably in pursuits once they unlock.

NocteLupus1
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
They'll be listed somewhere, probably in pursuits once they unlock.

They do show up in the pursuits tab. Once you hit EGO rank 250, you're able to tab over to Contracts from the Pursuits page by hitting the corresponding button for your game system. (R1 on PS3, don't know for the other consoles.

Amnesia
03-28-2013, 10:44 AM
They do show up in the pursuits tab.Like pursuits, do you automagically get the rewards upon completion, or do they need to be "turned in" somewhere?

mcwjimbo
03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Like pursuits, do you automagically get the rewards upon completion, or do they need to be "turned in" somewhere?

pursuit rewards are just ego points and auto once completed, at least the ones i did and or saw in vids. was like +4 ego for pursuit and then completion of pursuits in a list/group 4-5 gave +40 ego on top of each +4

NocteLupus1
03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Like pursuits, do you automagically get the rewards upon completion, or do they need to be "turned in" somewhere?

Not really sure on that one. I noticed that during gameplay it would say I completed a contract, so it seems the contracts themselves don't need to be turned in. However, I never actually managed to increase my reputation ranking with any of the factions, so I don't know if you have to go talk to a guild representative (which seemed to have been mentioned by my EGO) after ranking up to continue doing contracts.

Amnesia
03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
I guess it was just disabled for beta...

Archangel
03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
You may not have known this but if you try to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge before completing the serious of main missions quest to unlock San Francisco you will run into a HUGE scrapper robot that would love to like you on facebook.....

he 1 shots you and your car and continues to shoot you while you bleed out... fair warning, but tons of fun to see.

Kantazo
03-28-2013, 11:19 AM
If you jump with your car into a lake you will drown. I did and got an accomplishment for it. LOL Trion has a sadistic sense of humor.

Archangel
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
If you jump with your car into a lake you will drown. I did and got an accomplishment for it. LOL Trion has a sadistic sense of humor.

lol that must have earned you some ego points too. dang. Now i have to drown in all vehicle forms to see.

Or you could have just lied and now thousands of people are going to kill themselves. lol

Either way, that's both funny and awesome.

Kantazo
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
It happened for real, when you get to the mission that you meet the white lady (Iranthien) and meet the Fat allien with mustache that owns the land and he asks for your help, when you get out of that point there is a big lake on the left, when you get out of the compound just turn left and jumped into the lake it is like 1000 feet jump and you get an accomplishment for that too.

mcwjimbo
03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
lol that must have earned you some ego points too. dang. Now i have to drown in all vehicle forms to see.

Or you could have just lied and now thousands of people are going to kill themselves. lol

Either way, that's both funny and awesome.

***raises hand***

& makes a note to drown in lake to see what happens

Corun
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
But who says that the crystals are not part of the debris that floats around in orbit? Maybe it's some kind of material the arks were crafted from or part of their former cargo? Maybe the arkfall in the series is a special one and therefore a whole ship? Lorewise we don't know that much.

Being that the game and TV series are supposed to be one in the same, I would rather the devs get it accurate than rely on fuzzy logic.

Phoenix, I was posting on topic with the thread, so no need to get personal about it.

Opus
03-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Not really sure on that one. I noticed that during gameplay it would say I completed a contract, so it seems the contracts themselves don't need to be turned in. However, I never actually managed to increase my reputation ranking with any of the factions, so I don't know if you have to go talk to a guild representative (which seemed to have been mentioned by my EGO) after ranking up to continue doing contracts.

The faction rankings are displayed in the Stats tab, along with your currencies, weapons/vehicles stats, etc.

You will automatically get new contracts once the old ones are completed or time runs out. You don't have to talk to anyone. When they mention visiting with a faction, they're basically telling you to go the various faction vendors to use your faction money. The only one I remember seeing this past weekend was VBI at Shondu's.

Piegon
03-28-2013, 12:32 PM
If your inventory is full, the quest items will "overflow" into your defiance store. You can claim them any time later. The lock boxes can/did work that way, it seems some could not find the boxes bought with bits. Make sure you have room when you open lock boxes. Tier 1=2 items. Tier 2=3. Tier 3=4.

JagerMyk
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Ok so I only got to play the beta for a day, but HOLYFRIKNCHUNGA's Ladies & Gents!!
Thank you to all of you, I am by no means a newb to mmos but I feel like a newb just reading all of these.
So what have I learned since playing the Beta, well to keep my mind&eyes open, an my mouth shut. To learn from whats around me for knowledge an game styles from ppl that know a hellalot more than me. Peace an again thanks all, mJ

AGuyWithNoName
03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Overcharge is also good for an auto re-load. I'm pretty sure that's common knowledge (as it's in the description I think) but using this in tandem with an LMG can save you in a hectic situation. Unload/supress and when you reach the end of the clip, slam on your overcharge and your LMG is instantly reloaded. Saves you a good three seconds or more from the woeful reload time on the LMG's.

If you're going to be a support PvE overcharge user, give some thought in investing in the abilities that give you X amount of ammo refill upon killing enemy in X manner while overcharge is active. I found these abilities useful in the arkfalls/instances I attended simply for the reason that I was one of those that tried to keep the larger mass of hellbugs/mutants away from the damage dealers. These abilities kept a high volume of lead in the air from my LMG which means less aggravation for those focusing on the crystal/objective. Still need to tinker/plot out this sort of build but I could see these abilities being quite useful.

Weak points on mobs that I'm aware of:

Archers- I haven't seen a singular point on these that yields more damage than the rest but these things are a PAIN (hate these more than any other thing I've come across). Shoot them a.s.a.p. Not sure why but these critters (*flow break* the remake of that movie better be as good as the original dang it!! lol) and the fleshy towers that shoot at you did the most damage to me when I'd attend an arkfall so they'd get priority over anything else. (This is taking into account you're there for support).

Hellbug Warriors - Tail and mouth. The mouth is a little difficult as most of the time you'll only get this one as he's regurgitating a movement impeding goo on you, but it also yields a lot more damage.

Hellbug Monarchs - Tail, mouth, underbelly (the glowing yellow part)

Hellbug Symbiont(sp?)- Glowing underside of his Tail.

Again for support/healers: I know in the more chaotic circumstances, the sound would cut out, but it's important that you listen for audio cues as well as visual. If you hear "I'm losing a lot of blood here" or "bleeding out", do a quick scan...a fellow Ark Hunter is in trouble.

Pasha
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
You can customize your character during creation - hairs, tattoos, eyes, etc. 4 screens there - find them on top of the page.

Always shoot yellow (vulnerable) spots.

Your groupmate can sit in your car as passenger.

If you have full inventory and couldn't get item reward for a quest - check "claim" section of bit-shop.

Substantial part of advices in this thread is BS - experiment and experience everything firsthand.

Opus
03-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Archers- I haven't seen a singular point on these that yields more damage than the rest but these things are a PAIN (hate these more than any other thing I've come across). Shoot them a.s.a.p. Not sure why but these critters (*flow break* the remake of that movie better be as good as the original dang it!! lol) and the fleshy towers that shoot at you did the most damage to me when I'd attend an arkfall so they'd get priority over anything else. (This is taking into account you're there for support).

Archers are bad, Elite Archers are worse, but the all-time biggest killer at ark falls are the blastpods. They're like a semi-auto archer in weird fungi form. I usually run up directly to one of them, then take those out. While others can target you, that particular blastpod cannot, due to the closeness. I take these out quickly, especially if there's just 2 or 3 people around, or else they'll slaughter everyone.

Darkane
04-04-2013, 04:43 AM
I found this out last night. When you unlock ego powers, such as scavenger, they arent automatically active. You have to equip them. Sounds obvious but I had no idea about this. Now my character is a bit more powerful!

You get so many slots for ego powers and can unlock more.

Darksider
04-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Has anyone posted color ratings yet?

Basically:
White - Normal ($500)
Yellow - Uncommon ($1,000)
Blue - Rare ($2,000)
Purple - Very Rare ($5,000)
Orange - Good luck finding one lol ($12,500)
Red - Sell your soul and MAYBE you'll get one. (Lol idk, never found one)

Prices listed are average prices for that type of weapon.

Wulffeee
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
What are coop maps and how to access them? I'm EGO 120 I unlocked one but how do I play it with 3 other friends?

Craycarl
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
You may not have known this but if you try to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge before completing the serious of main missions quest to unlock San Francisco you will run into a HUGE scrapper robot that would love to like you on facebook.....

he 1 shots you and your car and continues to shoot you while you bleed out... fair warning, but tons of fun to see.

LOL did this today was kind of funny thought I could out run him

Darkane
04-05-2013, 05:32 AM
On the Hellion Arkfall, where you can only damage the large boss by attacking the flying bug... to get the bug to detach / fly out, you must destroy the Monarch bugs - the very large ones. They have weak spots on their tails and underbellies.

EDIT: I usually chatpad something like 'kill the monarchs to make the bug come out' as most people aren't sure how to do it. Then the tide of the battle really turns and the Hellion is in for a hard time.

WaGzy
04-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Aim your BMG slightly above enemy heads to get RAPID crits :3

Darkane
04-05-2013, 05:36 AM
Another one I found out last night...

You'll notice you can break down weapons. But what's the point in doing that you might ask? It gives you a green currency 'Ark Salvage'. Take that green currency to a Lock Box Vendor (the little boxes next to the larger vendors) and you can buy a KeyCode with it for 1000. Buy lots of keycodes!

Keycodes are required, along with Scrip, to purchase lock boxes. And Tier 3 and especially Tier 4 contain really good weapons.

Humble
04-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Tier 2 lockboxes gives in the long term better weapons. Which is nice! I always purchase tier 2 lockboxes now :P at the cost of 1/3 of tier 3, i don't see any reason to buy tier 3..

DjSparx162
04-05-2013, 05:53 AM
PS3 in the menu press L2 then Square to log out.

Kittea
04-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Well, I found out when fighting Raider Tankers, you already know to hit their tanks on their backs, but when they kneel down go around them and shoot them in the face for massive crits.

Darkane
04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Great info, thanks to all suggestions and posts.

Here's another one... those annoying raiders with the shields - melee them and they drop their guard long enough for you to do some serious damage.

Tainerif
04-05-2013, 10:32 AM

yeah I really hope thats a bug because that's ****ing ******ed.

Here ya go, have a penalty for xping up a weapon you like.. stupid.

Tainerif
04-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Also to piggyback on this if you combat roll when you are on fire it will help to put out the DOT flames quicker.

wait wait wait.. so you can legitimately stop. drop. and roll?

That makes me happy.

Kazamario
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
wait wait wait.. so you can legitimately stop. drop. and roll?

That makes me happy.

I was just saying the same thing on another post. That is awesome!

Dr D Wayne Love
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM

You'll notice you can break down weapons. But what's the point in doing that you might ask? It gives you a green currency 'Ark Salvage'. Take that green currency to a Lock Box Vendor (the little boxes next to the larger vendors) and you can buy a KeyCode with it for 1000. Buy lots of keycodes!

Keycodes are required, along with Scrip, to purchase lock boxes. And Tier 3 and especially Tier 4 contain really good weapons.

I think those green credits are better saved to spend on attaching mods.

Kazamario
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Once you max out a weapon, that weapon no longer contributes to your Weapon Skill. Remember to switch often within the same class, or you can use the salvage matrix to "reset" the weapon if you really love it.

Thorbrand
04-05-2013, 10:44 AM
That my friends I played MMOs with for years have become weak gamers because they find this game to hard for them to play and they have no clue anymore how to group in a MMO. I need a new group of gamer friends!

Shogo_Yahagi
04-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Once you max out a weapon, that weapon no longer contributes to your Weapon Skill. Remember to switch often within the same class, or you can use the salvage matrix to "reset" the weapon if you really love it.

I haven't maxed out any of my weapons yet, but my understanding is that they've changed that since the beta. During the beta, they talked about adding a reset option but I think they just let it continue gaining xp instead. Several people have posted that they have leveled up a weapon class while using a maxed-out weapon.

That is to say, once the weapon is maxed out, you no longer get better with that specific weapon, but you continue to get better with that class of weapons (which will, in turn, improve your base ability with that specific weapon).

Twinkler
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Pursuits contribute directly to Ego rating.

The view for the pursuits reward is bugged, you get the helmet and the outfit, not just the helmet.

Tainerif
04-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I haven't maxed out any of my weapons yet, but my understanding is that they've changed that since the beta. During the beta, they talked about adding a reset option but I think they just let it continue gaining xp instead. Several people have posted that they have leveled up a weapon class while using a maxed-out weapon.

That is to say, once the weapon is maxed out, you no longer get better with that specific weapon, but you continue to get better with that class of weapons (which will, in turn, improve your base ability with that specific weapon).

I think this is important and should be verified by someone. Anyone have any additional insight into this specific subject?

IIFatalshockII
04-05-2013, 11:08 AM
How do you get Contracts?

knightblaster
04-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Ark salvage is also used in modding, creating mod slots and so on.

Lodestar
04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Anyone know if you can trade with other players and how you do it?

Jarlo
04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
To trade with other players hit your quickbutton menu (z on PC) then near players, pick the player, then Trade.

Kitten Mittons
04-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I think this is important and should be verified by someone. Anyone have any additional insight into this specific subject?

On the subject of weapon xp and character weapon level.
I wanted to test that out, having heard it both ways. I've been using a maxed out shot gun rather extensively to see if I make any progress on the (character) weapon level. So far it seems as though it DOESN'T work with a maxed out gun.

shortname
04-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyone know if you can trade with other players and how you do it?
you get them in a group ( well I do ) or you are near them and then you send a trade invite under the persons name and then you trade

Darkane
04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Here's something I'm testing out now. The Xbox smart glass app is free and it let's you type instead of using a cumbersome chat pad or wired USB keyboard. For Xbox.

Edit this doesn't work on iPad anyway.

Lodestar
04-05-2013, 02:29 PM
To trade with other players hit your quickbutton menu (z on PC) then near players, pick the player, then Trade.

Ok thanks shall give it a go. Was one of the things I never figured out during testing.

Dakirn
04-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Explore: Unlocking all of the quick travel points (save San Fran) as soon as you get your runner allows you to quickly move around the map and check shops.

At EGO 100, advanced weapons such as BMG, rocket launchers and grenade launchers start appearing as drops and on vendors.

If you have a lot of Scrip, break down weapons for Ark Salvage and use that to buy keycodes for lockboxes, or to add mod slots and mods to your equipment.

Starlight
04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Here's something I'm testing out now. The Xbox smart glass app is free and it let's you type instead of using a cumbersome chat pad or wired USB keyboard. For Xbox.

Edit this doesn't work on iPad anyway.

I can't get this to work on my iPhone. It's greyed out for me, how do you do it?