PDA

View Full Version : So, what happens once I finish the story?

Slivovidze
07-12-2013, 01:39 AM
I bought Defiance 4 days ago (just before it got discounted in steam summer sale, yay) and so far I'm having tons of fun. I do the story and along the way I complete all side missions, episode missions, I often stop to do the events on the roads and arkfalls, I often return way back for a major arkfall and I'm pretty much constantly in queue for a co-op mission. My motivation to do all this stuff is to gear and level myself up for the story that is ahead of me.

But I worry,what is the motivation to play once I beat the story? Is there some challenging content for the end game? I came here from SWTOR (completely different stuff, yeah, but still), where the situation is similar, but we have some hard mode instances in the end game, which can actually prove challenging and require some team coordination. The co-op missions here are ridiculously easy so I imagine I will have fun in them only for so long. The biggest challenge I have found so far are the Volge roadblocks.

So, what is the fuel for you, high level players, besides trying to finish goals?

Foolishness
07-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Anyone want to sound off on this? I'm curious as well.

Wtflag
07-12-2013, 02:32 AM
Defiance is a causal game (which just gone more causal over the months as they keep lowering the requirements to get stuff).

The volge road blocks are as tough as it gets now.

When the DLC comes, we will have volge sieges and dark matter Arkfalls which should be harder than any current content we have at the moment.

However, do note that leveling yourself up does not actually work after ego level 1000 as certain parts of the game mechanics actually punishes you for it. You can read the whole issue here: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?106516-Making-high-ego-levels-worth-getting

Aeothena
07-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Welcome to the game, enjoy the short stay. Or at least, be prepared to level a new character every 2 weeks as going on beyond that is pointless....

Note:
Failed to answer your real question. When you beat the story, you're given the possibility to do it all over again, and again, and again, and....

Slivovidze
07-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Oh well, that's not cool. I've checked around the forums and saw lots of dev bashing around, but honestly I've never played a MMO where the devs wouldn't get bashed in a similar manner. I'll see what comes from the DLC's, hopefully I'll find something fun enough to keep me around.

How's the PvP? I have tried one shadow war, where I managed to get some kills and captures but still I did real bad, and one PvP map where I got my butt kicked hard. Is PvP generally for the tough diehards, or can a casual player have actual fun in there?

@Wtflag, what actually made you stay and play long enough to get to EGO 5000, and are/were you still having fun?

Arsenic_Touch
07-12-2013, 02:56 AM
Pursuits, weapon levels, some pvp. RNG key grinding through arkfalls to find that one weapon you really want.

Find an active clan with a teamspeak or vent (if you're on pc), it makes the game so much more enjoyable despite it being extremely shallow.

Aeothena
07-12-2013, 02:56 AM
Oh well, that's not cool. I've checked around the forums and saw lots of dev bashing around, but honestly I've never played a MMO where the devs wouldn't get bashed in a similar manner. I'll see what comes from the DLC's, hopefully I'll find something fun enough to keep me around.

How's the PvP? I have tried one shadow war, where I managed to get some kills and captures but still I did real bad, and one PvP map where I got my butt kicked hard. Is PvP generally for the tough diehards, or can a casual player have actual fun in there?

It's not COD, I'll tell you that. Some say it's just, "jump in, after 20 matches you get the hang of it". I say, level up to at least 4-500 EGO, learn or ask around what perks is the best combo and THEN get in.

I can't tell you what to bring as I have avoided that part so far. Going to break into that area this weekend actually...

Slivovidze
07-12-2013, 03:02 AM
Find an active clan with a teamspeak or vent (if you're on pc), it makes the game so much more enjoyable despite it being extremely shallow.

Speaking of clans, is there any actual clan content? I have noticed that this game has poor social functions, and I imagine that all use I could make of a clan would be just to chat about nonsense, because everything seems to be doable without clan cooperation.

@Aeothena, I guess the figuring out is a part of it ;), however I consider myself pretty bad PvP player (especially when it comes to fast paced PvP like Defiance has) and I can hardly see myself PvPing for a long time with 1-5 kill-deaths as it would probably frustrate me quickly.

Wtflag
07-12-2013, 03:13 AM
PVP is ok, you just have to care less about winning or losing until you learn the in/outs of it. The rewards for winning or losing is the same anyway.

As for what keeps in motivated to level to 5000, it is a combination of factors:

1. Ark Pedator suit (only to later find out that it is bugged http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?100304-Annoying-bug-for-Ark-Pedator-suit.)

2. 9 skill slots (required 4000 ego before they decided to give it away at 1000)

3. I'm a completionist

4. No new game attracts me at the moment. (Where are you my little Fallout 4?)

Korben Reynolds
07-12-2013, 03:20 AM
After you've completed the main story you have the option to run it again, you can do the co-op maps, you can PvP, you can complete Contracts, or you can do area missions at the various ranches, mines, and smelteries. If you're the type of gamer that can make goals for yourself or if you really enjoy one aspect of the game, then your even better off.

Right now Defiance is definitely leaning more towards the sandbox end of the MMO spectrum. After you complete the main story and do all the side missions, there isn't a lot of hand-holding to tell you what to do next. There is always more content and stuff coming down the road, but it's going to require a bit of patience before we get there.

Arsenic_Touch
07-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Speaking of clans, is there any actual clan content? I have noticed that this game has poor social functions, and I imagine that all use I could make of a clan would be just to chat about nonsense, because everything seems to be doable without clan cooperation.

There is no in game content that actually requires a clan, however if your clan officers/leaders are resourceful enough there are ways to make things fun and content filled.

When the sieges were in game (plague sieges) my clan organized well enough to hit level 24, almost hit 25 but there was a spawn spot where the infected would trickle in one at a time. So it ended up that the game couldn't keep up with our clan. This was the closest to raid content at the time that you could get into with this game because to get to that high of a level, it required quite a bit of coordination, especially with non clan members that would run around and start the events early or lure mobs away from their spawn points and our AOE strikes.

We have clan races(some races can get screwed up because of the phasing system will teleport people out), relay events, entire shadow wars with nothing but clan members on each side, pvp matches with nothing but clan mates on each side (team speak gets kind of loud, heh)

Our officers indominable, sidref and scsessions came up with some unique events to do during shadow wars such as demolition derby (entire clan will queue into a shadow war and as your team is split, line up on the side of a valley and ride our quads into each other until they explode, then it's time to out run the other quads, last man standing wins, (usually ends up with 5 people on team chasing down 1 lone guy) (gets really funny when someone manages to snag a cerberus and bring it in, damn thing is crazy)

Another event we call shark attack where after the teams are split, one side lines up over a body of water while the other one is up high shooting them with sniper rifles and assault rifles. The objective being to get through the shots and get to the one spot designated as the safe zone.

And another called dodge ball where we line up on each side armed with nothing but detonators and grenades and just start lobbing them across the valley at each other, once you're out of ammo you have to drop down into the valley to melee it out and the last man or or men on one side standing wins.

We've also gathered all available clan members into a single phase of san quentin to do nothing but melee a hulker and since enemies health scales based on the amount of players involved, 30 players vs a hulker while meleeing is a funny sight.

We're always coming up with things like this to make the current content much more enjoyable. Without the clan I would've stopped playing a long time ago because the game really is lacking in end game sustainable content. Of course this is for the PC side, I'm sure there are some clans on the console versions with similar sets ups. (Yeah, sorry for the long post)

Maeloda
07-12-2013, 03:37 AM
New here too OP, but it sounds like once you've done all story/missions, it's all about (for PvE):
-pursuits
-grinding repeatable stuff for RNG upgrades
-max EGO level

Other than that, do whatever temporary content/events that come up (like the Episode Missions, things like the recent Plague event), and wait for DLC.

Defiance really seems like a game that you either play casually and pop in when there's new things (like a shooter version of The Secret World), or you hardcore grind and grind and grind. The latter only being fun if you have a social structure in the game and a good clan :). Up to the player.

Over time, I expect more 'raid like' very hard content, perhaps in the first 2-3 DLCs.

Slivovidze
07-12-2013, 03:38 AM
...(Yeah, sorry for the long post)

Well, I will need a clan. :)

Thanks everyone for input!

Assasino
07-12-2013, 04:24 AM
Yeah i have pretty much grinding through doing the same thing over again
just to try and get more Legendary weapons i guess. Not a heck of a lot to do once the story or updates are complete. Usually pop in when there is updates or want to trade items with someone

Aeothena
07-12-2013, 04:31 AM
There is no in game content that actually requires a clan, however if your clan officers/leaders are resourceful enough there are ways to make things fun and content filled

There are a few "trade with clan members, have 15 clan members join you at major arkfall at the same time" things. But other than that, it’s pretty your own thing if you want to. You're forced into small groups of 4 when making co-op maps. More fun to do with a friend in group chat prior to entering the co-op map.

There are 104 things to accomplish for season 1. It will be no surprise if they release Another 104 to the next season. In between there will be new tasks as the DLC drops. So, you're going to make EGO 5k eventually just doing these as it requires you to use all the vehicles and weapons. A small section aims for PVP... (Echolon contracts and reputation task)

Note:
Why do I get the feeling this thread is made from an OLD player "complaining though a made up question"?

Slivovidze
07-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Why do I get the feeling this thread is made from an OLD player "complaining though a made up question"?

Nope, I'm really a new guy, this is just my first MMOFPS and I got kinda worried that as there is no progression, the content could quickly dry out. I am not a FPS veteran, I even consider myself pretty bad at shooting things (that's why shotgun is my weapon of choice, the spread kinda makes sure that I will hit something) but I somehow manage to flow through this game without big problems, which made me wonder if there is any challenging endgame content. Since I am far from being a completionist, I do not give a damn about goals, pursuits or avhievements and I do not like repeating the stories, I fear that my worries will become true by the end of next week.

I made this thread in a hope of response like "yeah, when you reach EGO 2500 and join a clan, there are hardcore 16-men raids open, but beware, they are really hard and require lots of cooperation in your team"

Hopefully these will come in DLC's ;)

BTW, about the series, is it like any other series? Season ends by July (which happened) and another one begins in autumn? I have found out about Defiance only recently and watched whole season in one week, so I don't really know when this one began. And how does the series stand, popularity wise? Aren't there threats of it being cancelled, like some other awesome series did? (hello, Firefly)

squidgod2000
07-12-2013, 06:18 AM
So, what is the fuel for you, high level players, besides trying to finish goals?

Lack of other options (until FFXIV:ARR launches).

Arsenic_Touch
07-12-2013, 06:40 AM
BTW, about the series, is it like any other series? Season ends by July (which happened) and another one begins in autumn? I have found out about Defiance only recently and watched whole season in one week, so I don't really know when this one began. And how does the series stand, popularity wise? Aren't there threats of it being cancelled, like some other awesome series did? (hello, Firefly)

Season 2 will be out June 2014. It started April 15th, 13 days after the game went live on the 2nd.
The ratings are good, the reviews are mediocre to good.