PDA

View Full Version : Defiance needs better marketing

Dark_Deceptions
03-27-2013, 07:25 AM
For such an amazing game im surprised of the lack of marketing. Every Gamestop around does not have enough pre-orders for a midnight launch. This game is a gem and most of my gamer friends never heard of it. Not everyone watchs syfy and thats where its advertised. Word of mouth will help this game sell but am I the only one that feels Trion dropped the ball on marketing for such an amazing game.

Kendra
03-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Maybe it's just the sites I go to but recently (Like staring last week) I've been seeing Defiance web ads on every other site I go to... but yeah, until then there was nothing...

SpazQ
03-27-2013, 07:34 AM
kinda kept it on the down low cause of the tv show aswell but i do agree no adverts in england over here

Kyon
03-27-2013, 08:09 AM
You'd think for it being a console MMO they'd be marketing the hell out of that fact but I haven't seen a thing. Hopefully this doesn't effect post-launch support for the game. Also stupid region lock.

DocRogers
03-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Marketing $$$ often represent the amount of confidence the developer and publisher have in the product.

Red flag.

Munx
03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
While I think some of the defiance marketing is very clever, however I also have to agree that the defiance marketing seems a bit sub-par.

Part of this is because they choose such a poorly thought out title for the game, don't get me wrong the meaning of the word etc makes perfect sense, the problem is theres SOOOO many products, and other things that share the name, that it becomes a issue.

Also it kinda feels like who ever is doing the PR, isnt entirely sure which market they should try to draw.

I would say that the lack of pre-order on steam is a rather grim sign of just how mediocre the pr is so far.

Then again, I am sure a majority of the marketing will come via the show itself, which is overall a really clever idea, as you'll prob have less people on day one, meaning servers wont choke and die, while the game will steadily grow.

Dark_Deceptions
03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Just called and confirmed with my gamestop no midnight release. Makes me sad that a game like this will have no midnight launch. If only the word had gotten out faster.

KaosPenguin
03-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Just called and confirmed with my gamestop no midnight release. Makes me sad that a game like this will have no midnight launch. If only the word had gotten out faster.

Don't feel bad, seems like most aren't getting a midnight release, including the one i go to near my house.

MagellanD
03-27-2013, 07:25 PM
They have done some cross promotion in The Big Bang theory with posters in the background of their apartment. I thought that was genius.

BleakPanther
03-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Many NBC/Universal stations have been running commercials for a bit now in the US. The last week there's been a pretty big push that even my Wife has noticed.

Derity
03-27-2013, 07:33 PM
inb4 defiance commercials between tv show breaks

MagellanD
03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
I just saw a bunch of banner ads in sites I was traversing looking for trailers.

They probably put all their budget for marketing on the extreme back end of timing.

Dodece
03-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately the launch window for this game is coming during a season with a embarrassment of riches. A lot of major franchises have seen recent releases. A new unproven property was going to have a hard time of getting noticed going up against. Gears, Dead Space, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, and Dead Island. It is also coming out of the Bermuda Triangle as far as this genre is concerned on the consoles. Console gamers have learned to be jaded and dismissive of the idea that any massive titles even when promised will ever see the light of day on their consoles. So they never get interested to begin with, because they assume it is going to be another classic case of vaporware.

Even a massive advertising blitz probably wouldn't amount to much. When compared against all of that. No amount of advertising is going to turn so many off of games they have waited so long to play. That said I think the original poster actually has it completely backwards. This games advertising has been effectively. It has gotten the majority of the audience that could be gotten in the door. Anything else would have been pretty much wasted. They are also being too rigid in their definition of success. Yes some games do need to sell incredibly well out of the gate, but other games sell better by being slow burners.

This game if it is good enough will keep the early adopters engaged long enough. For a strong word of mouth campaign to pick up the sales heading into the summer doldrums. Once all those big name releases have been played to death, or have lost their luster. Now that is when a lot of players will start to take genuine notice of the game, because they are going to have some friends who have played it for months. Games like this make most of their sales through word of mouth.

Yes even World of Warcraft got most of its sales through word of mouth. The big media blitz for that game didn't come until over two years after it launched. Players in this space are playing the long game. So we shouldn't get caught up in short term thinking. There is a lot of time for this game to sell. It doesn't need to sell five or six million units in a couple months. It can take its time, because it will be relevant for longer. Of coarse that is all contingent on it actually being good as a long term game.

MagellanD
03-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately the launch window for this game is coming during a season with a embarrassment of riches. A lot of major franchises have seen recent releases. A new unproven property was going to have a hard time of getting noticed going up against. Gears, Dead Space, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, and Dead Island. It is also coming out of the Bermuda Triangle as far as this genre is concerned on the consoles. Console gamers have learned to be jaded and dismissive of the idea that any massive titles even when promised will ever see the light of day on their consoles. So they never get interested to begin with, because they assume it is going to be another classic case of vaporware.

Even a massive advertising blitz probably wouldn't amount to much. When compared against all of that. No amount of advertising is going to turn so many off of games they have waited so long to play. That said I think the original poster actually has it completely backwards. This games advertising has been effectively. It has gotten the majority of the audience that could be gotten in the door. Anything else would have been pretty much wasted. They are also being too rigid in their definition of success. Yes some games do need to sell incredibly well out of the gate, but other games sell better by being slow burners.

This game if it is good enough will keep the early adopters engaged long enough. For a strong word of mouth campaign to pick up the sales heading into the summer doldrums. Once all those big name releases have been played to death, or have lost their luster. Now that is when a lot of players will start to take genuine notice of the game, because they are going to have some friends who have played it for months. Games like this make most of their sales through word of mouth.

Yes even World of Warcraft got most of its sales through word of mouth. The big media blitz for that game didn't come until over two years after it launched. Players in this space are playing the long game. So we shouldn't get caught up in short term thinking. There is a lot of time for this game to sell. It doesn't need to sell five or six million units in a couple months. It can take its time, because it will be relevant for longer. Of coarse that is all contingent on it actually being good as a long term game.

I don't think anyone could have said it better.

Adamascus
03-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Whenever I'm on the syfi channel there always seems to be an advert for the t.v show. I've not seen anything else being advertised on other channels for the t.v show or the game though. I think it may be like others on the forum say, it will be a sleeper hit.

Radz
03-28-2013, 07:43 AM
I've seen ads for it all the time lately. TV, YouTube, banner ads, the works.

Wolf
03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
haven't see any ads on websites for either show or game. Small teaser ads for tv show always on SyFy channel but only SyFy. Haven't seen a single ad for game yet on tv. Just lots of Bioshock infinite ads, every time I turn the tv on it seems lol.

Radz
03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
haven't see any ads on websites for either show or game. Small teaser ads for tv show always on SyFy channel but only SyFy. Haven't seen a single ad for game yet on tv. Just lots of Bioshock infinite ads, every time I turn the tv on it seems lol.

Well, I've not seen a single BioShock commercial that I can recall. Different markets I guess...

BleakPanther
03-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Well, I've not seen a single BioShock commercial that I can recall. Different markets I guess...

This^^

/10chars

Sludge
03-28-2013, 08:32 AM
If you look back at the history of MMOs, launches are often a disaster. The game is slowly picking up hype, but it does seem quite a bit lower than other MMOs I've played. Strange considering it's one of the few games to actually become MMOs on consoles, which is rare enough as it is.

But maybe they're going for a slower start, with an intention to pick up speed over the first few months. Word of mouth plus heavy advertising once the game is rolling, then the servers will not crumple on launch day, and a game might actually have posts about how CLEAN an MMO launch was for a change.

Quebra Regra
03-28-2013, 08:56 AM
There's something just plain WRONG here with the marketing, publicity, etc...

As of yesterday there was still not a forum created for the discussion of this game on the official XBOX forums. Yes, these forums are typically inferior to the actual game sponsored forum, but it's yet another means of getting the word out to the community.

IIIJEWISHJEDIII
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
"...the problem is theres SOOOO many products, and other things that share the name, that it becomes a issue" agreed....saw a book, confusion: is the game baised on the book? No. Saw a movie...do they tie in? No. I believe that a better title would helped...

duction
03-30-2013, 12:24 PM
i agree, over here in the UK there is next to nothing in the advertisment parts

Misfit501
03-30-2013, 12:29 PM
I always thought the lack of marketing at first was a bit odd. I have seen a bigger push this past week though.

Fiancee
03-30-2013, 12:38 PM
It'd be best to wait for reviews, if this game takes off its after its reviewed. So yeah, relax guys. Also I'd imagine we get huge boost after people have seen the show, well thats if its good.

Fiancee
03-30-2013, 12:41 PM
There's something just plain WRONG here with the marketing, publicity, etc...

As of yesterday there was still not a forum created for the discussion of this game on the official XBOX forums. Yes, these forums are typically inferior to the actual game sponsored forum, but it's yet another means of getting the word out to the community.

Theres nothing wrong, Trion World's FIRST game came just 2 year ago, they're new.. also they like to publish their own game, they dont have any good publisher backing them up.

gryste
03-30-2013, 12:42 PM
It'd be best to wait for reviews, if this game takes off its after its reviewed. So yeah, relax guys. Also I'd imagine we get huge boost after people have seen the show, well thats if its good.

Providing the show doesn't do a. Revolution on us . Revolution looked really interesting on tv spots and such but god I thought it was boring reminded me of Jericho

Fiancee
03-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Providing the show doesn't do a. Revolution on us . Revolution looked really interesting on tv spots and such but god I thought it was boring reminded me of Jericho

Yep, its ballsy move to make this on new show.

IIIJEWISHJEDIII
03-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I've seen ads for it all the time lately. TV, YouTube, banner ads, the works.

The othe day I was checking out a trailer for the game on Youtube and the ad before the trailer was the trailer...so I just watched it twice...

KillAlot V2
03-30-2013, 12:55 PM
im really shocked that this games basicaly had no marketing and its flown under the raidar till 2 weeks before its out the people in charge need to fire who ever has been marketing it

Brezick
03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
I saw their commercial on TV three times last night on TNT, USA and SyFy.

JerZey CJ
03-30-2013, 01:17 PM
I've seen commercials for it on Syfy, which is a given, but I saw one on another channel(forget which), Gamestop had a little poster for it in their store, I've seen a web ad for it, and it is on Gamestop's front page on their website now.

CharmCitysKing
03-30-2013, 02:00 PM
For such an amazing game im surprised of the lack of marketing. Every Gamestop around does not have enough pre-orders for a midnight launch. This game is a gem and most of my gamer friends never heard of it. Not everyone watchs syfy and thats where its advertised. Word of mouth will help this game sell but am I the only one that feels Trion dropped the ball on marketing for such an amazing game.

cause they put there money into the game and not marketing like COD. Black Ops 2 has millions put into marketing and look, the game is TRASH, but theres 10000000 players.... This game is gona take a while to build community cause they put next to nothing into marketing and the game is GREAT but no community...get what im saying??

Quipwicked
03-30-2013, 02:16 PM
TV show = Advertising, why do you think there's shortages of physical game copies..........clearly they don't expect the masses to flock to the game till after the TV series has aired for a few weeks. AKA they are short scaled for the game launch as the TV series to them will be the major advertising, opening the door to the masses. /thread

duction
03-30-2013, 02:20 PM
tv program isnt advertising.. if it was the only advert for the game then the only people that watch the channel would know about the game.. just aint logical... they just didnt want to spend so much money up front,

Daholic
03-30-2013, 02:22 PM
trust me, i just left a rpg that had virtually no marketting and still had over 200000 players. If gameplay is awesome, the word will get out, let the gameplay do the marketing for you

FantasyMeister
03-30-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm a gamer and sci-fi fan, but I never really watch TV (it's used for gaming) so any ads there just pass me by completely. Advertising in my circles (based in UK, member of Videogamer.com) has been pretty non-existent, I can't even remember how I heard about the game for the first time, I just remember it was on the 22nd March because that's when I signed up for the 3rd beta.

Until recently the only stuff on Videogamer.com about Defiance consisted of 10 screenshots and 3 videos, but to their credit I know other European-based gaming sites have been doing the occasional write up on the game.

So I did what I always do when I find a great game, love it to bits, and want others to hear about it, I start spreading the word. It's only a forum post, but it got at least one sale :)

Defiance: Everything You Wanted To Know (http://community.videogamer.com/forums/general_gaming/defiance_everything_you_wanted_to_know/)

Quipwicked
03-30-2013, 02:28 PM
tv program isnt advertising.. if it was the only advert for the game then the only people that watch the channel would know about the game.. just aint logical... they just didnt want to spend so much money up front,

OH, I must have missed it where i said "TV show IS THE ONLY ADVERTISING!". Oh thats right....... i didn't, read my post again thickness.

duction
03-30-2013, 02:30 PM
OH, I must have missed it where i said "TV show IS THE ONLY ADVERTISING!". Oh thats right....... i didn't, read my post again thickness.

cant see where you said it was advertised somwhere else

hybridsteel
03-30-2013, 02:31 PM
The game does need a bit more advertising but to have the official xbox mag say its a bit bland and so on the people who read their ******** as they rely on people giving them money for decent reviews will read their mag and not buy it because people religiously read that mag and dont buy certain games.

Rogue345
03-30-2013, 03:22 PM
It could rly use more marketing. The only reason i found the game was thanks to the ad on my manga website.

IIFatalshockII
03-30-2013, 03:38 PM
I prefer it this way. So many times you see a game with loads of advertising and when you buy it, it's poor. I prefer games that earn their reputations through review and word of mouth rather than buying publicity. Besides, Defiance will probably be a big hit with Syfy fans, and the game will get lots of advertising through that alone.