PDA

View Full Version : Game dev. tips how to make WEAPON MODDING more usable!

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Current weapon modding is TERRIBLE, with the separate weapon matrix page, where you have to go through your weapons one by one...

HOW WEAPON MODDING SHOULD WORK?

By hovering your mouse over a weapon OR a weapon mod slot of the weapon, it would show all the mods this weapon CAN fit. If the mod is already equipped on some weapon, it would state that on the tooltip, but would allow you to swap it with one single click. Hovering mouse on WEAPON would show ALL the mods it can fit, and hovering over a mod slot would naturally show only the mods that can fit that slot.

There's NO better way of implementing this.

-Artifex 28 @ Soundcloud (http://www.soundcloud.com/Artifex28)

ironhands
03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
IIRC you can see what mod slots a weapon has on its icon, a small box/square.

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 10:12 AM
IIRC you can see what mod slots a weapon has on its icon, a small box/square.

Yes?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the points I made? :D

The issue is the usability/gameplay. Apple wouldn't approve software like this to their AppStore. :D

While you can see the mod TYPES that weapon can take easily, you cannot see which mods it can take with hover + click.

Instead of moving mouse over weapon + just selecting the mod of your choice(s), you have to:

1) Swap tab to modification matrix
2) Select weapon modification
3) Select weapon from inventory
4) Select add weapon mod
5) Presume you are carrying 15 different weapon mods and 7 guns - you will go through each single gun, to see if you can actually mod any of these.
6) The ones you DID mod -> you will not see the same mod (that is already in a weapon) available for the "next weapon" you are checking through

...worst usability since 1993.

VS my suggestion of:

1) Open inventory OR character sheet
2) Hover mouse over a weapon OR weapon mod slot and a popup MOD list appears
3) Select mod to equip

ironhands
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
I read you post as referring to the mod slots, and not the actual mod item.

The UI was designed with a controller in mind, not a mouse, so they wouldn't have setup any tooltip/hover options. This may change in future updates once the core issues, if any, are ironed out.

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I read you post as referring to the mod slots, and not the actual mod item.

The UI was designed with a controller in mind, not a mouse, so they wouldn't have setup any tooltip/hover options. This may change in future updates once the core issues, if any, are ironed out.

Are you serious? Read the topic.

Also, it cannot be that hard to change MOUSE HOVER = SELECTED ITEM (click right D-pad/arrow to jump to "weapon mod menus")

What is it with people defending the worst s*it imaginable? :D

Travie
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Ironhands is right. Your idea is nice, but it wouldn't work well on consoles.

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Ironhands is right. Your idea is nice, but it wouldn't work well on consoles.

Hilarious.

HOW can it be that hard to imagine MOUSE OVER = SELECTED ITEM?

Here's a picture to help, as it seems to be too hard for two guys you replied here! :D

http://i.imgur.com/4Y5lpg0.jpg

You have the PISTOL selected (left analog stick)

If you move LEFT analog stick down you jump to the weapon BELOW.
If you click RIGHT ANALOG STICK or DPAD/arrow you jump to the MOD list.

Naturally the MOD list doesn't have to jump ON the weapons, just a picture I drew in 7 seconds. There's certainly room to fit it in, with comparison etc on the screen at same time.

...doesn't work on consoles.

"Yeah, right."
-Sun Tzu, ages ago.

magenti
03-27-2013, 11:28 AM
UI in this game is big load of crap ))) mod solution is just small part of what they should fix )))

Jardian
03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
So you wish them to rebuild the whole Ui that works fine for the 3 major markets for apple...Next time please remember its puff puff pass not puff puff puff.

ANd 90% of you people complaing about things are items that got fixed months ago just wasnt int he beta we had.

ItISLupus
03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
I think you should be able to Select the mod slot you want to add. either at the same price or a slightly increased salvage cost. Also you should be able to add multiple mod slots at a time price is equivalent to the price of each separate job. This increases job time dependant on the number of slots

ironhands
03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Are you serious? Read the topic.

Also, it cannot be that hard to change MOUSE HOVER = SELECTED ITEM (click right D-pad/arrow to jump to "weapon mod menus")

What is it with people defending the worst s*it imaginable? :D

The topic says how to make it more usable. I thought you were saying you needed to go through the menu each time just to see which mod slots were available in the mod matrix. Wow, relax.

When did I say it was difficult, and when exactly did I defend the current system? See how misunderstandings can happen?

Again, the UI was designed for controller usage. You don't hover on things with a controller interface.

If you'll notice, I also said that this current interface system may change once any bigger problems are fixed.

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 11:43 AM
So you wish them to rebuild the whole Ui that works fine for the 3 major markets for apple...Next time please remember its puff puff pass not puff puff puff.

ANd 90% of you people complaing about things are items that got fixed months ago just wasnt int he beta we had.

Something does not work, so it should not be fixed? Current system is absolutely f*cked up.

The fact that the usability was even worse is a sad, sad excuse.

We all want the best gaming experience here. I presented a way to make the game better, simple as that. There's no denying that. :)

...or sure you can deny that, in a same way as you could say that electricity is bad, because bananas. Puff puff.

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Seems that the provocative way of discussion works - yet again. :)

ironhands
03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Hilarious.

HOW can it be that hard to imagine MOUSE OVER = SELECTED ITEM?

Here's a picture to help, as it seems to be too hard for two guys you replied here! :D

http://i.imgur.com/4Y5lpg0.jpg

You have the PISTOL selected (left analog stick)

If you move LEFT analog stick down you jump to the weapon BELOW.
If you click RIGHT ANALOG STICK or DPAD/arrow you jump to the MOD list.

Naturally the MOD list doesn't have to jump ON the weapons, just a picture I drew in 7 seconds. There's certainly room to fit it in, with comparison etc on the screen at same time.

...doesn't work on consoles.

"Yeah, right."
-Sun Tzu, ages ago.

What's hilarious, is that you don't seem to understand that nobody is disagreeing with you. I agree the UI needs to be improved for PC users.

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Seems that the provocative way of discussion works - yet again. :)

*points above*

Jardian
03-27-2013, 11:49 AM
I dont deny the UI we had was a POS. But you seem to think its as simple as you doing that POS drawing to do. Got bad news for ya it isnt.

Artifex 28
What's hilarious, is that you don't seem to understand that nobody is disagreeing with you. I agree the UI needs to be improved for PC users.

...as well as for consoles, if it currently works via matrix tab. The crafting tab can exist as it is, but what I am suggesting here is an extra feature.

ironhands
Something does not work, so it should not be fixed? Current system is absolutely f*cked up.

The fact that the usability was even worse is a sad, sad excuse.

We all want the best gaming experience here. I presented a way to make the game better, simple as that. There's no denying that. :)

...or sure you can deny that, in a same way as you could say that electricity is bad, because bananas. Puff puff.

Wow... You aren't even trying now. He said the UI works now. Just because it's difficult to navigate, doesn't mean that it doesn't work, it means it doesn't work as well as it could. What you're talking about is optimization. He has also said that the UI version you saw in beta might not have been the final version. For all you know they've spent the past week fixing it up.

Thanks for your suggestions.

ironhands
03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
*points above*

what are you on about now?

ironhands
03-27-2013, 11:51 AM
...as well as for consoles, if it currently works via matrix tab.

Wouldn't know, I haven't played on consoles, nor do I care to. Perhaps your post would be more beneficial in the beta feedback forums

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I dont deny the UI we had was a POS. But you seem to think its as simple as you doing that POS drawing to do. Got bad news for ya it isnt.

It's not hard.

It's actually the simplest part of the coding of a game.

But what the hell does it matter if it's easy or not?

It's vital that the usability as is high as possible.

Adding OPTION for "quick mod selection" isn't certainly something that shouldn't be done.

Artifex 28
03-27-2013, 11:53 AM
what are you on about now?

Read the above reply from it.

ironhands
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Read the above reply from it.

I did and I'm not clear what you were trying to say, unless you're saying throwing a fit gets you what you want.

Thorne25
03-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone,

We feel that this thread has degenerated into a non-constructive discussion, so we've closed it. Please remember to keep your comments respectful and constructive at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!