PDA

View Full Version : Did they add a hotkey yet to switch loadouts?

Scyris
07-13-2013, 04:23 PM
I am wondering did they ever finally add a hotkey to easly switch loadouts mid combat?

Remag Div
07-13-2013, 04:48 PM
No, and they won't because they don't want you switching on the whim like that.

crasher
07-13-2013, 04:57 PM
My take on it also.
If they wanted you to have more weapons at your quick reach/grab, they'd have given you 3 or 4 in a loadout, not just the 2.

Valethar
07-14-2013, 02:33 AM

My take on it also.

They actually came out early on and stated that as being the specific reason for not having this ability. They don't want you to be able to switch weapons/perks that quickly, especially in PvP. The current system means you have to put yourself at risk in order to swap loadouts, by stopping long enough to access the character screen and not being able to see what's going on during the process.

Myria
07-14-2013, 04:02 AM
They actually came out early on and stated that as being the specific reason for not having this ability. They don't want you to be able to switch weapons/perks that quickly, especially in PvP. The current system means you have to put yourself at risk in order to swap loadouts, by stopping long enough to access the character screen and not being able to see what's going on during the process.

This has actually never made any sense whatsoever to me. Given a half decent system and a little practice, swapping loadouts doesn't take enough time to be meaningful, it's just inconvenient. If you have cloak it's not even risky. What's the point?

In Trion's other game, Rift, a character can swap souls, gear, pretty much everything by pushing one button -- mind you, it's a Trinity-based game so that's a way bigger deal than a similar ability in Defiance. The thing is, there's a cast time and you have to be out of combat. That makes sense, if you want to limit the possibility of drastic character changes being abused. Making it mildly inconvenient? Yeah, not so much.

So frankly I don't really buy the whole line that there's no key for changing loadout because they don't want it to be easy to do, not when it is easy to do and there are so many better ways they could have placed a limitation on loadout swapping if they really thought that would be an issue.

Frankly I think it's just simply more UI laziness, nothing more or less.

Iroquois Pliskin
07-14-2013, 06:12 AM
I can switch the loadout with one button.
My mouse is a Razer Naga mmog (It is a gaming-mouse for mmo`s).
Itīs no cheat and no glitch... just an good hardware :cool:
Change the loadout costs only 0,5 sec this way.
My favourite is to make a roll and change at the same time.

I hope this help you for what you looking for.

Rasilon
07-14-2013, 05:39 PM
I can switch the loadout with one button.
My mouse is a Razer Naga mmog (It is a gaming-mouse for mmo`s).
Itīs no cheat and no glitch... just an good hardware :cool:
Change the loadout costs only 0,5 sec this way.
My favourite is to make a roll and change at the same time.

I hope this help you for what you looking for.

I have that mouse. How did you set that up?

Valethar
07-14-2013, 09:37 PM
In Trion's other game, Rift, a character can swap souls, gear, pretty much everything by pushing one button

Apples and oranges.

Rift is an RPG, Defiance is a shooter. Rift was designed mainly as a PvE game, Defiance was not.

This is the first shooter I've played in years. How many others allow instant gear changes in this fashion? Perhaps you could use those as examples to convince Trion to change their mind? All I know is what they stated early on, and that was that they didn't want us to be able to do so.

sarazeff
07-15-2013, 04:59 AM
I have been playing since alpha and never yet have i use'd the load out system never seen the point .
Once i got my fave set up never look'd back , just having fun :)

Conneri
07-15-2013, 07:29 AM
I have that mouse. How did you set that up?

It's against the ToS most likely and can get your account banned. Keyboard/Mouse macros of this nature that emulate multiple keys with a single press are specifically against the rules in most MMOs.

Sonickat
07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
It's against the ToS most likely and can get your account banned. Keyboard/Mouse macros of this nature that emulate multiple keys with a single press are specifically against the rules in most MMOs.

Actually this is a misconception. Speaking in generalities about most MMOs your allowed to use hardware macros otherwise people wouldn't be able to multibox. Keypress emulation is almost undetectable from the server side. What it boils down to is they basically only make it against the rules to do what they can police. That being playing autonomously via macros. As in walk away get a soda watch tv come back and be two levels higher because the macro was playing the game for you. Making a keyboard shortcut to execute X, Y, and then Z to swap loadouts as far as I know is not against the rules and I've never seen an official response to that end.

AxionXD
07-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Many similar MMO Shooters, you have to die before you can swap loadouts, so the fact that you can swap loadouts through a few seconds in the UI is a big difference. It shouldn't be as easy as switching a weapon.

Blondin
07-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Many similar MMO Shooters, you have to die before you can swap loadouts, so the fact that you can swap loadouts through a few seconds in the UI is a big difference. It shouldn't be as easy as switching a weapon.
Yeah, even more when you know that switching loadout, switch your perks too and not only weapons, so it will become a bit to "easy" if you can swith your perks in a second.

X64
07-16-2013, 02:03 AM

I think it's currently applicable to switch loadouts only in shadow wars and in the open world. You can't switch while fighting in pvp, can't even reselect perks.

Conneri
07-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Actually this is a misconception. Speaking in generalities about most MMOs your allowed to use hardware macros otherwise people wouldn't be able to multibox.
There is no misconception. I'll be use a very specific example of WoW. If you use any macro that emulates anything other than a single keypress, you are able to be banned as a bot. It's pretty easy to tell even without the user being dumb and using software emulation. In Blizzard's case, it's even worse as they have Warden which sits there and watches you play. One keypress must be a single keypress to a computer. If someone without the macro must make multiple keypresses for the one you are making, it's against the ToS. As for multiboxing, as far as Blizzard is concerned, how you hook your keyboard up doesn't matter. If you have a single keyboard hooked to 5 computers, that's fine, as long as each keypress only is sending out a single press to each individual box.

As for this game, considering they purposefully made it so this wasn't possible under normal play, you are going to get banned. As for tracking it, swapping loadouts goes to the server, so yeah, if you are swapping loadouts amazingly fast over and over again, you'll get nailed eventually.

Orbital
07-16-2013, 06:42 AM
The game is designed to be used on consoles, it is just playable on PC. I wish they would of had two entirely different releases, but that would of taken more effort. It would be different if we actually all played on the same servers.

Sonickat
07-16-2013, 02:17 PM
@Conneri

Source (http://steelseries.com/products/games/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-mmo-mouse-legendary-edition)

Here is the official SteelSeries mouse endorsed and licensed from Blizzard for WoW and it does have the functionality to implement custom macros. I question the logic of a company banning players for using programmable hardware, slapping their name on a product that is supposedly against the EULA.

As for this game, considering they purposefully made it so this wasn't possible under normal play, you are going to get banned.

If it was purposeful to prevent you from changing load outs in combat you would not be able to.

Using a hardware macro does not increase the speed at which you can change load outs. You have a minimum amount of time that you spend waiting for interface lag to keep up with key-presses. It varies enough on my rig that it's actually faster for me to navigate the load out change on my own rather than use my programmable device.

Rasilon
07-18-2013, 06:43 AM
I still want to know how to set it to one mouse button on my mmo mouse

Conneri
07-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Source (http://steelseries.com/products/games/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-mmo-mouse-legendary-edition)

Here is the official SteelSeries mouse endorsed and licensed from Blizzard for WoW and it does have the functionality to implement custom macros. I question the logic of a company banning players for using programmable hardware, slapping their name on a product that is supposedly against the EULA.
You can question it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that if you raid or pvp in any competitive form, you will get banned for it. It's happened in the past and will continue to happen. If it was allowed, the internal macro system would support it. It was specifically changed years ago to prevent it.

Using a hardware macro does not increase the speed at which you can change load outs. You have a minimum amount of time that you spend waiting for interface lag to keep up with key-presses. It varies enough on my rig that it's actually faster for me to navigate the load out change on my own rather than use my programmable device.
Your sample size is one point of data. Just because it's true for you, doesn't make it true for every other player across the world, much allow for server speeds that could change.

The point is, don't do it. Risking an account over something as trivial as this isn't worth the $60 and all your time invested in a toon.