PDA

View Full Version : How are microtransactions and player restrictions going to work?

Sludge
03-27-2013, 10:05 AM
I've preordered Defiance and I am not going to cancel, but when trying to convince friends to buy the game this question came up. Microtransactions are a part of life nowadays, but the Defiance model is not the most common one (buy up front, play for free). Most recently I can think of Guild Wars 2 doing the same sort of thing.

In Guild Wars 2 you don't have restrictions on the amount of currency you can hold, and your inventory and bank are not horribly crippled to a point where you really really need to buy expansions (CAN you buy expansions to GW2 inventory? I know you can with bank slots).

DCUO, on the other hand (which I'm using as an example because it's an MMO on PS3), offers you some bank and inventory space, but they both fill up pretty fast. You don't pay to play the game, but if you don't subscribe (or buy DLC) you lose out on a lot of features. Currency is locked for anything above repairing basically, you can't get higher tiers of equipment, and you can't participate in PvP.

I know Defiance will have DLC and/or a season's pass, but what about features out of the box? Will I be forced to spend money to spend my money, as it were? Will I be currency locked, inventory/bank restricted, or restricted in the number of skills I can take until I pay money to unlock more, or will microtransactions offer up only convenience things and fluff?

Vuule
03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
The stuff you buy with microtransactions might only speed up the progress of things. Such as Exp & Scrip boosts. You can also buy certain vehicles and outfits, but most of them can be aquired in the game itself. Buying them with real money might just mean you don't have to spend 5 hours doing a pursuit to unlock it.

They might let you buy inventory space with real money, but you'll aqcuire more than enough inventory space throughout the game itself. From what I've played in the Beta, I wasn't really in need of extra inventory space, until I decided to buy a ****ton mods, which I later sold again. Not to mention, with the Arkfall codes, you'll already get an extra 6 inventory slots, not to mention some of the pre-order DLCs that include extra inventory.

So in short. No, microtransactions aren't there to luck stuff out such as skills for example, they will just speed up things.

Daholic
03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I've preordered Defiance and I am not going to cancel, but when trying to convince friends to buy the game this question came up. Microtransactions are a part of life nowadays, but the Defiance model is not the most common one (buy up front, play for free). Most recently I can think of Guild Wars 2 doing the same sort of thing.

In Guild Wars 2 you don't have restrictions on the amount of currency you can hold, and your inventory and bank are not horribly crippled to a point where you really really need to buy expansions (CAN you buy expansions to GW2 inventory? I know you can with bank slots).

DCUO, on the other hand (which I'm using as an example because it's an MMO on PS3), offers you some bank and inventory space, but they both fill up pretty fast. You don't pay to play the game, but if you don't subscribe (or buy DLC) you lose out on a lot of features. Currency is locked for anything above repairing basically, you can't get higher tiers of equipment, and you can't participate in PvP.

I know Defiance will have DLC and/or a season's pass, but what about features out of the box? Will I be forced to spend money to spend my money, as it were? Will I be currency locked, inventory/bank restricted, or restricted in the number of skills I can take until I pay money to unlock more, or will microtransactions offer up only convenience things and fluff?

Nah everything will be much simpler than that. Unfortunate spending money doesnt give you any leg up, All skills and weapons will be available

ironhands
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
you'll only be carrying guns, shields, and mods in your inventory, so there really isn't much need for a bank space, or massive personal inventory increases. GW2 and DCUO all have a crafting system, so you'll need to bank components/parts. Since there's no crafting (yet) not much need.