PDA

View Full Version : 1 thing im worried about buying this on console....

Blueandwhite87
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
so i hear sony and microsoft charge I hear around 10-40 thousand dollars per patch well after playing many mmo's they need patched like crazy so we going to get less patches less hotfixes, less content etc? what you guys think?

Defy
03-27-2013, 10:30 AM
well since its an MMO some of the stuff is on Trion's servers so not everything has to be patched

ironhands
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
I think they may have worked out something for this, but yeah, you might get fewer patches compared to PC, but the patches you do get would be larger, and there'd be less "patching the patch" type problems as a result.

As for content updates, you should be getting the same content as PC no matter what.

Jardian
03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
so i hear sony and microsoft charge I hear around 10-40 thousand dollars per patch well after playing many mmo's they need patched like crazy so we going to get less patches less hotfixes, less content etc? what you guys think?

10-40 thousand dollars eh,. This was a fail troll post from the start but I shall answer it like you just have no clue.

Patchs never cost anything That from someone who has played MMO's with PS2 and PS3 and Xbox. DLC now that is a diffrent matter depending on how much it adds.

RelativeBlue
03-27-2013, 11:29 AM
10-40 thousand dollars eh,. This was a fail troll post from the start but I shall answer it like you just have no clue.

Patchs never cost anything That from someone who has played MMO's with PS2 and PS3 and Xbox. DLC now that is a diffrent matter depending on how much it adds.

I think perhaps the OP is talking about a cost to the developer from Microsoft. Obviously the OP didn't expect a 10-40k$ to subscribers.

Kroesis
03-27-2013, 11:30 AM

You do realise he was talking about the cost to developers for putting out a patch not the cost to us. Not sure about Sony but iirc MS give a developer a grace patch for day one if required and then charges for each subsequent patch.
As far as I'm aware, Minecraft (on the 360) at least has had several updates so I perhaps MS are negotiating the terms on some games.

Blueandwhite87
03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
yea i was talking about how much the devs need to pay sony or microsoft for each patch..

ironhands
03-27-2013, 11:32 AM

might wanna check your facts:
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/02/16/microsofts-40000-per-xbox-patch-explains-why-updates-are-slow-to-roll-out/

ironhands
03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
You do realise he was talking about the cost to developers for putting out a patch not the cost to us. Not sure about Sony but iirc MS give a developer a grace patch for day one if required and then charges for each subsequent patch.
As far as I'm aware, Minecraft (on the 360) at least has had several updates so I perhaps MS are negotiating the terms on some games.

I did hear that there are some deals in place for MMO type games where things need to be changed on the fly. Mass Effect 3 I think was a good example.

TechGnome
03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
It's no different than what Apple does with their AppStore or Google does in the Play Store... and for games that are hosted at MS & S, that have to have their bits updated to fix things, yeah, you don't want to be having to do that several times a day... so you charge a premium for it... but it should only affect the downloadable bits... which should be minimal. The rest of it is all on the Trion servers, and that's something they can just patch & go. So that's the only time there should be a difference in the platforms... when the patch affected PC/console side bits.

-tg

Jardian
03-27-2013, 11:40 AM
You people got some strange ideas . I have seen MMO's at sony patch 3 times a week or more the running norm is about once a week - every two weeks.

As for Xbox that is the normal title quote not the MMO.

Kroesis
03-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Which mmo's?

ironhands
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
You people got some strange ideas . I have seen MMO's at sony patch 3 times a week or more the running norm is about once a week - every two weeks.

Again, there may be some special agreements for some titles, or a bulk rate or something. Sony has had more MMO type titles than xbox

Dixa
03-27-2013, 01:17 PM

that's sony.

this game is on all three major platforms. they are not going to patch pc and ps3 and not patch 360 at the same time.

think about it. you'll figure it out.

ironhands
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
true, but the *might* patch PC and delay the console patches. That's not uncommon for other cross-platform games that aren't MMOs. Often the PC serves as the testing grounds for console patch

Rampermt
03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
I would think they would be able to do more of the patches on the server side.

ironhands
03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
I would think they would be able to do more of the patches on the server side.

depends on what's being patched, of course. Server side can fix AI, possibly correct lag/connectivity problems, communication protocol issues, and hopefully fix quest bugs. It wouldn't be able to fix UI issues, map/level holes, and graphic issues. Really depends on the problem and the stability of the main client engine. that's the nice thing about an MMO, is that all of the math, dmg, balancing, location, is all calculated remotely. the client is really just a glorified web browser in many cases :P

Rampermt
03-27-2013, 01:49 PM
depends on what's being patched, of course. Server side can fix AI, possibly correct lag/connectivity problems, communication protocol issues, and hopefully fix quest bugs. It wouldn't be able to fix UI issues, map/level holes, and graphic issues. Really depends on the problem and the stability of the main client engine. that's the nice thing about an MMO, is that all of the math, dmg, balancing, location, is all calculated remotely. the client is really just a glorified web browser in many cases :P

Thanks for the information.

Vuule
03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
It has already been said that Trion doesn't have to go through Sony's and Microsoft's their certification with patches :)

D Knight X91
03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Well from what I saw in the beta, they weren't using the MS or Sony pacthing systems. If you read the files on the Xbox or PS3 HDDs you see a pacth file. Also it had the one srceem that always pop up saying it was pacthing something. If it was a MS or Sony put pacth it would should the dashbored for the console your using and temp put you from the game to patch it and put that file there which it never did, so they are sending patchs to the systems. So they mite have worked around the whole MS and Sony patch tools.

iBallsoHard
03-27-2013, 02:35 PM
So this brings up a question for me!!.. so would updates be in these patches!?.. or do we have to wait months before they add new content!?. And not dlc big content but like little things that will turn his into more mmo!?

D Knight X91
03-27-2013, 03:55 PM
So this brings up a question for me!!.. so would updates be in these patches!?.. or do we have to wait months before they add new content!?. And not dlc big content but like little things that will turn his into more mmo!?

Updates = Patches. I wouldn't think we would have to wait to long they mite just launch all patches at the same time, but we mite get different bug fixes for it but that should be it.

Major Nelson
03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Microsoft worked out a deal with trion and trion can push out patches whenever because they dont have to go through certification any more which inturn will allow many more updates and items and such added to the game

Kroesis
03-27-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm probably a bit sad but I always loved waiting for updates to drop... I hope they'll release patch notes before each one, I like knowing what's going to be fixed/added/nerfed before it happens. It'd also give the community a chance to voice their opinions (for better or worse) on the intended plan..

Hoffman
03-27-2013, 04:12 PM

You need to get yourself informed before running your mouth, laddie.

thejx4
03-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Patches are server-side, hosted by Trion, IIRC. I think the only time there will be a title/game update, is when there's new DLC. Paid and free.

Mindfix
03-27-2013, 04:42 PM

A Dev already answered this, there is no fee for patching and they will not need to go through the cert for patching i will search for the thread but yes this was already confirmed on the forums.