PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't there more sci-fi type weapons?

Tilarta
07-14-2013, 04:07 PM
I've been looking at most of the weapons ingame for a while now.

And the majority of them look like patched together improvised designs like is used in Fallout.

I can only recall one gun that actually looked like a real weapon, but I had to discard it because it's damage rating was below what I had already.
It was the gun you get from Nolan at the end of the gem mission chain.

I was hoping in a sci-fi game, there would be more weapons that actually looked like they were from other planets.

Something like this:
Geth Pulse Rifle (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Geth_Pulse_Rifle)

Failing that, some proper military hardware, not weapons that look like someone made them out of junkyard parts.

Orbital
07-14-2013, 04:29 PM
The VOT (Votan) weapons are the more advanced alien technology. Well they are supposed to be more advanced anyways. I'm interested to see how the charge weapons turn out. Nolan's weapon is just a VBI Assault Rifle with a longer barrel.

SaneFail
07-14-2013, 05:43 PM
That's kinda the premise of the game, being post apocalyptic (terraforming). And the reason we, as Arkhunters, do what we do. Find Arktech to sell (not going into how poorly this fact is implemented in the game) to people for research into said advanced "sci if" stuff.

Blondin
07-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Some sci-fi example, there is more :

http://www.primagames.com/media/images/news/Spread_Rocket_Launcher_jpg_436x242_crop_upscale_q8 5.jpg
http://defiance.junkiesnation.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/03/Defiance-Infector.png
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/screenshots/7281/7281054_pcDEFIA_012_ss.jpg
http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/defiance-weapons-trailer.jpg
http://www.defiancedata.com/images/uploads/300.jpg

Concept art of future weapons :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p480x480/970044_673540949326617_1855751003_n.jpg

ralisti
07-14-2013, 06:32 PM
I honestly believe that the planning stages of Defiance consisted of trying to take good things about many many other games, and trying to force it through a compiler to see what comes out the other end.

They put in so little thought of the back story that it consists of nothing but a time line on an obscure page of the site.

They made every race in the game (all 2 of them) exactly the same other than appearance, and I believe this is to continue with new races, making 'new' races little more than a new texture on a humanoid model.

The supposedly most advanced weapons (the Voltan) are good for little more than emptying your ammo reserves.

Basically they just hobbled together other people ideas with shoddy code, released the little bit they could actually get to work, and have spent 4 months working on that minimal released to iron out the bugs they released with, and have little success with that.

But then again, this is Trion Defiance, what does anyone honestly expect them to accomplish any more. I know that almost every company I have worked for, a team that failed this hard would not just be fired but would actually get negative reviews on reference checks.

noladude
07-14-2013, 06:44 PM
The VOT (Votan) weapons are the more advanced alien technology. Well they are supposed to be more advanced anyways.

Yet they still use earth bullets.....and they suck. I'll take a flamethrower and a jetpack though.

Tilarta
07-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Now that concept art, that's more like what I want!

But from my experience in other mmos, it'll be grindyourlifeaway elite store vendor stuff.

thejx4
07-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Laser All the Things

We need lasers.

Krauser
07-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Infectors are about the most Sci-Fi weapon in this game. I don't know why we can't get mods that do stuff like the Resistance: FoM guns. Bullseye tags that send every round from that magazine to whatever you tag, rounds that ricochet off walls, rounds that pass through solid matter and build damage as they pass through things until they hit something biological, that kind of stuff.

fang1192
07-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Now that concept art, that's more like what I want!

But from my experience in other mmos, it'll be grindyourlifeaway elite store vendor stuff.

You really dont pay attention to the drop or store system in this game, do you?

Escyos
07-14-2013, 07:59 PM
They put in so little thought of the back story that it consists of nothing but a time line on an obscure page of the site.

Oh, good joke!

Unless your serious? In which case you are dead wrong, they created massive amounts of story that put many other scifi shows to shame - cultural backgrounds, language evolution, technology, musical growth, resource production, etc. Many things that other shows simply do not touch from the beginning.

Just because we've only seen a little bit of it does not mean that it does not exist.

Daholic
07-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Oh, good joke!

Unless your serious? In which case you are dead wrong, they created massive amounts of story that put many other scifi shows to shame - cultural backgrounds, language evolution, technology, musical growth, resource production, etc. Many things that other shows simply do not touch from the beginning.

Just because we've only seen a little bit of it does not mean that it does not exist.

We are still talking about Defiance right???

Tilarta
07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
You really dont pay attention to the drop or store system in this game, do you?

Drops=vendor trash.
I only got a few items I kept, the rest were useless.

And as for the Store System, sorry, you don't have enough Vendor Loyalty, so you can't buy anything from us.

And that is why I ignore both systems!

fang1192
07-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Drops=vendor trash.

And as for the Store System, sorry, you don't have enough Vendor Loyalty, so you can't buy anything from us.

That's irrelevant. White is functionally the same as an orange. There is no epic tier only weapon. You can bet your *** there will be a white charge blade, a white charge rifle, a white charge shotgun, etc...

ralisti
07-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Oh, good joke!

IF they have that much back story, then it might as well not exist until the release it.

They jumped right into the show with no explanation as to what is going on. The game is not Star Wars, with decades of back story to back it up. The show and game constantly refer to things like people are supposed to inherently know what they are talking about.

Sure they MIGHT later on explain it, but until then it is like you are the outsider of an inside joke. There feels there is something missing from the story. It is like they do not think of explaining something until people point out that there is a history hole.

Krauser
07-14-2013, 08:35 PM
That's irrelevant. White is functionally the same as an orange. There is no epic tier only weapon. You can bet your *** there will be a white charge blade, a white charge rifle, a white charge shotgun, etc...

Well I would hope so. It's near impossible to get oranges as it is.

Krauser
07-14-2013, 08:40 PM
IF they have that much back story, then it might as well not exist until the release it.

They jumped right into the show with no explanation as to what is going on. The game is not Star Wars, with decades of back story to back it up. The show and game constantly refer to things like people are supposed to inherently know what they are talking about.

Sure they MIGHT later on explain it, but until then it is like you are the outsider of an inside joke. There feels there is something missing from the story. It is like they do not think of explaining something until people point out that there is a history hole.

This may sound stupid, but have you been listening to the data recorders? That's how I knew what they were talking about with the massacre Nolan was involved in that got brought up on the show. There's been a lot of back story that comes out in bits and pieces from data recorders.

ChaosOneX
07-14-2013, 08:43 PM
That's kinda the premise of the game, being post apocalyptic (terraforming). And the reason we, as Arkhunters, do what we do. Find Arktech to sell (not going into how poorly this fact is implemented in the game) to people for research into said advanced "sci if" stuff.

Defiance isn't post apocalyptic.

brandileigh
07-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Defiance isn't post apocalyptic.

Oh I'd say it is, post apocalyptic fiction includes worlds that have suffered things like massive climate change, alien attack, etc. Defiance is definitely after such an event.

ChaosOneX
07-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Oh I'd say it is, post apocalyptic fiction includes worlds that have suffered things like massive climate change, alien attack, etc. Defiance is definitely after such an event.

Defiance is Dystopian, but not Post-Apocalyptic.

We weren't knocked to the middle ages, technology is still progressing, commodities are still produced.

Technically, not post-apocalyptic.

A s0t
07-14-2013, 09:45 PM
blame it on the plasma pulsar
why is a rocket launcher less powerful than a wolfhound?

fang1192
07-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Well I would hope so. It's near impossible to get oranges as it is.

http://youtu.be/4HeRMPo08yU?t=6m28s

Press pause quickly and you can see when he goes into the inventory that one weapon is green, and the other is white - both of them are charge weapons not in the game yet.

Colif
07-14-2013, 10:34 PM
When I first started playing I saw people firing what was probably electric or syphon nanos and thought they were laser weapons.. I assumed BMG were Beam weapons (not knowing what BMG actually stood for until later). I figured they would be upgrades later, sadly disappointed. No laser weapons seems odd considering we are developing them now.

SaneFail
07-15-2013, 03:24 AM

We weren't knocked to the middle ages, technology is still progressing, commodities are still produced.

Dystopian is too big a word for most people. I'd be concerned they'd think I was talking about dinosaurs. So I try and keep it simple for the forums :-)

Lollie
07-15-2013, 03:31 AM

Better edit the wiki on Post-Apocalypse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction) then, Defiance is listed in there (under "Aliens").

Post-Apocalyptic scenarios just refer to civilisation after a cataclysmic event of some sort, and do not require a reversal of technical knowledge. They just usually have this sort of chaos for dramatic effect.

ChaosOneX
07-15-2013, 05:09 AM
Better edit the wiki on Post-Apocalypse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction) then, Defiance is listed in there (under "Aliens").

Post-Apocalyptic scenarios just refer to civilisation after a cataclysmic event of some sort, and do not require a reversal of technical knowledge. They just usually have this sort of chaos for dramatic effect.

Wikiepedia is ok for general information, but it's not entirely credible.

According to the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction (Because any actual dictionary doesn't have a definition that doesn't involve the bible)

Post-Apocalyptic is any story following an event that has lead to cultural or regression, or destroyed all sense of culture and civilization completely. Defiance has several important parts in the backstory that keep it from being Post-Apocalyptic.

TL;DR version, Wikipedia is wrong, but it happens more often than you'd think.

ChaosOneX
07-15-2013, 05:11 AM
Dystopian is too big a word for most people. I'd be concerned they'd think I was talking about dinosaurs. So I try and keep it simple for the forums :-)

I can see the wisdom in that.

Myself, I'm just here checking for updates on DLC and annoying people in the forums. I havent played in at least a month.

The apparant ineptitiude from the design team just ticks me off to no end, and I really doubt if it isn't a request for a trade hub, a city, or a clan base, that the Devs aren't looking at it in the Suggestions forum.

Lollie
07-15-2013, 05:21 AM
Wikiepedia is ok for general information, but it's not entirely credible.

According to the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction (Because any actual dictionary doesn't have a definition that doesn't involve the bible)

Post-Apocalyptic is any story following an event that has lead to cultural or regression, or destroyed all sense of culture and civilization completely. Defiance has several important parts in the backstory that keep it from being Post-Apocalyptic.

TL;DR version, Wikipedia is wrong, but it happens more often than you'd think.

That's just a rule of thumb definition. That would be like calling Fallout not post apocalyptic. There's a collapse, but not a total collapse (Fallout doesn't have complete regression, people have knowledge and can still make things).

Things that are Post-Apocalypse just need to be set after a cataclysmic event. Dystopian is more defined, and requires a controlling government (which Defiance arguably has, just not everywhere...there seem to be settlements free of this, and the control isn't absolute, in fact there are many groups fighting for control - which is more like the old post-apoc/survival and struggle story).

Click for definitions (http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/01/dystopian-vs-post-apocalyptic.html).

Kibblehouse
07-15-2013, 07:55 AM
I want my Railgun/Gauss Rifle.

As far as why there isn't more in the show. Looks like A.) alot of Votan tech was simmilar to Earthtech (projectile weapons). And B.) theres hints of more nastiness which was either used up or banned/restricted after the Pale Wars (mention of oxygen bombs vs the liberata, Coldfire weapons) There is room for more to be introduced later, if say Von Bach starts mass producing Dark Matter or Volge knock-offs. Or mabye if they introduce the Votan equivalent of E-Rep.

IMHO

ChaosOneX
07-15-2013, 08:34 AM
That's just a rule of thumb definition. That would be like calling Fallout not post apocalyptic. There's a collapse, but not a total collapse (Fallout doesn't have complete regression, people have knowledge and can still make things).

Things that are Post-Apocalypse just need to be set after a cataclysmic event. Dystopian is more defined, and requires a controlling government (which Defiance arguably has, just not everywhere...there seem to be settlements free of this, and the control isn't absolute, in fact there are many groups fighting for control - which is more like the old post-apoc/survival and struggle story).

Click for definitions (http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/01/dystopian-vs-post-apocalyptic.html).

Defiance really has always felt more like a post war story than anything else. I mean, the world has more in common with stories of rebuilding after WWII than Mad Max.

The whole terraforming thing feels like a minimal feature to the story, a reason to change the way things look and add new plants and creatures without having to logically explain introducing new things to a biosphere in a controlled setting.

I take post-apoc stories seriously, its a genre I love and write myself. Defiance just doesn't fit in well with the collections of classics. Rage and Fallout 3 did, but borderlands did not. (Which is funny because Borderlands actually advertised itself as being post apocalyptic)

ChaosOneX
07-15-2013, 08:35 AM
I want my Railgun/Gauss Rifle.

As far as why there isn't more in the show. Looks like A.) alot of Votan tech was simmilar to Earthtech (projectile weapons). And B.) theres hints of more nastiness which was either used up or banned/restricted after the Pale Wars (mention of oxygen bombs vs the liberata, Coldfire weapons) There is room for more to be introduced later, if say Von Bach starts mass producing Dark Matter or Volge knock-offs. Or mabye if they introduce the Votan equivalent of E-Rep.

IMHO

For all the aliens i keep seeing, the lack of alien guns is... disconcerting...

AxionXD
07-15-2013, 10:28 AM

While I am willing to catalog Defiance as Dystopian, the truer nature of Dystopia is the opposite of a Utopia. Usually demonstrated from movies like Equilibrium, there a society is seen as the new Utopia, but in reality, it's only Utopia for an elite upper class. Movies like The Postman is a good example of both a Dystopia and Post-Apocalyptic. It had a new societal order lead by that Army faction, creating a Dystopia feel while it was most definitely Post-Apocalyptic in that it happened after a major catastrophic event.

I would put Defiance closer to Post-Apocalyptic then I would Dystopia. But with the new season of Defiance having a major conflict between Earth Republic, it will start showing more Dystopian story line as the E-Rep would be the new societal order that may have an illusion of harmony but is really destructive to the non-privilege class.

ten4
07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
I am going to say the opposite: why is there no modern day RL weapons in this game?

Why? Cus the show has lots of RL weapons yet in the game we get all these lame looking alien guns that resemble Tonka toys.

thejx4
07-15-2013, 03:22 PM
An apocalyptic event usually involves putting the planet in danger and a lot of people being wiped out. That's not the case here.

Honestly, the whole setting doesn't even make sense. lol, we're magically all farmers again because the earth got terraformed? I hate the whole "New Frontier" thing as it holds back the potential of the game. When I think of sci-fi, I think of environments like Warframe or something like that. Not a green-brown, alien plant infested Red Dead Redemption.

Lollie
07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
An apocalyptic event usually involves putting the planet in danger and a lot of people being wiped out. That's not the case here.

I'll let the plot synopsis clear this up for you:

From IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2189221/synopsis?ref_=tt_ov_pl) -

The series is set in the near future, where aliens known collectively as Votans have come to Earth seeking a new home after their solar system was destroyed. However, when they reached Earth, they discovered despite a prolonged negotiation with the government on Earth, they were not welcome. Rather than turn away, they began a war with the humans as they are determined to make Earth their new home. During the war, the Votans dropped terraformers on the planet and transformed the surface; scorching the earth, opening chasms in the ground and covering the surface of the planet in dust and debris. After decades of war, a ceasefire is declared when both sides realise they must focus on survival on this new almost alien planet.

And from the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_%28TV_series%29) -

Set in a near-future where Earth has been radically reformed to cause changes in topography, the extinction of plant and animal species, and the emergence of new species, the series follows a Human drifter and his adopted Irathient daughter putting down roots in Defiance, a city-state community where humans and several extraterrestrial races collectively known as Votans coexist in the ruins of St. Louis.

From the official website (http://defiancenews.tumblr.com/post/46446350826/adjusting-to-life-on-new-earth) -

Arkfall. No event in human history has come close to matching the utter devastation that’s been left in its wake. Billions of souls lost, entire cities erased, strange plant and animal life infesting our once beautiful planet. Yet here we are, not even six months later, bravely picking up the pieces. We’ve all lost something. But in the process of starting over, we all have to ask ourselves: What does terraforming mean to me?

This ticks the boxes (http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/01/dystopian-vs-post-apocalyptic.html) for post-apoc.

Post-apocalyptic stories take place after a disaster that has devastated the world or region the character lives in. The character has survived the catastrophe, but other humans did not. The protagonists focus is primarily survival.

thejx4
07-15-2013, 08:35 PM
I'll let the plot synopsis clear this up for you:

From IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2189221/synopsis?ref_=tt_ov_pl) -

And from the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_%28TV_series%29) -

From the official website (http://defiancenews.tumblr.com/post/46446350826/adjusting-to-life-on-new-earth) -

This ticks the boxes (http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/01/dystopian-vs-post-apocalyptic.html) for post-apoc.

How much of that is told in-game? lol

Phuccko
07-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Drops=ARK SALAVAGE

There I fixed it for you =P

Demondred
07-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Laser All the Things
We need lasers.

This man needs a medal. Can we order one in bronze? If not, a copper-plated nickel compound should suffice.

The closest thing to lasers we have is that LMG with perfect accuracy.

X64
07-16-2013, 12:00 AM
In the Year 2046, people are still:

1. having trouble reloading handguns fast.
2. Create rage by having SMGs, LMGs and ARs to share the same ammo and mods.
3. cannot individually attach or remove mods.

X64
07-16-2013, 12:03 AM
1. Vaporizer.
2. Gauss Rifle
3. Blue Flame launcher
4. Pacific Rim! (Oh yeah let's do coop missions with bad-*** robots operated by 2-3 persons!)

Demondred
07-16-2013, 12:05 AM
In the Year 2046, people are still:

1. having trouble reloading handguns fast.
2. Create rage by having SMGs, LMGs and ARs to share the same ammo and mods.
3. cannot individually attach or remove mods.

4. using lightsabers and thinking they're cool.

dbcameron
07-16-2013, 12:23 AM
1. Vaporizer.
2. Gauss Rifle
3. Blue Flame launcher
4. Pacific Rim! (Oh yeah let's do coop missions with bad-*** robots operated by 2-3 persons!)

That would be epic.