PDA

View Full Version : Taking short cuts in co-op games.

Iceberg
07-14-2013, 07:08 PM
So recently I have been playing Island of lost soldiers, and the last section before you open the gate to get to the matron, I tend to just run over the fire grass to the extract point. Other players tend to just fight with the 99ers and the hell bugs while I am waiting there patiently waiting for them to hurry up. Do some of you consider this behavior of taking short cuts like this one rude or not?

Heinzlee
07-14-2013, 07:38 PM
the key word you used is patiently.
no problems. maybe you had items to break down. who cares.
you waited for the others.

KTCAOP
07-14-2013, 07:56 PM
If you want to take the short cut you can, it slightly irks me if I die a lot, but that'll be my fault more than anything else since it is possible to basically solo through these coop maps =P.

ironcladtrash
07-14-2013, 09:11 PM
The first couple of times I did that map maybe it might have been rude. However after doing the map for the hundredth some time, anything to speed it up is welcome. I just want to finish and get my reward. I get mad when I have to watch the cutscenes when not every one skipped. However with all the new players I can't be upset when they don't want to skip or take shortcuts when they haven't done it as often as I have.

Ashlocke
07-14-2013, 10:34 PM
you waited for the others.

Instead of helping them.

Edit:
My initial reply sounded rather terse, apologies.
To elaborate, if as you want to do a speedy run, then not helping them makes them slower than if you were helping them.

So if you want a speedier run, helping them would make it go that much quicker.

Hannova
07-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Why not just go afk for ten minutes after zoning in, then catch up to them? I know I find everything before the last fight rather tedious to have to do, after having done it so many times before. I'm patient enough to wait for them to clear everything out for me, and I won't even ask them to hurry up. I'm actually doing them a favor, since they'll get more weapon xp this way.

SymbolicGamer
07-15-2013, 12:11 AM
If I'm the leader and I see people lagging behind I tell them they have 3 minutes to get to me before I kick them. I hate dead weight. It's always the guys that don't skip any cutscenes, and are trailing behind because they must stop to kill every damn little hellbug that spawns who take the long way too.

Dracian
07-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Personally, I don't care, you can take all the shortcuts you want... As long as you skip cinematics, I'm fine :)

Wtflag
07-15-2013, 01:48 AM
If you want to miss out on the blue item on the elite black lung ... it is up to you. Just know that it actually takes longer without your help. But I guess you could do your salvage to gain back some time.

I personally always leave no survivors.

GiantInMaine
07-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Maybe it's just me but I like to kill the last grenade launcher guy that always drops something instead of jumping down the hill only adds like 2 minutes onto the total time.

Edit: The blacklung.

NIKOLA
07-15-2013, 04:06 AM
So recently I have been playing Island of lost soldiers, and the last section before you open the gate to get to the matron, I tend to just run over the fire grass to the extract point. Other players tend to just fight with the 99ers and the hell bugs while I am waiting there patiently waiting for them to hurry up. Do some of you consider this behavior of taking short cuts like this one rude or not?

I've kicked scrubs out of the instance for less.

squidgod2000
07-15-2013, 05:29 AM
The part you're forgetting is where the three people you're with all die in the grass.

Iceberg
07-15-2013, 06:39 AM
The part you're forgetting is where the three people you're with all die in the grass.

Well there is a self revive for a reason.

Typically I don't like people who just stand around at the start of the instance waiting for everyone else to do all the work until the end, then they magically wake up and head to the boss fight. I am more or less talking about helping with fighting enemies until there is a point on the map you can take a quicker route to head to the boss fight.

I agree about the cut scenes, making the game skip it on the clients end without needing to wait for everyone else to hit ESC would be a nice welcome, so that the player gets a 20 second head start is not going to kill the rest of the instance for the new players.

3rdpig
07-15-2013, 10:42 AM
If you're so desperate to speed it up that you're willing to piss off the other 3 players, why run it in the first place? Minor arkfalls now provide 3 keycodes, weapon experience and item drops, so if that's what you're after just skip the coop maps and do the minors.

crasher
07-15-2013, 11:06 AM
If you're so desperate to speed it up that you're willing to piss off the other 3 players, why run it in the first place? Minor arkfalls now provide 3 keycodes, weapon experience and item drops, so if that's what you're after just skip the coop maps and do the minors.
Or he could just make a group of people who all agree to skip the cutscenes and take all the shortcuts, and then join the coop as a group.
It's OK to do coops with people who are in on the plan before you start the mission.

BONNY
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
i boot the guys from the game who take the short cut, even if its all 3 off them

MCchum
07-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Well there is a self revive for a reason.

Typically I don't like people who just stand around at the start of the instance waiting for everyone else to do all the work until the end, then they magically wake up and head to the boss fight. I am more or less talking about helping with fighting enemies until there is a point on the map you can take a quicker route to head to the boss fight.

I agree about the cut scenes, making the game skip it on the clients end without needing to wait for everyone else to hit ESC would be a nice welcome, so that the player gets a 20 second head start is not going to kill the rest of the instance for the new players.

WOW , u remind me of those ppl who drop on a co-op and get their 20 kills and then leave . then 1 or 2 more drop in and because is no more bad guys or whatever they then leave ..
I did a co-op of explosion lastnite and was the only person to finish it . yet the list at the end had a total of 10 ppl who wanted their 20 kills and then leave .. heck if u drop on a co-op the least u can do is finish it
on the previous time I tried explosions I got in the co-op and was no enemy or players so I ran all the way thru to find 1 player standing where enter to decuso was and he was waiting for help . yet after finishing that game was like 20 names of players in that drop .
Seems is more and more ppl who drop on a co-op and get their requirement and leave .

why don't u just post ur the Greatest and don't have to wait for anyone and what u do is ok and the hell with u if u don't like it ..

Sonickat
07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I've only been playing for a month. How do you kick someone from the group in a co-op?

Ashlocke
07-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Be the team leader then fumble through the clunky UI clicking stuff until you start seeing people getting kicked.
I'm not being as sarcastic as it appears...

Iceberg
07-15-2013, 01:34 PM
WOW , u remind me of those ppl who drop on a co-op and get their 20 kills and then leave . then 1 or 2 more drop in and because is no more bad guys or whatever they then leave ..
I did a co-op of explosion lastnite and was the only person to finish it . yet the list at the end had a total of 10 ppl who wanted their 20 kills and then leave .. heck if u drop on a co-op the least u can do is finish it
on the previous time I tried explosions I got in the co-op and was no enemy or players so I ran all the way thru to find 1 player standing where enter to decuso was and he was waiting for help . yet after finishing that game was like 20 names of players in that drop .
Seems is more and more ppl who drop on a co-op and get their requirement and leave .

why don't u just post ur the Greatest and don't have to wait for anyone and what u do is ok and the hell with u if u don't like it ..

Whats wrong with being efficient with doing contracts like that? If I could I would run the instance solo and not have to put up with other people slowing me down. I guess you think its wrong to tag ark falls too.

KTCAOP
07-15-2013, 02:20 PM
I do dislike the whole idea of tagging Arkfalls to be honest. As a newish player when I started in the Coops, I had a lot of people dropping on me. People joined, left, joined left, until I was able to fumble my way to the boss, they stayed then to kill it, thankfully...

Ozzy
07-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Not cool in a PUG unless you explain how the rest of the group gets down there too, but in clan co-op it's up to you. There should be more shortcuts or some re-design on Island of Lost Soldiers though, cause it's pretty damn boring.

NinjaofSmoke
07-15-2013, 03:42 PM
On Scrapworks Salvage there is a way where you can get outside the map while others are down there fighting for there lives and eventually make your way to the last part. But all of this is of course only obtained once you've reach the Progenitor core and passed the first gate. I've done so a few times to break things down when I'm filled up on items and everyone eventually catches up to see me dancing there, (I probably left to go make a sandwich or something while the made their way to me and watch the cut-scene. As for Island of the Lost, done that trick before with Blur and a BMG to keep healing myself.

I say shortcuts are for those who needs to step away for a bit or break things down, but you still want to participate in the long run. No shame in short cutting the game.

crasher
07-15-2013, 08:21 PM
On Scrapworks Salvage there is a way where you can get outside the map while others are down there fighting for there lives and eventually make your way to the last part. But all of this is of course only obtained once you've reach the Progenitor core and passed the first gate. I've done so a few times to break things down when I'm filled up on items and everyone eventually catches up to see me dancing there, (I probably left to go make a sandwich or something while the made their way to me and watch the cut-scene. As for Island of the Lost, done that trick before with Blur and a BMG to keep healing myself.

I say shortcuts are for those who needs to step away for a bit or break things down, but you still want to participate in the long run. No shame in short cutting the game.

If you make that plain spoken agreement to the people you're grouped with BEFORE you join the coop, great, no probs.

If you pull that crap on me when I'm group leader, you're out, and I dont want to play near you again.

Co-ops are co-operatives, not 'Me-First, Scr*w-You's.

Nadar
07-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Whats wrong with being efficient with doing contracts like that? If I could I would run the instance solo and not have to put up with other people slowing me down. I guess you think its wrong to tag ark falls too.

WRT tagging arc falls, definitely think it is wrong. Trion needs to fix the arc falls so if you're not there at the end, no credit (other than anything earned killing something). If you can't be bothered to put in the work to earn the reward, you shouldn't get the reward.

KTCAOP
07-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I've had issues where I was disconnected and/or killed and had to respawn outside of the Ark area.

If we're going to call it Ark Tagging, then let it be that. Only the last Arkfall that you dealt damage to you can "Tag". That way, sure, you can "tag" an arkfall, but will have to wait for it to resolve before tagging another one.

Nadar
07-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Hopefully the disconnect issue isn't something to really worry about - I realize it happens but even now, I don't think you get credit anyway unless you get lucky and happen to re-connect into the same shard...not even sure that'd even give you credit since I've never had it happen to me.

But good point on spawning outside the Ark area. A simple tweak to the design to handle that would be to give credit to anyone that was at the arc fall 60 seconds before the end (should be plenty of time to get back - and you shouldn't be extracting anyway ;)...let someone get the arc fall revive for the pursuit...and before you say it, I know that sometimes people ignore you as you pitifully crawl around so you have to extract). Or put a minimum time spent in the arc fall for credit. Or I'm sure there are several other designs that would help ensure you've actually earned the reward.

The problem with giving credit only for the last arc fall you did damage at is it would likely only slow them down a bit. Taggers would still tag the arc fall and then travel to the next one so they are ready to tag it as soon as the previous one completes...or probably go tag a couple of emergencies while they are waiting.