PDA

View Full Version : Trion Easiest way to fix overloaded servers is....

SackOfWine
07-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Let us pick which server to log into.

Because you have it set up that we log into the server that are friends are on you're overloading servers. Its obvious what the problem is.

I know you have more than one server in each continent so let us choose which one we sign on every time we log into the game post the current population in that server live so that we can choose which one to go to.

There is a reason why MMORPG games let you choose which server to play in and then they also limit the amount of ppl in that server.

If you wanna play with your friends all you have to do is coordinate which server to play in that day.

***** Please keep this bumped up bc this is the easiest way to fix this unless you have an easier fix*****

KTCAOP
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Almost always my friends and I are on a different "phases" if I am remembering the correct term.

SackOfWine
07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
weird maybe PS3 only has one server tht would piss me off big time

but regardless being able to pick a server and showing us the population in the server at the time would help it a lot.

At least I think so

GiantInMaine
07-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Almost always my friends and I are on a different "phases" if I am remembering the correct term.

Shard & yeah it doesn't put you in the same one as your friends sometimes it does but not much from what I can tell.

SackOfWine
07-15-2013, 08:24 PM
it always does it for me for some reason and it always does it to everyone else on my list also. r u 2 xbox or pc im guessing

GiantInMaine
07-15-2013, 08:26 PM
it always does it for me for some reason and it always does it to everyone else on my list also. r u 2 xbox or pc im guessing

Nope ps3 I hardly ever get put into the same shard as my friends and I know this because they always ask me when I log on if there are any major arkfalls in my shard so that they can travel into my shard if needed.

Also the problem right now couldn't possibly be overloaded servers because no one can even get into servers to play so what would be overloading them?

SackOfWine
07-15-2013, 08:30 PM
I never said this was pointing out to today's problem but i guess I could've picked a better timing to put this post in the forums lol. I was doing this just for overall game/server performance and less lag.

I've played a lot of MMORPG games and I was just stating that trion made a big mistake not following in their footsteps when it comes to servers.

As I've put in my OP there's a reason why MMO games normally let you choose servers and also show you the current live population in that server(most of the time also limits amount of ppl in those servers.) In my opinion it would solve a lot of problems and its not something that should be too difficult to do.

It just seems to me like this game is not doing that. Of course correct me if I'm wrong and I'll close this thread.

Heinzlee
07-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Far as I know, a Shard may or may not be the same things as a server.

Would you suggestion still work with people jumping shards to play with friends and / or look more Arkfalls?

SackOfWine
07-15-2013, 08:44 PM
I mean I don't see why you couldn't jump in with friends to do arkfalls but if they give you access to go back to your server after it will take the stress off that server you just went to.

I guess to simplify what I'm trying to do is if we were able to somehow transfer servers without having to teleport to anyone we can put less stress on the servers, even more so if we can see the current population on them. That way we can somewhat help the game not be so buggy.

I mean we all know Trion has done a lot of things wrong but I really think this could help. Just because I beleive at the end of the day on peak hours everyone somehow ends up all on the same server if you really think about it since I know that we all teleport to friends to hit arkfalls, but then we can't teleport back lol.

Olaf
07-15-2013, 09:42 PM
I mean I don't see why you couldn't jump in with friends to do arkfalls but if they give you access to go back to your server after it will take the stress off that server you just went to.

I guess to simplify what I'm trying to do is if we were able to somehow transfer servers without having to teleport to anyone we can put less stress on the servers, even more so if we can see the current population on them. That way we can somewhat help the game not be so buggy.

I mean we all know Trion has done a lot of things wrong but I really think this could help. Just because I beleive at the end of the day on peak hours everyone somehow ends up all on the same server if you really think about it since I know that we all teleport to friends to hit arkfalls, but then we can't teleport back lol.

Go to the social menu, look at your online friends. The one's on the same shard as you will have a small green icon next to their name, the ones who are on another shard will have a red icon next to their name. When you are teleporting to your friends just use this menu and you will beable to see which ones are on the same shard that you plan on leaving then when the arkfall is finished in the new shard, teleport back to one of your friends that you remember seeing a green icon next to.

dbcameron
07-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Generally shards or phases are a way to split one server to allow for more players. When it comes to multiple servers you would then be locked into that one server and all the shards that come with it. If you had friends on another server you would not be able to free transport back and forth between servers.

At least this has been my experience with WoW, TERA, Guild Wars 2, and DCU online. TERA and Guild Wars allowed you to transfer servers, but it was a lengthy process and sometime created more problems (especially when a guild decides to relocate to a server with a larger population and not everyone is on board.)

ItISLupus
07-16-2013, 05:20 AM
This would be a good idea, and one I support. PSU did it with its "universes" It would require a bit of coding, but I could see it happening. I hate people, especially our more.....Vocal...members. So I'd always choose the least populated shard

squidgod2000
07-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Far as I know, a Shard may or may not be the same things as a server.

A "server" in regards to Defiance is the region/platform (NA PC, EU PC, NA PS3, etc). A shard is basically a copy of the world and one server may hold multiple shards. A phase is an instanced area within a shard (phases generally allow 1-4 players, depending on what it is).

The confusion comes because the word "shard" originally referred to servers. This comes from Ultima Online where each server (i.e., each copy of the world) was a shard of Moradin's gem. Lately developers have started moving to different server setups in an effort to desegregate the playerbase so people could "play with their friends." This has, unfortunately, lead to game worlds that are sliced, diced and minced into shards, instances, phases, etc., and, in my opinion, has decimated server communities. (This is why players, mobs, emergencies and stuff appear and disappear constantly in the game. Even when you're just driving around on the roads you're moving in an out of phases).

CptBadger
07-16-2013, 06:32 AM
I know you have more than one server in each continent

Mad detective skills right there bro!

DarknessEyes PT
07-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Let us pick which server to log into.

Because you have it set up that we log into the server that are friends are on you're overloading servers. Its obvious what the problem is.

I know you have more than one server in each continent so let us choose which one we sign on every time we log into the game post the current population in that server live so that we can choose which one to go to.

There is a reason why MMORPG games let you choose which server to play in and then they also limit the amount of ppl in that server.

If you wanna play with your friends all you have to do is coordinate which server to play in that day.

***** Please keep this bumped up bc this is the easiest way to fix this unless you have an easier fix*****

When i get Disconnected i notice a window to chose the server but no servers listed.
Your idea is great if they replace join phase by join server.

Assasino
07-16-2013, 11:18 AM
i have long been saying many of the issues with the game is server side. Either needs tweaking and or also more servers. Sometimes get up to 4 server disconnects while playing an hour or so.

Kibblehouse
07-16-2013, 11:28 AM
From a purely IT point of view letting the users decide which server to be on as a method of load balancing is a BAD idea. The only reason to have the users do it is from a Customer Relations point of view, its not the way a Server Admin would go if they had their way.

That said if done right in a mature system having a bunch of servers or shards and letting people pick can work well, although your guaranteeing some will always be too full and some will be too empty.