PDA

View Full Version : Still have mixed feelings on Defiance

cesmode
07-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Hi, so during the Steam sale I purchased defiance. I've had my eye on it since launch but have been saving my money. I gave it a few hours this weekend. I like the graphics and style of the game. I like the sandbox feel it has. Arkfalls, while very simplistic, are still kind of fun. However there are just a few negative things I just can't shake.

-This truely feels like a single player game in a multiplayer space. The only time I see other people is during arkfalls and MAYBE the ocassional 1 or 2 players doing the same mission as I. This does not feel multiplayer at all, let alone MMO. I know its not supposed to be an MMO persay, but at least multiplayer. There is no social experience at all. Zone chat is deserted. And if I have no intentions on joining a guild (I am rather particular when choosing a guild/clan), I will continue to feel isolated and deserted and for an online game, that is a rather poor experience. Does it get better or did I pretty much nail it on the head?

-All of the guns sound the same... All of the sniper rifles that Ive found(about two or three so far) sound the same. All of the guns sound the same. The votan guns sound the same. Is there no variety here? It does get annoying when I pick up a new shiney weapon and it sounds like the previous one I had. On the topic of audio, does the "combat music" change at all?

-While I like the sandbox feel of the game and no official "path" or goal...What is there to do? Story missions, side missions, persuits, hotshots, races? Im not really into pvp, but is this about it? I don't need an endgame raid or anything to keep me going in the game, but is there any reason to continue to log in? Ive been playing firefall, and crafting/resource gathering is cornerstone in that game. Crafting my gear constantly, because it breaks, keeps me playing(and playing any aspect of the game that I choose). So is there anything similar here? Any thing to keep you going? Or is it going from arkfall to arkfall, side mission to side mission?

-The enemy NPCs and AI seem clunky. They look like the jerk instead of move smoothly. The combat feels clunky. Is dodging a key aspect to staying alive? Or a failed mechanic?

I have the game, it still interests me. But I want to know if it'd be worth my time or not.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

cesmode
07-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Bump buumpity bump.

squidgod2000
07-16-2013, 05:33 AM
-This truely feels like a single player game in a multiplayer space. The only time I see other people is during arkfalls and MAYBE the ocassional 1 or 2 players doing the same mission as I. This does not feel multiplayer at all, let alone MMO. I know its not supposed to be an MMO persay, but at least multiplayer. There is no social experience at all. Zone chat is deserted. [...] Does it get better or did I pretty much nail it on the head?

Zone chat is deserted because it doesn't exist. "Area" chat only reaches a few meters--basically player draw distance.

No, it doesn't get better as you level up.

On the topic of audio, does the "combat music" change at all?

Not really. Minor arkfalls have different combat music depending on the enemy type and some areas have different combat music, but even when it's there it's barely noticeable. Be thankful you weren't playing back when combat music looped endlessly, in and out of combat.

-While I like the sandbox feel of the game and no official "path" or goal...What is there to do? Story missions, side missions, persuits, hotshots, races? Im not really into pvp, but is this about it? I don't need an endgame raid or anything to keep me going in the game, but is there any reason to continue to log in? Ive been playing firefall, and crafting/resource gathering is cornerstone in that game. Crafting my gear constantly, because it breaks, keeps me playing(and playing any aspect of the game that I choose). So is there anything similar here? Any thing to keep you going? Or is it going from arkfall to arkfall, side mission to side mission?

Just the EGO climb to 5000 (though I'd delay that until they add some benefits for higher levels--right now there are only penalties, thanks to the Steam Salers) and the gear grind. Farming ark salvage to buy keys for random-loot lockboxes, farming arkfalls for keys to buy random-loot lockboxes, etc. The entire progression system is basically a big random number generator.

-The enemy NPCs and AI seem clunky. They look like the jerk instead of move smoothly. The combat feels clunky. Is dodging a key aspect to staying alive? Or a failed mechanic?

AI is dumb as sh*t. That's why mobs get high damage, perfect aim and no falloff. Some stuff needs to be dodged simply because it's designed that way, but most of the forced-dodge attacks aren't too bad. You'll find yourself not dodging because of the damage of the attack, but because getting knocked down constantly is irritating.

I want to know if it'd be worth my time or not.

Only you know that.

cesmode
07-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

How are the dungeons? How is the design direction of the game? Trion doing a good job / living up to their reputation?

squidgod2000
07-16-2013, 07:03 AM
How are the dungeons? How is the design direction of the game? Trion doing a good job / living up to their reputation?

Co-ops are fine, though very easy (impossible to fail, really).

No clue about design direction since they haven't really laid out a path since launch. They've basically just said "yes, eventually" to everything players have asked for.

No, Defiance is sh*tting all over Trion's Rift reputation.