PDA

View Full Version : DLC delay finally understandable.

SpiritumLiberum
07-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Has Trion been delaying the DLC just to design more bumps, slopes and whatever else to deliberately throw people off track while driving? It seems when the game launched there has been more thought on how to ruin someones amazing speedy driving than anything else lmao.:eek:

squidgod2000
07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Has Trion been delaying the DLC just to design more bumps, slopes and whatever else to deliberately throw people off track while driving? It seems when the game launched there has been more thought on how to ruin someones amazing speedy driving than anything else lmao.:eek:

Blame the physics. Cars are too light and/or gravity too low.

SpiritumLiberum
07-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Even though they design a nice dip that gathers speed just to faceplant us into a tree? Or a great ramp just to throw you in terraformed vines... its disgusting.

janzig
07-16-2013, 12:57 PM

Makes steering hard because your tires are so often not contacting the ground.

They also turn around a center point on the vehicle, and not from your front tires. Irritating.

Iceberg
07-16-2013, 03:24 PM
It seems any time I need to make a course correction my front wheels are always bouncing off the ground at that exact moment. I don't even go over hills any more since I know there is a tree or rock waiting for me on the landing.

Lollie
07-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I find driving around like a lunatic a lot of fun. Crashing is funny. Barely escaping a collision is also good value. Driving in this game is not serious business. I don't do any of the time trials because I will without doubt screw them up horribly and crash.

Indra Echo
07-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I opt for the gravity thing since I'm pretty sure all that bunny hopping in PvP is due to either light headedness or lack of gravity.

And this is one thing that just confounds me. And one thing I'd consider changing. It makes no sense at all for someone with a rocket launcher to do that constant hopping while shooting the thing. And I really wish these people would see that hopping doesn't really help. 9 times out of 10, they still get smashed to bits, even by me.

The other thing I wish would happen is far less of a hard crash into all plants. Can't some of them have some nice soft "I hit a plant" sounds. Hit a building or a plant and it all seems the same.

But none of this has anything to do with the DLC.

I am going out on a limb and saying that Trion is doing what they said they'd do-they wanted DLC to be partly determined by how we play the game. We liked sieges and wanted the Volge in the game, so they're creating them. People wanted a way to duel each other and they're creating an arena. People asked for the Castithans and they're giving us them. I know that many of us wanted Charge weapons (and blades) and we're getting them. People wanted to drive a bigger truck and we're getting that.

I also have no doubt that in the future we may well get motorcycles. I think it would be funny if we also got bicycles or mopeds or scooters too.

I do think people need to be less cynical and discuss more things they'd like to see, make suggestions about them, and see what happens.

hardy83
07-16-2013, 03:34 PM
I find driving around like a lunatic a lot of fun. Crashing is funny. Barely escaping a collision is also good value. Driving in this game is not serious business. I don't do any of the time trials because I will without doubt screw them up horribly and crash.

The driving is great in the game, but not for a timed race. The physical can literally ruin you getting a gold medal in a split second.

I'd rather they have a racing track to occupy racers with and have stunt ramps/hills around the world.

Lollie
07-16-2013, 03:36 PM
I do think people need to be less cynical and discuss more things they'd like to see, make suggestions about them, and see what happens.

I want a house, storage, and a city.

And a tank. With guns.

Indra Echo
07-16-2013, 03:37 PM

You should try some of them. There's no feeling like trying for the 5th time to get gold and getting near the end, and having a Monarch walk right in front of you. Yes, it was a challenge but I got the Black Challenger. But doing all of those time trials was nowhere near as bad as the first Dodge Challenge weekend. I managed to get gold 3 times so I had enough rep to get all 3 cars, but I swear I started the challenge over 300 times. I wasn't going to let it win-most of the time there were game failures that kept me from getting gold and lots of times mistakes I made.

Lollie
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
You should try some of them. There's no feeling like trying for the 5th time to get gold and getting near the end, and having a Monarch walk right in front of you. Yes, it was a challenge but I got the Black Challenger. But doing all of those time trials was nowhere near as bad as the first Dodge Challenge weekend. I managed to get gold 3 times so I had enough rep to get all 3 cars, but I swear I started the challenge over 300 times. I wasn't going to let it win-most of the time there were game failures that kept me from getting gold and lots of times mistakes I made.

Haha no, I'm bad at things with timers. I just like to cruise around and be left to happily screw up without any pressure on me to be perfect.

Indra Echo
07-16-2013, 03:44 PM

And a tank. With guns.

Ha ha-I actually sort of want all those things. In fact, I know this isn't an RPG but I'd like more RPG elements in it. I would like a house with storage, but not if what happened to people in Skyrim happens-people would use storage in their houses and the items would fall through the map and be lost forever.

I really do wish we could have a vehicle with guns the driver could shoot-oooh yeah! I wish we had more options as far as well, ok dancing and emoting. Too many people are the second best arkhunters.

I want flamethrowers. I want syphon grenades. I want a boat. A boat with a gun. And I'd like a turret I can mount on a vehicle but that I can also remove and use. I want a mini-gun. I want bathing suits.

And a city of some sort, maybe with different areas (some way for them to reduce lag) because a city with 64 players in it and lots of NPCs would get very laggy, especially if people tried to drive their cars through it.

I want whips. Lightning whips, fire whips, nano whips. And I want a horse or a hellbug mount.

Indra Echo
07-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Haha no, I'm bad at things with timers. I just like to cruise around and be left to happily screw up without any pressure on me to be perfect.

Oh yeah I hear ya. I really figured I'd never do those things when I tried the first. Glad I'm done with them for now. I do so miss that broken thing at Muir Processing that you could use to launch your car into the air-that was fun. Silly fun.

Did you ever go up the tower in San Francisco and drive off?

Lollie
07-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Oh yeah I hear ya. I really figured I'd never do those things when I tried the first. Glad I'm done with them for now. I do so miss that broken thing at Muir Processing that you could use to launch your car into the air-that was fun. Silly fun.

Did you ever go up the tower in San Francisco and drive off?

No, I didn't. Found a random spot that launched me off into the sea at such an awkward angle I managed to accidentally get some of my turns done though. I would drive up this little hill, into the side of this building, get bounced off and do spins mid-air.

Angeleus09
07-16-2013, 04:45 PM

And a tank. With guns.

Ha ha-I actually sort of want all those things. In fact, I know this isn't an RPG but I'd like more RPG elements in it. I would like a house with storage, but not if what happened to people in Skyrim happens-people would use storage in their houses and the items would fall through the map and be lost forever.

I really do wish we could have a vehicle with guns the driver could shoot-oooh yeah! I wish we had more options as far as well, ok dancing and emoting. Too many people are the second best arkhunters.

I want flamethrowers. I want syphon grenades. I want a boat. A boat with a gun. And I'd like a turret I can mount on a vehicle but that I can also remove and use. I want a mini-gun. I want bathing suits.

And a city of some sort, maybe with different areas (some way for them to reduce lag) because a city with 64 players in it and lots of NPCs would get very laggy, especially if people tried to drive their cars through it.

I want whips. Lightning whips, fire whips, nano whips. And I want a horse or a hellbug mount.

I also think a city/town/settlement area would be cool. The issue that we run into is where would it be and how would it fit into the world? Everything is all blowed up or terra-crushed. If there was housing to be had, it would have been where there actually were a ton of housing structures in SF proper, but that's pile of gray dirt.

The only other settlement of any decent size was Tranquility, but that just ended badly and I don't think anyone is in a hurry to move back into there. Plus if we factor in the lore aspect of it, the Bay area is constantly being bombarded by Arkfall, meaning any building of decent size has a chance of being wiped out at any time.

This leaves us with two, possibly three options:

An underground network of tunnels sort of like Cooper's bunker area. Do we really want to put a large amount of people underground though when hellbugs can clearly burrow and the Volge are said to dwell in the dark places below the surface?

Convert the wrecked stratocarrier into make-shift housing. It's big enough, it's probably already equipped with quarters to an extent and could be further modified. But how does Trion do that without changing the entire beginning of the game and the nature of the starting quests?

I suppose they could add a cinematic that players don't see until after the initial missions that have us saving soldiers, searching for Von Bach etc. It could be a "Now that we've cleared out the mutants with your help, Ark Hunter we're turning this lunk of metal into a shelter, I'd say you've earned yourself a bunk," type of scene with Col. Grant.

We (the players) are able to secure a power source through a quest line that is strong enough to erect an energy dome (like the wall around Defiance in the pilot) in one of the areas of the map that is currently blocked off allowing large scale housing to be built that is protected from mutants, raiders, 99ers, Arkfall, etc. in a way that fits into the game world and evolves as part of the story we are all participating in.

As for the tank, the boat, the flails and the hellbug mount... yeah, I'd be down with that too.

Havix
07-16-2013, 05:13 PM
I do have to admit, it's annoying as **** when I have to respawn my wheels after getting stuck in a tree or anything else.

Indra Echo
07-16-2013, 06:45 PM
I also think a city/town/settlement area would be cool. The issue that we run into is where would it be and how would it fit into the world? Everything is all blowed up or terra-crushed. If there was housing to be had, it would have been where there actually were a ton of housing structures in SF proper, but that's pile of gray dirt.

The only other settlement of any decent size was Tranquility, but that just ended badly and I don't think anyone is in a hurry to move back into there. Plus if we factor in the lore aspect of it, the Bay area is constantly being bombarded by Arkfall, meaning any building of decent size has a chance of being wiped out at any time.

This leaves us with two, possibly three options:

An underground network of tunnels sort of like Cooper's bunker area. Do we really want to put a large amount of people underground though when hellbugs can clearly burrow and the Volge are said to dwell in the dark places below the surface?

Convert the wrecked stratocarrier into make-shift housing. It's big enough, it's probably already equipped with quarters to an extent and could be further modified. But how does Trion do that without changing the entire beginning of the game and the nature of the starting quests?

I suppose they could add a cinematic that players don't see until after the initial missions that have us saving soldiers, searching for Von Bach etc. It could be a "Now that we've cleared out the mutants with your help, Ark Hunter we're turning this lunk of metal into a shelter, I'd say you've earned yourself a bunk," type of scene with Col. Grant.

We (the players) are able to secure a power source through a quest line that is strong enough to erect an energy dome (like the wall around Defiance in the pilot) in one of the areas of the map that is currently blocked off allowing large scale housing to be built that is protected from mutants, raiders, 99ers, Arkfall, etc. in a way that fits into the game world and evolves as part of the story we are all participating in.

As for the tank, the boat, the flails and the hellbug mount... yeah, I'd be down with that too.

Cool ideas. And I do think it would be interesting if it could be worked into a mission (as you said maybe bunkers) or some sort of even tent or temporary "city". Cool if they figure out a way to get the lag out....

RealHoosier07
07-16-2013, 07:32 PM
I opt for the gravity thing since I'm pretty sure all that bunny hopping in PvP is due to either light headedness or lack of gravity.

And this is one thing that just confounds me. And one thing I'd consider changing. It makes no sense at all for someone with a rocket launcher to do that constant hopping while shooting the thing. And I really wish these people would see that hopping doesn't really help. 9 times out of 10, they still get smashed to bits, even by me.

The other thing I wish would happen is far less of a hard crash into all plants. Can't some of them have some nice soft "I hit a plant" sounds. Hit a building or a plant and it all seems the same.

But none of this has anything to do with the DLC.

I am going out on a limb and saying that Trion is doing what they said they'd do-they wanted DLC to be partly determined by how we play the game. We liked sieges and wanted the Volge in the game, so they're creating them. People wanted a way to duel each other and they're creating an arena. People asked for the Castithans and they're giving us them. I know that many of us wanted Charge weapons (and blades) and we're getting them. People wanted to drive a bigger truck and we're getting that.

I also have no doubt that in the future we may well get motorcycles. I think it would be funny if we also got bicycles or mopeds or scooters too.

The dueling will happen in the open world. The Battle Arena isn't for dueling. The Battle Arena is a co-op event with up to 4 players. I have a post on here where I discussed the answer I was given for my question about Battle Arena's on the finale of Across the Badlands.

Angeleus09
07-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Cool ideas. And I do think it would be interesting if it could be worked into a mission (as you said maybe bunkers) or some sort of even tent or temporary "city". Cool if they figure out a way to get the lag out....

Thanks! I figure with those options we'd have to enter the locations through a smaller area which would prohibit people from driving around and causing havoc. They could all even be places we enter the same way we enter co-op maps so that it could shard players off allowing for less lag.

I like the idea of a "tent city" it would be very much in keeping with the aesthetic of the world and would make a lot of sense in terms of the story. Where are all these Ark Hunters sleeping every night since they're clearly not camping behind the Bolinas Smeltery or on top of the dam? Over there in the tents behind the makeshift barricade wall with the turrets.

Doctor Tiki
07-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Haha I have to agree 100%, although even with my driving lunacy I found the racing pursuits enjoyable.