PDA

View Full Version : Did the beta Condemn the game?

TheNeoReaper
03-27-2013, 06:39 PM
I for one think betas & demos are good but there are cases where they hurt a game in terms of sales. I believe defiance is one of them. Should they of had a console betas?

Jardian
03-27-2013, 06:43 PM
It was tested on every platfom so I dont see what your getting it. Also the Beta was told to be several months old from what the current stage of the process is with the alpha testers.

Gradius
03-27-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm not too sure about console sales, but the PC sales (at least on Steam) have surged pretty well over the last few days.

FizzyMyNizzy
03-27-2013, 06:44 PM
I for one think betas & demos are good but there are cases where they hurt a game in terms of sales. I believe defiance is one of them. Should they of had a console betas?

They did have the console beta.

iiReLaX o
03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Why are people doubting Defiance now?

Theonerayman
03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
I think the opposite. I had preorderd the 150 Ultimate Edition from gamestop and before the beta I was a bit worried..but after words I was beyond glad that I had gotten that version. The beta showed that the game could in fact work. And I would like to point out that the rough lagy launch that the devs fixed in a few hours showed us just how serious they were about the game, that they were able to fix it so cleanly and quickly.

Btd5025
03-27-2013, 06:46 PM
I mean I played both the PC, and Xbox beta's.

If I only played the Xbox beta, and were making judgement's based solely upon that version, then yes, it would hurt sales. Don't get me wrong, several people loved the Xbox version. However for me, its was way to severely under-developed (yes, I know it was an older version of the beta). It was very glitchy, the graphics were severely out-dated, and overall, there were too many frustrations with it. However the PC version was twice as good (well it played better for me that is).

Ookami Soldier
03-27-2013, 06:46 PM
I know quiet a few people that when beta first opened with a lot of lag hung it up. Once they found out the lag was fixed, they got back on and Saturday atleast 10 people on my friends list went and pre-ordered the UE.

The Beta showed a lot of promise for some people. But each person is looking for something to connect them to a game. This game on the console is -ALMOST- a new genre. You can't look at Defiance solely as a MMORPG because its not. Nor can you look at it as "just a 3rd person shooter". It melds a lot of different aspects and created a new world for the gaming community to explore and learn.

This past weekend was a Beta, people expecting the game to be 1:1 with it are mistaken. Find the good things, report the bad (and hope they listen), and enjoy what was offered from the 22nd to the 27th.

And as an employee of GameStop, our pre-orders went from 5 to quiet a bit higher AFTER Beta on both consoles.

Dead_Phoenix
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
last i heard sales have dramatically increased since the beta.

so i guess good call for trion

FantasyMeister
03-27-2013, 06:50 PM
The beta build we had on the XBox 360, which was 2.5 months older than the PC beta build, resulted in a pre-order from me. I'd say that the main issue is probably the marketing, there has been very little of it that I've seen in Europe, but then it's an MMO with a much longer lifespan than say a big budget AAA single-player title, so I guess they can roll out marketing as and when required if they need to boost the numbers a little.

Munx
03-27-2013, 06:52 PM
I think the Pc beta was a good idea, however I have to question the decission behind doing a console beta this close to launch, when they were not able to provide a build that would leave a overall good impression.

While I don't think console beta has "doomed" the game, I definatly belive it might have negativly impacted the amount of pre-orders.

However due to the nature of the game (being tied to a bigtime series), It will continue to get free PR every week or so, so In the long run the amount of pre-order might not mather much, if any.

Regardless, We can't change the fact that the beta happened, what will happen, happens.

MoFetti
03-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Was going to get the regular version (360). Played beta, went and pre-ordered the CE Edition. I'd say it helped more than anything.

NinthPrejudice
03-27-2013, 06:56 PM
I think for those who didn't/wouldn't like it, they got a reason to cancel. For those who liked it, they found a reason to buy it. Either way I think it got more players than cancellations.

Daholic
03-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Was going to get the regular version (360). Played beta, went and pre-ordered the CE Edition. I'd say it helped more than anything.

Well was going to pre-order, played the beta, decided to either wait and see or get more research on the rpg element..take your upgrade and my downgrade, id say its a wash

Jardian
03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I think the Pc beta was a good idea, however I have to question the decission behind doing a console beta this close to launch, when they were not able to provide a build that would leave a overall good impression.

While I don't think console beta has "doomed" the game, I definatly belive it might have negativly impacted the amount of pre-orders.

However due to the nature of the game (being tied to a bigtime series), It will continue to get free PR every week or so, so In the long run the amount of pre-order might not mather much, if any.

Regardless, We can't change the fact that the beta happened, what will happen, happens.

You cant do a console MMo without doing a stress test and checking some of the code under load. To not do one is what will kill a game from the start. Guys with DCUO found this out when they did the beta for it on ps3 the code was not acting correctly as it had with the inhouse testing when put on the network and stressed in the beta.

Pasha
03-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Pre-orders on Steam literally exploded during and after beta. I believe all 3 tiers will be unlocked at Sunday at present pace.

Valethar
03-27-2013, 07:02 PM

The latest Beta actually improved pre-orders by a significant margin. Steam pre-orders alone went from approximately 30% of their Tier 1 threshold to being at 100% of Tier 1 and is now at 37% of unlocking Tier 2 rewards. All within less than a week. At this rate, they may actually achieve the Tier 2 reward, though I still doubt they'll reach Tier 3 because of how late Steam started taking orders.

Sanguinesun
03-27-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm not too sure about console sales, but the PC sales (at least on Steam) have surged pretty well over the last few days.

37% into tier 2 at the moment meaning its actually on track to have moved 40+ percentage points over the last 24 hours. That'd make it the biggest jump in one day for sales for Defiance on steam to date.

6Strummer
03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
I already had mine preordered and the beta only cemented the deal. People who cancel games because of betas bug me.

Daholic
03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
You cant do a console MMo without doing a stress test and checking some of the code under load. To not do one is what will kill a game from the start. Guys with DCUO found this out when they did the beta for it on ps3 the code was not acting correctly as it had with the inhouse testing when put on the network and stressed in the beta.

I dont think he was concerned about it being in beta, but more so launching a beta so very close to release date.

Surely, my friend, you can agree if a title has a january 1 release date, and a beta dec 25, and its not close to flawless(or console ready) one might feel compelled to believe theres no way in hell all the glitches, bugs, ang lacking gamplay can be fixed in such a short time.

Hey, can you really blame them.

It sure effected my buying decision. We shall see...

A s0t
03-27-2013, 07:12 PM
It weeded out the cod players than can't use teamwork
i'm fine with this

mcwjimbo
03-27-2013, 07:15 PM
the beta made me buy 1st thing this past monday morning

Bornhald
03-27-2013, 07:16 PM
It was tested on every platfom so I dont see what your getting it. Also the Beta was told to be several months old from what the current stage of the process is with the alpha testers.

I think it has more to do with the amount of people who didn't hear that.

Ookami Soldier
03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Well was going to pre-order, played the beta, decided to either wait and see or get more research on the rpg element..take your upgrade and my downgrade, id say its a wash

This really isn't an RPG like ME3 or Dragon Age. You don't have a lot of choices that will effect the world as a whole. It's a shooter, were you expecting to be able to sit, smoke, sing, dance, live in a house and get married?

Xiiego94
03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
This really isn't an RPG like ME3 or Dragon Age. You don't have a lot of choices that will effect the world as a whole. It's a shooter, were you expecting to be able to sit, smoke, sing, dance, live in a house and get married?well, they are key missions that shows the outcome in the show...

Jardian
03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
I dont think he was concerned about it being in beta, but more so launching a beta so very close to release date.

Surely, my friend, you can agree if a title has a january 1 release date, and a beta dec 25, and its not close to flawless(or console ready) one might feel compelled to believe theres no way in hell all the glitches, bugs, ang lacking gamplay can be fixed in such a short time.

Hey, can you really blame them.

It sure effected my buying decision. We shall see...

This had two other beta's and a alpha that is still ongoing I believe. If your baseing your view on the game over what was seen in the beta where its was in bold print "This is not the finished product at all" and you miss the info the build was several months old for stress testing. All I can say is ROFFL.

Ookami Soldier
03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
well, they are key missions that shows the outcome in the show...

Right, but it's not like your character is going to be named in the show. Unless we all get to be the "Ark Hunter" that survived a crash and saved Van Bach.

Jardian
03-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Actually world changeing events can happen in the game. And your char can be named in the show. The game starts before the TV show begins.

TechGnome
03-27-2013, 07:27 PM
For me, the beta was a good thing.. true, this close to going live, it would have been nice to have something a bit more polished... but once you consider it's 4-months old, not too bad in my opinion. It also gave me a chance to play around with the controls and get a feel for how the game works. Now the next time around, I won't have to spend so much time running through the tutorials, I should be able to breeze right through them and get down to it.

Originally I had ordered the SE... after the demo, I went down to my local GS and upgraded it to the DE... why not the UE? Because I don't consider myself hardcore enough to go that route. The DS along with the Season Pass (which I also put a down payment on) comes out to less than the UE and almost the same amount of in-game goodies.

-tg

Xiiego94
03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Actually world changeing events can happen in the game. And your char can be named in the show. The game starts before the TV show begins.yup. Although it would be awkward... "snipe1x890 will be remembered for his actions" etc.

Xyr3s
03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
the only ting i think trion should have done was do the BWE 1,2,3 last years, release the beta nda start og this year and do an open beta.... it would have done way more marketing and gotten way more sales... im still confused y trion waited to lift nda 1 week before release...... so many streamers trying to promote defiance on their streams.... but they only got to stream 1 beta weekend.... if beta streaming was still going on on all platfrms.... it would spread more of the holy word and net in more sales :)

actually come to think of it they only released NDA for 1 weekend lol...... seing as no one can stream or record anymore after the weekend lol.....

ANTI
03-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Was originally on the fence about this game. Got into the pc beta 3 weekend. Pre-ordered the game off Steam after 30 minutes of gameplay. The beta is what made me confident that this game was a worthy investment.

Xyr3s
03-27-2013, 07:30 PM
yup. Although it would be awkward... "snipe1x890 will be remembered for his actions" etc.

except the TV show has allready been filmed lol

Zyvaks
03-27-2013, 07:35 PM
to be honest, i would've just ignored the game and show if it were not for my ps+ status getting me into the beta.
my love for the game quickly rose as i played it
as for the show, i kinda had to force myself through part of the 14 minute preview, but now i am genuinely interested in it :)
i cannot wait for the 2nd and 15th :D

Zhyr
Having been playing the Alpha and noticing the massive improvements there, I have no doubt that the full version is going to blow your minds.

Daholic
This had two other beta's and a alpha that is still ongoing I believe. If your baseing your view on the game over what was seen in the beta where its was in bold print "This is not the finished product at all" and you miss the info the build was several months old for stress testing. All I can say is ROFFL.

An you have no idea how well the polished game will look, you went all in, hey good for you, but id rather wait to see the finished product. Like yall say, its just a shooter, i can wait 2wks after release and still join a coop and be effective...haha you know, cuz its so balanced and classless. Oh joy! ill see you there

Ookami Soldier
Actually world changeing events can happen in the game. And your char can be named in the show. The game starts before the TV show begins.

Right, so if some 14 y/o with the name of "Poops on you" is the first to do this, they are going to use that name?

Xyr3s
03-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Right, so if some 14 y/o with the name of "Poops on you" is the first to do this, they are going to use that name?

or they'd just call him POY :p

mcwjimbo
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
or they'd just call him POY :p

Ha
/10 char/

Xiiego94
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
or they'd just call him POY :phahaha 10chars.

Xyr3s
03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
i dont get it : /

Prophet of Entropy
03-27-2013, 07:46 PM
OP, first question; NO!, second question: i think you meant "should they have had console betas", to which the answer is, YES!

smurfsniper
03-27-2013, 07:48 PM
A friend of mine who has only heard of the game, saw me playing the beta the other day......He now has it pre-ordered.

Prophet of Entropy
03-27-2013, 07:48 PM

doubt it, if you have some crazy, dumb or offensive name they arent gonna use it, most likely.. :P

Mack
03-27-2013, 07:55 PM
They did have a beta for consoles, but heres my theory on why Defiance will conquer the Xbox 360.

-First of all since they have not done much advertising only the true MMOTPS players are finding out about the game.
-Once the show comes out Which will give us 2 weeks to play the game, i bet we will see a HUGE increase in players.
-I think once they see that the game cannot fail they will buy it so for now we just have to spread the word from ear to ear until the show comes out.

TinCannEd
03-27-2013, 08:09 PM
I have played the PC Stress Test, PC Beta 2, PC Beta 3, PS3 Beta, Xbox 360 Beta, & have been in the Alpha for some time now. The game is the best on the PC & PS3. The 360 version, even though it was a very early version, had the most problems, including the dreaded "Sign-in Change" Critical Error that prevented a lot of people from even getting on. It took me 48 hours before I could access the game. In, that respect, it could hurt 360 sales, but PC & PS3 pre-orders are increasing. The other complaint 360 players had was the region restrictions. You could not change regions or play with anyone outside of your region. I have a friend in Australia who loved playing, but may not get the game if he can not play with me & my friends.

I, myself, love the game & continue to submit my bug reports on the Alpha to make this game a sucess it should be.

Fros7bite
03-27-2013, 08:14 PM
The beta was great.

/thread

Booshy
03-27-2013, 08:20 PM

The first season is already completely filmed, so there are no actions in game that are going to affect outcomes in this season, unless they just make it seem like that by stating there are some show altering events but making sure it ends up being in the way it was already filmed. As far as having your name talked about in the show, unless it's going to be a text banner panning across like on the news there is no way they add that unless it's for the next season.

ALVn
03-27-2013, 08:20 PM
The beta was great.

/thread

Can confirm this beta was the bees knees. Yeah it was buggy but unlike most xbox 360 players i had NO issues with lag since day 1.. A few moments of falling through the floor and so forth but its an old build and if people are thrown off by a beta i pity them.. Its for us to help them improve on what bas the potential to be a great success.

I just wish it was longer and not soo close to release :P

mcwjimbo
03-27-2013, 08:35 PM
The first season is already completely .......

actually no

episodic TV seasons are 22 episodes

Scy-fy ordered 13 episodes that are completed. Most episodic Tv the 1st season only gets picked up for 9 episodes to start...all to test reception. scy-fy felt confident enough to go for 13 above the normal 9

The decision will be made by the airing of around the 4th episode to order the rest of the episodes for the 1st season to be made = hitting 22

Sometimes a show that will not be carried on will be told they will be allowed an extra episode or 2 to wrap up the story line if the powers that be are feeling particularly kind.

So 13 episodes are filmed, but no clue on if we will get a full season of 22 which then also means a season 2

smurfsniper
03-27-2013, 11:02 PM
ST: DS9 only had 20 episodes, and ST: Voyager only had 15 episodes for the first season. And many other shows had less then 20 episodes in the first season. 22 is not the magical number everyone goes for. Maybe they are only making this a short season so fans can fully understand the universe without overloading us with information, then season 2 will be where it will start to pick up. Or it could be short to save money, and want to test the waters without over commiting on making over 20 eps.

MacDeath
03-27-2013, 11:25 PM
37% into tier 2 at the moment meaning its actually on track to have moved 40+ percentage points over the last 24 hours. That'd make it the biggest jump in one day for sales for Defiance on steam to date.
And it isn't just on Steam that pre-orders took a big jump up. VGChartz ONLY track's retail store sales in the US. The chart released yesterday showed a HUGE jump in Xbox pre-orders and an ok jump in PC pre-orders.
The chart can be seen here: http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/41357/USA/

Tatakai no Kami
03-27-2013, 11:43 PM
actually no

episodic TV seasons are 22 episodes

Scy-fy ordered 13 episodes that are completed. Most episodic Tv the 1st season only gets picked up for 9 episodes to start...all to test reception. scy-fy felt confident enough to go for 13 above the normal 9

The decision will be made by the airing of around the 4th episode to order the rest of the episodes for the 1st season to be made = hitting 22

Sometimes a show that will not be carried on will be told they will be allowed an extra episode or 2 to wrap up the story line if the powers that be are feeling particularly kind.

So 13 episodes are filmed, but no clue on if we will get a full season of 22 which then also means a season 2

BSG season 1 was 13 episodes. Most Syfy shows don't run the standard 22 episode seasons. Alphas season 1 was 11, season 2 was 13, Warehouse 13 has traditionally been a 12 episode season with the 13th being the Holiday special, but the last season only ran 10 episodes.

A lot of shows these days are running 8, 10, 12 or 13 episode seasons as standard. Dexter is 12, Strike back is 10, banshee was 10, Justified is 13, game of Thrones is 10. Walking Dead varies. Some syndicated shows which usually run 22 episode seasons only run 20, or sometimes hit 24.

There really is no set standard for how many episodes are in a season.

sleepydumbdude
03-28-2013, 12:32 AM
I thought the beta was good. Before the beta all I heard about it was from promos at SDCC 2012 then barely anything until the beta. I did start looking into more after the beta like the 15 minute preview and my syfy on demand has previews for the game that are really good. I told two friends how to get the beta and told them if either of them would pick up the game then I would. This will probably be my summer game I play a lot.
I like it as a console game. I don't think I would have picked it up for PC.