PDA

View Full Version : Nim The Hardest encounter of all time!!!

S429
07-16-2013, 10:32 PM
I have seen these threads for months, so I figured I would say my peace.

Nim "IS NOT" the hardest boss of all time, I beat him on my 1st playthrough a few weeks after the game came out and I was about ego 635 (give or take a few). It took 3 trys and i did not check the forums for help, i simply roll spammed and shot him with my AR.

Jack Leg Jo on the other hand took me about 20 tries and 4 hours lol!!!

I could not for the life of me shoot the ****ing backpacks, after that my aiming got better though.

Said my peace, what do you guys think?

Raver Wolfe
07-16-2013, 10:33 PM
I just redid the story for the hell of it and beat Nim with Blur and a Assault Rifle on my first try. Was fun. xD

Phuccko
07-16-2013, 10:38 PM
I agree
People on these forums cry that **** is too easy and then turn right around and cry that **** is too hard. You can never please the masses
I didn't find either boss any harder than other games I have played in the past
I say "if you can't handle it, then go buy a wii u and play Super Mario Bros"

Turantula
07-16-2013, 10:50 PM
I agree
People on these forums cry that **** is too easy and then turn right around and cry that **** is too hard. You can never please the masses
I didn't find either boss any harder than other games I have played in the past
I say "if you can't handle it, then go buy a wii u and play Super Mario Bros"

Super mario brothers was definately harder then this game. Bad suggestion lol.

MattN
07-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Beat him first try. 2-3 volge troopers at the same time is much harder than him.

Raver Wolfe
07-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Super mario brothers was definately harder then this game. Bad suggestion lol.

FPS Mario. Mario has a Shotgun with infinite ammo but 5 shots in a clip. Must hold off waves of Koopa's with increasing difficulty and size. Occasional Bombs that you have the option to throw. Bowser every 10th Wave. xD

Turantula
07-16-2013, 10:53 PM
FPS Mario. Mario has a Shotgun with infinite ammo but 5 shots in a clip. Must hold off waves of Koopa's with increasing difficulty and size. Occasional Bombs that you have the option to throw. Bowser every 10th Wave. xD

Sounds like somethin id buy out of the droid store lol. I would too!

Scooter__Johnson
07-16-2013, 10:54 PM
first try was hard for me but second time was easy

Raver Wolfe
07-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Sounds like somethin id buy out of the droid store lol. I would too!

Watch out for the Enviormental Traps that come out of the pipes! Be sure to look for the Star, Mushroom, and Fire Ball Drops!

StrikerF91
07-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Killed both the first time thru. Nim was no problum. Jack Leg was a little harder because of not knowing what to do at first then had same problum with hiting the backpacks, just took some time. Iv had more trouble with that dam raider that shoots me in the back from halfway across the map while Im doing a arkfall. You know the one with the smg that shoots perfectly at twice the range of a sniper rifle.

General Sideboob
07-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Nim took me about three tries the first time. A good challenge, but not impossible.

f0d
07-17-2013, 08:31 AM
beat nim first try with about 300 ego rating and it was REALLY easy - it was easy in alpha and now its even easier
same with jackleg - but i knew how to beat jackleg from playing the alpha and if it wasnt for that id say he would have been harder

easiest end boss ever? i cant think of any easier.......

Indra Echo
07-17-2013, 08:36 AM

Nim "IS NOT" the hardest boss of all time, I beat him on my 1st playthrough a few weeks after the game came out and I was about ego 635 (give or take a few). It took 3 trys and i did not check the forums for help, i simply roll spammed and shot him with my AR.

I could not for the life of me shoot the ****ing backpacks, after that my aiming got better though.

Yeah I found Jackleg to be a lot harder than Nim but Nim is hard for people that are just used to being able to overpower enemies with their guns. People need to stop thinking that's what this game is about. As a point of reference, this game bears similarities to Demon's and Dark Souls, but is not as tough. It might get there though and Trion might be slowly leading us there. Those games however dropped you in the middle of WTF and didn't coddle you at all.

I think Trion wants us to focus more on strategy and less on raw weapon power. Nim is the best example (prior to the Volge) of that. You have to pay attention and anticipate his moves and get out of the way, regroup, and attack, and move.

The DS games did this with swords and sorcery and forced you to do it immediately. You couldn't run into a mob of even the weakest foes and overpower them with you strong sword. Same is true in this game. You need to use what cover you have or in places where there's no cover, you need to evade. You cannot stand and shoot and keep shooting and expect to always win. I like that. I want to be forced out of that CoD comfort zone of the instant kill or the rapid fire massive damage kind of thing. I want to be made to think. Nim and the Volge (even Dark Matter) make you do that. And I think they are just the beginning. Jack Leg Jo just caught me totally by surprise and I really struggled with him but after a long time, I defeated him. Nim was easy for me in comparison.

Orbital
07-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Beat him first try. 2-3 volge troopers at the same time is much harder than him.

3 Vicera at once maybe lol, the troopers are cake. They don't move around fast enough to be a challenge. Not saying Nim is that hard either though.

Assasino
07-17-2013, 10:22 AM
I beat Nim with an AR and Ground Pounder. Did not use any Powers.
Joe was even easier. The Volge are actually more of a challenge by yourself then either Joe or Nim

Ark Hunter V42
07-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Nim is too easy, first playthrough I beat him with my EMC SMG and second playthrough I beat him with my FRC SAW and I didn't die.

WarHoundZero
07-17-2013, 12:36 PM
The joe fight pissed the ever loving daylights outta me. I would literally one shot the smelters when I would shoot them in the bacc. Other than that no encounter is overly hard minus when you solo volge and get surrounded by troopers.

maxila
07-17-2013, 01:00 PM

You are the greatest new Defiance player of all time, I bow to your godliness.

KjcKiesh
07-17-2013, 01:11 PM
I found both fights pretty easy tbh, did it 1st against Jackleg- Joe and 2nd time against Nim (although the only reason I died was because I was stupid enough to run for the ammo while one of those spike things in the 3rd phase came up right infront of the ammo box).
The key I found with hitting the backpacks was to melee the little guy first, which either spins him round or knocks him to the ground which gives you time to shoot the back a few times.
And once Jack comes down just dodge the grenades and shoot him till he dead.
Simples (meerkat noise)

Joeymtl
07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
If these people find this boss hard, I'd love to see them try one of final fantasy's hardest superbosses without any hints. This should recalibrate their difficulty scale.

BlackR3ap3r
07-17-2013, 01:50 PM

none of the bosses are very difficult in this game........they all have very predictable routines........and if you have difficulties with any of them there are 100's of guides to beat them......if you need them that is.....

NinjaofSmoke
07-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Beat Nim with a canker infector and a BMG. Nim = easy boss.

Nefarious
07-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Nim is hard if you want to make it an epic fight.

But if you want to cheese it, then the fight is easy. Like others said, infector, bmg, detonator. These things make Nim easy.

I cant wait to get a charge blade and go back to fight him. Its the way it should of been the first time around.

Indra Echo
07-17-2013, 08:59 PM
The thing is there are a lot of players that are new to games with enemies that they can't just keep shooting at and kill. Games today offer little challenge or need to use any sort of strategy at all. To top it off it seems like you are forced to either kill Nim or keep dying with no way out. Other games do generally allow you an easy out-you return to checkpoint and can try again with no penalty. This game and Nim are different from other games. And not everyone gets that right away or immediately knows how to deal with it. Some assume it's a weak weapon or the wrong one.

Rather than telling people they're stupid for thinking Nim is hard be decent and realize Nim is hard FOR THEM and maybe offer help and tips as many do. You will help someone do something they didn't know they could do.

BlackR3ap3r
07-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Nim is hard if you want to make it an epic fight.

But if you want to cheese it, then the fight is easy. Like others said, infector, bmg, detonator. These things make Nim easy.

I cant wait to get a charge blade and go back to fight him. Its the way it should of been the first time around.

im looking forward to that as well......he might actually kill me a few times with just a blade at my disposal......

psybr1
07-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Its the reverse for me jack was hard in either alpha or beta but i beat him first time after the game came out.i've gotten to third stage with nim and just got tired of it. I mean really you kick his butt twice and he comes back stronger than before i could feel the ark salvage passing me by not to mention the vendor deals. So for now he's on hold.

psybr1
07-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Hahaha i agree but i'm new to mmos'

psybr1
07-18-2013, 01:27 AM
I think you are right,and i think some people are just so jaded instead of good advice like yours they go all elitiest.

Phuccko
07-18-2013, 01:47 AM

You should check out Mario Warfare.....it's worth a google

Arsenic_Touch
07-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Nim and Jackleg joe are really not that hard. The problem lies in how the content is laid out. There is nothing to hone your skills on for the tactics required to beat those bosses. It's pretty much throwing someone off the end of a pier to teach them to swim or drown without giving them the training. So it will give an illusion of difficulty to someone that isn't quick to adapt or used to those types of actions given that everything prior to those two encounters is comparable to rolling your face across the keyboard. Once you learn the tactics and patterns, you see that it was never really that difficult, it was just that you had nothing else to compare it to.

Omnifarious
07-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Jackleg Joe was a joke, I just sat behind a crate that he couldn't reach me behind, and shot him to death. Nim was also a joke, I just circled him slowly and shot him in the face with a shotgun until he died.

maxila
07-18-2013, 01:18 PM
I beat Nim with no weapons... melee'd him to death... while I was afk

That's right, I'm awesome.

Chrono499
07-18-2013, 01:30 PM

LOL, it has been a while since we have seen that I guess. Maybe all the nooblits have beat him already

KTCAOP
07-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I beat Nim with no weapons... melee'd him to death... while I was afk

That's right, I'm awesome.

Either Nerf Melee or ban you for botting D=.

I'm slowly making some headway on my minimalist survivalist, the pistol shoots super slowly so it will probably be much more difficult this time around D=.

maxila
07-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Either Nerf Melee or ban you for botting D=.

No botting, telekinesis my friend. Did you miss the part about me being awesome?

KTCAOP
07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
No botting, telekinesis my friend. Did you miss the part about me being awesome?

I apologize, I should've understood D=.

maxila
07-18-2013, 02:26 PM
I apologize, I should've understood D=.

Understandably you underestimated my awesomeness, it's ok I'm used to it.

Shandri
07-19-2013, 07:54 AM

I didn't find Nim particularly difficult from a technical perspective, but I still haven't beat him. I had to suicide and leave the mission about five minutes into it because the fight made me very motion sick. I may try it again sometime....but blargh. Since the story doesn't really mean anything in this game, I don't care if that mission remains unfinished. Might pick up some Dramamine and give it another go sometime tho'....if I ever stop wasting time running around doing random junk for long enough. :P

I actually found Jack Leg very easy. I initially kept killing those midgets by accident and wanted to toss my controller at them...but then I tried punching one...he flipped over onto his back, I shot it and off it went to go boom in the required location. So I just punched them all after that. Hehee

maxila
07-19-2013, 09:28 AM
the fight made me very motion sick. I may try it again sometime....

I've heard this can happen to some people but until now, I've never seen anyone specifically say it happens to them. Does it happen in a lot of other game situations like the Nim fight or is it specific to Nim only, and are you prone to motion sickness in cars, rides, etc? I'm kinda of curious.

Shismar
07-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Nim is easy but boring as long as the ping time is short enough and cover works. If he starts AoEing you when you are long behind a column it begins to become annoying. Decent twitch skills and knowing how to roll help but not everyone has them. It is not like the rest of the game requires any of that. Not even the Volge (and the are pretty fresh too).

My problem with the fight is that there is no break time to reconfigure your perks or set up different weapon combos after being defeated. If you try, you basically go into a death loop.

Concerning the smelters in the Jack fight, use a detonator. Problem solved. 100% certain ignition.