PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see holiday content?

JxSiN
07-18-2013, 12:57 AM
I know a lot of MMO's offer exclusive holiday content (even if it is recycled from one holiday to the next, DCUO does that). I'm certain that a lot of people were expecting something to happen on July 4th (America's Independence Day), and even hit up the forums saying they saw a post or a tweet or whatever that was removed. Sadly, nothing happened. I would love to hear back from the devs or a community manager (both highly unlikely), even if it is a vague hint that holiday content may one day be available. It would be awesome to have some holiday related missions that gave us holiday related uniforms or vehicles, and it would definitely bring some of the players who are on hiatus back between DLCs. So what do you guys think? Feel free to chime in devs/moderators.

Ozzy
07-18-2013, 01:02 AM
There was a special 4th of July armor suit for sale. So yes, there's been holiday content...albeit nothing spectacular but I never expect that anyhow.

JxSiN
07-18-2013, 01:17 AM
There was a special 4th of July armor suit for sale. So yes, there's been holiday content...albeit nothing spectacular but I never expect that anyhow.

OK, Let me rephrase. Will there be any holiday content I don't have to spend 16 bucks for a recolored existing outfit to have? :)

I'm thinking more along the lines of missions, rewards, special events, etc. Not something to take our money (unless it is a brand new armor or vehicle and not a recolor, and not offered after the holiday is over).

Arsenic_Touch
07-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Don't really see a point to it in this game. If there was a more fleshed out world, with more social interaction and community, then I could see holiday content having merit. As is, it would feel forced. Though I would welcome anything new to do since the current game is so shallow.

KeevanSixx
07-18-2013, 02:07 AM
only thing in cannon at the moment is Armistice day, independence day, Surshana (sp? the never ending hellbug celebration that never seems to end), and whatever the devs come up with in the future......who knows what votan equivalent of Halloween may be, or even christmass/new years eve. there are vast opportunities to play this up....something better than a 10$ suit in a virtual store.

The Oncoming Storm
07-18-2013, 02:10 AM
It'd be nice but I doubt it...

Colif
07-18-2013, 02:30 AM
i wish it had seasons, its weird driving through foggy nights, i assume its summer in us so shouldn't have fog there... its winter where I am so its sort of makes me feel colder :)

JxSiN
07-18-2013, 02:54 AM
i wish it had seasons, its weird driving through foggy nights, i assume its summer in us so shouldn't have fog there... its winter where I am so its sort of makes me feel colder :)

Depends on what part of the US. I lived in Monterey Bay for almost 3 years. It is about 2 hours south of San Fran Bay. It honestly had no seasons (ok, we had rain season, dry season, mist season). But it stayed pretty much the same temperature year round. Fog rolled in almost every day at the same time, you could literally set your watch to it. San Francisco is pretty much the same, just a tad bit chillier. It was however, very rare to see temperatures above 80 F, or below 45 F no matter what time of year it is. So for it to be roughly the same season in the game year round is not far fetched.

EDIT: When I say above 80, the low that night was probably high 50's low 60's. When I say not below 45, I'm referring to about 4 or 5am and the high for that day was usually mid 60's to mid 70's. Man, I really miss living there.

Daholic
07-18-2013, 03:34 AM
OK, Let me rephrase. Will there be any holiday content I don't have to spend 16 bucks for a recolored existing outfit to have? :)

I'm thinking more along the lines of missions, rewards, special events, etc. Not something to take our money (unless it is a brand new armor or vehicle and not a recolor, and not offered after the holiday is over).

Hell no!! What makes you think there would be any type of holiday content? At the rate this game is going, has anything happened that gave you the idea that maybe Trion is ready to do holiday stuff?

Tzar of kaos
07-18-2013, 03:43 AM
I hope they won't do that kind of stuff....
Pumpkins everywhere on october 31th??
This is a sci-fi game taking place in 2046,no need to have things that doesn't fit with the Defiance univers.

KeevanSixx
07-18-2013, 03:56 AM
This is a sci-fi game taking place in 2046,no need to have things that doesn't fit with the Defiance univers.

how would that not fit into the defiance universe? the humans living in new Colombia still cling to the old traditions. instead of pumpkins, kids of all ages will carve whatever vegetable meets the criteria, maybe a votan turnip hybrid, or something similar, and instead of candy, the kids are given loose change, or trinkets, or hand made things as they go door to door.

the VC would counter with some sort of holy day, where children would recite/sing the tenants of the collective, while receiving small parcels of food stuffs to whatever gods they happen to worship, and are expected to place some of their hard won spoils on the family altars as a show of respect to their liros and chosen dieties.....

there are many ways to play something like this......never say never.

N3gativeCr33p
07-18-2013, 05:32 AM

Geez, Scrooge... settle down just a bit. It's all in good fun. ;)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kWNeyC2iAcM/TRHz6wh5CHI/AAAAAAAAAlY/5i0Uo7AJ8Uo/s320/EbenezerScrooge.jpg

Blondin
07-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Holiday contents need works, coding and developing, do you think Trion has enough ressources to allow a team to work on this or should they all work on the bug fixes and dlc ?

Oh, and I hope we wont see pumpkins everywhere, in this post-apocalyptic world I hope the commercial system is down...

Jay Common
07-18-2013, 06:30 AM

They would probably combat this with the dense amount of radiation and fog that covers the stratosphere from the terraforming. They have basically already said that flight and space travel are near impossible, and the only type of weather that would make sense is acid rain. But they really couldn't get away with making rain harmful because there would be literally no place to hide from it, so it would just come off as rain and kinda clash with the lore of the world.

I agree that some type of differentiation would be nice, but we won't see it because of the downsizing of Trion's team, and they would probably use something like I said as an excuse.

Tzar of kaos
07-18-2013, 06:45 AM
"New earth,new rules".
I don't want pandas as playable caracters... ;)

brandileigh
07-18-2013, 07:07 AM

I would welcome ( slightly terraformed ) pumpkins into the world of Defiance whole heartedly.

Remag Div
07-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Trion will most likely take the lazy, easy, and revenue generating route by just adding Christmas-themed outfits and vehicles to the cash shop.

Schnibbly
07-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Ahh Armstice day, I remember that, lighting basket things and watch em fly five feet in the air just to disappear. Good times. Not...

Remag Div
07-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Ahh Armstice day, I remember that, lighting basket things and watch em fly five feet in the air just to disappear. Good times. Not...

Every time an Armistice lantern was lit a Dev lost his job.

The Oncoming Storm
07-18-2013, 08:26 AM

Ouch,
that's not very nice...
you're probably not wrong but still, not nice.

N3gativeCr33p
07-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Teacher says: "every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings."

Atticus Batman
07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Teacher says: "every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings."

And everytime a gun fires, a hellbug eats said angel's wings!

dude26212
07-18-2013, 01:54 PM
halloween: ghost like enemies that can only be harmed by the bmgs. and missions where you and a bunch of npcs load up in a groovy painted truck (the one you use in some missions) and solve the mystery where the big baddie is old man nim in a mask. lets see... eren as fred like, cooper as daph, rosa as velma, and torqe as shaggy and van bach as scooby. as goofy and silly as it would be this would make buyin this game more then worth it

KTCAOP
07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
"New earth,new rules".
I don't want pandas as playable caracters... ;)

But Pandas are cute and awesome!! D=

Bob Blunderbust
07-18-2013, 02:11 PM
I would love to be able to buy xmess armor and so on with real life money and I bet we see that come in

Notturno
07-18-2013, 02:29 PM
We can't even get regular content at this point, let alone holiday themed content. There hasn't been any quality content added to this game since the plague sieges, and that was only for a limited period of time.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of holiday content.

Fancypants
07-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Good thread and it got me to thinking about something on the show.

When Rafe's daughter was going to marry Datek's son (that's about as far as I care about the non-main people in the show), she mentioned something about weddings and how the wedding she had in her head as a girl she realized she could never have because times changed and all. I think it had something to do with the world being changed so drastically, so many humans died and so many things like Super Bowl, Thanksgiving and other things went away that people didn't have time, energy or resources to celebrate them.

I know I might have missed it but I don't remember any of them on the show really even discussing holidays like Xmas and that makes me think the game won't have much of a connection.

Although it might be fun to have a Santa hat on in game messing around or a dog with reindeer antlers, it would seem kinda silly since there's supposed to be a tie-in immersion to the show as a selling point.

They'll probably do it because those kind of corny things are usually in games (don't like em personally), but just saying that if they didn't make holiday content, they've got a pretty good excuse lorewise not to.

Gomly
07-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Leaving Mavis the cleaning lady to do all the work herself.

Poor Mavis.

Chrono499
07-18-2013, 02:54 PM
It'd be nice but I doubt it...

Listen buddy, I don't know who you think you are, but you cant come in HERE talking like that!

ten4
07-18-2013, 03:15 PM
We can't even get regular content at this point, let alone holiday themed content. There hasn't been any quality content added to this game since the plague sieges, and that was only for a limited period of time.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of holiday content.

This sums it up nicely.

JxSiN
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
On the 12th day of Christmas, Trion gave to me

12 weapon nerfs
11 overpriced costumes
10 devs a' lyin'
9 broken patches
8 players remaining
7 weakened cars
6 data recorders
FIVE BRAND NEW PLUSHIES
4 gamebreaking glitches
3 "balance" changes
2 copy/paste answers
And infectors still in PvP

Couldn't resist

Daholic
07-18-2013, 03:33 PM

12 weapon nerfs
11 overpriced costumes
10 devs a' lyin'
9 broken patches
8 players remaining
7 weakened cars
6 data recorders
FIVE BRAND NEW PLUSHIES
4 gamebreaking glitches
3 "balance" changes
2 copy/paste answers

Couldn't resist

^^^Win!!!!!!

Arsenic_Touch
07-18-2013, 03:38 PM

12 weapon nerfs
11 overpriced costumes
10 devs a' lyin'
9 broken patches
8 players remaining
7 weakened cars
6 data recorders
FIVE BRAND NEW PLUSHIES
4 gamebreaking glitches
3 "balance" changes
2 copy/paste answers

Couldn't resist

Brilliant.

KTCAOP
If I get 5 new plushies D=.

Fancypants

12 weapon nerfs
11 overpriced costumes
10 devs a' lyin'
9 broken patches
8 players remaining
7 weakened cars
6 data recorders
FIVE BRAND NEW PLUSHIES
4 gamebreaking glitches
3 "balance" changes
2 copy/paste answers

Couldn't resisthttp://img.pandawhale.com/46616-Jayma-mays-clapping-gif-GLEE-1IN8.gif

*if you look close, she's really saying "JXSIN!"

JxSiN
07-18-2013, 03:43 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/46616-Jayma-mays-clapping-gif-GLEE-1IN8.gif

*if you look close, she's really saying "JXSIN!"

Haha, she is!

Lollie
07-18-2013, 03:47 PM

12 weapon nerfs
11 overpriced costumes
10 devs a' lyin'
9 broken patches
8 players remaining
7 weakened cars
6 data recorders
FIVE BRAND NEW PLUSHIES
4 gamebreaking glitches
3 "balance" changes
2 copy/paste answers

Couldn't resist

That was gold.

N3gativeCr33p
07-19-2013, 05:34 AM

12 weapon nerfs
11 overpriced costumes
10 devs a' lyin'
9 broken patches
8 players remaining
7 weakened cars
6 data recorders
FIVE BRAND NEW PLUSHIES
4 gamebreaking glitches
3 "balance" changes
2 copy/paste answers

Couldn't resist

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r67/N3gativeCr33p/KurtClapping_zpse86c6e1c.gif

Not bad... not bad at all.

JxSiN
07-19-2013, 06:15 PM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r67/N3gativeCr33p/KurtClapping_zpse86c6e1c.gif

Not bad... not bad at all.

I've been Cobained! I will take that as a great honor

Notturno
07-19-2013, 06:36 PM

12 weapon nerfs
11 overpriced costumes
10 devs a' lyin'
9 broken patches
8 players remaining
7 weakened cars
6 data recorders
FIVE BRAND NEW PLUSHIES
4 gamebreaking glitches
3 "balance" changes
2 copy/paste answers

Couldn't resist

http://i.imgur.com/2sRJr.gif

Best thing ever posted on these forums, nothing will ever top it.

Sashas Pain
07-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Here is a question, in the world of defiance with all the different types of aliens and of course the different faiths that humans have today..... what holidays would there be....?

JxSiN
07-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Here is a question, in the world of defiance with all the different types of aliens and of course the different faiths that humans have today..... what holidays would there be....?

You better believe that Christmakwanzukkah will be one of them!

Krauser
07-19-2013, 11:33 PM
I smell a $16 dollar Kwanzaa outfit coming.

dbcameron
07-20-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm kind of torn on Holiday content, it can be done great like Halloween in GW 2; or it can be done horribly like Christmas in GW 2. For the most part I kind of agree with most people that Holidays don't seem to have much use in the world of Defiance but if done right it could add another level of immersion.

Take it for what you will I'm glad there's no word yet on holiday content. I would rather they leave it for when they have time to worry about it and put it in later. Like two years down the road. When most of the bugs are quashed.