PDA

View Full Version : General tips for leveling runners and how to get gold in time trials

Hobothesis
07-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Some of you may not know, but during time trials on almost every straight shot down the path, your boost refills as you enter a gate. Constant non-stop boosting will cut your times down.

Doing the time trials actually levels up your runner skill a lot, all the boosting translates to more xp, and you might even get runner xp on completion(not sure, I just seem to get a ton of xp that can't be solely from boosting)

Trying to nab golds at runner level 3 is possible but hard. Just keep using your runner on your day-to-day travels. Every powerslide, boost, big air, spin, and ram will get you xp. Think you can get a 360 off on a jump? Do it. Think you can get more? Keep turning. I honestly have no more love for my roller anymore. It's bulky, slow to start, and offroad capabilities just suck. Nobody ever just sticks to roads when you can cut through; which is why I made the post about adding some dirt bikes in-game.

Think at level 5 you'll get runner xp mult 5.0x which later helps a lot. The only trouble you'll have now with time trials is getting air only to land in the middle of infected or volge forcing you to head to the map and clicking the restart(another tip if you didn't know)

Omnifarious Xji
07-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Gold in all time trials? Oh God no, please don't. You don't want to have to put yourself through all of that hell just for a black Challenger people. It isn't worth it in the end. It really isn't. May God have mercy on all of your souls if you attempt acing these time trials.

A s0t
07-19-2013, 04:09 PM
when you restart make sure the timer starts at 0 cause a few restarts there will be 3 seconds before you start driving... they might have fixed the +3 seconds glitch in S.F. at the end of the race

f0d
07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
i actually found the time trials quite easy myself

yesterday i got gold in all of the races and most of them first time without even knowing the layout and all i did is what the OP said - i just mash the boost as much as i can and every time i refilled i would keep it boosting till it ran out again (lots of tracks you can boost 80% of them without even letting go of the boost)

also i never really knew what leveled up the vehicles i just used them for stuff and they kept leveling up - its good to know just doing jumps and tricks gets you points :)

KTCAOP
07-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Gold in all time trials? Oh God no, please don't. You don't want to have to put yourself through all of that hell just for a black Challenger people. It isn't worth it in the end. It really isn't. May God have mercy on all of your souls if you attempt acing these time trials.

I found it to be worth it and I found it to be fun. The only one that was really tedious was the five minute one. I dislike the time trials that have to deal with laps and would rather have just a straight line, but it was fun and enjoyable. I enjoyed them much more than the hotshots or the rampages...

f0d
07-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I found it to be worth it and I found it to be fun. The only one that was really tedious was the five minute one. I dislike the time trials that have to deal with laps and would rather have just a straight line, but it was fun and enjoyable. I enjoyed them much more than the hotshots or the rampages...

same here i freakin hated the hotshots and rampages that was needed for it
but the racing was fun (untill an arkfall lands in the middle of the track)

PostApoc
07-19-2013, 06:12 PM
I had a tough time getting silvers on the time trials at the start, and then I just ignored them for a while. But I finally got my runners up to level 20 so I figured I'd try again. Over the last two evenings I was able to gold on all of them.

On all but one or two, if I finished without bailing for missing a gate, I got the gold, and some on my first try through. Tiburon Uplands was by far the hardest, especially with the arkfalls spawning on the course.

I'm not good at the trials by any means, so my basic point is if you take the time to level up your runners, then getting gold on them isn't very hard.

Hobothesis
07-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Time trials really aren't hard at all, like I said once you get a decent runner level its a cakewalk. Only hard part is if you miss a gate, or hit a roadblock setup by some emergency. First time doing the SF trials I got gold w/o even trying. I figured they'd be hard since all the terraformed terrain is rocky as hell. Gold with a lot of time to spare before bumped down to silver.

Not worth it? The pursuits are worth it, thats quite a bit of ego there. Perk points. Extra salvage and money just for hahas(even though it's not much) and it's something different to do. I'll usually do one to take time away from farming the sharpshooting saviour to get some sniper mods.

Speaking of, do they have diminishing returns? Seems I can get gold in a hotshot 3 times then I won't get any mods. Not sure on the timeframe when I'd be able to get them again.

Wish there was something that gave out ar/lmg/smg mods since it's 3 weapons, and the most common types. Vendors never have crap worthwhile. Always some rocket launcher lock turn speed stuff =(

Indra Echo
07-19-2013, 08:46 PM

I did it and only one of these time trials was a super pain-the mine alley one. It's long and when I did it there were multiple instances of Monarchs and mutant mini-gunners blocking my way so I had to keep killing things and re-starting. It took me far less time to get gold in all the time trials than to get gold in the first Dodge Challenge weekend. THAT was totally messed up and I went from level 7 in rollers to 20 in one day.

Most of the time trials are fairly short and easy enough once you get the route set in your mind. And believe me, if I can do it almost anyone can. I'm not saying the car is worth it completely but why not?

Colif
07-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Mine alley is even more fun now with the volge, at least they moved one of the events that used to be at the start line. Annoying being killed by archers as you try to start a race.

If the black hemi was actually different to the others (the only different one is the red pre order, its faster) apart from its color, I might try to get it. As it stands, I have 4 now and they all handle the same from what I can tell. I think the differences may be in amount of damage, if at all.

Islandink
07-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Pro tip:
If you're on the PC, use an xbox controller.

KTCAOP
07-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Pro tip:

Truths. How do you control and do those tight turns on the computer by the way? If aiming is done with a mouse >_<

f0d
07-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Pro tip:

i just cant use a controller at all - it feels weird to me
but i am someone who has never owned a console and had pc's for over 20 years so keyboard/mouse controls feel more natural to me

for some other people it probably is better :)

Keeper Riff
07-20-2013, 03:30 AM
Pro tip:
If you're on the PC, use an xbox controller.I find controller mappings really confusing. It seems weird to me to have left trigger to be used as brake when you move forward but used as accelerate when moving backwards. If RT was accelerate forward, R2+RT was accelerate backward and LT was always brake it would be much more intuitive.

Truths. How do you control and do those tight turns on the computer by the way? If aiming is done with a mouse >_<Turn left (keyboard button), handbrake, boost. Mouse is not used for steering, it just rotates the view to look around.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
07-20-2013, 04:23 AM
You can level your runners faster just by heading over to the Overpass and jumping off that large overhang there several times down into the mutants. Used to be able to do it off of that huge tower but that's since been patched.

Indra Echo
07-20-2013, 06:46 AM
You can level your runners faster just by heading over to the Overpass and jumping off that large overhang there several times down into the mutants. Used to be able to do it off of that huge tower but that's since been patched.

Do you mean that tower downtown that you can climb? If so, I've jumped my atv off of it recently.

Orbital
07-20-2013, 07:24 AM

There is only 3 or 4 that are even somewhat of a challenge at all, the rest is luck with the vehicle nerf and emergencies.

Orbital
07-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Pro tip:

or just change your boost button, after moving mine to be controlled by right hand I had very little troubles getting golds.