PDA

View Full Version : Sweet FX Preset

Albatrion
07-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Bought Defiance during the steam sale and I've got to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, especially since I got to watch the first season first! Or maybe because I saw the first season first? Who knows? Anyway, I made a SweetFX preset that in my opinion, more closely matches the show and next generation lighting. Giving the APPEARENCE of Subsurface Scattering and a better direct lighting curve.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/Alaetreon/ca896fbd-f967-426e-9d4b-cbe696d69d84_zps26850ee9.jpg (http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/Alaetreon/media/ca896fbd-f967-426e-9d4b-cbe696d69d84_zps26850ee9.jpg.html)

For HD comparison screenshots and an installation guide click HERE (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=161706346).

Not sure if this is allowed but to download the preset directly click HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/download/vcsobk2kb3l2hjk/DSSE.zip).

DISCLAIMER: While this "mod" simply improves the visuals of the game and offers no advantage to the player in competitive play, it is still considered a third party program and could get you banned. I have only been using it for a few days in Defiance but have been using it in other mmos and online games for what feels like 2 years now without issue.

KTCAOP
07-19-2013, 05:30 PM
I guess I'm not understanding. What exactly is this?

Valethar
07-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Be careful using it. At one point around release, I think several people ended up with bans for 3rd party software. I honestly don't know if that was ever clarified as something we're allowed to use, however. Wouldn't hurt to have someone who knows for sure check in and let us know for sure. :)

Albatrion
07-19-2013, 05:43 PM
I guess I'm not understanding. What exactly is this?

It's Post Processing. Image upload failed on my part. With the image it should be much more clear what it is. Just thought I'd share something that improved my time with the game.

Albatrion
07-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Be careful using it. At one point around release, I think several people ended up with bans for 3rd party software. I honestly don't know if that was ever clarified as something we're allowed to use, however. Wouldn't hurt to have someone who knows for sure check in and let us know for sure. :)

Been using SweetFX for a looong time and over that time there was never a clear answer except from the BF3 community managers who said users would be banned for it's use. I still use it in BF3 to this day :P I don't think we'll ever get a definitive answer as injectors are a tricky beast. Regardless, I should place a disclaimer on this post.

Sanguinesun
07-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Been using SweetFX for a looong time and over that time there was never a clear answer except from the BF3 community managers who said users would be banned for it's use. I still use it in BF3 to this day :P I don't think we'll ever get a definitive answer as injectors are a tricky beast. Regardless, I should place a disclaimer on this post.

Use it at your own risk, as valethar said, there was a ton of bans handed out the first week of launch n the next due to sweetfx and tweaking the interface in various ways that seemed to be frowned upon. Since then someone every once in a while crops up talking about using it and then all goes quiet. Take that for what you will. If I were you, I'd get confirmation from CS that its ok to be safe.

Albatrion
07-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Use it at your own risk, as valethar said, there was a ton of bans handed out the first week of launch n the next due to sweetfx and tweaking the interface in various ways that seemed to be frowned upon. Since then someone every once in a while crops up talking about using it and then all goes quiet. Take that for what you will. If I were you, I'd get confirmation from CS that its ok to be safe.

Hmm, not too fond of being quite. Think I'll take this post down before I lose my account. I'd hate to lose my Rift characters as well. Thanks for the info.

Orbital
07-20-2013, 07:07 AM
I have been using it for the majority of season one, and I must say I could not go back to playing the bland game without it. It really makes the game look A LOT better, I wish they would improve the PC client at least since most rigs can handle more of what they said they were going to put in the game (weather and what not, not just arkfalls). It doesn't alter game files in anyway, if I were to get in trouble for it, I would think it would of triggered something by now.

Sanguinesun
07-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Using the search feature key words: sweetfx ban, you can see there were quite a few threads in the first couple of weeks about 3rd party prog use bans. Trion will not declare which programs are or are not acceptable(evidently to keep those hacking guessing I assume).

Here is one such thread: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?15535-SweetFx-bannable-or-safe

If you're using such programs or any others to give you a competitive edge in pvp or other activities, they're probably going to suspend you. Highlighting players from far distances and through objects for example and more.

There was also a rash of people using another program too that were getting the ban hammer that was letting them shoot through walls, auto aim, and 1 shot folks too but I forget the name of that one. Some people banned during those first weeks were allowed to play again with statements that their ban was reviewed and they were reinstated(making it sound like they were using a broad sweep detection program.

All in all again, its your account. Maybe you'll be one of those people who brags they've used xyz and never gotten a ban. But you also may end up being one of those that does and are never heard from again.

Orbital
07-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Just saying, at this point they would be banning a large portion of their player base. If it gave people a competitive advantage I could see the need to halt its use, but it doesn't increase your view distance or anything like that. It just makes the game look good.

Lasse B
07-20-2013, 10:10 AM
We don't really know if the bans were issued because of SweetFX. Taking human nature into account, which makes us want to appear better than we really are, people who claimed they were banned because of SweetFX are likely to have been banned for something else entirely.

There is also a 41 pages long, unlocked, moved by a moderator, thread about SweetFX in the tech section: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?13695-SweetFX

These circumstances hint towards a certain SweetFX friendliness, but that's of course no proof whatsoever.