PDA

View Full Version : PVP Kill Type Terminology?

nathanpbutler
07-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Can someone provide a brief rundown of PVP kill terminology? For instance, in Capture and Hold, we have attack and defend kills, based on whether your presence is helping to capture a node or if you kill someone whose presences was starting to capture one of yours. I believe a revenge kill is if it is the person who most recently killed you.

What about "Avenger" that is required for one of the PVP pursuits? Others?

ErikR68
07-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Avenger kill is when you avenge a team member's death by killing the person that just killed him.

nathanpbutler
07-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Avenger kill is when you avenge a team member's death by killing the person that just killed him.

Is that within a particular time limit? You'd figure that would be killing pretty much anyone, as long as they have killed at least one other player, otherwise.

SaneFail
07-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Avenger kill = killing an opponent immediately after they've killed a teammate (within a few seconds)
Rescue kill = killing an opponent who is attacking a teammate who's shields are depleted
Revenge kill = killing an the opponent who last killed you before anyone else does

Note: Due to nano effects/infector dot and bugs it is possible to register an avenger or rescue kill on yourself. Somehow I once registered both by killing the guy who killed me...

Indra Echo
07-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Avenger kill = killing an opponent immediately after they've killed a teammate (within a few seconds)
Rescue kill = killing an opponent who is attacking a teammate who's shields are depleted
Revenge kill = killing an the opponent who last killed you before anyone else does

Note: Due to nano effects/infector dot and bugs it is possible to register an avenger or rescue kill on yourself. Somehow I once registered both by killing the guy who killed me...

Yes this last thing used to happen all the time but then I suddenly started seeing revenge kills when I never had before.

It's also important to note for those who don't know and some don't-those capture and hold kills only apply to Freight Yard and not Shadow Wars.

So for the sake of clarity, Deathmatch kills must occur in Team Deathmatch games, Capture and Hold in Freightyard, competitive multiplayer kills can occur in any competitive match-Team Deathmatch, Freightyard, and Shadow Wars.

Capture and Hold Defense Kills-in Freight yard at a point your team has fully captured-doesn't work if there's any part of a circle around the little square. Your team must own it.

Capture and Hold Attack Kills-same place, same thing but it's on a point the other team fully owns. It won't count if there's any part of a circle around the little square.

Kills while EGO power is active. This one is stinky. Well they all are but...if you use Cloak it can be tricky. Usually cloak kills don't work for me. This means your EGO power must be in effect (duh) when the other player dies, but if you shoot under cloak, cloak drops so the kill needs to happen on your first shot or it won't count. Shadowed Strike can help here and others can suggest uh, shotguns that will get the kill. I don't use it myself. The only other one I've tried is Overcharge but again get the kill while it's still active. You don't have to kill with the equipped weapon but the other player must die and you must get the kill before Overcharge goes down.

The above is representative of my experiences but others may have had their own. I also want to note that the game stinks at giving full credit for kills within the contracts. I've played games where I clearly saw that I got 3 EGO kills and got credit for 1. Be aware of this and prepared to do more than you have to.

Another fun fact is that Echelon Contracts are the first I've noted that give you partial credit for finishing the contract. If you don't finish a daily that would give you 10 points, you can still be awarded 4 points or 6.

dbcameron
07-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Just a little side note about power kills, I've noticed with decoy that as long as my decoy is out I get a power kill. There are times that I've thrown it out in the main building in Observatory and hoped outside to go hunting. Every kill I got while the timer said my decoy was out counted even though I was nowhere near it. Maybe it's technically an exploit that needs to be addressed...

Maitreakow
07-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Capture and Hold Defense Kills-in Freight yard at a point your team has fully captured-doesn't work if there's any part of a circle around the little square. Your team must own it.

Capture and Hold Attack Kills-same place, same thing but it's on a point the other team fully owns. It won't count if there's any part of a circle around the little square.

Was not aware of the requirement to fully own/have the other team own the point. Maybe that is why I have had such a hard time, but I swear I have received an Attack while I was on the point actively turning it from Red to Blue.

The biggest pain for me on this one, is that a Revenge/Avenger/Rescuer kill will take precedence over a Defend/Attack kill :(

Tekrunner
07-22-2013, 08:36 AM
The above is representative of my experiences but others may have had their own. I also want to note that the game stinks at giving full credit for kills within the contracts. I've played games where I clearly saw that I got 3 EGO kills and got credit for 1. Be aware of this and prepared to do more than you have to.

I've had entire matches where my EGO kills just wouldn't register at all. I always use overcharge in PvP so EGO kills should be pretty straightforward, no funny "kill out of cloak" business. Then on the next match it would work normally again.

Indra Echo
07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I've had entire matches where my EGO kills just wouldn't register at all. I always use overcharge in PvP so EGO kills should be pretty straightforward, no funny "kill out of cloak" business. Then on the next match it would work normally again.

Yes, agreed. I've had overcharge kills not work as well. This and the really inaccurate scoreboards throughout the game make it difficult for me to even consider taking scores seriously. It's why I always reject the notion (unless the game learns how to count) to make rewards be tied to scores and scoreboard placement or Trion's conjecture that players might like some "best at PvP" tournaments. I'd never be the best anyway though I can rack up kills, but I think it would be a mistake to not fix the game's errors first.

The game needs to accurately record kills and kill types, revives, and damage (for arkfalls and coop) before they do more competition. I even have to question some of the challenge hour things (not that players are cheating or are not accurately being ranked) because the game is so inaccurate at other times. Don't get me wrong I love being the top scorer at arkfalls and in coop and I revive a lot of people along the way too-I'm a team player. But, I know that at times I don't deserve it and at other times I don't even make the list when I should be near the top. I've gotten the kill on lots of foes only to have the game say I killed 4. Not a complaint but an observation and something that should be fixed.