PDA

View Full Version : Is Defiance really worth it?

Mays
03-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Games are getting real dry now onwards, really. Bioshock I've completed. April only sees Dead Island: Riptide which is the first one but on a new map. That's really it until later this year.

So if I were to buy Defiance (on Steam is the best offer with the pre-purchase bonuses?) would I get long on it before it becomes a dead game? Is it really worth it? It's obvious it won't be a bursting MMO with tons of players in a handful of months.

PS, is it an RPG? I'm certain it is, but the magic knowledge genies on this forum do believe it isn't.

Ngamok
03-28-2013, 09:26 AM
The game will be around a while. Will it be around 2 years? Who knows. But for $60 (get it on Steam !!) it's a good value if you play it 2-3 months. If you play it longer, even better.

mcwjimbo
03-28-2013, 09:27 AM
get it, worth it

enough said

Jardian
03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Its a shooter mmo open world. You have a char that char is you so yes its a rpg. If you mean magic swords and such then no. As for what you say is obvious not sure if yoru just being a troll or what. Because that amuses me since the game will evolve as the TV show does not grow stale.

Mays
03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Its a shooter mmo open world. You have a char that char is you so yes its a rpg. If you mean magic swords and such then no. As for what you say is obvious not sure if yoru just being a troll or what. Because that amuses me since the game will evolve as the TV show does not grow stale.
Star Wars' MMO didn't do very well did it?

Sytek
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Without getting biased i would say that Defiance will last you much longer then your average single player game its alot like borderlands but with a very very big server. Its a MMOTPS not an MMORPG though it shares similarities with a MMORPG its not quite the same. Think of any shooter with Co op but bigger if the PVP sides of things last and remain fun i can see Defiance lasting a good while. Yeap i believe its worth the price tag especially with the steam bonuses

kirix
03-28-2013, 09:33 AM
1. yes it is worth it. and no 1 can say if a new MMO will be good or bad a few months down the line just from beta testing. also dont forget it has the TV show to so it will have constant updates / events, also its a big open world shooter so u just roam about and do as you please with no raids forcing you to play certain times for several hours to "progress".

2. no its not an MMO RPG its an MMO TPS (third person shooter), no rpg elements for combat (skills and abilitys) its just pick up a weapon point and shoot, just like any other shooter game.

3. we cant decide what games you like. watch some youtube read the forums and try it, and yes this close to release steam would be your best bet for a digital download, alot of ppl wont be getting a copy of the Ultimate Edition (super mega collecters edtion) untill the 12th of april.
and a standard digital is only 35. i can tell you will get a few hundred hours gameplay out of defiance which is like a gazzioln times longer then any other singleplayer game.

Jardian
03-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Star Wars' MMO didn't do very well did it?

Which one have been 2 I can think of first one rocked 2nd one is still going so im missing your point.

Mays
03-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Which one have been 2 I can think of first one rocked 2nd one is still going so im missing your point.
2nd one started out as a "brilliant" MMO that you paid full price for, and then went to F2P. That's flopping.

Mays
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
1. yes it is worth it. and no 1 can say if a new MMO will be good or bad a few months down the line just from beta testing. also dont forget it has the TV show to so it will have constant updates / events, also its a big open world shooter so u just roam about and do as you please with no raids forcing you to play certain times for several hours to "progress".

2. no its not an MMO RPG its an MMO TPS (third person shooter), no rpg elements for combat (skills and abilitys) its just pick up a weapon point and shoot, just like any other shooter game.

3. we cant decide what games you like. watch some youtube read the forums and try it, and yes this close to release steam would be your best bet for a digital download, alot of ppl wont be getting a copy of the Ultimate Edition (super mega collecters edtion) untill the 12th of april.
and a standard digital is only 35. i can tell you will get a few hundred hours gameplay out of defiance which is like a gazzioln times longer then any other singleplayer game.
I do like most games. I liked Borderlands, only liked it, and this is basically Borderlands with a few additions. That's why I'm not sure.

Archangel
03-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Games are getting real dry now onwards, really. Bioshock I've completed. April only sees Dead Island: Riptide which is the first one but on a new map. That's really it until later this year.

So if I were to buy Defiance (on Steam is the best offer with the pre-purchase bonuses?) would I get long on it before it becomes a dead game? Is it really worth it? It's obvious it won't be a bursting MMO with tons of players in a handful of months.

PS, is it an RPG? I'm certain it is, but the magic knowledge genies on this forum do believe it isn't.

It is a MMOTPS with RPG elements but there are no roles you pick to play as in the beginning. everyone starts off pretty equal and through your weapon choices and the perks you can decide the way you want to play.

It is worth it. $60 to get well over 200 hours of play is worth it. Most games like FF titles and Bioshock and others would go for 40-70 hours before you complete the main story. This game will be forever growing so you have a lot to look forward too.

Fiancee
03-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Hop on board, mate. Later this year Elder Scroll Online comes, after that Titan.

Mays
03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Hop on board, mate. Later this year Elder Scroll Online comes, after that Titan.
I don't think Elder Scroll Online will be actually that good. Skyrim was OK, but not brilliant. That's off-topic, though!

Buruko
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM

Comparing Defiance to single player AAA titles is really not a proper comparison as the game is an open world shooter and a MMO experience all in one. Not to mention the meta tie in to the television show that will keep the content fresh as the game ages. I mean your looking at an evolving story with a game aimed at adding new free content on a Seasonal basis, not the 1 to 2 year lag time of a big *** expansion that just adds more levels to gain and a few new abilities.

Is Defiance really worth it? I myself say not only is it worth it, it's breaking new ground looking beyond whats been done and trying to do something unique. In the end though you have to decide for yourself, as will every other person that makes a thread like this (about 4 I think so far) but give it a fair shake this isn't a single player title, it's not just multiplayer, but it is definitely massive.

Fiancee
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't think Elder Scroll Online will be actually that good. Skyrim was OK, but not brilliant. That's off-topic, though!

Its THAT good. Do some research. Its 100+ mill game. I dont know even where to start how good its.

Mays
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Its THAT good. Do some research. Its 100+ mill game. I dont know even where to start how good its.
I've done research. If you want an MMO, get Guild Wars 2.

Fiancee
I've done research. If you want an MMO, get Guild Wars 2.

Played and finished.

mcwjimbo
well, MMORPG.com listed ESO & Wildstars as the 2 they said watch for and expect the most from = their choice for top games 2013 especially after they played demos

gonna have to go google Titan mentioned by Fiancee cause hadn't heard of that 1 yet

Fiancee
03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
well, MMORPG.com listed EoS & Wildstars as the 2 they said watch for and expect the most from = their choice for top games 2013 especially after they played demos

gonna have to go google Titan mentioned by Fiancee cause hadn't heard of that 1 yet

Titan is basically Blizzard's new MMO. It should be announced any time, probably this year.

mcwjimbo
03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Titan is basically Blizzard's new MMO. It should be announced any time, probably this year.

yeah googled and has me curious from what little i could find on the uber top secret blizzard project :-) will keep my eyes peeled for it

Maclawa
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
2nd one started out as a "brilliant" MMO that you paid full price for, and then went to F2P. That's flopping.

Since going F2P its gained 2 million players and a new expansion comes out soon. Not flopping at all...yet.

Mays
03-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Since going F2P its gained 2 million players and a new expansion comes out soon. Not flopping at all...yet.

It had potential.

Oh, and the RIFT you get given via Steam.. you still need to pay for monthly subscriptions don't you? Or do you get like, 1-3 months free?

Ensu
03-28-2013, 11:54 AM

I'm one of those grumpy old folk who still prefer Morrowind.

Defy
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
yeah its definetly worth it

Mays
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
It had potential.

Oh, and the RIFT you get given via Steam.. you still need to pay for monthly subscriptions don't you? Or do you get like, 1-3 months free?

Anyone want to explain?

ironhands
03-28-2013, 12:07 PM
It had potential.

pretty sure it comes with a 30 day sub

Rush
03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Without getting biased i would say that Defiance will last you much longer then your average single player game its alot like borderlands but with a very very big server. Its a MMOTPS not an MMORPG though it shares similarities with a MMORPG its not quite the same. Think of any shooter with Co op but bigger if the PVP sides of things last and remain fun i can see Defiance lasting a good while. Yeap i believe its worth the price tag especially with the steam bonuses

it is NOTHING like borderlands, FFS

Mays
03-28-2013, 12:21 PM
it is NOTHING like borderlands, FFS

It's pretty darn similar.

Durva360
03-28-2013, 12:25 PM

You are wrong. If you played the beta you should know that there is a skill tree which uses EGO points to unlock skills that do affect your overall effectiveness and there are 4 main skills

Rush
03-28-2013, 12:31 PM
It's pretty darn similar.

nah, might have some of the same ideas but its not borderlands, period. there is so much more to this game then any of its kind.