PDA

View Full Version : How is this game not still in beta?

Scyris
07-22-2013, 04:47 PM
I need to ask this because the game still has a wealth of bugs that I would consider beta-quality, as in bugs that should not be here in a release title, I mean I have missions that keep bugging out, and I have to redo them, enemies getting stuck in walls and you cannot hit them almost failed a co-op map before we figured out we could use those healbeam guns to hit the guy in the wall cuz 1 pixel of the bosses foot was sticking out. The UI is still horrible to use on the pc, stuff like salvaging stuff into ark salvage needs to be redone so it doesn't take so long, maybe an optiont o do it in bulk and u checkmark the items you wanna salvage then it does them akk at once. Bascally its just a weath of bugs that most games fix in beta, Note: these bugs are not in new content its the older stuff, I am still unable to complete The Departed rewind mission because it keeps glitching out after Nolan comes out, the waypoint is there, but nothing happens when I go near it, there is supposed to be a cutscene the second he comes out, I do not get that either. Does Trion bother to fix this stuff anymore or did they just say **** it and leave it there?

IAMVILELENT
07-22-2013, 05:08 PM
I need to ask this because the game still has a wealth of bugs that I would consider beta-quality, as in bugs that should not be here in a release title, I mean I have missions that keep bugging out, and I have to redo them, enemies getting stuck in walls and you cannot hit them almost failed a co-op map before we figured out we could use those healbeam guns to hit the guy in the wall cuz 1 pixel of the bosses foot was sticking out. The UI is still horrible to use on the pc, stuff like salvaging stuff into ark salvage needs to be redone so it doesn't take so long, maybe an optiont o do it in bulk and u checkmark the items you wanna salvage then it does them akk at once. Bascally its just a weath of bugs that most games fix in beta, Note: these bugs are not in new content its the older stuff, I am still unable to complete The Departed rewind mission because it keeps glitching out after Nolan comes out, the waypoint is there, but nothing happens when I go near it, there is supposed to be a cutscene the second he comes out, I do not get that either. Does Trion bother to fix this stuff anymore or did they just say **** it and leave it there?

There is a magic jar in their office, every time you buy bits, it fills with angel blood. Once the jar is full, they reach into a black hat, and pull out a piece of red paper with a submitted user bug on it. If no one likes it or it looks to difficult to fix, they put the paper back in the hat, pour the magic jar out in the toilet, and wait for it to refill again before picking another one piece of paper.

Krauser
07-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Short answer? It didn't get fixed because they had to release the game before the show started.

noladude
07-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Allow me to cry as well:

WAAAAAAAH! AWAAAAAAH! WAH! WAAAAAAH!

Together our tears will gather themselves to form a new dev T1000 style.

weirdphil
07-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Shorter answer: Making games is hard.

Scyris
07-22-2013, 07:43 PM

This depends on what position. like a grahaphics person probally has it a ton easier than say a programmer would.

A s0t
07-22-2013, 09:21 PM
they are to busy nerfing guns and taking out charlie. to fix bugs

X64
07-22-2013, 09:22 PM

Shortest answer: whining is easy for other players. lol.

dominad
07-22-2013, 09:25 PM
shortest answer: It is what it is. Like it or lump it.

TwwiX
07-22-2013, 09:33 PM
If you haven't realized it by now. This game isn't much more than a half assed marketing scheme for SyFy's cliched melodrama of a science fiction show.

It's functional and that's all you're going to get.

Valethar
07-22-2013, 09:35 PM
I need to ask this because the game still has a wealth of bugs that I would consider beta-quality

Sadly, quite a few of the bugs you're running into were in the Alpha. They got the money already. Now they spend their time with overpriced recolors for the Bit store and dangling the DLC in front of everyone while the date keeps getting pushed back.

A s0t
07-22-2013, 09:35 PM
If you haven't realized it by now. This game isn't much more than a half assed marketing scheme for SyFy's cliched melodrama of a science fiction show.

It's functional and that's all you're going to get.stop being mean to trion, they have feelings too

Blondin
07-23-2013, 12:38 AM
I don't have any of this bugs, my game must be in beta 2 may be...

The thing that bother me is about salvage matrix, I would like to salvage in bulk and it's true that UI is horrible, but the problem is that the game is crossplatform, and it seems that we'll never have a special UI for pc, so it's shtako...

Demondred
07-23-2013, 05:04 AM
This depends on what position. like a grahaphics person probally has it a ton easier than say a programmer would.
That's incorrect, the programmer has the easier job. It only seems harder because people think of programming as sorcery. Fact is, a programmer will have a laid out set of instructions that he needs to code, usually given down by a software engineer or lead programmer designing the architecture, and all he has to do is build it... Bugs usually happen because the designer didn't think of something and gave instructions doomed to fail. This is because programs as large and complex as MMOs are too vast a scope for an individual programmer to know all the issues that may crop up, so they depend on the designers to do that and keep their head wrapped around what's needed to function smoothly.

The only hard part about being a programmer is listening to all the yelling and blaming they receive for not being soothsayers able to divinate what the designer or producer wants the code to actually do. When your boss knows nothing about programming but he's the one giving you instructions on what to program, BAD THINGS ARE BOUND TO HAPPEN!

Programming is a lot like math. It's easy to do if you know how to set up the equation. But if you're not the one creating the equation and are being asked to solve it, you can only hope to god that it's solvable.

gobi42
07-23-2013, 06:00 AM
That's incorrect, the programmer has the easier job. It only seems harder because people think of programming as sorcery. Fact is, a programmer will have a laid out set of instructions that he needs to code, usually given down by a software engineer or lead programmer designing the architecture, and all he has to do is build it... Bugs usually happen because the designer didn't think of something and gave instructions doomed to fail. This is because programs as large and complex as MMOs are too vast a scope for an individual programmer to know all the issues that may crop up, so they depend on the designers to do that and keep their head wrapped around what's needed to function smoothly.

The only hard part about being a programmer is listening to all the yelling and blaming they receive for not being soothsayers able to divinate what the designer or producer wants the code to actually do. When your boss knows nothing about programming but he's the one giving you instructions on what to program, BAD THINGS ARE BOUND TO HAPPEN!

Programming is a lot like math. It's easy to do if you know how to set up the equation. But if you're not the one creating the equation and are being asked to solve it, you can only hope to god that it's solvable.

Really? this whole statement shows me you know nuttin about programing and have never done it before in your life. That is why they have a dev. team some devs work pn part a some on part b and some on part c, dev in part a have no contection to parts b or c and vise vera, they then submit all of thier code to another set of devs who complie and test and send bug reports back to which ever one of the parts the bug was in, they fix the bug and resubmit it, and compiling and testing are started again, this is the proscess that is repeated until there are no bugs(which in real life will never happen). Pleaze tell me how designing textures and polys is harder? They need to use thier art skills.

Caswallawn
07-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Allow me to cry as well:

WAAAAAAAH! AWAAAAAAH! WAH! WAAAAAAH!

Together our tears will gather themselves to form a new dev T1000 style.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/psychokiller_photos/tears.jpg

Demondred
07-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Really? this whole statement shows me you know nuttin about programing and have never done it before in your life. That is why they have a dev. team some devs work pn part a some on part b and some on part c, dev in part a have no contection to parts b or c and vise vera, they then submit all of thier code to another set of devs who complie and test and send bug reports back to which ever one of the parts the bug was in, they fix the bug and resubmit it, and compiling and testing are started again, this is the proscess that is repeated until there are no bugs(which in real life will never happen). Pleaze tell me how designing textures and polys is harder? They need to use thier art skills.

Your statement shows you know nothing about game programming nor have ever done it before in your life. The first part of what you stated is precisely the same as what I stated, which leads me to believe you have comprehension issues typical of today's ineptly educated youth. The fact that programmer A has no idea what programmer B is working on yet these parts are all of the same whole is what leads to a number of errors or design flaws. This is why the strength of the design document is perhaps the most vital element of maintaining a bug free environment. It's far less expensive to design with compatibility in mind from the start rather than to attempt to piece together a puzzle with dissimilar pieces. Debugging hell is what leads to early release games being bug ridden, the time it takes to iron out the issues exceeds what the producer is willing to allow for, and Defiance had an even stricter schedule because of the tv show it's linked to. The second segment of your process is something you'll find in actual software companies, not game development.

Most of the programming for game developers is low level and done with automated tools which is why they operate using EXISTING game engines or hire a third party software team to create a new one. Defiance, for example, obtained the rights to use Havok Physics. The tools used for world generation write code themselves using basic wizards, the only reason the programming staff exists is to script event hooks and link systemic features to the main body. Heck, your average MMO programmer only needs to understand databasing and LUA, and you can verify that by checking the requirements listed for the companies hiring them.

As for why art is harder? Programming is either right or wrong, techniques can be used to improve efficiency and that's about it. Art is itself a skill that varies as wildly as the number of artists and unlike programming which is a minimalist's game for MMO development, artists are hard-pressed to create visually stunning material on a low polygon count budget.

Please don't compare what banks and internet companies call upon with the design procedures video games are known for. Apples and oranges. Also, Masters of Software Engineering from Rochester Institute of Technology.

gobi42
07-23-2013, 07:19 AM
My apologizes sir. Congrats on the degree. You are also correct in the fact that i have never programmed games in my life, as i never stated that i had. I have however done programming on android os and other os (nuttin major, just tweaks to my personal Kubuntu) You sir, are also correct on the design. however art is easy if your an artist, programming is hard. I can't draw or design, so i program cause it's easier. but yet design is easier to learn than programming. This is what i based my post on.

If all a programmer need to know is LUA, Then why would you call them a programmer and not a Database engineer?

Hope499
07-23-2013, 07:29 AM
they are to busy nerfing guns and taking out charlie. to fix bugs

lol, CHARLES!!!!!!!!!!!

CHARLES COME BACK!!!!

LEAD THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE AS THEIR MASTER AND RULER.....

Dana Dawn
07-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Oh my god: "Programming you do either wrong or right".
If you are a programmer you are a mediocre one. Someone who knows just enough to be extremely dangerous in a work environment.

Yes, bugs are bugs, everyone makes mistakes and there are many lines of code involved.

But there are more subtle things, designing and using the correct algorithms. Performance of code can cause bugs to show up.

In the 30 years of working as a software engineer, I've never been in a shop where there are architects who tell programmers exactly what to do. Maybe you have to do such things if you are using 3rd parties to write your software.

Also if they used Havok, than that means that they have build most of the engine themselves, since Havok is only a physics simulation. They still needed to do the graphics engine, scripting engine and AI themselves.

Gomly
07-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Anyone else ever noticed, that in every online game to date, a lot of the folk that complain are programmers or claim to have vast knowledge of it?

It always amuses me.

Tyrannos
07-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone,

We feel that this thread has degenerated into a non-constructive discussion, so we've closed it. Please remember to keep your comments respectful and constructive at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!