PDA

View Full Version : Stop calling them toons

velvet
03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
You aren't in DCUO anymore this is a big boy game and big boys play with avatars. Toons are for Saturday mornings not kicking in mutie faces

Jardian
03-28-2013, 01:15 PM
You aren't in DCUO anymore this is a big boy game and big boys play with avatars. Toons are for Saturday mornings not kicking in mutie faces

Got bad news for you some been calling them toons long before DCUO ROFL.

velvet
03-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Maybe so ......but it just feels so out of place in this game.......its like calling g.I. joe a doll

HansKisaragi
03-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Been called Toons since the dawn of MMOs.

Masoner
03-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Been called Toons since the dawn of MMOs.

I disagree... you make a character in MMO's and play through the story.

Character > anything else

I too dislike the calling of characters "toons" cause by definition a "toon" is something that isn't taken seriously, and everyone spends 100's of hours a week developing their character in the game which in no way means it's not being taken seriously.

But if you wish to change peoples vocabulary then you need to just start calling your character "character". If you tell them to stop then people get hard nosed about it and wont.

TRAP
03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Got bad news for you some been calling them toons long before DCUO ROFL.

Being new to the MMO thing I assumed this must be the case. But at first I thought what toons? I dont know what cartoons they are talking about, where are these cartoon? LOL

velvet
03-28-2013, 01:59 PM
I disagree... you make a character in MMO's and play through the story.

Character > anything else

I too dislike the calling of characters "toons" cause by definition a "toon" is something that isn't taken seriously, and everyone spends 100's of hours a week developing their character in the game which in no way means it's not being taken seriously.

But if you wish to change peoples vocabulary then you need to just start calling your character "character". If you tell them to stop then people get hard nosed about it and wont.

Agreed in full calling them toons is almost derogatory and shows a lack of maturity and pride

Vuule
03-28-2013, 02:01 PM
I prefer to use 'Characters'.

TRAP
03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Same characters ftw and I couldnt see myself calling them toons. My character is badass!!

Irres169
03-28-2013, 02:04 PM
G.I. Joe IS a doll!

velvet
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Same characters ftw and I couldnt see myself calling them toons. My character is badass!!

Yes thank you. Its pretty hard for a "toon" to be badass.

velvet
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
G.I. Joe IS a doll!

O.o did that just happen?

lPATT
03-28-2013, 02:07 PM
I love the term toons ... even if i don't use it all , i might start using it more now since it annoy some of you =D

Paladin
03-28-2013, 02:08 PM
I love using the term toons....i never knew there was such hate just for a word...people need to be more lenient.
I will die before saying characters instead of toons.

TRAP
03-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Yes thank you. Its pretty hard for a "toon" to be badass.

Right and thats what I was thinking LOL

TRAP
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I love using the term toons....i never knew there was such hate just for a word...people need to be more lenient.
I will die before saying characters instead of toons.

I dont hate....but to each their own and I personally would never call mine a toon because when I think toon I think Bugs Bunny or something like that.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
G.I. Joe is not a doll it is an action figure. lol

and yes calling your avatar/character a toon is kinda like saying your "Toon" is a big joke and here only for comic relief.

I can't wait to make my toon for defiance /Sarcasim

Irres169
03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
It is a doll with Kung-fu grip. The rest is just society's insecurities.

regarding "toon", I've honestly never heard anyone call it that. I like to call him "mini-me"

Wabbit
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
This might help (http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/77192/what-is-the-source-for-calling-your-characters-toons)

6Strummer
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
"Toon" doesn't bother me, though I don't use the term myself. I always say "my character" or even "me", since I always try to make characters look like me when possible. Defiance doesn't have as many customization options as I hoped, but I'll do my best.

Mur
03-28-2013, 02:27 PM

They have been toons for several decades now, ever since MUDs were the predominant MMO's.

velvet
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
That proves that saying toon is a disconnection to your character. Thus "toon" is derogatory to the game

6Strummer
03-28-2013, 02:34 PM
"Derogatory" may be a bit much, but I respect the defense of your character's honor.

TRAP
03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
That proves that saying toon is a disconnection to your character. Thus "toon" is derogatory to the game

Yes and my character wouldnt appreciate that or stand for it.

Mur
03-28-2013, 02:42 PM
I typically consider other people toons in general, within games and IRL.

DepreszD
03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Just like you say "Characters", someone say "Avatar", and "Toon", so as long as you know what people are talking about it shouldn't matter. Everyone is from different times, and areas and language will always be difffrent, but as long as we understand and relate we continue to make new terms and be friends.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Really the person who uses toon to describe there Avatar/Character is a gamer that has multiple created PC's (player Characters) in the game and spends no real time on any one specific PC. Where as me I refer to my PC as my character often times referring to it by name or "me" I usually do not have a second or more characters and devote all my time while online to that one PC.

I would think having say 3 "Toons" as they call it means they have three PC's that they have divided leveling exp among so lets say you are level 300 ego or whatever they are prolly level 100 on all three. You have SMG level 5 they prolly have level 2-3 on all three though each one is specific to one weapon style.

In the long run I would say These toons will be inferior to those that refer to the PC as a avatar or character and take pride in the development of there said character. I could be wrong and reading to much into the sociology and psychology of a game lol

Masoner
03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Just like you say "Characters", someone say "Avatar", and "Toon", so as long as you know what people are talking about it shouldn't matter. Everyone is from different times, and areas and language will always be difffrent, but as long as we understand and relate we continue to make new terms and be friends.

Well I understand that... but I all ways call them characters I know this sounds odd but I think it shows them more respect as part of the story.

Toon on the other hand make them sound less important.. almost comical and useless.

Iceflier
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm just gonna end the thread here and say, quit arguing over something as simple as "IS IT TOONS OR CHARACTERS?" Just say that's cool, and respect everyone's word choice on what they call there characters. I call my pc's characters or sometimes when mad I'll say dust maggots, but that's beside the point. It doesn't matter if you say/type toon or character.

DepreszD
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Really the person who uses toon to describe there Avatar/Character is a gamer that has multiple created PC's (player Characters) in the game and spends no real time on any one specific PC. Where as me I refer to my PC as my character often times referring to it by name or "me" I usually do not have a second or more characters and devote all my time while online to that one PC.

I would think having say 3 "Toons" as they call it means they have three PC's that they have divided leveling exp among so lets say you are level 300 ego or whatever they are prolly level 100 on all three. You have SMG level 5 they prolly have level 2-3 on all three though each one is specific to one weapon style.

In the long run I would say These toons will be inferior to those that refer to the PC as a avatar or character and take pride in the development of there said character. I could be wrong and reading to much into the sociology and psychology of a game lol

Yea I too use "Character". I dont ever have a second or Alt character to play.. I devote 100% of my time to my one badass

Paladin
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Honestly, I only see people use toons when they are describing their entire set of alts and than just refer to themselves when they have 1 character.

velvet
03-28-2013, 02:57 PM

In the long run I would say These toons will be inferior to those that refer to the PC as a avatar or character and take pride in the development of there said character. I could be wrong and reading to much into the sociology and psychology of a game lol you just hit it on the head. "Toons" are never as good cause they get less time and care I always use person and most of the time they look like me i don't make a new one unless I mess up and it can't be fixed or I max out no one needs six or eight diff characters for one game cause none of them will amount to the one that a single pc player will have

JagerMyk
03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Anyone who disrespects another player and tries to dictate how they should play the game is simply wrong, period.

velvet
03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Anyone who disrespects another player and tries to dictate how they should play the game is simply wrong, period.

No one has shown disrespect here its an open debate.

Paladin
03-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Everyone's stating by calling your character a toon you're stating its inferior. It's all personal preference, albeit an incorrect use, it's still however they want to call it. It doesn't matter what you call it but from what I've seen in the majority when people are describing their multiple alts they call them toons, doesn't mean they are inferior, it's just said because it lets you know "oh they put time in multiple pcs". Rarely do I hear people call their character "character" when they only have 1, it's usually referenced in 1st person such as "I" or "me"

Gronix
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't mind, call 'em what you like ;)

Amnesia
03-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Yes, people can call them whatever they want---I'll know what they mean.

Personally, I call them "characters"...

velvet
03-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Everyone's stating by calling your character a toon you're stating its inferior. It's all personal preference, albeit an incorrect use, it's still however they want to call it. It doesn't matter what you call it but from what I've seen in the majority when people are describing their multiple alts they call them toons, doesn't mean they are inferior, it's just said because it lets you know "oh they put time in multiple pcs". Rarely do I hear people call their character "character" when they only have 1, it's usually referenced in 1st person such as "I" or "me"

I'm stating its inferior simply because a group of alts "toons" can't be as strong as a single pc in the same givin playtime. Not that the people are inferior. Please read before you go agro

Atdarrighttime
03-28-2013, 03:22 PM
I respect whatever term people wish to use to describe them.
Just call mine a 'character'. ;-]

JagerMyk
03-28-2013, 03:24 PM
just wanted to put out the nerdrage wildfire is all, an yes it is an open debate, callem whatcha want

Macbaby
03-28-2013, 03:25 PM
My Avacharactoon is a stick figure <---- be afraid be very afraid

velvet
03-28-2013, 03:26 PM
ha ha nerdage wildfire.......lolz

Masoner
03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I disagree with all this tolerant rhetoric.

Character > Toons

Paladin
03-28-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm stating its inferior simply because a group of alts "toons" can't be as strong as a single pc in the same givin playtime. Not that the people are inferior. Please read before you go agro

Oh my god, Agro you really do play lots of MMOS....
Also, not really Agro just saying doesn't matter:P

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
EMC Agro followed by Hellbug Agro, they too are offended when called a toon they prefer Hostile NPC apparently

velvet
03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
EMC Agro followed by Hellbug Agro, they too are offended when called a toon they prefer Hostile NPC apparently

Lolz that was great. Reminds me. I hate the terms "mobs" and "adds"

Paladin
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Lolz that was great. Reminds me. I hate the terms "mobs" and "adds"

Stoooooop it! How do you live with yourself!?

velvet
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Stoooooop it! How do you live with yourself!?

Well.....I just go one day at a time

SYN BLACK XS
03-28-2013, 03:53 PM
This is the first I've heard of this Toon ref...

Bit weird

Paladin
03-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Well.....I just go one day at a time

You mean one word at a time.

velvet
03-28-2013, 04:03 PM
You mean one word at a time.I just like to call something what it is

TRAP
03-28-2013, 04:30 PM
I typically consider other people toons in general, within games and IRL.

I like this and so do I LMAO their the cartoons not me LOL

TRAP
03-28-2013, 04:44 PM

I dont think anyone is disrespecting anyone either and I actually think the whole topic is hilarious. Its like a Seinfeld or Larry David conversation LOL

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 04:46 PM
exactly LMAO

velvet
03-28-2013, 04:48 PM
I dont think anyone is disrespecting anyone either and I actually think the whole topic is hilarious. Its like a Seinfeld or Larry David conversation LOL

That's what I was going for. This forum needs a funny argument or two

Arsenic_Touch
03-28-2013, 04:49 PM
The politically correct term is Residual Self Image or RSI for short. Get with the program.

velvet
03-28-2013, 04:52 PM
The politically correct term is Residual Self Image or RSI for short. Get with the program.

Only if that "self" looks like you.

TigrisMorte
03-28-2013, 05:02 PM
They're called "toons" because they are animated drawings.
And I promise they were toons long ago and shall be toons long form now.
But call them whatever you want. Just pretend that when someone says toon, I say character or PC (I am LARP!), they are saying avatar, (and are blue with reproductive hair if you like).
Or basically http://youtu.be/B65mtE2TN1w

TRAP
03-28-2013, 05:02 PM
That's what I was going for. This forum needs a funny argument or two

Right and might aswell have a few laughs while were here plus its good for you. No need to be too serious all the time. I cant wait till next Tuesday!!

Arsenic_Touch
03-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Only if that "self" looks like you.

You mean I don't look like a big buff rugged looking alien with piercings? ...well damn.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Ok to settle the matter

Toon is derived from cartoon a character that is a loon thus cartoon
now you can tune into cartoon network and watch all the cartoons you want until a certain time at night when a program called adult swim comes on. This programing plays adult anime.

The difference being adult anime is something that usually is in the form that Otaku's refer to as Japanese anime and if you watch this then you already know the difference between cartoons and anime. SYFY channel used to have anime mondays (I think it was when they where the SIFI channel) again proving my point that toons or cartoons is a reference that could be considered childish and derogatory. The video game environment is not that much different as it is a interactive anime in a sense not a interactive cartoon (well unless your off playing DCUO then yea OK your a toon)

velvet
03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
No one playing an mmo enough to get into this argument is going to be buff and rugged lol

velvet
03-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Ok to settle the matter

Toon is derived from cartoon a character that is a loon thus cartoon
now you can tune into cartoon network and watch all the cartoons you want until a certain time at night when a program called adult swim comes on. This programing plays adult anime.

The difference being adult anime is something that usually is in the form that Otaku's refer to as Japanese anime and if you watch this then you already know the difference between cartoons and anime. SYFY channel used to have anime mondays (I think it was when they where the SIFI channel) again proving my point that toons or cartoons is a reference that could be considered childish and derogatory. The video game environment is not that much different as it is a interactive anime in a sense not a interactive cartoon (well unless your off playing DCUO then yea OK your a toon)

^this people

Evershadow
03-28-2013, 05:22 PM
No one playing an mmo enough to get into this argument is going to be buff and rugged lol

I disagree with this comment. You do know a lot of folks in the army play mmo's and are gamers in general since they don't have much to do after working during the day. Even some of the army medics I know were playing wow in the head surgeons office... thing is the head surgeon was also a member of the same wow guild an was playing from home and let them use his office to play while they were on standby.

so to that no-one playing an mmo enough to get into the argument is completely invalid.

but on topic, I used to refer to my avatars as chars, some people use toons, some avatars but does it really matter that much what people refer to them as?

mcwjimbo
03-28-2013, 05:25 PM
My toon says your anti-toon attitude is hurting its toonish feelings and plans on kicking your toon in the shin with its toonish foot

seriously though, I prefer to refer to as character / my character/ one of my alt characters

--------------

disagree, I have a full home gym and a lap top and constantly work out while either grinding, gathering, crafting, whatever inbetween sets/ resting between sets...though on the rugged end = well I'm a sap at heart

a sap with muscles

velvet
03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
You have to look back in the posts we explain why it matters. And some how I forgot the army guys I play with lol but they have to be buff and rugged

Evershadow
03-28-2013, 05:32 PM
You have to look back in the posts we explain why it matters. And some how I forgot the army guys I play with lol but they have to be buff and rugged

sounds more like your shopping for potential suitors with that line about them having to be buff an rugged... you realise this isn't match.com?

velvet
03-28-2013, 05:36 PM
sounds more like your shopping for potential suitors with that line about them having to be buff an rugged... you realise this isn't match.com?

What you want flabby troops? Don't read into stuff so much.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 05:39 PM
flabby troops? well if the world consisted of nothing but flabby fat troops then wars would be kinda obsolete or obese and obscene. Imagine the Military channel : Warning the images you are about to see are obese and obscene viewer desecration is advised

Evershadow
03-28-2013, 05:40 PM
What you want flabby troops? Don't read into stuff so much.

flabby troops.... where do I sign up... I knew this heavy gut of mine would get me into the forces someday lol no wonder I used to play a fat little male dwarf on wow back in the day :D

velvet
03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
flabby troops.... where do I sign up... I knew this heavy gut of mine would get me into the forces someday lol no wonder I used to play a fat little male dwarf on wow back in the day :D

That slaps my knee

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
oh you can sign up but that boot camp will turn you from flabby to buff then sadly you won't qualify for the flabby brigade

Evershadow
03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
oh you can sign up but that boot camp will turn you from flabby to buff then sadly you won't qualify for the flabby brigade

you said that.... and I cried inside /rocks in the corner

Desidus
03-28-2013, 05:48 PM
You are all a bunch of toons!

Either that or You're quite the character...

velvet
03-28-2013, 05:50 PM

Says the canadian. Jk

Desidus
03-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Says the canadian. Jk

Hey I never said I wasn't, just welcoming you all to the club!

velvet
03-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Hey I never said I wasn't, just welcoming you all to the club!

I lost my invite can I get another?

Desidus
03-28-2013, 05:58 PM
*Hits velvet with a thesaurus* I doubt you have been around long enough to get the reference... but if you had been you would feel invited. lol.

velvet
03-28-2013, 06:03 PM
*Hits velvet with a thesaurus* I doubt you have been around long enough to get the reference... but if you had been you would feel invited. lol.

Nope I know not of whiich you speak

Desidus
03-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Nope I know not of whiich you speak

Lets just say I was infamous on the threads for awhile and well known for carrying around a thesaurus... that and hitting people that said soon.

velvet
03-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Lets just say I was infamous on the threads for awhile and well known for carrying around a thesaurus... that and hitting people that said soon.
Lolz that's one way to teach

Desidus
03-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Lolz that's one way to teach

LOL Everyone was saying soon because Trion wasn't telling us when the console Beta's were coming out.. all they would tell us over and over again was soon. So it became the saying in the threads... and so my reaction was hitting them with a thesaurus.. lol. It got so that someone made me a signature of my avatar throwing a thesaurus at another persons avatar. lol.

velvet
03-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh wow.......atleast they didn't call it a toon

Desidus
03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
I just realised I said so a lot in that last thread.

And now its time for me to go take care of the kids and then work on the clan. Nice meeting the two of you. Feel free to add me as a friend id is desidus.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
well I could see the confusion to avatar and toon after all some may say a avatar is much like a toon. However a avatar is a reflection of your personality, you make a avatar that is funny then that shows you have a humorous personality or a die hard avatar shows you might be serious in personality where a toon really is just a loony character that has no relevance to anything other than being silly and childish.

velvet
03-28-2013, 06:27 PM
well I could see the confusion to avatar and toon after all some may say a avatar is much like a toon. However a avatar is a reflection of your personality, you make a avatar that is funny then that shows you have a humorous personality or a die hard avatar shows you might be serious in personality where a toon really is just a loony character that has no relevance to anything other than being silly and childish.

So very true. But a lot of people use toonish names too. Ran into a beta player named ballgobbler. I hate people like that.

JagerMyk
03-28-2013, 06:30 PM
just remember that those who have stupid toon names or ppl cannot pronounce their said char name...they will not be looked at for spots on the series (or so I have read)

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Ballgobbler wow well to each its own I say, Personally I wouldnt gobble any balls.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
just remember that those who have stupid toon names or ppl cannot pronounce their said char name...they will not be looked at for spots on the series (or so I have read)

hmmm I guess I might be counted out then though I would think they would consider me for originality kinda maybe I should use my psn name then.

JagerMyk
03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
no the actual character creation name? but I am not 100% I hope its not the psn sign in or I am out too lol

velvet
03-28-2013, 06:35 PM

People will still use crude childish names

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 06:49 PM
true and also the trolls will find themselves alone after awhile as they too get ignored. As for me I ignore excessive spammers and trolls of the mentally challenged fashion that really have no intention of playing but trying to aggravate others for there enjoyment. Those with crude and childish names like farty fart mcpants I figure not grouping up with that person is a smart idea.

velvet
03-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I stay away from people with stupid names

Paladin
03-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Wow didn't realize you were all prudent puritans.
This is the main reason I don't pick names that are comical, people don't take you seriously or profile you.
But I didn't think it was to this extreme.

Desidus
03-28-2013, 06:55 PM
no the actual character creation name? but I am not 100% I hope its not the psn sign in or I am out too lol

not the sign in name.. will be the character name.

velvet
03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow didn't realize you were all prudent puritans.
This is the main reason I don't pick names that are comical, people don't take you seriously or profile you.
But I didn't think it was to this extreme.

I just don't want to play with someone called hairybeaver or ballgargler (real beta players)

Paladin
03-28-2013, 06:59 PM
I just don't want to play with someone called hairybeaver or ballgargler (real beta players)

Hahahaha that sent my sides into orbit....those players sound really fun to play with.
Too be honest people with names like that aren't bad people whatever the connotations of their name brings. I personally pick "neutral" names so people don't judge me by my name but instead actions which is.....better, especially in this case:D

JagerMyk
03-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Thank you Desidus.
an Paladin, lol

velvet
03-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Hahahaha that sent my sides into orbit....those players sound really fun to play with.

If you like to play with trolls who couldn't hit water falling out of a boat

Paladin
03-28-2013, 07:02 PM
If you like to play with trolls who couldn't hit water falling out of a boat

Who said a sense of humor damages your aim?

JagerMyk
03-28-2013, 07:05 PM
lol if youre loling you cant see straight
:)

Paladin
03-28-2013, 07:06 PM
lol if youre loling you cant see straight
:)
I have an LMG so it's spray and pray anyways

velvet
03-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Snp? Can't beleave people still do that.......

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 07:11 PM
well alot of times I found myself seeing a purple square in a area and thought oh I will go assist this person and if said person was ball juggling and gargling at the same time (wow what a talent call guieness world book of records) I would still assist after all I am gaining exp to my weapon and if they seemed decent I might accept the invite to go help them on the missions they need after all if I thought they can hold there own then they pass and name doesn't matter. But I am going to call them by there name even when they say you don't have to call me that my name is blah blah. You choose a name thats your name son sorry lol

velvet
03-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Still not gunna play with ballbags and nutmunchers. It may be just a name but its the same as the toon thing. It shows a lack of respect for the character and the game

FoLokinix
03-28-2013, 07:19 PM
A name is everything about a person. It sums up what they think of a character in a childish and ridiculous way. And sometimes everyone is childish. Like the childish glee of murdering hellbugs for no reason with a shotgun butt. Or laughing because of what you call the back end of a gun. And then murdering more hellbugs with grenades for no reason other than because they got in your way.
Spray 'n' Pray is just giving hope to your gun. You're hoping that lil' guy can hit all the bullets, and then you'll take him to the park to play on the swingset. Ah, good times...

Daholic
03-28-2013, 07:22 PM
I didnt notice anyone correcting the poster who started the thread about wanting a healing gun, and wanting to be a support class. There was over 5 pages in that thread. Haha you guys want to disregard the mmorpg term Toon, but its ok to use your perk/skill and refer to yourselfs as a healer/tank..arent those mmorpg terms also???

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 07:24 PM
well most times I find the guy or girl with a childish name couldnt hit the broadside of a barn much less a hellbug or hostile npc like the emc's but if they actually can hold there own I would group with them untill there childish nature showed and ticked me off to say later.

velvet
03-28-2013, 07:25 PM
I didnt notice anyone correcting the poster who started the thread about wanting a healing gun, and wanting to be a support class. There was over 5 pages in that thread. Haha you guys want to disregard the mmorpg term Toon, but its ok to use your perk/skill and refer to yourselfs as a healer/tank..arent those mmorpg terms also???

One. There is a gun that fills sheilds. (Heals) two. There are ego skills that do the same. And buff teammates. (Healer role) three. Skills that boost damage out and lower damage in. (Tank) so yeah..........that's legit

ThanatosPa
03-28-2013, 07:28 PM

well if this is ur biggest problem then you are good to go for launch, but the characters have been toons since almost any rpg game ever. So you ar totally out of luck.

And no I did not read all the rest of the posts.

FoLokinix
03-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Weird, my first assumption in the game was "Oh dear god I will miss absolutely everything" and resigned myself to my fate of shotguns, sniper rifles, and punching things in the face.
Beyond that, it's just plain stupid to refuse to play with someone for being childish in a game. No matter how many bullets, monsters, evil thing, blood puddles, or bizarre clothing choices you see, it's still just a game for people to unwind with. And come on, if it wasn't for the funny stuff, any multiplayer experience would be ruined. You can't communicate as freely to everyone over an MMO, so the name can be considered an off-color joke to break the ice. Or just being bored out of your mind. Think about how those players react when they see a player with a serious name or ridiculous username that doesn't sound like a real name or a joke?

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM

well technically a player can run pursuits to build his healer for a group. I mean if you grab what the BMG? and level it to 10 I am sure it will have a better heal or very least a faster recharge and they run around and revive fallen players then they are a healer or medic correct? If a player runs the pursuits and levels up gaining a higher shield that focuses on defense so to say then a healer will help keep the tank charged and the tank will attack the enemies trying to keep agro just on him or her. as I see it it might be possible to actually play this game that way if you are solely looking at grouping during your gameplay.

Personally I am a solo player I only group up for co op and pursuits and to help people cause I need to level my weapon so I am more interested in making my character solo ability through the game.

velvet
03-28-2013, 07:33 PM
well technically a player can run pursuits to build his healer for a group. I mean if you grab what the BMG? and level it to 10 I am sure it will have a better heal or very least a faster recharge and they run around and revive fallen players then they are a healer or medic correct? If a player runs the pursuits and levels up gaining a higher shield that focuses on defense so to say then a healer will help keep the tank charged and the tank will attack the enemies trying to keep agro just on him or her. as I see it it might be possible to actually play this game that way if you are solely looking at grouping during your gameplay.

Personally I am a solo player I only group up for co op and pursuits and to help people cause I need to level my weapon so I am more interested in making my character solo ability through the game.

Isn't that what I just said? Lol

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
well if this is ur biggest problem then you are good to go for launch, but the characters have been toons since almost any rpg game ever. So you ar totally out of luck.

And no I did not read all the rest of the posts.

well you should read all the post but hey its cool. Personally toon is what children and non hardcore gamers will refer to as there character they will also run 4+ characters or toons as you say where they will spend equal time leveling each one. Think about it 60 hours in agame just with three "toons" that means you spend 20 hours on each. Well my character as I call it or me spent that same 60 hours on it alone so yes you are inferior well at least your toon is not you as a person .

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Isn't that what I just said? Lol

ya I have been drinking and was in a post reply or w/e I guess when you posted lol

N0va
03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I refer my characters as chars. Also main, and alt.

velvet
03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
ya I have been drinking and was in a post reply or w/e I guess when you posted lol

Lol drink one for me

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
oh I am thats the only thing keeping me sane right now I want to play defiance why can't they reopen the beta even if it is a old build

velvet
03-28-2013, 07:54 PM
oh I am thats the only thing keeping me sane right now I want to play defiance why can't they reopen the beta even if it is a old build

I know its still great old or not

eeyore
03-28-2013, 07:55 PM
I named a character on DCUO "Mister Poopypants," simply because he was a toon. I never use that word, but I think on DCUO it's probably appropriate. I don't mind silly-ish names, but there are names that I would never use, or want to be around. I think if someone can do a clever pun in their names (no "Mister Poopypants is not a clever pun), it can be funny, and that person might be fun to play with. For instance, on Ultima Online X (yes, I played that...I admit it), there was a bard named "Minstrel Flow." Sorry, that may be a little too crude for some, but I did actually laugh at that one. Haha. I kinda like the name I had in the beta. It had a touch of silliness to it, but I'm not one who thinks a character (yes, "character") HAS to have a serious, anime, fantasy, sci-fi, whatever name. Besides, there are some silly anime shows out there (and not all of them are kid shows). Anyway, I played on MUDs in the 80s and 90s, and a little in the 2000s, and I never heard them called "toons." However on DCUO, "Mister Poopypants" was just about over the top for me. Not to mention, I was having trouble coming up with any great names anyway, and it was also something of a salute to Leslie Nielsen. It came from a scene in "Naked Gun 2 1/2." So, yeah. There you have it. Oh, and my signature is a quote from a t-shirt. I thought it was funny since women seem fond of saying men are infantile, and they need to grow up, and all that stuff. I've never been told that though. I'm sure no one man here has. :p Anyway, I love MMOs, I've never called any of my characters "toons," and I think there is room for some humor/silliness. I just don't like crudeness. That most definitely will get people targeted, like you said. Hmm...my post didn't come off as sounding offended, did it? I hope not. It's just opinion.

FoLokinix
03-28-2013, 07:57 PM
That is... depressing? Sure, that.
The thing is, I say characters because I personally find the sentences easier to say with characters instead of toons, which I find a hell of a lot harder saying due to both the context and the fact that it's a weird phrase without the "car-." But you shouldn't tell people they're wrong for using it to refer to characters in a game. Cartoons may make a person think about light art styles and children's shows, but a lot of things can be considered cartoons. It's just another word for "animation."
And it is wrong to say that referring to them one way makes a person inferior. First off, not playing a game as much does not make them inferior; the greatest player at the game could not have the free time to actually play it, but they're still better at it than anyone else. Determining skill by a number in the corner of the screen is a childish form of labeling. We should just use smiley faces instead and after you collect 100 shiny gold smiley faces, you can trade them in for a platinum sticker! It's the same system. Only with smiley faces and an ocean's worth of sarcasm. Let them call their characters toons if they enjoy it, I know I won't because it just comes out weird, but all slang does that to me.
Now if you'll excuse me, I must write a story about a character I'll make when the game's released named "Porpy the Dolphin Man" who shall fight creatures with his majestic allies Phil the Pistol, Suzie Shotgun, and his trusty steed "Frank." His sonar is the stuff dreams are made of. Also chum.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 07:57 PM
yea and I would love to be online playing even though I loose everything I would be able to start finding those datatags I need for game launch though give it a few weeks they will be on a wiki anyway. . .

maybe I will make a website as I own one already maybe I should make it a wiki and have gamers come there to post all datatags and mission guides or walkthroughs?

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
mr poopypants heh heh yea well like I said if I ran across you and you held your own and was a good player I would party with you. but as you said you do not refer to your character as a toon so that means you prolly care about the level progression and ability of your character so of course your gonna be a good player. Most players refering to there toon might or might not have a childish name but there level of determination and skill reflects upon that character and you will find most times that it is a sub par player who is only here to troll and flame and spray n play

velvet
03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
I named a character on DCUO "Mister Poopypants," simply because he was a toon. I never use that word, but I think on DCUO it's probably appropriate. I don't mind silly-ish names, but there are names that I would never use, or want to be around. I think if someone can do a clever pun in their names (no "Mister Poopypants is not a clever pun), it can be funny, and that person might be fun to play with. For instance, on Ultima Online X (yes, I played that...I admit it), there was a bard named "Minstrel Flow." Sorry, that may be a little too crude for some, but I did actually laugh at that one. Haha. I kinda like the name I had in the beta. It had a touch of silliness to it, but I'm not one who thinks a character (yes, "character") HAS to have a serious, anime, fantasy, sci-fi, whatever name. Besides, there are some silly anime shows out there (and not all of them are kid shows). Anyway, I played on MUDs in the 80s and 90s, and a little in the 2000s, and I never heard them called "toons." However on DCUO, "Mister Poopypants" was just about over the top for me. Not to mention, I was having trouble coming up with any great names anyway, and it was also something of a salute to Leslie Nielsen. It came from a scene in "Naked Gun 2 1/2." So, yeah. There you have it. Oh, and my signature is a quote from a t-shirt. I thought it was funny since women seem fond of saying men are infantile, and they need to grow up, and all that stuff. I've never been told that though. :p Anyway, I love MMOs, I've never called any of my characters "toons," and I think there is room for some humor/silliness. I just don't like crudeness. That most definitely will get people targeted, like you said. Hmm...my post didn't come off as sounding offended, did it? I hope not. It's just opinion.

This post. Ant that bard. Are great just what I'm talking about. Only crude if one doesn't know what a menstrel is lol

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 08:06 PM
have to say minstrel flow is a good pun for a bard now if it wasn't a bard then it was just stupid

velvet
03-28-2013, 08:08 PM
That is... depressing? Sure, that.
The thing is, I say characters because I personally find the sentences easier to say with characters instead of toons, which I find a hell of a lot harder saying due to both the context and the fact that it's a weird phrase without the "car-." But you shouldn't tell people they're wrong for using it to refer to characters in a game. Cartoons may make a person think about light art styles and children's shows, but a lot of things can be considered cartoons. It's just another word for "animation."
And it is wrong to say that referring to them one way makes a person inferior. First off, not playing a game as much does not make them inferior; the greatest player at the game could not have the free time to actually play it, but they're still better at it than anyone else. Determining skill by a number in the corner of the screen is a childish form of labeling. We should just use smiley faces instead and after you collect 100 shiny gold smiley faces, you can trade them in for a platinum sticker! It's the same system. Only with smiley faces and an ocean's worth of sarcasm. Let them call their characters toons if they enjoy it, I know I won't because it just comes out weird, but all slang does that to me.
Now if you'll excuse me, I must write a story about a character I'll make when the game's released named "Porpy the Dolphin Man" who shall fight creatures with his majestic allies Phil the Pistol, Suzie Shotgun, and his trusty steed "Frank." His sonar is the stuff dreams are made of. Also chum.

Not once has a real person been called inferior

Regrets
03-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Excuse me? Big boys play games on PC's. those games are called MMOs. In those MMOs they were called toons long before the best part of you ran down your daddy's leg.

console kids...lost

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 08:11 PM
true to my knowledge only characters or toons of said players are inferior the actual player never has been called sub human or anything of that nature.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Excuse me? Big boys play games on PC's. those games are called MMOs. In those MMOs they were called toons long before the best part of you ran down your daddy's leg.

console kids...lost

sadly I am most likely older than you and played more mmo's than you ever have but hey call it what you want just understand the fact you call it a toon you are insulting not just my character but yourself too after all is oh wait you have no idea what good anime is you prolly think the simpsons or american dad is anime (nothing wrong with that) but why dont you use this time to go learn about real anime and what real gaming is.

velvet
03-28-2013, 08:23 PM

console kids...lost
Wow thanks for commin in here and bein a troll doche. Take your pc bs to the pc forum this is the ps3 page.

FoLokinix
03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
oh wait you have no idea what good anime is you prolly think the simpsons or american dad is anime (nothing wrong with that) but why dont you use this time to go learn about real anime and what real gaming is.
"Anime" is just short for animation. It's not some special word meaning something special, everything animated can be rightfully referred to as "anime" regardless of connotation. You're not some do-good hero for telling people off about what they may or may not be aware of such information, that's just rude. While the guy's not necessarily right, and he's far from it, it's still rude to try and call him out on such information.
You should be calling them out on their PC elitism rather than what information they may or may not know on a subject you're believing to mean a specific art style. That's not correcting their information or informing them, that's just snobbing it up right back at them. Without fact flinging! What kind of prideful snob snobs it up without some kind of snobbery fueled facts?
Beyond that, you're using "real" in an opinionated way. It doesn't mean "serious" or "what I enjoy." Use facts to tell people off, or don't tell them off at all... or use finger puppets.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
this is why I asked the devs to allow for a special event every few months of the pc players xbox and ps3 gamers to be able to do a pvp where they compete against each other. Cause now he is on his all mighty high horse thinking he is far superior to us but reality is he is just a troll pretending to be a gamer. Most likely he is awesome with his illegal mods that pc players Download to make them better in a game.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 08:32 PM
"Anime" is just short for animation. It's not some special word meaning something special, everything animated can be rightfully referred to as "anime" regardless of connotation. You're not some do-good hero for telling people off about what they may or may not be aware of such information, that's just rude. While the guy's not necessarily right, and he's far from it, it's still rude to try and call him out on such information.
You should be calling them out on their PC elitism rather than what information they may or may not know on a subject you're believing to mean a specific art style. That's not correcting their information or informing them, that's just snobbing it up right back at them. Without fact flinging! What kind of prideful snob snobs it up without some kind of snobbery fueled facts?
Beyond that, you're using "real" in an opinionated way. It doesn't mean "serious" or "what I enjoy." Use facts to tell people off, or don't tell them off at all... or use finger puppets.

read the entire thread and you will see I use not only facts to back my argue up bra.

On another not I apologize if I offended you in some way after all I am here to have a good time and enjoy the time waiting for the launch date. but please read everything again and then argue the merits I have posted.

Daholic
03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Wow thanks for commin in here and bein a troll doche. Take your pc bs to the pc forum this is the ps3 page.

Lol really, this whole thread has troll written all over it. Ive been refering to my character in Defiance as "Toon" on this website since the begining of this beta. Any game, the has customizable characters, in an mmo environment, that has rpg elements ive refered to as a "Toon". Hey the game is great(for what it is) but i be damned if someone decides that using that term is disrespective in anyway. Any other post in this thread that doesnt tell the op or anyone who agrees with this nonsence of disrespect using the term "Toon" has developed a fanboy complex in the attempt to banish all rpg elements from this game.

This is silly.

lPATT
03-28-2013, 08:46 PM
this thread went overboard with toon xD

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 08:48 PM
how many "toons" do you plan on having? would you refer to my "toon" as a toon? my point of view is thats dissrespectful not just to me but the the game itself. Now if you call your character a toon thats your deal but don't go calling my character a toon or looney toon or whatever derogatory term you can come up with my friend. I have played games where a person like yourself who dissrespects me and says how many toons do you have? I always reply with I have no toons I have my character I refer to in first person or by his name and if I have a mule I refer to it as MULE.

usually players leave it at that but again if you really can't distinguish between a cartoon and a japanese anime how the heck do you know the difference between dcu and defiance?

FoLokinix
03-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Maybe they just need to get a quick Toon fix?

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 08:51 PM
and then again maybe the vodka has gone to my head lol time for a shot wish all of you where here we could do a round together as we wait for the game to go live

Daholic
03-28-2013, 09:01 PM
how many "toons" do you plan on having? would you refer to my "toon" as a toon? my point of view is thats dissrespectful not just to me but the the game itself. Now if you call your character a toon thats your deal but don't go calling my character a toon or looney toon or whatever derogatory term you can come up with my friend. I have played games where a person like yourself who dissrespects me and says how many toons do you have? I always reply with I have no toons I have my character I refer to in first person or by his name and if I have a mule I refer to it as MULE.

usually players leave it at that but again if you really can't distinguish between a cartoon and a japanese anime how the heck do you know the difference between dcu and defiance?

Ill retype just the 1st 2 line in my post....

"Lol really, this whole thread has troll written all over it. Ive been refering to my character in Defiance as "Toon" on this website since the begining of this beta. Any game, the has customizable characters, in an"

I believe i was pretty straight forward when i said "My Character"...i wont trolll your reading comprehension, maybe you just missed it..no biggie.

Oh, and why should i create "multiple toons" theres what...4 different loadouts, and the ability to respect my toon as many time as i want, whats the point in having more than 2??? really???

How about i say "I have played games with a person that act like a complete and utter fanboy, and tries to make a term thats been used for many, many years in mmo's into a percieved disrespect...i always reply with 'Sir, its my right to call my "Toon" a "Toon, and you sir have no right to question it"

"

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 09:10 PM
well see it how you want bro, The fact is I don't care what you call your character just don't go calling mine a toon. I am not some joke of a game and don't want you referring me to it as one. second most people start the game with one character and refer to it as such but then they don't have the balls to leave a over demanding guild so they go and create a second character so they can play the way they want and have fun. Thus the word toon was born in your coveted MMO's you played. Reality is they (those who dubed this toon name) hated the game with there mains and created others to play the game the way they wanted and thus became distanced from there original character and began to disrespect themselves and the game and referred to it as toon.

or the players they played with where in that situation and referred to themselves as a joke or "toon" to others since in order to play they had to have many other characters and stoped viewing the game character as a extension of there essence or being in a fake reality. So you copied there idea of there character's persona sadly this is the reality that you deny.

mcwjimbo
03-28-2013, 09:12 PM

badum boom tshhh

Daholic
03-28-2013, 09:23 PM
well see it how you want bro, The fact is I don't care what you call your character just don't go calling mine a toon. I am not some joke of a game and don't want you referring me to it as one. second most people start the game with one character and refer to it as such but then they don't have the balls to leave a over demanding guild so they go and create a second character so they can play the way they want and have fun. Thus the word toon was born in your coveted MMO's you played. Reality is they (those who dubed this toon name) hated the game with there mains and created others to play the game the way they wanted and thus became distanced from there original character and began to disrespect themselves and the game and referred to it as toon.

or the players they played with where in that situation and referred to themselves as a joke or "toon" to others since in order to play they had to have many other characters and stoped viewing the game character as a extension of there essence or being in a fake reality. So you copied there idea of there character's persona sadly this is the reality that you deny.

Apparently you do care about what i call it. You can check me on calling other player characters "Toons" when i make a post suggesting that i do. Other than that, your/ and anyone elses whole idea of disrespecting a playable character you've created in game by refering to it as "Toon" is so laughable, and this whole thread is odd. Bored fanboys looking to find any reason to suggest this game is trailblazing, when the content is so dumbed down, that you actually think skill is jumping, rolling, and shooting and then praying that your after effects proc enough for you to fell like there was some skill involved.

Geezzz....

Deadpool
03-28-2013, 10:02 PM
To each their own.

I've played many games and eventually each game picked its own name of "characters", but if a fellow poster commented on a "toon" I wouldn't be so ignorant as to call someone out.

If a community is going to be this short-minded on such a little thing, then I have fear of the future of this game.

velvet
03-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Apparently you do care about what i call it. You can check me on calling other player characters "Toons" when i make a post suggesting that i do. Other than that, your/ and anyone elses whole idea of disrespecting a playable character you've created in game by refering to it as "Toon" is so laughable, and this whole thread is odd. Bored fanboys looking to find any reason to suggest this game is trailblazing, when the content is so dumbed down, that you actually think skill is jumping, rolling, and shooting and then praying that your after effects proc enough for you to fell like there was some skill involved.

Geezzz....
If you feel the game is "dumbed down" don't play it. You pc fanboys have a ton of crappy mmos not half as good as Defiance. Go oogle some elves in wow and stop trollin my post

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 10:31 PM
well sadly im drunk so I will not be able to give you a proper retort. Like I said call yourself what ya want if you want to call yourself a **** then do so. personally right now I am drinking vodka and could care less but I stand by my statements I posted and do feel when you call your character a toon you are not only degrading yourself but the game you play. you may not feel this way as you knew no better and have followed false sociology of said game. the reality is toon was brought upon by disgruntled players or those ignorant of the origin. you can argue all you like that I am wrong and I really could care less for i know and many others who have been around long before you in this environment know that toons is in fact a reference to multiple characters that a individual has no connection too when you refer to your "TOON" as a character then you have connection and will to care for that said character. actually I don't know why I am trying to explain basic college sociology and psychology to any of you if you cant figure this out on your own then i am sorry and good luck too you .

6Strummer
03-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Upon further reflection, and reading this thread, I changed my mind. You're a toon whether you like it or not. Deal with it. It's not disrespectful. It's a fact. Want to play an MMO? Then you're a toon. It's got nothing to do with alts. It's got nothing to do with respect. Call them whatever you want... persona, alter ego, character... whatever... they're still a toon. Good day.

Dr EveHill
03-28-2013, 10:47 PM
hey call it what ya want bro. I think it disrespectful after all your trying to lump me in with you a person calling there main character a toon or loon or piece of crap player they really do not care for! you care for your character and still call it a loon ok why? oh because you run only one character or as you say loon? or was toon? W/E ok I hear ya I understand I feel ya on this you call it a toon because all the games you played prior referenced it as such. The top guilds did not but you where in non top guilds that had those top guild members in it? Why? Oh cause they could not play the game with there main characters as they want so they created several alts so they may play as they wish.

you know what just go back and read everything stop trolling I think I have explained things enough in other post and now yes I am drunk as a skunk and prolly make no sense now so W/E Mr. Troll if you use common sense and logic you understand why not to call it a toon or why you mistakenly call them toons. If you still fail to understand then that is a epic fail on your part brothers n sisters

Prpich25
03-29-2013, 01:07 AM
The way i see it. You create a character or "Char". You dont create a Cartoon or "Toon". If you wanna call your guy/gal a toon, call it a toon, if you wanna call it a Char, then do so as well. To each their own.

Prpich25
03-29-2013, 01:26 AM
hey call it what ya want bro. I think it disrespectful after all your trying to lump me in with you a person calling there main character a toon or loon or piece of crap player they really do not care for! you care for your character and still call it a loon ok why? oh because you run only one character or as you say loon? or was toon? W/E ok I hear ya I understand I feel ya on this you call it a toon because all the games you played prior referenced it as such. The top guilds did not but you where in non top guilds that had those top guild members in it? Why? Oh cause they could not play the game with there main characters as they want so they created several alts so they may play as they wish.

you know what just go back and read everything stop trolling I think I have explained things enough in other post and now yes I am drunk as a skunk and prolly make no sense now so W/E Mr. Troll if you use common sense and logic you understand why not to call it a toon or why you mistakenly call them toons. If you still fail to understand then that is a epic fail on your part brothers n sisters

Your making sense. Kudos to you for being trashed and making a more legitimate point. The other guy is nothing more then being a lame troll, rambling almost incoherently at times. You good sir, get a gold star.

War Master Degan
03-29-2013, 01:31 AM
I say we call them Avatoochars!!

eeyore
03-29-2013, 01:42 AM
What I think is funny is the people who say that even in the original MUD days the characters were called "toons." How is that? To me, a "toon," is pretty much a cartoon, which is animated. How is a MUD, which was basically a text game (back in the day), animated? Also, a "toon" is some silly, nonsensical thing. I would say the closest I came to that was because I named a character "Mister Poopypants." Yes, it's a silly, stupid name. Maybe that makes it a toon in many people's eyes. That's okay, considering the game. You'll not find me using the term "toon." I just said "Mister Poopypants" might be called a "toon" just because of his name and it was a silly name, and because of the game, and such things. I had a character, yes "CHARACTER" on a MUD named "Streetpizza." It was a silly name, but I played him much more seriously. I just named him that because I liked the word. I thought it would make for a good name that would add some humor to the game. I actually got something of a laugh out of it. I liked it (even if it was just slightly morbid). Apparently other characters liked it too. I got kind of popular. In fact, many people were disappointed that I changed my name. The only reason I changed it was because I was indecisive, and I thought I would try a different, still somewhat humorous name. I ended up being disappointed that I changed it. I would have paid again to change it back (in-game gold coins btw), but they only allowed one name change. I had to pay a lot to change it the first time. Oh well. I learned my lesson there. Now I know better. Whatever name I choose, I know I will keep it, even if the opportunity were there for me to change it. I have changed (as a person) a good bit since then. After all, it was a long time ago. I have kids in college now. If I choose a silly (or somewhat silly) name, it's because I really like it. It's something I enjoy, and I like it. If it's a "serious" name, that's fine too. I think there are people who take games like this way too seriously. On the flip-side, there are people who give themselves names because they are trying to get a huge reaction because of the crudeness, and they don't care at all about what happens to them, even if it means they are kicked from the game. No matter what name I choose (even if it's just about over-the-top silly), I will play it as a character and not a "toon." A "toon" is someone who puts no real personality into the character. Even though I named my character "Mister Poopypants" I played him as a sarcastic character (because I knew I would be targeted and killed...a lot), and I said things about being scary and respected by a lot of people, and they must perceive me as a big threat. They actually did attack me and kill me all the time. I said it before, but I got my name from a line from "Naked Gun 2 1/2." The line was said with a bit of irony (and just some plain old sarcasm--there's a little difference), so I played the guy that way. I gave him some CHARACTER. That's the big difference. Toons have no dynamic to them. How much dynamic (or change) did Bugs Bunny have? None. He didn't change/develop at all over time. Those cartoons were really funny, don't get me wrong. But there was no character development. A lot of people who join an RPG, join it for the reason of playing an actual role. Isn't that the point to a "role playing game? They start their character, they develop that character. As they develop it, they give it a certain personality, and the character actually changes over time. That's the difference. I play a character. You play a toon that has no depth to it. You call yourself a toon. But I play a character, someone with depth and personality. My character could exist in whatever environment that it exists in. Your "toon" would exist in a cartoon TV show that my character would watch if he wanted a bit of a laugh. I hope I made enough sense that you understand me. I did my best to proofread. However, I am in the same boat as Dr EveHill. I raise my glass to you. Apparently I'm not the only one who drinks a bit of vodka every so often. :)

War Master Degan
03-29-2013, 01:44 AM
Semantics, period.

Jamesdanex
03-29-2013, 08:30 AM

It's slang for character, get over it. Can this thread just be deleted?

Khufu
03-29-2013, 09:25 AM
What I think is funny is the people who say that even in the original MUD days the characters were called "toons." How is that? To me, a "toon," is pretty much a cartoon, which is animated. How is a MUD, which was basically a text game (back in the day), animated? Also, a "toon" is some silly, nonsensical thing. I would say the closest I came to that was because I named a character "Mister Poopypants." Yes, it's a silly, stupid name. Maybe that makes it a toon in many people's eyes. That's okay, considering the game. You'll not find me using the term "toon." I just said "Mister Poopypants" might be called a "toon" just because of his name and it was a silly name, and because of the game, and such things. I had a character, yes "CHARACTER" on a MUD named "Streetpizza." It was a silly name, but I played him much more seriously. I just named him that because I liked the word. I thought it would make for a good name that would add some humor to the game. I actually got something of a laugh out of it. I liked it (even if it was just slightly morbid). Apparently other characters liked it too. I got kind of popular. In fact, many people were disappointed that I changed my name. The only reason I changed it was because I was indecisive, and I thought I would try a different, still somewhat humorous name. I ended up being disappointed that I changed it. I would have paid again to change it back (in-game gold coins btw), but they only allowed one name change. I had to pay a lot to change it the first time. Oh well. I learned my lesson there. Now I know better. Whatever name I choose, I know I will keep it, even if the opportunity were there for me to change it. I have changed (as a person) a good bit since then. After all, it was a long time ago. I have kids in college now. If I choose a silly (or somewhat silly) name, it's because I really like it. It's something I enjoy, and I like it. If it's a "serious" name, that's fine too. I think there are people who take games like this way too seriously. On the flip-side, there are people who give themselves names because they are trying to get a huge reaction because of the crudeness, and they don't care at all about what happens to them, even if it means they are kicked from the game. No matter what name I choose (even if it's just about over-the-top silly), I will play it as a character and not a "toon." A "toon" is someone who puts no real personality into the character. Even though I named my character "Mister Poopypants" I played him as a sarcastic character (because I knew I would be targeted and killed...a lot), and I said things about being scary and respected by a lot of people, and they must perceive me as a big threat. They actually did attack me and kill me all the time. I said it before, but I got my name from a line from "Naked Gun 2 1/2." The line was said with a bit of irony (and just some plain old sarcasm--there's a little difference), so I played the guy that way. I gave him some CHARACTER. That's the big difference. Toons have no dynamic to them. How much dynamic (or change) did Bugs Bunny have? None. He didn't change/develop at all over time. Those cartoons were really funny, don't get me wrong. But there was no character development. A lot of people who join an RPG, join it for the reason of playing an actual role. Isn't that the point to a "role playing game? They start their character, they develop that character. As they develop it, they give it a certain personality, and the character actually changes over time. That's the difference. I play a character. You play a toon that has no depth to it. You call yourself a toon. But I play a character, someone with depth and personality. My character could exist in whatever environment that it exists in. Your "toon" would exist in a cartoon TV show that my character would watch if he wanted a bit of a laugh. I hope I made enough sense that you understand me. I did my best to proofread. However, I am in the same boat as Dr EveHill. I raise my glass to you. Apparently I'm not the only one who drinks a bit of vodka every so often. :)

/Wall of text hits you for critical damage!
/Toon is dead. Revive?

MonkeySlime808
03-29-2013, 09:45 AM
I prefer to call them: Characters, Chars, or Avatars.

JagerMyk
03-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Charavatoons?

KaosPenguin
03-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Well then, I'll call them potato's.

JagerMyk
03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
potato potatoes tomato tomatoes... :) everyone singalong

TRAP
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Wow LOL this is still a hot topic? Has anyone heard if were gonna be region locked yet?

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 10:37 AM
It's slang for character, get over it. Can this thread just be deleted?

^^PLEASE I second that!

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Wow LOL this is still a hot topic? Has anyone heard if were gonna be region locked yet?

I'm wondering the same thing TRAP.

velvet
03-29-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm wondering the same thing TRAP.

I'm pretty sure xbox is.....as for our ps3 I don't think so. But I haven't heard anything

Jay
03-29-2013, 12:53 PM
I can bet $100 to a $1 the 'people' upset about the 'toon' name are adolescent, sophomoric men and boys

'toon
'toon
'toon
'toon!

AmishWarMachine
03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
My Ark Hunter always has bologna in his slacks.

My alt toons will also share this trait.

OcelotKharn
03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
The term toon was first used for WoW and it was in reference to the cartoon style graphics I believe

Khufu
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
The term toon was first used for WoW and it was in reference to the cartoon style graphics I believe

LOL!!! Nice try.

AmishWarMachine
03-29-2013, 01:07 PM
The term toon was first used for WoW and it was in reference to the cartoon style graphics I believeAgain, "toon" has been in use at least since EverQuest hit the shelves in March 1999.

It was probably used even before that with Ultima Online, which went live in September 1997. I say probably, because I did not play UO, but it would be presumptuous to assume it couldn't have started there. Or earlier, even.

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Again, "toon" has been in use at least since EverQuest hit the shelves in March 1999.

It was probably used even before that with Ultima Online, which went live in September 1997. I say probably, because I did not play UO, but it would be presumptuous to assume it couldn't have started there. Or earlier, even.

Or even in 1990.. Or even in 1970.. lol

Irres169
03-29-2013, 01:42 PM
I cannot believe this went on for 17 pages.

Paladin
03-29-2013, 01:44 PM
How is this still here!? When do i get to be a mod to close threads like these?

velvet
03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
How is this still here!? When do i get to be a mod to close threads like these?

You can't stop freedom of speech and no one is making people post here nore is it really hurting anything so my guess is........never

Dr EveHill
03-29-2013, 01:52 PM
yes it is amazing this thread is a hot potato so thank goodness your not a mod you would shut this down when it first appeared. I still stand behind my remarks and encourage everyone who responds to read every page and formulate a good reason for your stance.

Paladin
03-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Many people here are being coherent and....respectful to a certain degree... However it's attracting a lot of non constructive posts as well this thread should be in off topic since it applies to more than just Defiance...or atleast General Discussion since it can be applied to more than just playstation.

Dr EveHill
03-29-2013, 02:00 PM
now I tend to agree with that statement and then moving this thread not closing it would be advised.

velvet
03-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Many people here are being coherent and....respectful to a certain degree... However it's attracting a lot of non constructive posts as well this thread should be in off topic since it applies to more than just Defiance...or atleast General Discussion since it can be applied to more than just playstation.

I agree but I didn't see the off topic thread saddly. And yeah there are a lot of hot heads comming in but you get that with anything controversial its just the human way saddly. This was meant to be a humorous debate but what ever.........atleasr drevehill gets it lol

Dr EveHill
03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
honestly I don't care what someone calls there character, I do believe though it is a bit childish to refer to them as toons as they are a virtual embodiment or host of you as a gamer. Or at least they are supposed to be I could just never call myself or want to be a cartoon running around with a over sized hammer. Or have to worry about pianos and anvils falling from the sky.

Paladin
03-29-2013, 02:14 PM
The pianos carry the best loot!

velvet
03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
The pianos carry the best loot!

O.o they also insta-gib.

6Strummer
03-29-2013, 04:30 PM
honestly I don't care what someone calls there character, I do believe though it is a bit childish to refer to them as toons as they are a virtual embodiment or host of you as a gamer. Or at least they are supposed to be I could just never call myself or want to be a cartoon running around with a over sized hammer. Or have to worry about pianos and anvils falling from the sky.

Too bad. Your character is still a toon.

TRAP
03-29-2013, 06:54 PM
https://www.defiance.com/en/game/environment/characters/ just saying.....but to each their own

rocco1986
03-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Not here to argue, nor start an argument. That being said I call them toons mainly out of force of habit from other MMO's. On more of a technical point though, they are in in fact actually toons. Your character was first drawn out then digitized and colored/drawn on a computer made into a 3d sculpture and had animations added to it in the same way 3d cartoons are made but are more interactive.

Desidus
03-29-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm always amazed that threads like this keep on going and going...

rocco1986
03-29-2013, 10:40 PM

(insert energizer bunny commercial...) lol

Desidus
03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Pretty much.. I once had a really weird dream that included the energizer bunny...

Duskky
03-29-2013, 10:49 PM
All in favor of calling them "Peanut Butter" instead of "Toons" say aye.

eeyore
03-29-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't know if any of my stuff was totally cohesive or anything. I was not in the best state of mind. I do still believe "character" is a great description, since it hopefully develops as a dynamic, changing person. I always referred to it as a character. Oh well. I suppose this time around maybe I was just posting to make this thread go on a little longer. :p

velvet
03-29-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't know if any of my stuff was totally cohesive or anything. I was not in the best state of mind. I do still believe "character" is a great description, since it hopefully develops as a dynamic, changing person. I always referred to it as a character. Oh well. I suppose this time around maybe I was just posting to make this thread go on a little longer. :p

No you make a fine argument to my point

Dolnor
03-30-2013, 12:02 AM
I call them "characters" on public forums and "toons" to guild/clan mates and friends.

And please take your argument over to ToonTown Online and see how it is received! -)

TQQdles

gohan661
03-30-2013, 04:26 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_macxg33ZsV1rees26o1_500.jpg

I actually call them toons (from CoH/V days) but i had to post anyway

Shogo_Yahagi
03-30-2013, 06:34 AM
I picked up the usage of toon from the context, but I've always called them chars. Then again, I'm old school.

Khufu
03-30-2013, 09:25 AM

How surprising is it when 20 people have to post about how amazed they are that the thread is still going? Don't post in a thread you deem to be unworthy and you won't bump it to the top of the page. Pretty simple.

Khufu
03-30-2013, 09:27 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_macxg33ZsV1rees26o1_500.jpg

I actually call them toons (from CoH/V days) but i had to post anyway

The tool is the person who made that graphic. WoW is not where MMO's began and it had nothing to do with adding or subtracting from the lexicon.

Are you aloud to curse on these forums??? I'd think that image is some kind of violation.

TheOz
03-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Never, EVER, heard anyone call characters in video games toons before.
Damn . . . .
. . . . Now, I REALLY wish I had never heard it. It is a quite lame AND disturbing term.

Irres169
03-30-2013, 11:53 AM
From now on I will say "Toons" just to annoy people who get easily annoyed by this.

SSlarg
03-30-2013, 11:56 AM
From now on I will say "Toons" just to annoy people who get easily annoyed by this.

lol Krazy ;)

DepreszD
03-30-2013, 12:55 PM
The tool is the person who made that graphic. WoW is not where MMO's began and it had nothing to do with adding or subtracting from the lexicon.

Are you aloud to curse on these forums??? I'd think that image is some kind of violation.

The violation is that GAY azz name!! lol

Khufu
03-30-2013, 02:25 PM
The violation is that GAY azz name!! lol

If you're addressing me then you have no clue who Khufu was. Always telling when someone has to use the word "gay" to describe something.

Grimwyrd
03-30-2013, 02:39 PM
"Stop calling them toons"

You're not the boss of me!
Toons! Toons! Toons!

Darqy
03-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Toons is just another word for your characters/avatars.. get on with the program dude! :P

Desidus
03-30-2013, 04:18 PM
How surprising is it when 20 people have to post about how amazed they are that the thread is still going? Don't post in a thread you deem to be unworthy and you won't bump it to the top of the page. Pretty simple.

I didn't say I cared I was just surprised is all.

Dr EveHill
03-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Really you want to complain about that guys pic he posted? Yes it has a curse word in it and yes that is most likely against the rules and I am sure a mod will come by warn him and maybe. remove the pic in time. But really pointing it out means you most likely reported it to and being a snitch is worse than calling something a toon or character or avachartoon that's a loon.

Khufu
03-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Really you want to complain about that guys pic he posted? Yes it has a curse word in it and yes that is most likely against the rules and I am sure a mod will come by warn him and maybe. remove the pic in time. But really pointing it out means you most likely reported it to and being a snitch is worse than calling something a toon or character or avachartoon that's a loon.

You assume too much. I also never complained about the pic itself but the message it conveyed. Because the person that posted that pic had to use a meme to express their feelings does not mean they are beyond being criticized.

Grune
03-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Been playing MMOGs since EQ in 1999. They were toons back then, they've been toons since, and they will continue to be toons forevermore. Sorry about your luck

SETit_allABLAZE
03-30-2013, 10:45 PM
I agree, im not 12 so I dont say toon lol

gohan661
03-31-2013, 02:45 AM
You assume too much. I also never complained about the pic itself but the message it conveyed. Because the person that posted that pic had to use a meme to express their feelings does not mean they are beyond being criticized.

I did not make the meme neither do i agree with it.. just appropriate for current topic.

Furthermore, http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rcCNTAE2L._SL450_.jpg

It's pegi 18, I realise you do not need to purchase the game to be on the forums but as it's linked to the game and will be illegal to buy the game for anyone under 18 (i also realise this will not stop underlings obtaining it) the language is appropriate to target audience. To anyone who doesn't like it can suck my left one.

M00N
03-31-2013, 03:20 AM
i use toon mostly becouse its so damn faster to type! specially when your in the action or typing to several people what ever :)

character = char sure sometimes

Irres169
03-31-2013, 03:44 AM
I can't wait to make my Toon.

Mysfit
03-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Maybe so ......but it just feels so out of place in this game.......its like calling g.I. joe a doll

shhh it is a doll ;)

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 12:12 PM
shhh it is a doll ;)

Action figure! *strikes manly pose* :D

velvet
03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Action figure! *strikes manly pose* :D

With kungfu grip.

6Strummer
03-31-2013, 02:30 PM
With kungfu grip.

Testosterone sold separately

Irres169
03-31-2013, 03:23 PM
With kungfu grip.

didn't I cover this already?? :p

Orich
03-31-2013, 09:12 PM
I refuse to call my characters "toons", the term does not sound good to me; it makes it seem like they are just something that is disconnected from the world that they play in. "Characters" seems like a much more fitting term.

PapaMudd
03-31-2013, 10:12 PM
generally speaking any type of character/persona controlled by a player is reffered to as an avatar... where as character can refer to any type of character whether it be player controlled or AI controlled

Kazamario
04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Toon FTW ^_^

Dr EveHill
04-01-2013, 07:48 PM
O.O this came back lmao. . .

I will state again call it want you want but we all know the correct term is Character or avatar. I will not go into detail for my reasoning as if you read the whole thread you will see my point or at least be able to make a post with reasoning to make me change my mind.

TheNeoReaper
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Theres a sex out there called female. Good luck mating with one little boys.

6Strummer
04-01-2013, 08:18 PM
O.O this came back lmao. . .

I will state again call it want you want but we all know the correct term is Character or avatar. I will not go into detail for my reasoning as if you read the whole thread you will see my point or at least be able to make a post with reasoning to make me change my mind.

Your reasoning wasn't persuasive enough to change a long used traditional term. Better luck next time.

Dr EveHill
04-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Your reasoning wasn't persuasive enough to change a long used traditional term. Better luck next time.

ah but character has been used far longer to describe a alternate reality character in a game. most likely before your time but before MMO's there where these games that individuals would show up to play and they never called them toons. but even when the first mmo came out it was kids that began to refer to there multiple characters as toons as they did not understand the difference between them.

switching into anime yes anime not cartoons cartoons have "Toons" in them and anime have animated characters that are developed with a progression for older people watching. Toons is a character that is looney. well if you don't agree with this or any of my other statements then so be it I did try to assist in my thought on the subject and wish you the best in defiance. (I am hyped I am excited to install and login tomorrow when I pick it up)

Khufu
04-01-2013, 08:39 PM
ah but character has been used far longer to describe a alternate reality character in a game. most likely before your time but before MMO's there where these games that individuals would show up to play and they never called them toons. but even when the first mmo came out it was kids that began to refer to there multiple characters as toons as they did not understand the difference between them.

switching into anime yes anime not cartoons cartoons have "Toons" in them and anime have animated characters that are developed with a progression for older people watching. Toons is a character that is looney. well if you don't agree with this or any of my other statements then so be it I did try to assist in my thought on the subject and wish you the best in defiance. (I am hyped I am excited to install and login tomorrow when I pick it up)

You can have your yaoi characters, I'll take my MMO toon, thanks.

Nero
04-01-2013, 08:46 PM
You can have your yaoi characters, I'll take my MMO toon, thanks.
ICWYDT

Really though is it hurting anyone that badly whether they call a character a toon, an alt, a character, an avatar, a digime (My buddy uses this term) or anything else? Is is going to kill you when you really know what they are talking about?

I personally use the term main/alt. "I'm gonna hop on my main and kill some hellbugs" or "Hold on, let me jump on my alt brb" blah blah blah relevant argument, blah blah comment making me look like an ***, blah blah blah self reflective statement, blah blah informative link, blah blah ragequit.

Feel free to fill in the words and finish my side of the conversation for me.

THE CRAZZED
04-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Agreed Mine are Characters and Toons are what the 7-17 year olds have lol

Dr EveHill
04-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Not into Yaoi but you obviously are.

just out of curiosity you all know the difference between a graphic novel and comic? If so why not anime and cartoon? or ****** and anime. there are differences and reasons behind those differences.

well im done feeding you all unless I read something worth replying too I need a another beer lol

Dr EveHill
04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
wow they censored that. . . well if you know ya know if ya don't ya don't

Dr EveHill
04-01-2013, 08:52 PM
is ecchi censored too?

I see its not

Zondar
04-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Im goin to call my WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM..... WHAT I WANT TO CALL THEM... so there.

mrkennyschafer
04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
People who have played MMO's for a long time use a type of slang that they expect others to know, like myself. "Toons" is not derogatory or talking down on our characters, its just a shorter term and less keystrokes. This is helpful when you are in chat window and get a little tired of typing character all the time. It's called evolution people, you're in the MMO world now, please adapt!

Dr EveHill
04-01-2013, 11:35 PM
hmmm OK lets all agree to call it what TRION devs decided to call it as they are the ones who put time and effort into the development of this game. So everyone go create your "TOON" oh wait what does it say? create character or create toon?

zKid
04-02-2013, 03:15 AM
This thread is useless

gavindor
04-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Omg so bored waiting for gamestop to open that made me laugh so hard! GI joe is a doll lol

Roikku
04-02-2013, 06:51 AM
FYI the use of "toons" has only been popular in the americas. In europe it's been always "character" and will stay that way. No kiddies in Eu.

knightseed
04-02-2013, 06:59 AM
I say character as well but in some game`s i type char or what there real name`s are for that game.
:eek:

BigRamsay
04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Is Avatoons an acceptable term?

Hokry
04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
I have never heard the term toon until I read this thread. That aside I think I will start using it from now on just because this is what you choose to complain about... Now excuse me while I make a new toon.

Bobbyieboy
04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Really hate to mention it but toon and avatar are the same thing.

It is still just the graphical representation of the user or the user's alter ego.

Both are correct we all might have a preference but it's just that our preference.