PDA

View Full Version : HELP! how do i get my controller to work IN GAME

Lizz_Zeevi
07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm on the pc platform, trying to get a PC controller to work. i can't get it to. someone suggested a DS3 tool but it didn't work. my pc controller (steelseries) comes up on the control panel as a controller, but not on the device manager. my xbox360 (wireless, but plugged with the cord) comes up on the device manager as a controller, but not on the control panel. i can't get either to work in game. both devices show that the drivers are up to date.
any ideas??? i can't use the frigging keyboard to play to save my life (in fact, my character has died often already trying to). i play on the xbox360 too but my kids are always interrupting me to play something.
of course i've asked for tech support, and i know as you read that you are cracking up because they are USELESS

OverDoneOne
07-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Try hitting F5 ingame and then click on the mouse icon in the top row and once in there click on show controller UI and then you should be able to rebind all the different control/keyboard functions from keyboard to your controller

Oh BTW you might have to wait to even get on the game today, since trion is having major problems with Defiance

Night Demon
07-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Lizz i tried to do what you doing with the xbox with the charge cable that will not work you need one that is hard wired by factory there might be a way to do it wireless throw blue tooth just google xbox 360 controler on pc

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/xbox-controller-for-windows-setup

is the official support guide. good luck

twitch reflex
07-25-2013, 02:31 PM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/jhoke13/GIF%20Images/xbox_360_windows_adapter.jpgyou need this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1PU0M52209&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Xbox+360+Accessories-_-9SIA1PU0M52209

Night Demon
07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Def do not buy that cheap version from new egg go to game stop or some where even look at the reviews for what he linked lol. its a cheap knock off

my advise on the keyboard. try to get a lil bit better mouse like a Microsoft Comfort Mouse, its not very pricey it has a good Dpi and has side keys on it so you can Roll easier or what ever you set the keys to. it will help you a good bit if you don't want to spend money to get a better mouse / get the wireless pad. then just practice no one cares you died. just keep trying till you get better all pc gamers have to sometime. i play a lot of pc games so the change over wasn't to bad for me.

twitch reflex
07-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Def do not buy that cheap version from new egg go to game stop or some where even look at the reviews for what he linked lol. its a cheap knock off
Yeah dont buy the cheap version buy the version that cost twice as much and does the same thing.

You could also just buy a wired controller and it wont need an adaptor.

Night Demon
07-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah dont buy the cheap version buy the version that cost twice as much and does the same thing.

you want the official Microsoft one sense.... it uses driver issued from Microsoft the one you linked does not support native drivers for windows 8 or anything newer then when they made that piece of junk the official one only cost 20$ if your that Butt hurt over 9$ for quality then you are a very sad man

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2

twitch reflex
07-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Lizz i tried to do what you doing with the xbox with the charge cable that will not work you need one that is hard wired by factory there might be a way to do it wireless throw blue tooth just google xbox 360 controler on pc

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/xbox-controller-for-windows-setup

is the official support guide. good luck

dont try this lol xbox does not use bluetooth

OverDoneOne
07-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Sorry I misread your post

You need the motion joy software to get an x-box or PS3 control to be recognised in the control panel, do a google search for it or another one, they are out there. When my carpel tunnel gave me fits I used motion joy to run a PS3 controller in Defiance and it works with X-Box controllers too, even has a default setup you can use to get going quicker than makin a custom one

Try searching for; using an X-Box controller on pc and that should find them

BTW It's a free program so don't buy it, some sites try to sell it, but the official site doesn't

Vega
07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
          

twitch reflex
07-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Cool theres a few people to bounce a similar issue at since there is a crisis currently going on and it would be a low priority about now. Got me a wired x-box controller works on my pc(tested and all) but not in game even with the UI enabled. Was looking at controller emulation software but saw that emulation software can be considered cheating by certain server security programs. So may just skip that route. Any other ideas or possible work arounds? Cheers

So does the controller work on other games on PC, Im not sure by what you mean tested and all.

OverDoneOne
07-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Sorry misedit made double post

OverDoneOne
07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
So does the controller work on other games on PC, Im not sure by what you mean tested and all.

Motion Joy works with Defiance and that's only if you don't miss use it, it only has a turbo function and as long as you don't enable it Trion is cool with it, enable turbo and the game will spot it

I should know I told them all about it a month ago and since then they have cracked down on repeater keyboards, mouses and controllers

Daas
07-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Sorry I misread your post

You need the motion joy software to get an x-box or PS3 control to be recognised in the control panel, do a google search for it or another one, they are out there. When my carpel tunnel gave me fits I used motion joy to run a PS3 controller in Defiance and it works with X-Box controllers too, even has a default setup you can use to get going quicker than makin a custom one

Try searching for; using an X-Box controller on pc and that should find them

BTW It's a free program so don't buy it, some sites try to sell it, but the official site doesn't

You do not need anything other than the MSoft Windows drivers to use an xbox controller on a pc with this game. Turn controller on as mentioned above and you'll be all set. [Edit: I know this as I play with a wired xbox controller currently]

If you're using a ps3 controller then you will need a 3rd party program as MSoft doesn't support the Sony product, as shocking as that may sound =)

Strontium Dog
07-26-2013, 06:05 AM
JUst go here > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows and get the right drivers . It works every time easily after that even without UI enabled.

Vega
07-26-2013, 12:08 PM
          

spddy
07-26-2013, 12:44 PM
it does work on windows 8, cause I am using it and wireless controller with the 360 adapter for wireless from amazon.
Right click on Computer
Go to Properties
Click on Device Manager
Right click on the Unidentified Device
Go to Properties
Go to the Drive tab
Click on Update Driverů
Browse my computer for driver software
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Windows Common Controller for Window Class
Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009]
Update Driver Warning
Click Yes

Vega
07-31-2013, 04:15 PM
          

Apex
08-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Joystixpro.com any of the free downloads work fine with my 360 controller.

Birginda
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Joystixpro.com any of the free downloads work fine with my 360 controller.

But what about with the original X-box controller? I might be wrong but I thought that the OP was asking about the X-box, not the X-box 360.

Both controllers are USB compatible, but only the 360 comes with a USB plug. I bought a X-box plug to USB adapter cable for my old X-box controllers and with the XBCD driver, they work fine in almost every game I have tried, but not with Defiance. I even tried installing the 360 Driver from microsoft, but that availed me nothing.

All I want my old X-box controller for is to drive with. Using the A & D keys to steer with is like driving while drunk!

Wizx13
08-03-2013, 06:18 AM
I use a Logitec Gamepad F310
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y309/Wizx13/F310_CTG_300_dpi_zpsa152ebe8.jpg

Check and see if your controller has some software that lets you set up a game profile for Defiance.

Keeper Riff
08-03-2013, 09:43 AM
I bought a X-box plug to USB adapter cable for my old X-box controllers and with the XBCD driver, they work fine in almost every game I have tried, but not with Defiance. I even tried installing the 360 Driver from microsoft, but that availed me nothing.

XBCD is a Directinput driver AFAIR. To make it work with Defiance, you need a Xinput emulator, like XBCD's internal wrapper or x360ce (http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/).

Birginda
08-06-2013, 03:41 PM
XBCD is a Directinput driver AFAIR. To make it work with Defiance, you need a Xinput emulator, like XBCD's internal wrapper or x360ce (http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/).

Thanks for the help. It wasn't intuitive at first. I had to dig into the tabs to find where to associate x360ce with Defiance.exe. After that, my old Xbox controller worked like a charm!