PDA

View Full Version : what about PS3 and Xbox?

Thomas1975
07-25-2013, 10:37 PM
First, I must say for the most part I love Defiance and think the game could go places. With that being said, I have to question Trionís reasons for every free and Demo copy of Defiance that they give out being for PC. I feel that if you are going to give out copies of the game is should be the personís choice of what system they get a copy for. Iím not bringing this up because I won a copy or anything, but because I feel that there is a push to try and get people off the PS3 and Xbox systems. I just want to see Trion pushing for more players on the PS3 and Xbox.

Gomly
07-26-2013, 02:11 AM
Must .. resist .. urge .. to start a PC V's console war.

Wtflag
07-26-2013, 02:33 AM
A copy of the PC defiance costs almost nothing for the company. It is just a few GB download though Trion's website. There are overhead costs such as support and bandwidth of course, but they are basically sunk cost. So the cost of a copy of PC defiance is a few cents probably.

A "free" copy of defiance on console is very different. It has to be delivered by the console's network which means there are charges from Microsoft or Sony who should get their cut for the use of their network and the ongoing bandwidth that will be consumed by normal playing. The cost of a console copy of Defiance is whatever Microsoft or Sony's cut should be, $10 or something.

But it is really less of a matter of Trion been a skinflint but more of how annoying and complicated the approval and accounting process would be.

Flank
07-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Also price drops to $20 on consoles and is now only $10 for pc.
If this doesn't bring in a flood of new hunters.. I fear the game
will cease to exsist..

N3gativeCr33p
07-26-2013, 06:17 AM

You and me both... you and me both...

NomadPhx
07-26-2013, 06:21 AM
so since playstation home is way more MMO than defiance and that always works wouldn't that imply that crapbox cant handle it, not playstaion? xbox has ALWAYS been on the lower end of hardware i.e. countless red rings of death.

Caswallawn
07-26-2013, 07:19 AM
A copy of the PC defiance costs almost nothing for the company. It is just a few GB download though Trion's website. There are overhead costs such as support and bandwidth of course, but they are basically sunk cost. So the cost of a copy of PC defiance is a few cents probably.

A "free" copy of defiance on console is very different. It has to be delivered by the console's network which means there are charges from Microsoft or Sony who should get their cut for the use of their network and the ongoing bandwidth that will be consumed by normal playing. The cost of a console copy of Defiance is whatever Microsoft or Sony's cut should be, $10 or something.

But it is really less of a matter of Trion been a skinflint but more of how annoying and complicated the approval and accounting process would be.

your slightly off there loads of games have demos on consoles, it's nothing to do with costs it's just they can't be bothered to do it.

also all game servers on the PS3 are ran by the publisher/developer and not Sony so the servers for PS3 cost no more than on PC, the MS walled garden is a bit difference as MS keeps control of everything.

it's the same as until recently MS charged something stupid for every patch a firm wanted to put out.

but really Sony don't care about giving out demos look at all the full game trials and full free games you get on PS+ Sony are very willing to do anything that could get them some sales and keep the users happy.

MS on the hand say Live is their house and no one is coming in unless they give MS a fortune.

as for the cut the consoles take from digital sales it is normally around 30% (the same as with steam) with physical sales the publisher pays per disc, so if they ship a load of discs and then only sell 1% no matter what the publisher would be massively out of pocket as they would of had to pay to get each of those discs encoded/signed for the hardware.

gobi42
07-26-2013, 07:21 AM
yeah but what they don't tell you is it is (72 hours from the time you click yes i want the free trial not 72 hours of in game, so anytime downloading it (or not being able to due to patcher errors) count towards the 72 hours. Unlike console free trail start as soon as you start the game not when you start installing it. FYI they will not be extending free trial time due to these issues, servers are unplayable, no extention will be given. basicly if you started your free trail yesterday or the day before you are just out that time.
i've owned my xbox for over 3 years and have never gotten a red ring of death(FYI the red ring of death hasn't happend since the slim)

Thomas1975
07-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Well Defiance is able to be digitally downloaded on PSN. Not sure about the Xbox. So all they would need to do is send a code. I was just thinking that if they don’t push more people our way we could see the PS3 and Xbox, servers get closed.

As far as the Xbox Red Ring of death. That was caused because someone at Microsoft did not make a proper heat sink for that version of the 360. The repair really cost $0.04 to fix it. I made a killing fixing out of warranty Xbox’s for some time.

I feel bad for the people that got jacked on the demo because of the server problems yesterday. I guess the only thing I can say to that is at least they didn’t lose anything as it is a demo. And I could be wrong here but was the free demo not just for the PC? Like I said I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

gobi42
07-26-2013, 08:31 AM
yeah it is pc only. The issue with the pc free trail is the way they set it up. i had the same issues with the beta would drop downloading(my guess is that i got disconected from thier server(read yesterday server issues)) and they contiuned to tell me it was on my end even after doing everything the live support agent suggested, they didn't want to nor would they take responsibilty for this(Contiuned to say the issue was with both of my computers(yes i tried it on two separte computers with the same results))

Caswallawn
07-26-2013, 08:34 AM
As far as the Xbox Red Ring of death. That was caused because someone at Microsoft did not make a proper heat sink for that version of the 360. The repair really cost $0.04 to fix it. I made a killing fixing out of warranty Xbox’s for some time.

actually the RROD cost MS billions in the long run, it wasn't just a case of the heatsink as it was possible to reduce your risk of it happening with some washers and correctly applied thermal paste, but even after that it was still possible to get the RROD.

the real reason for it was because MS decided to in house produce the consoles to save money, something that was always a bad idea as MS is a software house, but it is hard to outsource the creation of console hardware as all the profit comes from licensing (the PS3 and 360 both lost between $100-$200 each console sold at launch) but due to MS cutting corners they use inferior PCB and a clamp system that could cause the motherboard to flex and warp, this coupled with the cheap solder used to hold components caused microcracks in the solder disconnecting RAM chips and in some extreme cases the CPU/GPU, this is where the oven/towel trick came from as you got the heat that hot the solder melted and resealed the cracks.

so the RROD was an easy fix to fix it as a one off, but it took MS about 14 heatsink and clamp revisions and changing the manufacturing firm to actually solve the problem, I seem to remember reading in repairs/replacements and R&D it cost MS somewhere around $4billion to deal with the RROD and all because they tried to save money on production costs.

as for MS making money for out of warranty repairs in the EU all 360's no matter the age had to be repaired free of charge if they got the RROD, the EU courts even backed this up as they classed the device as having been sold not fit for purpose meaning MS was 100% at fault and had to pay for the repairs.

gobi42
07-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Well Defiance is able to be digitally downloaded on PSN. Not sure about the Xbox. So all they would need to do is send a code. I was just thinking that if they don’t push more people our way we could see the PS3 and Xbox, servers get closed.

I must agree with this.
A free trial on xbox and ps3 would help get the playerbase back up on these along with pc.

NomadPhx
07-26-2013, 08:48 AM
well then your probably in the 10% that didnt get it because my brother and all his friends went through at least 2 before they started switching to ps3.

Thomas1975
07-26-2013, 09:05 AM
actually the RROD cost MS billions in the long run, it wasn't just a case of the heatsink as it was possible to reduce your risk of it happening with some washers and correctly applied thermal paste, but even after that it was still possible to get the RROD.

the real reason for it was because MS decided to in house produce the consoles to save money, something that was always a bad idea as MS is a software house, but it is hard to outsource the creation of console hardware as all the profit comes from licensing (the PS3 and 360 both lost between $100-$200 each console sold at launch) but due to MS cutting corners they use inferior PCB and a clamp system that could cause the motherboard to flex and warp, this coupled with the cheap solder used to hold components caused microcracks in the solder disconnecting RAM chips and in some extreme cases the CPU/GPU, this is where the oven/towel trick came from as you got the heat that hot the solder melted and resealed the cracks.

so the RROD was an easy fix to fix it as a one off, but it took MS about 14 heatsink and clamp revisions and changing the manufacturing firm to actually solve the problem, I seem to remember reading in repairs/replacements and R&D it cost MS somewhere around $4billion to deal with the RROD and all because they tried to save money on production costs.

as for MS making money for out of warranty repairs in the EU all 360's no matter the age had to be repaired free of charge if they got the RROD, the EU courts even backed this up as they classed the device as having been sold not fit for purpose meaning MS was 100% at fault and had to pay for the repairs.

I am Happy that MS had to fix all the Xbox RROD in the EU. But in the states this was not the case. and when i said it cost MS $0.04 to fix i meant per unit not over all.

Caswallawn
07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
I am Happy that MS had to fix all the Xbox RROD in the EU. But in the states this was not the case. and when i said it cost MS $0.04 to fix i meant per unit not over all.

most "fixes" will of actually cost them considerably more as like most firms they just scrapped the old motherboard and heat sink replacing it for new/refurbished motherboards and the latest version of the heat sink, it's actually very rare any firm actually fixes electrical products in most cases you just get a direct replacement.

this is why when I sent my old 40gig fat PS3 in to Sony (the usual Sony trick of a dead disc drive) they sent me back a 120gig PS3 slim as they don't actually repair and the fats had been discontinued, it was done so they could replace the console in 3 days (day one phone call, day 2 they picked up the old, day 3 the new one came) they said I could of had a fat back but it would of took up to 3 months to remanufacture.

Thomas1975
07-26-2013, 09:15 AM
yeah it is pc only. The issue with the pc free trail is the way they set it up. i had the same issues with the beta would drop downloading(my guess is that i got disconected from thier server(read yesterday server issues)) and they contiuned to tell me it was on my end even after doing everything the live support agent suggested, they didn't want to nor would they take responsibilty for this(Contiuned to say the issue was with both of my computers(yes i tried it on two separte computers with the same results))

I understand where you are coming from. Remember though that most T1 tech support are staffed by people that have no formal computer training. Therefor they have no idea what to tell you other than what the computer they are looking at tells them to tell you. From what I can tell there is no T2 or T3 support offered by Trion. Because if this was the case the T1 support guy would have given you to them.

Thomas1975
07-26-2013, 09:19 AM
most "fixes" will of actually cost them considerably more as like most firms they just scrapped the old motherboard and heat sink replacing it for new/refurbished motherboards and the latest version of the heat sink, it's actually very rare any firm actually fixes electrical products in most cases you just get a direct replacement.

this is why when I sent my old 40gig fat PS3 in to Sony (the usual Sony trick of a dead disc drive) they sent me back a 120gig PS3 slim as they don't actually repair and the fats had been discontinued, it was done so they could replace the console in 3 days (day one phone call, day 2 they picked up the old, day 3 the new one came) they said I could of had a fat back but it would of took up to 3 months to remanufacture.

Trust me I understand. I'm just saying that the cost to stop the problem before it blew up was the cost of the washers you stated in your post. I know they replaced a lot of them. paying the $0.04 on the first place would have saved them billions.

gobi42
07-26-2013, 09:28 AM
I understand where you are coming from. Remember though that most T1 tech support are staffed by people that have no formal computer training. Therefor they have no idea what to tell you other than what the computer they are looking at tells them to tell you. From what I can tell there is no T2 or T3 support offered by Trion. Because if this was the case the T1 support guy would have given you to them. the best part is i have already purached 2 copies for the xbox 360 at 60 bucks a pop, bought the season pass on xbox, bought the ps3 version at 50 bucks and was thinking about picking up a copy for my pc(since i'm thinking aobut going to pc instead of a next gen console).

Jay Common
07-26-2013, 09:32 AM
(FYI the red ring of death hasn't happend since the slim)

AWWWWWW SNAP!!!!!

Only took them 6 years to fix it? In this example Trion moves at LIGHTSPEED!!!!

:D

gobi42
07-26-2013, 09:34 AM
AWWWWWW SNAP!!!!!

Only took them 6 years to fix it? In this example Trion moves at LIGHTSPEED!!!!

:D
lol sorry but that is funny

Thomas1975
07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
the best part is i have already purached 2 copies for the xbox 360 at 60 bucks a pop, bought the season pass on xbox, bought the ps3 version at 50 bucks and was thinking about picking up a copy for my pc(since i'm thinking aobut going to pc instead of a next gen console).

Why did you buy so many copies? You do know that all your content is saved on their servers and not the units?

gobi42
07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Why did you buy so many copies? You do know that all your content is saved on their servers and not the units?
while this is true stuff does not go from one system to another sadly :(

One of the xbox copies was for my girlfriend so she could play(decided she hates everything but cod bs). bought a ps3 cause i could and decided to get it for that(primary where i play now due to a good clan and players willing to revive random people, got sick of players on xbox running past while i was down and not tring to help out.) I just got my gaming rig back up and online thought it'd be cool to check out the pc version with much better graphics and maybe cut the random disconects(only real compliant about ps3 version) and from what i understand(might be dead wrong) there are less graphic glitches on the pc version than on the ps3 and xbox.

Thomas1975
07-26-2013, 10:00 AM

One of the xbox copies was for my girlfriend so she could play(decided she hates everything but cod bs). bought a ps3 cause i could and decided to get it for that(primary where i play now due to a good clan and players willing to revive random people, got sick of players on xbox running past while i was down and not tring to help out.) I just got my gaming rig back up and online thought it'd be cool to check out the pc version with much better graphics and maybe cut the random disconects(only real compliant about ps3 version) and from what i understand(might be dead wrong) there are less graphic glitches on the pc version than on the ps3 and xbox.

ok now I understand.

N3gativeCr33p
07-26-2013, 10:41 AM
the best part is i have already purached 2 copies for the xbox 360 at 60 bucks a pop, bought the season pass on xbox, bought the ps3 version at 50 bucks and was thinking about picking up a copy for my pc (since i'm thinking aobut going to pc instead of a next gen console).

LOL! Hardcore Defiance fan of the year, right here... ^^^ ;)

gobi42
07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
LOL! Hardcore Defiance fan of the year, right here... ^^^ ;)
lol what can i say there just something about them dam bugs :)

Thomas1975
07-26-2013, 10:47 AM
lol what can i say there just something about them dam bugs :)

I was told they taste Like KFC

gobi42
07-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I was told they taste Like KFC

Darn i knew that taste was fimilar :)

Atticus Batman
07-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Can't say you are crazy or wrong about any of that really. BUt I am an Xbox player and had a VERY bad night defiance wisae and kept getting owned by Volge and everytime people were around they tryed their hardest to get me up. Maybe it's because I play at night and most of the jerks play during the day and afternoon, but very rarely get left for dead on purpose.

gobi42
07-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Can't say you are crazy or wrong about any of that really. BUt I am an Xbox player and had a VERY bad night defiance wisae and kept getting owned by Volge and everytime people were around they tryed their hardest to get me up. Maybe it's because I play at night and most of the jerks play during the day and afternoon, but very rarely get left for dead on purpose.
well it's good to know that there are good players out there yet, and yeah it was the same thing for me voluge kick me and it was right in front of iron demon ranch and i laided on the ground till the bar had just about ran out counted over 30 people just run by me or over me, can say i haven't been back since. I go down for any time at all on ps3 and you can watch players change course to come help out. Might have just been a bad night but still.

Atticus Batman
07-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Sorry I already started one, albeit a small one right now. http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?113105-Defiance-on-PS4-and-XBOX-ONE

Thomas1975
07-26-2013, 12:24 PM
You should never go down. Your Batman Damn it....lol

Atticus Batman
07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
You should never go down. Your Batman Damn it....lol Even Batman has a bad night when a big brute is involved!
http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/27306/BANE_breaking_batman_060311.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s_S15pI2s58/Tyv-_-_669I/AAAAAAAAB5A/U27Dm_YrMWs/s1600/batman_bane_12.jpg

But I never stop!!

http://www.everyjoe.com/files/2009/08/batmanarkhamasylum2_thumb.jpg

N3gativeCr33p
07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Even Batman has a bad night when a big brute is involved!
http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/27306/BANE_breaking_batman_060311.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s_S15pI2s58/Tyv-_-_669I/AAAAAAAAB5A/U27Dm_YrMWs/s1600/batman_bane_12.jpg

Oh, I remember that issue of Batman very well... almost made me shed a tear or two.

Atticus Batman
07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Oh, I remember that issue of Batman very well... almost made me shed a tear or two.

Now or back then? It still always makes me cringe in pain! Of course that could be because I shattered my ribs irl around the time that came out.

lordchun
07-26-2013, 03:08 PM
To answer your question TC. It's because the Pee-Cee sucks. It's soo bad they give copies away just in hopes to add players on that server. ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY XBOX MASTER RACE

Suck it Pee-Cee ;P

Caswallawn
07-26-2013, 04:11 PM
To answer your question TC. It's because the Pee-Cee sucks. It's soo bad they give copies away just in hopes to add players on that server. ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY XBOX MASTER RACE

Suck it Pee-Cee ;P

you are aware that the 360 runs on a modified version of windows and the XB1 will run on a modified version of windows 8, so without PC your console of choice wouldn't even have an OS.

but that is before you even take into account if MS did make up for the billions they lose on the MS games section with PC software sales the Xbox wouldn't even be on the market.

always nice to back the three legged donkey that only get over the start line on life support.