PDA

View Full Version : Is there a head-start period?

Katarina
03-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Okay I preorder the collectors edition from Best Buy, and Enter my preorder code on Defiance site which I got by email but wont get the actual game for a few days after release sadly.

I have a question to if there is a Pre-Order HeadStart, or if we all will be able to login to the game and play on the day the game is launched?

Will Beta 3 be wiped too?

Thanks ;)

Newsin
03-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Okay I preorder the collectors edition from Best Buy, and Enter my preorder code on Defiance site which I got by email but wont get the actual game for a few days after release sadly.

I have a question to if there is a Pre-Order HeadStart, or if we all will be able to login to the game and play on the day the game is launched?

Will Beta 3 be wiped too?

Thanks ;)

So far no. A lot of unhappy people.

iiReLaX o
03-28-2013, 08:41 PM
1. Since the servers are more than likely going online April 2nd, there will be no head-start for any players. So everyone will be able to play on April 2nd. Everyone is going to start playing on April 2nd.

2. AMB3 is going to be wiped. No characters or items will be kept.

Cryptor
03-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Every "serious" mmorpg will wipe all betas before release.

Katarina
03-28-2013, 08:53 PM
So I will be able to login and play on April 2nd even if I dont have the game yet but enter my PreOrder code?

iiReLaX o
03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
So I will be able to login and play on April 2nd even if I dont have the game yet but enter my PreOrder code?

No. The game requires installation onto a flash or hard drive. So the disc is essential.

Katarina
03-28-2013, 09:20 PM
I already have the game download and upgrade though lol.

Warlander
03-28-2013, 09:23 PM
They really should do a head start, everyone trying to get in the same time is gonna make the servers ****.

Mok
03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
everyone trying to get in the same time is gonna make the servers ****.
I personally have experienced this in alot of games on release day but i don't see how it would be fair for some people to get a head start when most others have to wait to pick up or receive their game.

Kailis
03-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Sure lets open the flood gates right now on easter weekend with everyone on vacation. I can see the headlines already Worst launch in history (Not as bad as that city building game, but close)...
The articale can go something like this; A few lucky people got the game early, and demanded to play and trion decideded sure why not so they turned them on making the people that don't have the game yet mad. Now everyone that has the game logs in and they have some sort of problem (accounts not linking, can't login, etc), since its a holiday weekend game tickets take forever to get resolved so people come to the fourms to complain of there experiences of no help. Tuesday rolls around support is back logged so bad they can't launch the game because the few people that didn't get help spammed support with a alot tickets.

In the end no one wins hold your breath 3 more days and let them enjoy there well earned holiday weekend.

Katarina
03-29-2013, 04:44 AM
I dont care about a headstart I care that I am going to be able to login to the server exactly at 0:00 when the server comes up if the company fails to get my box here by the time the game goes live. Something the companies should think about before settings launch date.

Kroesis
03-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Unfortunately Trion cannot manipulate the mail system or the other companies who send out the game. For example, Game in the UK have already sent out a number of pre-orders so the recipients have already got them, where as Amazon in the UK have yet to even dispatch them. It's up to them to get it to you on time, not Trion.

Obviously with digital downloads, it's a tad different!

TechGnome
03-29-2013, 05:17 AM
I already have the game download and upgrade though lol.

IF you pre-ordered it, and are still waiting for it to arrive in the mail... then what did you install?

-tg

Katarina
03-29-2013, 05:19 AM
Was in Beta Poke Poke :3.

Got the client already updated and was wonderin if my preorder code from Best Buy allowed me to play exactly at 0:00 before the disc comes in mail lol.

Also there are other ways to get the client you know friends and well you know torrents but i dont want to go there although you cant play it online without a valid code anyways.

ExcuseMyMandarin
03-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Really annoyed there is no head start for us who have pre purchased, this because the 2. of April is the date I start working after easter holiday...

And! I am at the gathering, could use a good game to play until Sunday, haha

Blackwolfe
03-29-2013, 05:32 AM
Chances are that the guys at trion dont get back to work until the 1st. Then it takes time to get everything ready for launch day.

Dr D Wayne Love
03-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Was in Beta Poke Poke :3.

Got the client already updated and was wonderin if my preorder code from Best Buy allowed me to play exactly at 0:00 before the disc comes in mail lol.

Also there are other ways to get the client you know friends and well you know torrents but i dont want to go there although you cant play it online without a valid code anyways.

Are you saying your beta client has updated to the full game?
I didn't know that had happened.

dirtyklingon
03-29-2013, 06:10 AM
few things:

you don't need discs at all to play this or most/any other mmo. you can get the live launcher in your trion account page right now. and officially access tokens to begin preload are rolling out starting today. some of us were given access yday.

the beta client does NOT update to the live client.

there IS a wipe. it's not a f2p mmo where open beta is several weeks if not months and there is no wipe between it and "launch".

there is no headstart advertised for this game. so guess what, there is no headstart. there has been no mention of a grace period either. many of us who got digital purchases only got one code. i confirmed with trion CS yday that that's all we need, idk about physical box purchases that have been given a code.

there is no set time for servers going up. sledgehammer, the CM of defiance, says they are aiming for a midnight EST launch. your mileage may vary... also anyone who has done any of the betas should recall what has happened literally every single beta weekend in the first several minutes of the game going up.

if you're going to try logging in asap after servers go up, expect heavy turbulence.

ItISLupus
03-29-2013, 06:21 AM
They really should do a head start, everyone trying to get in the same time is gonna make the servers ****.

Head start for shoes who got their games already will anger those of us who bought the game from our brick and mortar gamestop. most gamestop stores might not have a midnight release due to the limited demographic this game screams at.

Choice
03-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Great info on thread, thnx.

Has anyone heard if or when we can start D/Ling the release client? I seem to remember beta invites coming out days early, release client too?

Dinova
03-29-2013, 07:44 AM
No. The game requires installation onto a flash or hard drive. So the disc is essential.
Huh? Digital purchase doesnt get a disc either, if you got the registration key for the account-page, it will do.

Great info on thread, thnx.

Has anyone heard if or when we can start D/Ling the release client? I seem to remember beta invites coming out days early, release client too?
Maybe the beta client can be used, to update to the live version?

TechGnome
03-29-2013, 11:25 AM
ahhh..... y'all must be on PC... it all becomes clearer now...

-tg

IGears
03-29-2013, 11:40 AM
once again another ridiculous thread

Cael
03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
With all due respect, I can't remember the last MMO I purchased that didn't have one or two days of head-start for pre-orders. Pretty disappointing way for Defiance to get started IMHO. Looking forward to the 2nd I suppose =\

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just really excited to play. Defiance is a really amazing game. So, it's hard to understand the reasoning on why there would not be a head start for pre-orders on a holiday (3-day) weekend. It's the perfect weekend to get the community started.

Ensu
03-29-2013, 12:09 PM
The real reason for headstarts is to stagger the launch dates to reduce pressure on the servers. I've been in MMO launches when the servers couldn't handle even the headstart server load, and days of the headstart were unplayable, defeating the purpose. In Defiance, everyone gets to start at the same time, which suggests Trion are confident their login server can handle the stress.

TheIgmo
03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
With all due respect, I can't remember the last MMO I purchased that didn't have one or two days of head-start for pre-orders. Pretty disappointing way for Defiance to get started IMHO. Looking forward to the 2nd I suppose =\

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just really excited to play. Defiance is a really amazing game. So, it's hard to understand the reasoning on why there would not be a head start for pre-orders on a holiday (3-day) weekend. It's the perfect weekend to get the community started.

I definitely wouldn't complain about a head start (I'm going to be stuck at home this weekend because of wisdom tooth extraction and would love to play), but normally if a company is planning on doing a head start, they announce it way in advance. I know I didn't pre-order expecting that the company would surprise me with something like that, so I'm not disappointed, and I'm not sure it would make sense to be disappointed that I wasn't getting something that I wasn't promised anyway.

Cael
03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
You're right. I'm stuck at home all weekend too, but you're right. I'll just patiently wait like everyone else =) Having a bit of "wish I could be playing right now" syndrome lol

I definitely wouldn't complain about a head start (I'm going to be stuck at home this weekend because of wisdom tooth extraction and would love to play), but normally if a company is planning on doing a head start, they announce it way in advance. I know I didn't pre-order expecting that the company would surprise me with something like that, so I'm not disappointed, and I'm not sure it would make sense to be disappointed that I wasn't getting something that I wasn't promised anyway.

TheIgmo
03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
You're right. I'm stuck at home all weekend too, but you're right. I'll just patiently wait like everyone else =) Having a bit of "wish I could be playing right now" syndrome lol

I definitely hear and wish the same :)

IGears
03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
I definitely hear and wish the same :)

well you're gonna hate me.. im in the Alpha and yesterday i uninstalled it.

Cael
03-29-2013, 12:28 PM
:::gathering angry mob:::

IGears
03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
:::gathering angry mob:::

lol, (exit, Stage left)

TechGnome
04-01-2013, 02:41 PM

GAH! That's it.... pre-order canceled!

-tg