PDA

View Full Version : BETA not as fun as we'd hoped?

Cheesy Stewdo
03-29-2013, 02:18 AM
So Mission 3 of the Defiance BETA came out last weekend and the NDA ban was also lifted so that people were able to post footage of the game on various video websites. I have a really small channel called '3 Idiots Playthroughs' and we decided to have a crack at this game and although they had promised so much we came out very empty handed. It actually started off really well but fairly quickly spiralled out of control after a fairly short period of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPDUWDHKH5A

What I want to know is, did you guys have a similar experience or did you come out of it actually wanting to buy the game, because we certainly did at the start...

And what do you think of our video?

Cheers, CS.

Mcdragon
03-29-2013, 02:26 AM
please ellaborate on how out of control it got because you could only go to one area. i dont understand how you could base the whole game off one portion of the game?

ANTI
03-29-2013, 02:34 AM
Quite the opposite, loved the game despite some of the imperfections. Pre-ordered on Steam because of last beta, when before I was on the fence. Though there were some glaring issues, I'm confident Trion will do everything in their power to fix the obvious ones and listen to community feedback on what might need to be changed. And the fact that there is a TV tie-in (really enjoyed the 14 minutes of the first episode so far) is only a plus in my book.

Komakala
03-29-2013, 02:39 AM
I've been involved in the alpha for a while and the most recent beta. If anything my interest in the game has grown after playing it. I'm looking forward to launch.

Gronix
03-29-2013, 02:47 AM
Err this is not just "a game" this is an experience, there is going to be a TV show as well! I am buying this! I am watching the show!

magenti
03-29-2013, 02:58 AM
So Mission 3 of the Defiance BETA came out last weekend and the NDA ban was also lifted so that people were able to post footage of the game on various video websites. I have a really small channel called '3 Idiots Playthroughs' and we decided to have a crack at this game and although they had promised so much we came out very empty handed. It actually started off really well but fairly quickly spiralled out of control after a fairly short period of time.

What I want to know is, did you guys have a similar experience or did you come out of it actually wanting to buy the game, because we certainly did at the start...

Cheers, CS.

OK first, what a hell you didn't like? IT was beta and they didnt promise anything in beta
Second, your video suck, if you want to advertise it, go somewhere else ))

kirix
03-29-2013, 02:58 AM
Beta is not for fun.
Beta is not a gameplay demo.
Beta is not an advert.

Beta is for TESTING.

why do we test ? to fault find and help improve the game because a small office full of people cant find the ammount of bugs a few thousend gamers can (for free to ).

Beta is Beta is Beta.

make your mind up on live content launched on the day not during a beta designed with place holders and testing in mind.

Sanguinesun
03-29-2013, 03:06 AM
I dunno.. this thread comes off more like an advert for the youtuber than anything else...

Corsair
03-29-2013, 03:37 AM
I wish people would stop pretending that they love this game. You all know exactly what the OP is talking about "empty handed" sums it up nicely. The game could be good If they fix the huge issues but please stop pretending its perfect and you love it there is clearly very little to the game and having a bigger area to explore/do nothing in wont change this.

Fingers crossed some things have already been fixed for the release (yes im aware its an old build). I preorderd before trying having faith in trion after playing Rift for a period and I hope my faith isnt misplaced.

Clarkeh
03-29-2013, 03:41 AM
This is what slightly irritates me when a streamer group tears into a game to which only a small portion of the game is shown, the whole point of the Beta was to show people what the game is like and allow them to get thier hands on it themselves and ofc to detect any bugs and give thier feedback on things like ofc the challenging UI for the PC version anyway.

I haven't watched your video yet so im unsure whether your just being unprofessional on the forums or your group itself is generally just unprofessional, at the end of the day doing a review on the starter zone which could be completey different come april 2nd is moot.

Edit: Yea three minutes into the video, unecessary bad langauge, derping around and not explaining what your doing in the character creation, you didn't even introduce what game your playing in this video.

Dan3000au
03-29-2013, 03:47 AM
at first i wasnt gonna get the game but after the none sleep 2 day event with it.... IM FREAKING EXCITED TO GET IT I ORDERED OFF STEAM!!
lol

Skydive
03-29-2013, 04:06 AM
I'd really like to know who this "we" business is all about, because it certainly ain't me or the few people I know who are interested in the game.

The Cliche "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is true no matter what you do. Some people will like it, some people will hate it, some people will be indifferent.

No game out there will appeal to absolutely everybody, hence why niche markets exists. For many people who are sick and tired of WoW clones, this is one of the relatively small percentage of MMOs that's different from it. No Holy trinty of classes. no waiting for x class to turn up so we can do stuff. Some people will like just for that fact alone.

Games develop over time, many of them vastly improving from the days they launch. Anyone who has played any MMO for a significant period of time will tell you how different a game is from the moment they started playing it to several years later. Star Trek Online is one game that is significantly different from the day it was launched, it has many more features today than it did when it came out. Star Wars Galaxies, again developed over time before its closure for both good and bad reasons. Even when the New Game Enhancements were introduced, people hated the changes, but many more things were added later on that improved on the experience, with many agreeing that if the features that the game had before it was closed were put in before the first set of combat changes, the game would not have had such a troubled lifespan.

Those of us who have spent more than a year playing a single MMO whatever MMO it is have generally found they are very different today than years ago. Take a look at World of Warcraft, 40 Man raids to 25/10 man raids that are common place today.

You look at Defiance and you look at all the potential things it could add to improve the experience, crafting, companions/pets

When you buy an MMO, its not a simple case of whether the game is good at launch, it's a question of do you believe in the potential for the game to develop!

Guyonbench
03-29-2013, 04:15 AM
My expectations from the weekend beta were not just met, but exceeded. If I were a rich man I would have upgraded my digital preorder to a delux, and gone out and bought a physical collecters edition.

Daholic
03-29-2013, 04:24 AM
You have no right to come here and express your opinion of this game if its different than the majority.

You have every right to make a thread demanding what can and cannot be said regarding what you call your character.

You have every right to discuss what you prefer to eat or drink while playing Defiance.

You do not have the right to present a specific reason for finding gameplay fault in a game that will be released in a week after beta.

You do not have the right to have a different beta experience.

You didnt know???, just read the threads...ive seen very well thought out posts about this game both good and bad, and of course, when the fanboy/skeptics ratio is 80/20..well, you cant win..lol in a game that absolutely depends on player participation, you may be told to not play the game if you havent expressed your undying love.

Cpt Blud
03-29-2013, 04:38 AM
Hrrm. What is the intended audience of a 'playthrough' of an expired beta? My advice is you need to rethink your content mate.

Oster
03-29-2013, 05:54 AM
The Beta was pretty much just what I expected, and aside from some technical issues, I had a lot of fun with it.

Although it does make me laugh when people use the "it's only a beta" line as some weird defense mechanism to anything that comes close to criticizing the game, like they actually expect overhauls to major features of the game a week before release. What you played is, for the most part, what you are going to get. No need to have delusions of grandeur about the launch-day patch that are unrealistic. Whether or not things change later is one thing, but if you didn't like the Beta, you are probably not going to like the launch-day version of the game either.

Seems like this is just a backhanded way for the OP to plug their channel. I would think they would know the majority of people still posting here apparently liked the Beta in some way and plan to stick around for the launch or they wouldn't still be here.

Mad
03-29-2013, 05:55 AM
I dunno.. this thread comes off more like an advert for the youtuber than anything else...

so true but if you actually watch the vid you can see why they call themselves 3 idiots

I wish people would stop pretending that they love this game. You all know exactly what the OP is talking about "empty handed" sums it up nicely. The game could be good If they fix the huge issues but please stop pretending its perfect and you love it there is clearly very little to the game and having a bigger area to explore/do nothing in wont change this.

Fingers crossed some things have already been fixed for the release (yes im aware its an old build). I preorderd before trying having faith in trion after playing Rift for a period and I hope my faith isnt misplaced.
Obviously you are dead wrong. People WILL love something because, as it was so nicely put by Terry Goodkind, "people are stupid". In modern day marketing its all about the flash and glamour. Pretty lights and nice colours sell more units then content/taste/functionality ever will.
That and the "Emporers new cloths" syndrom is prevalent. why admit you made a mistake when you can look like a bigger idiot going along after your error by pretending it never happened.

I'd really like to know who this "we" business is all about, because it certainly ain't me or the few people I know who are interested in the game.

well said .. especially the "FEW" part

The Cliche "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is true no matter what you do. Some people will like it, some people will hate it, some people will be indifferent.

i refer to my earlier Terry Goodkind quote ...

No game out there will appeal to absolutely everybody, hence why niche markets exists. For many people who are sick and tired of WoW clones, this is one of the relatively small percentage of MMOs that's different from it. ...

Games develop over time, many of them vastly improving from the days they launch...
You look at Defiance and you look at all the potential things it could add to improve the experience...

When you buy an MMO, its not a simple case of whether the game is good at launch, it's a question of do you believe in the potential for the game to develop!

after removing the pointless crap your post actually makes sense and is less likely to offend by its raging "omg you don't like it you have a problem" first glance appearence...

I fully agree with the (edited) post except .. the game is in primary stage beta development from what i saw ... i paid for it thinking it would at least be semi ready but it looks like they are just gonna release as is then do the modern thing of constantly adding new content before fixing the glitchy crap thats already there.

One reason GW2 was such a disappointment is they appear to have stopped actually doing anything to fix problems and just keep releasing new stuff to keep the 3 y/o attention span of the majority of users... which seems to be the general consensus of most game developers these days. After all how can you possibly fix anything if you continously adding new stuff.

All in all i'm very disapointed with current game progress but having already prepurchased months ago i will hope it gets better .. fast!!!

Travie
03-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Preordered to find out what hellbugs taste like. I'm betting shrimp, my buddy says lobster.

Mad
03-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Preordered to find out what hellbugs taste like. I'm betting shrimp, my buddy says lobster.
niether .. more like fried grub...

dirtyklingon
03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
i played first two beta weekend. skipped the 3rd session because when i tried to log in a couple hours after it started i got server is busy error.

warmed up on the game in the final session. enough to buy it and show it to guildies to get them interested.

i mean it's pretty cheaply made, heavy on the consolitis, but it's decent enough to play for a few weeks in the absence of anything else going on atm.

it's overpriced for what it is at $60, which is why i looked for it cheaper instead of buying it on steam or from trion directly. even without a sub it's some what poor value at this price.

it still ha dsome pretty big issues in the lat beta, whoich i doubt will be fixed at launch. but it being a trion game alone, nevermind a game tied to a show or movie, i expect it to be poorer than avrage quality.

in short i know what i'm buying, and have no problems with it. but i anticpate epic rage as per usual next week.

dreadburn
03-29-2013, 07:46 AM

I had already bought the game after only watching the promotional videos. I didn't play to much over the Beta 3 weekend, just enough to get a feel for the controls and weapons. I found the game very enjoyable apart from the chat and not being able to steer the quad at all.
The UI took a bit of getting used to and after about 8-10 hours I stopped playing to keep the new quests and races new.

It actually started off really well but fairly quickly spiralled out of control after a fairly short period of time.

Be more specific as to why it
fairly quickly spiralled out of control ?

Zyvaks
03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
i loved the beta, they could sell it just how it was and it'd still be better than most games these days imo

JagerMyk
03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
No game out there will appeal to absolutely everybody, hence why niche markets exists. For many people who are sick and tired of WoW clones, this is one of the relatively small percentage of MMOs that's different from it. No Holy trinty of classes. no waiting for x class to turn up so we can do stuff. Some people will like just for that fact alone.
Games develop over time, many of them vastly improving from the days they launch. Anyone who has played any MMO for a significant period of time will tell you how different a game is from the moment they started playing it to several years later. Star Trek Online is one game that is significantly different from the day it was launched, it has many more features today than it did when it came out. Star Wars Galaxies, again developed over time before its closure for both good and bad reasons. Even when the New Game Enhancements were introduced, people hated the changes, but many more things were added later on that improved on the experience, with many agreeing that if the features that the game had before it was closed were put in before the first set of combat changes, the game would not have had such a troubled lifespan.
Those of us who have spent more than a year playing a single MMO whatever MMO it is have generally found they are very different today than years ago. Take a look at World of Warcraft, 40 Man raids to 25/10 man raids that are common place today.
You look at Defiance and you look at all the potential things it could add to improve the experience, crafting, companions/pets
nice, an I agree I played STO, SWOR an WOW so yah-TTGINAWC (thank the gods its not a wow clone)

dirtyklingon
03-29-2013, 08:32 AM
wtf is STOL?

do you guys means STO? online isn't two words. it only gets one letter in an acronym.

lol. oO

JagerMyk
03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
there was no promise of anything other than its a beta an free. I had the pre order waaaaay back, an the beta just pushed me to want in on my pc an ps3. as for your vid, well...you all sounded like you were having a blast to be honest, the group up troubles seem to be everyone had issues with. but again I am looking at the video as what to do or what not to do. good luck an happy hunting.

JagerMyk
03-29-2013, 08:35 AM
fixed thanks Dk

dirtyklingon
03-29-2013, 08:38 AM
it was bothering me when reading this thread for new replies this morning. i should not talk about other people's english or typing though lol XD

Zraxus
03-29-2013, 08:38 AM
ive heard the term "huge" to describe errors in this game a few times. i wish someone would actually state what these 'HUGE' errors are. i cant say i saw any 'huge' errors anywhere. not saying i didnt see a glitch or two. but nothing i would classify as 'huge'. so as much as the haters want to hate on the game and the ppl playing it, until they describe what these 'huge' errors are i personally have no choice but to disregard your statement.

limited customization at start isnt 'huge'
a few sound bugs isnt 'huge'
graphical errors here and there isnt 'huge'

if your negativity is reflected by issues like these then i suppose by that logic 90% of all mmos have 'huge' errors and will all fail no matter what. bottom line is, no one is saying hte game is perfect in the literal sense. finding a good mix of action and mmo elements is hard to find. otherwise this game would just be another game amongst many. discussing things you dont like about a game is fine, especially if you want to play and have hopes to see it improve. however to call a game, where the majority of players find it exceptionally fun, 'fail' or 'mediocre' or whatever term you feel like inserting wont be accepted well.

mcwjimbo
03-29-2013, 08:41 AM
was way more fun than expected

1st shooter Ive ever gotten into & loved, then pre-ordered right after the end of the last beta (only 1 I took part in....trion had been sending me emails for the others due to being a former rift customer, but kept thinking = shooter, blah)

dirtyklingon
03-29-2013, 08:44 AM
i'd say phase and instance match making bugs are a pretty big deal.

i'd also argue the decoy teleporting people through gemotry, while not uncommon in games, is a major issue.

i'd say the consolitis of the menus is a rather huge issue, that by itself is simply embarassing if i'm going to be kind about it.

and action/tps combat in mmo's is pretty common and easy to find these days. it's been a hot trend in korea for several years now and those games have been published in teh west in recent years. there's also a number of upcoming games that are mmo shooters with pve in them.

Zraxus
03-29-2013, 08:59 AM
i'd say phase and instance match making bugs are a pretty big deal.

i'd also argue the decoy teleporting people through gemotry, while not uncommon in games, is a major issue.

i'd say the consolitis of the menus is a rather huge issue, that by itself is simply embarassing if i'm going to be kind about it.

and action/tps combat in mmo's is pretty common and easy to find these days. it's been a hot trend in korea for several years now and those games have been published in teh west in recent years. there's also a number of upcoming games that are mmo shooters with pve in them.

if poor matchmaking wasnt so common id totally agree with you. but matchmaking is based on alot of factors so hard to be critical of it at this stage imo considering the lack of ppl that have availability to the game.

i fell through the world in warcraft in TBC and seen it happen in WoTLK. happens, only reason its semi huge in this game is cuz it almost renders 25% of the abilities useless. this one ill concede to. pretty sure itll be fixed at launch. if not ill be surprised.

the menu is inconvenient, but it works. ive seen many games with multiple layered menus, so not sure how u can call that huge, but to each their own.

Tera nad the like can call themselves action rpgs all they want, they are still as slow and tab target games. just because you have to aim doesnt make it action-packed. there is a huge difference in the way this game approaches and defines action.

and 'upcoming' means they arent here yet. so this game fills a void. not only that it mixes an arcade paced feel with the things those other games have. sometimes its the littlest things that make things that much better. and while in its individual parts this game hasnt done ne thing ground breaking, its the way they were brought together that makes it stand alone. so if you are wondering what ppl are seeing in this game, i believe its that mix that isnt found in other games. so its more than an action shooter mmo just by adding that fast paced arcade feel. and despite all of its flaws or shortcomings you may see, its that combination that will drive this game forward. at least imo.

Ralph
03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Any Beta is not going to be the best representation of a game, but it is typically a decent one by the last Beta run. Those who are expecting major change need only wait. Several people have pointed out that all of the MMO games have morphed since their launch, some several times over. I know it's hard to quantify, but if you feel you enjoyed half of the experience then you will probably enjoy what is to come. I would recommend you move on if you didn't. I don't need a downer *****ing in chat/voice to take away from my enjoyment of the game, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the game goes over time. See you guys there.

Mays
03-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Why isn't the OP allowed an opinion? Just let him have his opinion and comment on that opinion. Don't tell him what you think is a fact when in reality just an opinion.

LadyChaos
03-29-2013, 09:21 AM
/snip...

Cheers, CS.

He specifically calls for either supportive or contrary feedback opinions.... He seemed to be mostly pushing his video not offering constructive or specific feedback about the beta.

While the opinions are just fine, there is little to no sincere beta feedback offered in the OP and more constructive feedback was offered from responders IMO.

Corun
03-29-2013, 10:16 AM
The OP needs to not generalize "We" into his own opinion of something that he has no say in speaking for others about.

ten4
03-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Been testin alpha for months now....have some serious issues with it, but despite that I pre-ordered anyways simply because there is nothing else to play for the time being.

cassell
03-29-2013, 10:31 AM
I could not disagree more. I think "3 Idiots" is an appropriate title though. I was unsure about the game until I played the Beta. I immediately purchased the Deluxe edition and I have been dying to get to play. This last week has been torture because I feel like all my other "boring" titles are just time killers until I can get into Defiance. I think your assumptions about the game are unfounded and have no basis in reality. You saw 1/20th of the content so you can't possibly make a valid argument.

Khutor
03-29-2013, 10:39 AM
For the 10 minutes of the Beta I played, I thought this game was pretty cool.

ten4
03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
1/20th content....hahaha. ;)

Dauder
03-29-2013, 10:55 AM

Cheers, CS.

I initially had no interest in the game, but had free time and got an invite to both the 360 and PC betas. After trying the 360 beta I could see the potential, so I went ahead and DL'd the PC client. Boy am I glad I did. The experience was so much better on the PC and caused me to immediately preorder the game on Steam.

I can't wait for Tuesday!

Darkeus
03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Lol, I pre-ordered during the beta. Game has bugs but since I realize that a Beta is a test of a game that irons out features, stress testing, bug stomping and other Q&A functions I tend to let those slide.

Wow, come on. And your video is low quality too....

Rush
03-29-2013, 11:07 AM

Cheers, CS.

lol u guys are garbage xD

Solyad
03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
After the first 5 minutes were wasted ****ing around with the character customizer, I couldn't be bothered to watch the rest of the video. Next time, get to the point and maybe you'll get more than 127 views of your future content.

Mcdragon
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
If this was an advert to want us to watch there videos maybe they should have talked positive about the game. alot more people would've checked it out. For the rest of you that say the game is **** just because you werent able to do the things you wanted? stop being so childish. If you do not like it then guess what peace bro dont need ya

Cyrox
03-29-2013, 02:45 PM
if you want feedback from your video here it goes: Less circling around and go to the point, don't use **** all the time, give feedback from your game experience and many things more to improve.

I also wanted to add as i watched about what's that 60-70mins of gameplay, what do you achieve in any other mmo game in that time? In vanilla wow(rest in peace best time of my life) you would still be killing boars at the starting zone

Mcdragon
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
^^^^ this the nightmares of vanilla hahaha

AZAG0TH
03-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Guys, he is looking for views.. not that there is anything wrong with that. But he posted the link and started the thread in order to up his view count on youtube. People make money (if they are affiliates) based on how many views/comments/likes/favorites they get.

dirtyklingon
03-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Guys, he is looking for views.. not that there is anything wrong with that. But he posted the link and started the thread in order to up his view count on youtube. People make money (if they are affiliates) based on how many views/comments/likes/favorites they get.

yeah it's obvious advertising. everyone wants to be a youtuber fameball these days. almost all of them are incredibly bad at games as well.

Lord Reaper
03-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Not sure why people are even asking them what they liked/didn't like. It doesn't matter.

Cheesy's obviously advertising, and betas are for testing. TESTING.

Regrets
03-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Beta is not for fun.
Beta is not a gameplay demo.
Beta is not an advert.

Beta is for TESTING.

why do we test ? to fault find and help improve the game because a small office full of people cant find the ammount of bugs a few thousend gamers can (for free to ).

Beta is Beta is Beta.

make your mind up on live content launched on the day not during a beta designed with place holders and testing in mind.

Welcome to your first Trion game. The game will not change from the beta. Period. Sure more content will be added. But WYSIWYG.

If the beta is "meh" then the game is going to be...

yes.. now you're getting it. Meh! It was mildly fun. SimCity is fun too though. The traffic AI in SimCity is a challenge compared to defiance though.

I challenge anyone to solo a Chosen Pod drop in Firefall. GG.

SETit_allABLAZE
03-29-2013, 11:38 PM

I like how you think you know what other people feel lol. "pretending to love the game" I love the game, I'm not pretending, if you don't, go play Modern Warfare 2.5

SETit_allABLAZE
03-29-2013, 11:39 PM
And you people need to realize the beta is 4 months old, they havnt really fixed it up too much, just hold your horses and play the final product.

astorian
03-30-2013, 12:05 AM
I LOVE this game, therefor i will hang around , if you dont like this game (not everyone will) why hang out , there are games out there for everyone , go and find yours, its waiting for you!