PDA

View Full Version : Time Trials make me want to quit =,=

cerberouse
07-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Seriously, they do. Every time trial gives you the runner with the absolute crappiest runner possible with the most abysmal turn rate of them all.

"oops, dinged a rock, gotta start over."
"whelp, their's some roadside event which completely blocks the rout, can't do this one right now."

The fact that the original gold times were initially hackers using no clip or fly hacks to get times closer to 00:30 seconds than the current 2:11. It's seriously one of the worst parts of the game for me, what's worse is that you have to complete all of them to complete the area achievements. Spending two hours on one time trial to get it as perfect as possible just for a silver is the opposite of fun.

WarHoundZero
07-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Seriously, they do. Every time trial gives you the runner with the absolute crappiest runner possible with the most abysmal turn rate of them all.

"whelp, their's some roadside event which completely blocks the rout, can't do this one right now."

The fact that the original gold times were initially hackers using no clip or fly hacks to get times closer to 00:30 seconds than the current 2:11. It's seriously one of the worst parts of the game for me, what's worse is that you have to complete all of them to complete the area achievements. Spending two hours on one time trial to get it as perfect as possible just for a silver is the opposite of fun.

Yah I dislike time trials I honestly just avoid them. They just seem like a whole after thought imo and the times should be adjusted a little bit to give wiggle room for stupid events and what not that may keep you from completing them.

Valethar
07-28-2013, 11:34 PM
At one point they were supposed to have reset the scores, AND moved all the emergencies out of the time trial routes. Doom on us for actually believing them.

cerberouse
07-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Yah I dislike time trials I honestly just avoid them. They just seem like a whole after thought imo and the times should be adjusted a little bit to give wiggle room for stupid events and what not that may keep you from completing them.

I completely agree, and i'd just give them a pass too but i looove some of the outfits, especially the one you get for completing the Marine area!(all the "big oil" ones are boring.) Collecting outfits is a good 65% of the reason for me to continue playing when the game gets a bit repetitive and gives me a really nice carrot to chase after, along with a pleasantly challenging stick. But those time trails man...

DEATHBR1NGER 37
07-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Honestly, it can be frustrating at times, but they were never a large issue for me. I've made gold on every one (including the High Speed Challenge trials) and the Racing Pro pursuit only took me like an hour and a half. I also hold (or at least held) 2nd place (tied @ 2:16) for the trial north of Muir Processing and I can assure you that I use no form of cheating. It just takes a bit of time to figure out. Learn the spawn locations of emergencies around trials and find a way around them. Get level 20 runners (as the bonuses do seem to carry over). You'll be flying through them in no time!

Magick
07-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Also I would be using the "Hell on wheels Perk!" this will help you out tremendously crashing into monarchs and hellbugs and other crap......

DEATHBR1NGER 37
07-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Also I would be using the "Hell on wheels Perk!" this will help you out tremendously crashing into monarchs and hellbugs and other crap......
It wouldn't help with the Monarchs, as the voices in Trion's collective head compelled them to make them insta-kill vehicles on impact. As I like to say, "We're gonna need a bigger windshield!"

cerberouse
07-29-2013, 12:19 AM
It's just so annoying to me, i know practice makes perfect and all but i always see mounts in games as, "get me from A to B fast and look good" as apposed to being a huge, skill based thing :/
If they were optional, i would have zero issue, but as it stands it's not, "don't like it, don't do it." It's, "Don't like it? Suffer."

I would have loved it if they said, "complete the side missions/main missions and "X Rampage/hotshot" or time trial.

Magick
07-29-2013, 12:23 AM
It wouldn't help with the Monarchs, as the voices in Trion's collective head compelled them to make them insta-kill vehicles on impact. As I like to say, "We're gonna need a bigger windshield!"

Oh sorry maybe doesnt work for monarchs now. Hell on wheels helped me alot around the muir prossesing plant area time trials as well as san fran and crashing into omnivolts.

DEATHBR1NGER 37
07-29-2013, 12:29 AM
It's just so annoying to me, i know practice makes perfect and all but i always see mounts in games as, "get me from A to B fast and look good" as apposed to being a huge, skill based thing :/
If they were optional, i would have zero issue, but as it stands it's not, "don't like it, don't do it." It's, "Don't like it? Suffer."
I know it sucks and I used to find them difficult as well. In the end, however, they are very optional. It's all part of a game. Anyway, you wouldn't miss out on much for not completing them. All you get is EGO (which becomes a punishment, trust me, I'm EGO 3600+) and a few strictly aesthetic outfits.

DEATHBR1NGER 37
07-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Oh sorry maybe doesnt work for monarchs now. Hell on wheels helped me alot around the muir prossesing plant area time trials as well as san fran and crashing into omnivolts.
I think that was altered in patch 1.020, but I'm probably mistaken. Aside from that, vehicles also have considerably lower health than pre-1.020 or whatever.

Soren
07-29-2013, 01:00 AM
I've only really tried the current Dodge High Speed one and then the challenge near the power plant. I've managed to barely get golds in them, but I agree that the runner feels way too sensitive to turning and the time window for winning gold allows almost no room for mistakes. I don't think they're too horrible, but I definitely have to be in the right mood in order to push through and eventually get gold with them. Otherwise it's too easy for me to get frustrated by how many things can easily go wrong and how little room for error there is.

Alliiara
07-29-2013, 04:29 AM
You should try hooking up an x-box controller to the computer. That really helped me a lot. I could barely get silver on most of them, but with the controller I got gold after a few tries.

Nadar
07-29-2013, 05:07 AM
Get level 20 runners (as the bonu es do seem to carry over). You'll be flying through them in no time!

This is definitely true (at least the part about the bonuses - the 'flying thru' still might be another matter). During my first play-thru (I did the challenges, side missions, rampages as I came across them while following the main storyline), I had written off the vehicle pursuit because I was barely ekking out silvers and thought that GOLD was going to be impossible. But read in a post that the runner level bonuses carry to the time trials. So once I got the runner to level 20, I went back to try for GOLD on all of them and eventually finished it off. Some were easy this second time around and some were still a b1tch but persistence paid off.

On the xbox controller idea, I tried that and it didn't help. Perhaps because I only game on the PC and thus am not really used to it so it might work for you.

I did find that using the mouse to 'pre-turn' the field of view before coming to a curve helped...especially with the tight curves. It seems to allow the runner to take the curve better....although it also sometimes made it take it too well and would overcompensate in the other direction.

When emergencies spawned in the middle of the track that couldn't easily be avoided, I'd stop, clear them and retry...although this was a while ago so the spawn rates, locations, etc. may have changed thru the various patches so there may be some trials where doing this doesn't really help.

On the longer ones, I'd also restart the trial immediately if I screwed up during the first lap (missed a gate, hit something, etc.). I often complete it if the screw up was on the second lap just to get the silver or bronze award.

Definitely on the straight parts, boost as continuously as possible. I laid off boost on the curves since I couldn't control the runner thru them while boosting ... so you can get gold without continuous boost but won't challenge the leader board.

Don't boost while in the air after a jump since it doesn't help (or not much) but boosting just before you land can help you carry momentum forward and get moving again much faster.

I'd read some posts about using the terrain to help bounce you around the course faster....I never managed to obtain that skill. For me, it was mostly luck when a hill side bounced me in a beneficial direction for the next curve.

Biggest thing is though is persistence. Retrying the same trial may get boring but it'll also teach you the subtle nuances of the course that will help during the next run...such as when to go wide in order to make the next curve easier or where to hit a particular jump so you don't land on a wall on the other side.

The one challenge I haven't mastered is the Dodge one they run special as a Contract. I don't normally use the Challenger vehicle so I'm not used to it's more sluggish handling (sorry Dodge).

Keep at it and good luck.

X64
07-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Time trials today are a feat of how long you can withstand the long hold of the shift key and the up arrow at the same time.

Everyday your perfect run? 2nd lap - you get hit by a monarch or volge. boom.

N3gativeCr33p
07-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Get level 20 runners (as the bonuses do seem to carry over). You'll be flying through them in no time!

I didn't even need to wait that long, but it will sure help to have them leveled up some.

DeadMike
07-29-2013, 06:13 AM
IMO the time trials are the easiest of the 3 challenge types. I got gold on my first try on every one of them except the first time I tried the first one, where as I can't get gold on most rampages and can't even get silver on most hotshots.

Thearl
07-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Before I weigh in - some basics: I'm on PC with excellent latency, no gaming controller, just mouse and WASD. When I completed the racing pro pursuit, it was duirng the plague/siege event. (that's important because people were hunting emergencies to finish out the pursuits and the trial circuits were less cluttered with monarchs and volge)

The time trials in Tam I was able to gold with level 10 runners. It took me many days of trying once or twice a day. I found that if I restarted more than twice, sometimes the timer would bug and start me at 10 seconds instead of 0.00. All of the time trials that are 2 laps I could never do more than silver until I had lvl 20 runners. even then, it took me days of repeating. 1) you had to be lucky in the emergency type that spawned in the trial path. 2) Running during an event that required emergency clearing was helpful in reducing obstacles. 3)learning that trying to boost 100% of the time just makes you overshoot turns and arches. 4) I actually completed the San Fran trials and Uplands trial fairly buzzed, which seemed to help my driving.

In regards to the Challenger trials - never made more than silver on any of them. I've actually magaed to get exactly the gold time twice of the challenge that starts near the edge of madera and goes allt he way to the Golden Gate, but I never seem to be able to get that gold. The one from this weekend kept bugging on me and the arches would stop registering my passage after 1 minute in. After that same thing happened 4 times in a row, i just swore off the Challenger trials. (Maybe if we had a Mustang instead)

Keeper Riff
07-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Got gold on all time trials and top-3 at Dodge Challenge (check the latest Friday livestream, lol ;) )

Some tips:
0. Make sure your connection is stable and the latency is low. It's really important to have all gates and obstacles shown in time.
1. Map your boost on your other hand. E.g. if you're using WASD, then boost goes to RMB, Right Shift or Num+. You don't really need to turn your camera while racing, so you can easily put your mouse away.
2. Try a gamepad or joystick. Some people find them better for driving (I don't, unless there's a manual transmission of sort).
3. Level up your runners skill. Speed, boost speed and boost amount bonuses will allow you to run from one recharge gate to another with your boost always on.
4. If your frame rate becomes choppy, restart the game, then drive around the trial track at medium speed to have all objects and textures loaded into video RAM, so the game won't need to access your HDD during the race.
5. As it was already said many times, don't boost while in the air, but turn it on just a moment before you land.
6. If you meet a sharp corner turn, brake first, turn your wheels, then boost. It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but boost improves your steering.
7. Most emergencies can be dodged without losing much time once you memorize where they spawn, but sometimes you need to clean the track before the race or ask your friends to taunt the mobs away from the track if they spawn.
8. If the arkfall spawns near the track, you can teleport to a friend into the phase where the arkfall is not present.
9. And yes, practice, practice, practice. Knowing the track by heart with all its gates, bumps and spawn points is the key.

Valethar
07-29-2013, 01:45 PM
You should try hooking up an x-box controller to the computer. That really helped me a lot. I could barely get silver on most of them, but with the controller I got gold after a few tries.

Hmm.. I may have to try my G-13 gamepad and see if that changes anything, though driving with that thumbstick can be interesting when you're not used to a controller at all. :D

crasher
07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Hmm.. I may have to try my G-13 gamepad and see if that changes anything, though driving with that thumbstick can be interesting when you're not used to a controller at all. :D
It's all I use besides the mouse, and it's 'interesting' trying to finish a race in the same day you started it :)

Heinzlee
07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Time trials today are a feat of how long you can withstand the long hold of the shift key and the up arrow at the same time.

Everyday your perfect run? 2nd lap - you get hit by a monarch or volge. boom.

Remap your boost key to right mouse button.
Driving becomes MUCH more easier.

Most times I can dodge around monarchs and still get Gold.
Though sometimes he comes rolling across from left field (out of FOV / draw distance) and I don't get a chance to react.

Night Demon
07-29-2013, 09:23 PM

i have gold medal and and topped the leader board on a good bit of them for a short time. it is not that bad it just takes a couple times restarting will become your friend when u try to gold medal them for the challenger and that runner is fast on boost and is made so level up your runners if if your having problems

on pc id recommend changing the boost hot key to your mouse it makes turning sharp turns and boost whoring easier with out a lot of strain hitting Lshift

also recommend if you got a bad pc to turn off bloom/motion blur/shadow's to grab a few more FPS it helps racing.

Heinzlee
07-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Not sure what the OP is talking about - the Runner has the tightest cornering circle.
Having your runner skill fairly high helps.

The key thing with the time trials is to map your driving line to the furthest ring while ensuring that you pass within the intervening rings as well. You don't have to pass through the middle of the ring either. As long as your runner touches the ring it will still count.

Try to keep your line as smooth as possible. Ideally, you should be going through the ring with your runner already facing the direction of the next ring. That means your cornering is done between rings, not at the ring.

For the Dodge races, you need to be on boost pretty much the whole time except for a few tighter corners. When you're boosting in the Dodge, it takes a while for the car to actually start turning so start preparing yourself for the corners 1 ring down.

Lastly with the dodge challenges, you can take a passenger with you.
Hit me up if you're on PC and want to hitch a ride to see what I'm talking about.
Account Id is h31n2 and I have characters able to chauffer you on both EU and NA.

nathanpbutler
07-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Wait . . . you can carry someone along for the Dodge Challenges? Do you mean that if they are passengers, you can unlock the Paradise Challenger Vendors for them without them having to get gold on the race themselves, or are you just saying that you can have someone tag along to see how to handle the course?

Heinzlee
07-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Wait . . . you can carry someone along for the Dodge Challenges? Do you mean that if they are passengers, you can unlock the Paradise Challenger Vendors for them without them having to get gold on the race themselves, or are you just saying that you can have someone tag along to see how to handle the course?

Someone in my clan claimed that you will get credit for it.
So the last Dodge Challenge race - different course to this past weekend - we gave it a go.
Unfortunately he kept changing phase at diablo station so we couldn't complete the test.

I would have tried testing it again this weekend but I was busy trying to complete weekly echelon pursuits for 3 characters.
FY only ever pops on the weekend when you're on Oceanic time, so it was quite busy capturing 60 capture points.

Even if you don't get credit, just tagging along for a ride could be helpful for some.
Sometimes, despite everything, it just doesn't make sense and you need to see it for yourself.
If you don't understand driving lines, it's a lot easier to learn it if you're driven on it than trying to figure out yourself.

DEATHBR1NGER 37
07-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Someone in my clan claimed that you will get credit for it.
So the last Dodge Challenge race - different course to this past weekend - we gave it a go.
Unfortunately he kept changing phase at diablo station so we couldn't complete the test.

I would have tried testing it again this weekend but I was busy trying to complete weekly echelon pursuits for 3 characters.
FY only ever pops on the weekend when you're on Oceanic time, so it was quite busy capturing 60 capture points.

Even if you don't get credit, just tagging along for a ride could be helpful for some.
Sometimes, despite everything, it just doesn't make sense and you need to see it for yourself.
If you don't understand driving lines, it's a lot easier to learn it if you're driven on it than trying to figure out yourself.
It does give credit. I had the idea and tested it a couple of challenges ago (mid June I think).

Sir Dan
07-30-2013, 12:13 AM
None of the mini-games were fun. It's the reason I haven't made a second character - I don't want to go through that crap again.

Krael
07-30-2013, 09:11 AM
I'd appreciate the time trials a lot more if not for the fact that the mere act of hopping on a runner makes the game seize up and stutter like an epileptic in a strobe-light.

Kinda hard to drive when your framerate hurls itself down into the single digits.