PDA

View Full Version : So close yet so far

Turantula
07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Sigh, finally reachec my ego cap today at 4876. All thats left are the stupid pvp pursuits which im not looking forward to. Those vehicle kills come far and few in between lol. Either way hopefully ill hit that 5k before the dlc drops.

crasher
07-29-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm with you on the PVP.
I'm basically looking to see what happens when I max out without PVP, I start shooting badguys, and the damage counter rolls '000's....

MartyrMarcus
07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
They're actually easier than they seem, Only one I've yet to do is play for 50 hours and get 1500 kills. The vehicle kills just grab a derailer and level 3 wrecking ball perk (up from blur and two left) then jump into a Shadow war, you can one shot the quads. Only took me 2 shadow wars to complete.

Turantula
07-29-2013, 04:11 PM
They're actually easier than they seem, Only one I've yet to do is play for 50 hours and get 1500 kills. The vehicle kills just grab a derailer and level 3 wrecking ball perk (up from blur and two left) then jump into a Shadow war, you can one shot the quads. Only took me 2 shadow wars to complete.

Thats awesome to know :) definately will be applying that to my next shadow war.

Ashlocke
07-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Sigh, finally reachec my ego cap today at 4876. All thats left are the stupid pvp pursuits which im not looking forward to. Those vehicle kills come far and few in between lol. Either way hopefully ill hit that 5k before the dlc drops.

Wait, wait, wait... Are you saying that I *CAN'T* currently reach 5k EGO without being forced to PvP for pursuit points?

I was under the impression (no idea why really) that I could eventually reach 5k EGO just through PvE pursuits and slowly grinding EGO xp just by killing mobs in the game world.

If this turns out to be the case that Trion will force me into PvP in order to reach 5k EGO then this is the proverbial straw that breaks this camels back. I have so far learned to deal with all of the many issues this game has thrown at me, I'm a pretty mellow dude, it takes a lot to ruffle my feathers.

But one thing I value is my relaxation time. This is my escape from the day to day rat race and stress. I dislike PvP, I do not enjoy PvP, I have no problem with folks who do enjoy it because everyone is entitled to enjoy their time here whichever way makes them the happiest.

Having said that, I do not appreciate being forced into a particular type of game play in order to continue to level my character.

I never in a million years thought I would ever be saying this but...
If it turns out that in order for me to advance my character I have to PvP... Then. I. Quit.

AmnesiaHaze
07-29-2013, 04:53 PM
yes u have to do pvp pursuits to reach ego 5K, it was the only reason i completed all the PVP pursuits , i didnt enjoy doing it even slightly , and guess what... even after completing all pvp pursuits you still need 10 echelon items which means you have to get at least 1000 reputation from echelon contracts

Heinzlee
07-29-2013, 04:54 PM

It's also very useful for map control as well since it delays or even stops people travelling to capture points.

Kudos to you if you could actually hit them and do it proper like this.
I can't snipe - great with everything else - just not sniping.

I confess to stat padding with clan / friends for the vehicle kills.

Turantula
07-29-2013, 04:59 PM
It's also very useful for map control as well since it delays or even stops people travelling to capture points.

I confess to stat padding with clan / friends for the vehicle kills.

Lol you gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes, I actually started off playing shadow wars with a sniper, but then I got bit by the infector bug. Needless to say my canker causes a lot of grief, but I just mastery rolled my outbreaker and got 30% damage to vehicles; so maybe ill be using that ;)

RedXVIII
07-29-2013, 04:59 PM
It's just PvP. There is really no downside. Stop winning and Que up.

AmnesiaHaze
07-29-2013, 05:01 PM

the queue itself is already a big downside, especially for shadow war

also what did you mean by stop winning?

MartyrMarcus
07-29-2013, 05:07 PM

It's also really, really fun to watch someone jump on a Quad only to be blown up a second later :D

I wasn't that good at sniping to begin with, but leveling Semi-autos to 10 and getting 5k Bolt action head shots makes you pretty quick on the draw I find

Turantula
07-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Oh I que Sir, I most definately do lol.

MartyrMarcus
07-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Wait, wait, wait... Are you saying that I *CAN'T* currently reach 5k EGO without being forced to PvP for pursuit points?

I was under the impression (no idea why really) that I could eventually reach 5k EGO just through PvE pursuits and slowly grinding EGO xp just by killing mobs in the game world.

Currently this is the case. Also, Hate you be the one to tell you this, but you stop gaining exp once you've maxxed out your ego grid.

Now I'm fairly sure you can heavily offset how much pvp you have to do by doing all the episode content, it may even be enough to outright remove the need for you to pvp. I'll count it up and repost when I've done so.

Edit: Max ego is 5097 and pvp is 180 of that, so even if you do everything currently then without pvp you cant hit max ego.

Iceberg
07-29-2013, 05:12 PM
queue you say? Waiting for 9 players. 1 hour later.... Waiting for 6 players... 2 hours go by, waiting for 3 players. Then when you think its almost enough people, Waiting for 8 players. FML.

Turantula
07-29-2013, 05:13 PM
yes u have to do pvp pursuits to reach ego 5K, it was the only reason i completed all the PVP pursuits , i didnt enjoy doing it even slightly , and guess what... even after completing all pvp pursuits you still need 10 echelon items which means you have to get at least 1000 reputation from echelon contracts

The upside is I have all the vendor pursuits done thank God lol. It's those pesky vehicle kills and the 50 hours I have to spend in matchmaking, ugh. For them to make pvp so trivial in this game 50 hours is a long *** time all things considered lol. I think im close on that too though.

Turantula
07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
queue you say? Waiting for 9 players. 1 hour later.... Waiting for 6 players... 2 hours go by, waiting for 3 players. Then when you think its almost enough people, Waiting for 8 players. FML.

Better yet you get in after waiting all that time and BAM! CRITICAL FREAKIN ERROR! My favorite! Lol.

AmnesiaHaze
07-29-2013, 05:15 PM
The upside is I have all the vendor pursuits done thank God lol. It's those pesky vehicle kills and the 50 hours I have to spend in matchmaking, ugh. For them to make pvp so trivial in this game 50 hours is a long *** time all things considered lol. I think im close on that too though.

i wish id had those too , i wasted 300 echelon rep points by purchasing 3x200rep items thinking they cost only 100 because i didnt pay enough attention , it's my last pursuit i'm now at 7/10

Turantula
07-29-2013, 05:25 PM
i wish id had those too , i wasted 300 echelon rep points by purchasing 3x200rep items thinking they cost only 100 because i didnt pay enough attention , it's my last pursuit i'm now at 7/10

It would be a lot easier if they spammed the get x amount of kills in matchmaking instead of the constant frieght yard contracts almost everyday it seems like.

Ashlocke
07-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Currently this is the case. Also, Hate you be the one to tell you this, but you stop gaining exp once you've maxxed out your ego grid.

Now I'm fairly sure you can heavily offset how much pvp you have to do by doing all the episode content, it may even be enough to outright remove the need for you to pvp. I'll count it up and repost when I've done so.

Edit: Max ego is 5097 and pvp is 180 of that, so even if you do everything currently then without pvp you cant hit max ego.

Thanks for the info breakdown, good to know.
I guess that settles that.

Since I've already purchased the game, and it's not a re-occuring monthly bill, essentially I have access for life, all I can say is, I will check in on the game every now and then to see if things have changed, but until then, I won't be logging in, and in Trion-speak infers I won't be spending any money.

I'm not an eloquent speaker, thankfully my wallet speaks a billion times more effectively than any words I could ever use.

MartyrMarcus
07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info breakdown, good to know.
I guess that settles that.

Since I've already purchased the game, and it's not a re-occuring monthly bill, essentially I have access for life, all I can say is, I will check in on the game every now and then to see if things have changed, but until then, I won't be logging in, and in Trion-speak infers I won't be spending any money.

I'm not an eloquent speaker, thankfully my wallet speaks a billion times more effectively than any words I could ever use.

As someone who has a hatred for pvp (not just defiance but any game where pvp directly effects pve due to buffs/nerfs and vice versa) himself I can completely understand, alas all I can suggest is wait for more episode content and the DLC. Even with increasing ego levels I highly doubt they're going to make you need every single pursuit to reach max level. So eventually you can forget about those 180 egos, until then though...

Iceberg
07-29-2013, 05:45 PM
As someone who has a hatred for pvp (not just defiance but any game where pvp directly effects pve due to buffs/nerfs and vice versa) himself I can completely understand, alas all I can suggest is wait for more episode content and the DLC. Even with increasing ego levels I highly doubt they're going to make you need every single pursuit to reach max level. So eventually you can forget about those 180 egos, until then though...

Theres always season 2!

ten4
07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Theres always season 2!

Which is a year from now. I am certain I will forget about Defiance well before they allow me to hit 5k without doing PvP in this game.

W/e. I be PvPing.....in Planetside 2/Battlefield 3 and 4. Some games actually strive for balance.

Ashlocke
07-29-2013, 08:22 PM

I just want to be clear, I don't hate that this game has PvP, in fact I welcome that it exists so that the folks who are into that can enjoy this game. All I wanted to get across (mainly to the Devs because only they have the power to make game changes) is that the PvE level cap should be attainable via PvE.

In fact, I had basically just assumed that this would be the case. It never occurred to me that a Developer would even do such a thing until I read the OP in this thread which made it sound like you HAD to PvP to reach the PvE level cap, so I figured I would ask for clarification, and to my chagrin, or dismay, take your pick, it turns out to actually work that way.

So anyway, I bear no ill will toward PvPers etc, but simply put, it's not something I personally enjoy, so I'm around 4600-ish EGO and maxxed out all of my weapon skills so once I hit the highest EGO level I can achieve in PvE, I will simply stop playing until such time as I can go higher when (or if) they add in other PvE means for me to advance.

As a side note, other games I've played I usually make many other characters so that I can extend my game play through different classes, skills, abilities etc. because they are unique to each of my individual characters, but in Defiance that really isn't much of an option.

Turantula
07-29-2013, 09:22 PM
I just want to be clear, I don't hate that this game has PvP, in fact I welcome that it exists so that the folks who are into that can enjoy this game. All I wanted to get across (mainly to the Devs because only they have the power to make game changes) is that the PvE level cap should be attainable via PvE.

In fact, I had basically just assumed that this would be the case. It never occurred to me that a Developer would even do such a thing until I read the OP in this thread which made it sound like you HAD to PvP to reach the PvE level cap, so I figured I would ask for clarification, and to my chagrin, or dismay, take your pick, it turns out to actually work that way.

So anyway, I bear no ill will toward PvPers etc, but simply put, it's not something I personally enjoy, so I'm around 4600-ish EGO and maxxed out all of my weapon skills so once I hit the highest EGO level I can achieve in PvE, I will simply stop playing until such time as I can go higher when (or if) they add in other PvE means for me to advance.

As a side note, other games I've played I usually make many other characters so that I can extend my game play through different classes, skills, abilities etc. because they are unique to each of my individual characters, but in Defiance that really isn't much of an option.

I understand, and yeah I hate being a completionist sometimes but in order to reach 5k ego I gotta get them pvp pursuits done.

ten4
07-29-2013, 10:38 PM

Very very well said. Exactly my thoughts on this. Once I get infector to 20 I am just going to take a break and hope DLC allows me to get the last 271 ego to hit cap....

W/e. It's all good, they got my money already so who cares!

Pity, I have over 6 mill ark salvaged saved that I had planned to use up when I hit 5k...it was a shock to realize that I won't be able to reach that goal now. :(

p.s. you know what would be really nice? ACTUAL DEVELOPER FEEDBACK ON WELL..ANYTHING REALLY. Many questions but no real answers. This place is deadsville on that front. /depressed

Indra Echo
07-29-2013, 11:07 PM

One "good" thing about the contracts is that even if you don't finish all the things for daily and weekly to get 10 and 50 points, respectively, it will give you partial credit. You might get 6 points instead of 10. So, yeah it really sucked having to get to 1000, but I started getting partial credit and that helped.

And I also force myself to do this-to get the competitive play AND the reputation pursuits done.

Heinzlee
07-29-2013, 11:21 PM
One "good" thing about the contracts is that even if you don't finish all the things for daily and weekly to get 10 and 50 points, respectively, it will give you partial credit. You might get 6 points instead of 10. So, yeah it really sucked having to get to 1000, but I started getting partial credit and that helped.

And I also force myself to do this-to get the competitive play AND the reputation pursuits done.

When does it credit you for partials?
Completing a contract give you rep right away.

Indra Echo
07-29-2013, 11:22 PM

I totally agree with you that PvP shouldn't be needed to finish a game, but there's a fine line between finishing achievements/getting all trophies and ingame needs. I do think many (not all) games separate out PvE and PvP so you can finish all PvE things and never touch PvP. But it's true also that the only reason most are separated is because one is online and the other isn't. In some online only Or online mostly games you can't get all the awards (and rewards) unless you also do the PvP stuff. Trion is not the first to do this.

And other companies have tried to do even worse things. Bioware/EA tried to force players to play multi-player by making it originally impossible to get all of the endings in the Single player game without playing MP. One of the things that got players really angry and then Bioware even said it wasn't true until they decided to change it so you could avoid MP if you wanted to.

I totally agree with you though and found it even ridiculous that Echelon pursuits and contracts are PvP only since for much of the game you actually work with Echelon.

See I actually have played enough PvP in my lifetime to finally be sick of it mostly. There are very few games that have it that interest me. It's one of the reasons I got Defiance. And then I found out I "needed" to do PvP. So, I did it. The only time I enjoyed it was tonight when helping a couple friends play Freightyard and then TDM. It was great because we laughed hard at how awful an experience it was.

It also doesn't help that the game cannot count, so if you have to do EGO kills, it might give you credit for 2 out of 5, if you're lucky. Or any kind thing needed for a contract-I had to sometimes get 3 or 4 times the amount needed just to get credit for them.

Indra Echo
07-29-2013, 11:25 PM
When does it credit you for partials?
Completing a contract give you rep right away.

When the contract resets. If you didn't fully finish it, it will give you part credit at that time. For dailies, that means every day. For weeklies, every Monday. It only gives you rep right away when you fully complete the number or mission needed. If you don't finish a contract, it tells you that when it resets-so if you do zero for a daily then at the time it resets (I think it's 3PM Eastern Time), it will say it failed.

And it only just recently started to do this-right towards the end of it for me.

A s0t
07-29-2013, 11:27 PM

get a friend; shadow war; opposite teams; drive away; call up 4 wheeler; shoot each other 4 wheeler till blows up (have to be sitting on 4 wheeler) [you didn't hear it from me]

Indra Echo
07-30-2013, 12:09 AM
get a friend; shadow war; opposite teams; drive away; call up 4 wheeler; shoot each other 4 wheeler till blows up (have to be sitting on 4 wheeler) [you didn't hear it from me]

Use a Breaker Cannon or a Derailer Sniper Rifle. Do it near Coit Tower if in San Fran (ammo box handy) or anywhere outside the SW zone so others won't attack and kill you. If you die, you re-spawn in the SW zone, so it's best to avoid killing each other. The Breaker Cannon does damage a player but destroys the vehicle before it kills.

ten4
07-30-2013, 01:38 AM
In some online only Or online mostly games you can't get all the awards (and rewards) unless you also do the PvP stuff. Trion is not the first to do this..

True to a certain extent, but this is about reaching a 'level' cap which most MMOs do not require a player to PvP to reach it.

Usually there is a separation between the two using different progressions and it has been proven many times to be quite successful in catering to all types of players....

As to why Trion is forcing PvP to hit cap, I don't know. I think it's because they rushed this game and did not have time to design this system (among other things) properly.

My suggestion is just let us level beyond the 2600 cap through pure exp grind if we want to. Just don't have it reward perk points or something.

I mean if the already 5kers get a small advantage if cap is increased...who really cares imo. They would grind no matter what...it's either now or later. If anything, could just raise the 2.6k perk cap up 400-1k or so and allow freedom to choose how you progress? Just a thought.

This would also give already level capped players a good reason to continue playing.

Maitreakow
07-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Well I just finished slogging my way to that 10th item from Echelon only to read this. Does that also mean I can't reach 5k EGO unless I get Gold in all the stupid Time trials?!?

I can kinda understand the PvP aspect, this IS a shooter after all. To require me to RACE in a shooter to get the max level is just stupid. I am horrible, and I DO mean horrible, at racing of any sort. In this game I seem to be worse than usual. It took me forever just to get the Silver in all races for the OTHER pursuits with racing linked in. Before anyone says, yes I am level 20 in Runners, I am just THAT bad at any kind of racing vehicles in video games.

Kinda disappointed to hear this, I am not gonna lie. Can you put off the XP lock by not buying the rest of your Perks?

Gomly
07-30-2013, 08:22 AM
I am just THAT bad at any kind of racing vehicles in video games.

You're not alone, i'm terrible at any form of driving in games.

Spend more time crashing than moving.

I'm just avoiding the vehicle challenges, save my sanity.

Thearl
07-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Well I just finished slogging my way to that 10th item from Echelon only to read this. Does that also mean I can't reach 5k EGO unless I get Gold in all the stupid Time trials?!?

Don't forget your Cerberus License and Social pursuits. The game requires you to join a clan with more than 15 members if you want that golden 5K.

I've said this before in other threads, but I like repeating myself. PVP would not be a chore if there were more options, like caprure the flag for example. Three maps plus your shadow war area is inadequate. Basically after experimenting with the available maps and mataches, it's obvious to me that very little thought went into PVP. There're are several other free to play games that are PVP only that i can play if I want to PVP. I see no reason to spend 20 minutes bunny hopping, cloaked and auto-aiming an immunizer or canker for a 2 key reward.

crasher
07-30-2013, 08:36 AM

I can kinda understand the PvP aspect, this IS a shooter after all. To require me to RACE in a shooter to get the max level is just stupid. I am horrible, and I DO mean horrible, at racing of any sort. In this game I seem to be worse than usual. It took me forever just to get the Silver in all races for the OTHER pursuits with racing linked in. Before anyone says, yes I am level 20 in Runners, I am just THAT bad at any kind of racing vehicles in video games.

Kinda disappointed to hear this, I am not gonna lie. Can you put off the XP lock by not buying the rest of your Perks?
No. As soon as you acquire enough point to 'buy' the perks your yellow line diasappers whether you buy the last 'XX' number or not. I had 6 perks to go, and when I got that 18th point earned - *poof*, done.

Indra Echo
07-30-2013, 08:49 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that probably is a requirement IF there is an xp reward tied to the challenge as well as getting the black car. I'm not sure, don't have the game running right now. But, I know your highest Ranking number is a combination of all your xp rankings-weapons and vehicles and pursuit and leveling up xp. The lower number might just be all the personal leveling up EGO xp. Support did try to explain it to me when I asked about getting spammed with both numbers all the time.

And yes, the races are horrible. The issue with them is that you have to race a nearly perfect race which theoretically isn't that difficult for many of them. However, the random things that happen make near perfection often impossible. Insert lag and big baddies that spawn in front of gates, awkward vehicle moves and it can be the worst challenge of all.

I know some will say "it's super easy", but it may be easy for them because the stars aligned and some graphic or collision detection glitch didn't make their runner bounce out of control or do a 180 for no reason or dump them on the ground due to bad karma. I did get gold in every time trial and no, it isn't easy for everyone.

I do though agree with people posting that PvP should have been handled as a separate issue in my mind are right. I've said this repeatedly. I also have to wonder why of all faction vendors Echelon forces you to earn more rep. I'd like it if PvP was used even as a bonus xp entity. That would have given more options to get to the top EGO ranking.

No, you cannot put off the xp lock by not using perks. People say this but someone that I trust highly who's taught me how to do a lot of things in this game and is at 5000, says you can't. If you earn perk points, that's what counts not whether you used them. That's what he has said and that's good enough for me.

3rdpig
07-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Bioware/EA tried to force players to play multi-player by making it originally impossible to get all of the endings in the Single player game without playing MP.

When ME3 came out and I found out you had to do MP to get the best ending in the SP game I was pretty annoyed. I avoided it completely on my first playthrough, but on the second I gave it a try and found that I enjoyed it. It was pretty limited, and not PvP, but it was a lot of fun. Also, in the beginning Bioware put a lot of energy into the MP game, new areas, new weapons, etc, etc, that kept it interesting. Too bad they abandoned it so long before ME4 is going to be ready. Despite 4 or 5 playthroughs of the SP game and all the DLC's for it, I still think I put more hours into the MP game. Which is really weird for me, I'm not a big MP guy...or wasn't until then.

On topic, I can't see what difference it makes in Defiance whether your Ego is 4800 or 5000. My main character is 3200 and I'm done playing him until the DLC comes out. I've got all the pursuits other than the one's related PvP and Clan/Group and there's just not anything else to do that interests me. I've started another character and gotten him to level 1300 (mainly to buy weapons with all 4 slots unlocked) but even with him there's not much to do except grind out the higher weapon and arkfall pursuits. He beat Nim and had the black Challenger before Ego 1000.

We need the DLC, we need more map areas and we need more involved weekly contracts.

Indra Echo
07-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Don't forget your Cerberus License and Social pursuits. The game requires you to join a clan with more than 15 members if you want that golden 5K.

I've said this before in other threads, but I like repeating myself. PVP would not be a chore if there were more options, like caprure the flag for example. Three maps plus your shadow war area is inadequate. Basically after experimenting with the available maps and mataches, it's obvious to me that very little thought went into PVP. There're are several other free to play games that are PVP only that i can play if I want to PVP. I see no reason to spend 20 minutes bunny hopping, cloaked and auto-aiming an immunizer or canker for a 2 key reward.

I agree that PvP definitely needs more options. I think at a minimum it needs some bare bones modes and limited loadout modes for some standardized play options. I also think there needs to be assist awards for contracts. Don't laugh but I've actually been high scorer many times due to lots of assists.

I'd like to see even found weapon modes where all players start out with the same loadout-a pistol. And they can find or even earn a weapon within a match.

But, instead of that I'd rather more focus went into the other areas of the game-I'd have preferred PvP be a totally optional extra area with it's own weapon and ranking progression tree. Now, I'm at the point where unless I go into it with friends wanting a laugh, I'd rather it just go away and Trion focus on the other stuff.

They can even make some other things a bit more pseudo-competitive if they fix the scoreboard and make everything done within an event count towards total score. Healing and reviving people should count towards the score and even killing things maybe should be (things other than skitterlings). And the scoreboard needs to be more accurate. If not then any kind of rewards tied to score is just ridiculous and things should be more clearly cooperative.

Indra Echo
07-30-2013, 09:27 AM
When ME3 came out and I found out you had to do MP to get the best ending in the SP game I was pretty annoyed. I avoided it completely on my first playthrough, but on the second I gave it a try and found that I enjoyed it. It was pretty limited, and not PvP, but it was a lot of fun. Also, in the beginning Bioware put a lot of energy into the MP game, new areas, new weapons, etc, etc, that kept it interesting. Too bad they abandoned it so long before ME4 is going to be ready. Despite 4 or 5 playthroughs of the SP game and all the DLC's for it, I still think I put more hours into the MP game. Which is really weird for me, I'm not a big MP guy...or wasn't until then.

On topic, I can't see what difference it makes in Defiance whether your Ego is 4800 or 5000. My main character is 3200 and I'm done playing him until the DLC comes out. I've got all the pursuits other than the one's related PvP and Clan/Group and there's just not anything else to do that interests me. I've started another character and gotten him to level 1300 (mainly to buy weapons with all 4 slots unlocked) but even with him there's not much to do except grind out the higher weapon and arkfall pursuits. He beat Nim and had the black Challenger before Ego 1000.

We need the DLC, we need more map areas and we need more involved weekly contracts.

I'm not saying ME3's MP was PvP or wasn't fun at all-just commenting that companies have done worse things that Trion did by tying PvP to a character's level cap. I liked ME3's MP, horde mode fun to a point. It was obvious why it was tied to SP as it was-it was about EA's insertion of micro-transactions and EA's DRM of choice. In fact, the idea of "always online" was in part a result of what devs wanted as a way to have persistent DRM. ME3 also had this nasty problem of DLC not working if you weren't online (xbox). And I mean SP DLC. The problem wasn't only that people just plain didn't want to be forced to play MP (many many people didn't and felt MP meant the emphasis was changing from a story based game to a shooter), but that if you didn't have a good connection to the internet or maybe didn't even have one at all, then you were out of luck and couldn't see Shepard take a breath. Bioware/EA just assumed in everything they did that everyone everywhere had an internet connection and would jump at the chance to play horde mode MP. And don't get me wrong, I had fun with the MP up until it became all Krogans all the time with many of them following me to get the melee kill on some foe I was one shot away from killing. Or until I kept running into invisible foe matches, where I could only hope I'd get lucky and actually hit something I couldn't see.

In fact, EA stated later that all of their games would from now on have MP and for the next gen consoles they want you to be online to play their games. Consoles and PCs-you will have to log into your Origin account to play. They're ditching the online pass requirement that they came up with BTW. What they did with Sim City is just a form of things to come-huge outcry since yo had to be online to play a single player game. EA does things and other companies follow their lead.

As to this game and whether 4800 or 5000 matters, well it's subjective. People see a mountain and want to climb it. If it's made impossible, then it becomes a frustration. And we all have things we're more inclined to do and things we just don't like or cannot do. But things in the game that are so crippled by lag (causes graphic rendering errors or prevents things from registering among other things), then it just does make sense to have separate "games" tied to specific rankings. Time trials should be in their own separate instance. PvP in my opinion should exist on its own. That's how I see it and yes, I did grind and finish all the gold time trials and all the PvP stuff. PvP was so not fun.

MartyrMarcus
07-30-2013, 10:01 AM

I bear no ill will towards PvPers either, except the ones who come into the PvE part and start saying those of us who enjoy it lack skill or whatever else, they can all die in a hole. I play games to relax, not for a **** waving contest.
But as a general rule of thumb I don't like or agree with games where it has both PvP and PvE but balance is centred around only one. WoW does this and you always get certain classes that become flavour of the month and it messes PvE up because one class is wrecking everything. I always think that in the long run it would save so much hassle just to have PvE and PvP separate from one another. First thing that comes to mind for defiance would be pre-set classes for PvP, but I'm no expert.

Indra Echo
07-30-2013, 10:14 AM
I bear no ill will towards PvPers either, except the ones who come into the PvE part and start saying those of us who enjoy it lack skill or whatever else, they can all die in a hole. I play games to relax, not for a **** waving contest.
But as a general rule of thumb I don't like or agree with games where it has both PvP and PvE but balance is centred around only one. WoW does this and you always get certain classes that become flavour of the month and it messes PvE up because one class is wrecking everything. I always thing that in the long run it would save so much hassle just to have PvE and PvP separate from one another. First thing that comes to mind for defiance would be pre-set classes for PvP, but I'm no expert.

My problem with those who say that anyone that complains about PvP lacks skill or just isn't good at it and so they whine is just not listening, to themselves or to what others are saying.

If PvP is about skill then players should be using weapons that require it and should never complain about nerfed weapons. Skill implies that it's more about a player being able to use anything even melee only and win. The weapon is not important. But PvP often is about the less skilled using weapons that require little if any skill. Sure, there are those that are just good at either creating an effective build or aiming or timing or whatever, but they get drowned out by those that go for quick no-risk kills and those that go for cheating or cloak camping and those that go for just anything that makes them number one. As if that's even important. The old saying applies-it's not about whether you win or lose but how you play the game. If you cheat or do something cheaply then the challenge is non-existent so what did you win really? How does bragging go for that? Like this: "I won because I cheated up the wazoo. I roool!" Wonderful.

I so much agree that the problem for many games is the idea of any sort of carryover from the PvE game to PvP and vice versa. The NPCs are never the same as real people. And weapon hit points in this game as far as NPCs go are determined by a lot of different things, including how many real players are fighting the NPC and the situation in which the NPC exists. Raiders at arkfalls may be harder than some that you find roaming around. And some NPCs are really easy if you fight them alone but get harder if you bring along a friend. PvP is not at all like this.

I do agree PvP and PvE should be separate including classes and weapon leveling and use and even unlocked EGOs and perks.

N3gativeCr33p
07-30-2013, 10:30 AM
I do agree PvP and PvE should be separate including classes and weapon leveling and use and even unlocked EGOs and perks.

Quoted for truth.

Thearl
07-30-2013, 10:30 AM
I agree that PvP definitely needs more options. I think at a minimum it needs some bare bones modes and limited loadout modes for some standardized play options.

Like TSW does?

Tayxo
07-31-2013, 09:28 AM
What? Wait a minute. Did I understand this right, I don't get XP after all my weapons are at 20?
What if a vehicle isn't at 20 (not a big fan of driving the Cerb at PvP)?

Maitreakow
07-31-2013, 09:37 AM
What? Wait a minute. Did I understand this right, I don't get XP after all my weapons are at 20?

You don't get XP after all Perk slots are filled/enough spare EGO points to fill the empty slots.

ISLAND3R
07-31-2013, 09:49 AM

you may be able to reach 5000 without doing all pvp if you have done all the extra pursuits since day one and max all weapons out. I just hit 5000 but still have about 100 ego points in weapons levels left. I have this because I did do all the extra pursuits. This will keep you from having to do the 50 hours of pvp etc.
But I def agree. A game like defiance doesn't need PVP. It would be perfectly fine without it. And the pvp aspect of the game wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't possible to get killed by two damn infector bugs!!!! That's just crazy. I have a shield with 2300 cap and I am getting killed by 2 bugs?? Come on trion. What the hell are you thinking.
Then there is all the damn glitches out there. You have the one that sets your *** on fire!! The one that drops your damage down to almost nothing when the enemies shield breaks. Its pathetic. And best of all most of these players will swear over their parents grave " NO IM NOT CHEATING"? It makes me smile, shake my head, and move on!!
I think the best thing for all game devs out there would be to make either/or options. For example in this case, give the player the option to earn these ego points either through pvp or another method. Same goes for the achievements. The ones for pvp should be an option. Give us two ways to get that ach. for the players that hate the pvp aspect of it.

Tayxo
07-31-2013, 10:11 AM
You don't get XP after all Perk slots are filled/enough spare EGO points to fill the empty slots.

OK, then I hope that I get my weapons and the cerb to 20 before that happens.
I have all PvP pursuits and I'm having fun playing PvP, but I understand that it's frustrating for people who simply don't like PvP. Trion should change this and make it possible to earn XP (and EGO points) even if all perks are at 3.

Nadar
07-31-2013, 10:16 AM
OK, then I hope that I get my weapons and the cerb to 20 before that happens.
I have all PvP pursuits and I'm having fun playing PvP, but I understand that it's frustrating for people who simply don't like PvP. Trion should change this and make it possible to earn XP (and EGO points) even if all perks are at 3.

But what would be the purpose of earning ego points if there are no more perks to use them with? Other than banking them for when new perks are added - and having you wait to earn the perks after they are released rather than filling them with banked points may be intentional.

Maitreakow
07-31-2013, 10:21 AM
But what would be the purpose of earning ego points if there are no more perks to use them with? Other than banking them for when new perks are added - and having you wait to earn the perks after they are released rather than filling them with banked points may be intentional.

I would be happy with just earning XP...

Nadar
07-31-2013, 10:22 AM

My personal opinion is not to do this. It isn't what the pursuit intends so satisfying it this way is somewhat 'cheating' (not that it would be considered that by Trion and definitely not a banning offense). But if you want to really claim the 5000 ego, you should earn it the way the game intended it to be earned...taking shortcuts means you didn't really earn it regardless of what the scoreboard says.

Soren
07-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Is there even a reward for hitting 5k EGO other than bragging rights/completion's sake? 'cause either way PvP is part of the game, and 5k EGO seems to pretty much be for those who have completed everything in the game. Which includes PvP. But if it's that big of a deal, I'm sure there will be other PvE-only ways to increase one's EGO to 5k+ whenever they increase the limit.