PDA

View Full Version : The dodge roll useless?

Ido
07-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I have been playing for some time now and I have dome to realise how utterly useless the dodge roll is.
It does not acturelly dodge anything, let me give an exsample I was fighting a Monarch it used its roll attack so I used the dodge roll to get out of the way but still got hit same goes when fighting any sniper.
I find it more viable just to sprint because:

1. You dont have to deal with the standing up animation
2. It is faster
3. You can reload while evading

What do you guys think? Do you even use the dodge?

Inugami
07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Your doin it wrong , Roll can save your butt in alot of situations, better yet Try fighting Nim Then say roll is useless

P1G
07-30-2013, 05:18 PM
It works for me against those big volge guys that charge, but I have to roll as soon as they start the animation. I also use it a lot to escape bad situations in PVP. I'm by no means a good PVP player, but rolling seems to help me out sometimes.

Sliverbaer
07-30-2013, 05:35 PM
The roll is awesome. Just have to time it right.

Also, it will cancel any nano effects. (Poop shoes, electrified hud) Double roll a few times and back to normal.

dwej1973
07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I fought nim five times and not once did I ever use roll. I agree that running is just faster. The only time I use roll is to put myself out of being on fire.

jazz
07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't have any problem dodging and use it often. It was frustrating at first and I thought dodge never worked but my problem was timing my dodges wrong. Once I became familiar with the enemy animation that signaled a certain attack was coming I know that I need to quickly dodge to get out of the way made all the difference for me

3rdpig
07-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I use it all the time, seems to work fine for me. I dodge sideways to quickly avoid incoming fire or melee attacks, and dodge backwards to avoid other attacks. The backwards dodge makes enemies like Monarchs easy, not saying there's not other ways to deal with them easily, but dodge is definitely one way to do it.

Arsenic_Touch
07-30-2013, 09:27 PM
It works fine on slow attacks, it's easy to dodge monarch rolls. It does not work when they're shooting you though. Once an enemy locks on you, either get cover or kill them, no amount of rolling will stop them from hitting you. It also removes nano effects.

xCROOKEDx
07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
I use it all the time. It changes your character's hit-box, which makes it nearly invaluable in almost every low health circumstance.

OverDoneOne
07-30-2013, 10:20 PM
I have been playing for some time now and I have dome to realise how utterly useless the dodge roll is.
It does not acturelly dodge anything, let me give an exsample I was fighting a Monarch it used its roll attack so I used the dodge roll to get out of the way but still got hit same goes when fighting any sniper.
I find it more viable just to sprint because:

1. You dont have to deal with the standing up animation
2. It is faster
3. You can reload while evading

What do you guys think? Do you even use the dodge?

You seem like a smart guy, so why ya askin and no I anit tellin you how to use it because someday I might just have to fight against you in pvp and give ya a real demo of how it works

Truth is if you knew how to fight in real life you wouldn't even be asking this question

Blondin
07-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Truth is if you knew how to fight in real life you wouldn't even be asking this question
Lol!!!

Anyway on topic, I agree with Op, dodge roll is a bit useless, in PvE, most of the time it's easier to just run, in PvP it's more effective to bunny hop, the only interest of dodge roll is to cancel nano (which I use a lot).

Samyaza
07-31-2013, 02:16 AM
if you dodge at the right moment you can avoid all knockback... still get hit though just don't go flying

Whippersnapper
07-31-2013, 02:38 AM
I find roll useful. Though if they're right on top of you, then you'll still get hit. I think you take less damage than a direct frontal hit though.

Also, when being shot at, I avoid some of the shots if I roll, but I will get hit by the first shots, and because of the stand up animation and refocusing, I will get hit again if the enemy resumes shooting quickly. Most enemies shoot in bursts so I get hit again when the time between bursts is short. It doesn't matter if I keep rolling until my shields recover though because I will have enough time to refocus and kill them.

August Barkley
07-31-2013, 06:33 AM
Always use! This thing saves lives.

Anthalus
07-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Love dodge roll, most useful for me taking on flying hellions, when they do the ground slam attacks roll before they hit and you stay where you are ready to keep pounding the weak spots with your fav weapon, same with the monarch roll attack if you are rolling it will go through you (still doing some damage) but you will not get launched or knocked down so are ready to smash the weakspot in the tail.

Conneri
07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
It's useful. You just have to time it right. I tried PvP last night for the first time, and yeah, rolling through people into cover is crazy useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfg5d2w0Iao

Keeper Riff
07-31-2013, 09:12 AM
It highly depends on your network performance, the latency time in particular. The server sends some data that the enemy is attacking -> you press the roll -> your computer sends that you begin the roll -> the roll animation starts -> your computer sends your new coordinates and all this should happen before the AI checks if his attack should succeed. If you rolled but the server haven't received that data, you're standing still for it. From your side it would look like you rolled, but the enemy's attack is homing at you, sometimes even through solid cover or terrain. If you just run sideways, the server can interpolate your position exactly at the time of the AI check, so it may be more accurate on loose connection.

Numina
07-31-2013, 09:19 AM

Lol!!!

I thought I was the only one who caught that hahaha

Linamaria
07-31-2013, 10:39 AM
I thought I was the only one who caught that hahaha

lmao!

For sure you weren't the only one who caught that! lol

koldmiser
07-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Love it when I remember to use it! :D

Caswallawn
07-31-2013, 12:23 PM
there is also the fact roll clears all nano effects, so if you get the slow walk or electric one that stops you going into aim roll and you go back to normal, same with the damaging nanos.

so really roll is quite important if you use it properly.

Heinzlee
07-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Didn't read all replies so sorry if already mentioned but rolling stops you getting staggered.

When the monarch is rolling towards you, and you're going to get hit, if you roll, you'll still take damage but you won't be thrown back. Which means you still have plenty of time to shoot it in the *****.

Same with hulkers. If you roll when it charges you; again you take damage but you'll get back on your feet after the roll. Pretty useful if it's the third charge so you can shoot it in the head!

mrkyledd
08-01-2013, 07:49 PM
It took me up to about EGO 800 to perfect all the things. For e.g. i didn't know how to roll, or even fast travel till EGO 500.

the day I learned to roll, things like fighting.. everything really got a lot easier. And when i fought Nim, rolling REALLY saved my butt.

Sanguinesun
08-01-2013, 07:52 PM
It took me up to about EGO 800 to perfect all the things. For e.g. i didn't know how to roll, or even fast travel till EGO 500.

the day I learned to roll, things like fighting.. everything really got a lot easier. And when i fought Nim, rolling REALLY saved my butt.

Dodge rolling also really is helpful when timed correctly against volge attack AI's as well.

Yewa
08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
rolling is also good to get out of the blast range of explosions. specially that bad grenade you just threw at your feet.

OverDoneOne
08-02-2013, 02:17 AM
Oh get real this player doesn't know how to use roll and just wants someone to explain how it's done correctly and effectively.

So go ahead teach him so one day he can beat you in pvp at your own game LOL

Linamaria
08-02-2013, 06:01 AM
So go ahead teach him so one day he can beat you in pvp at your own game LOL

Ok... Maybe I didn't get it properly... Well maybe... :rolleyes:

Please, could you clarify it for me? Besides what he is supposedly asking or trying to find out... What's wrong in someone learning something "new", getting better, then starts to beat other player in PvP?

OverDoneOne
08-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Ok... Maybe I didn't get it properly... Well maybe... :rolleyes:

Please, could you clarify it for me? Besides what he is supposedly asking or trying to find out... What's wrong in someone learning something "new", getting better, then starts to beat other player in PvP?

I really don't know but perhaps being an old school player we didn't have to ask and learned on our own and like the fact that other players can't beat us because we worked hard to learn the moves that we use and aren't going to teach someone how to have even have a chance of beating us.

Get real PvP is competitive and bunny hoppers don't need to learn anymore new tricks

Linamaria
08-03-2013, 07:24 AM
I really don't know but perhaps being an old school player we didn't have to ask and learned on our own and like the fact that other players can't beat us because we worked hard to learn the moves that we use and aren't going to teach someone how to have even have a chance of beating us.

Get real PvP is competitive and bunny hoppers don't need to learn anymore new tricks

lol Right... Thank you for your reply! :rolleyes: