PDA

View Full Version : Please offer a Grace Period for Physical Pre Orders. ~ Requesting a Dev Response

Pages : [1] 2

Muffinman
03-29-2013, 08:58 AM
I per ordered the Physical Collectors Edition months ago from Best buy (Had a best buy gift card >.<) and assumed that I would be able to get in and start playing as soon as the servers come up. I am the leader of a decent sized clan and really need to get in as soon as they turn on the servers.

I assumed that I would be able to do this, I had no clue that best buy doesn't ship pre orders out until the day of launch or after, and then you have to wait a few days for shipping. There needs to be some kind of grace period for those of us who paid the extra money and ordered the collectors editions (3 days would be nice) by entering out Pre Order key or another proof of purchase.

I have faith that Trion will do a grace period, like they did with Rift. I really need to know if you guys can do this, or if I will need to buy another digital copy of the game so I can get in when the servers turn on.

Could we please have a dev response on this?

Thanks!

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 09:13 AM
I per ordered the Physical Collectors Edition months ago from Best buy (Had a best buy gift card >.<) and assumed that I would be able to get in and start playing as soon as the servers come up. I am the leader of a decent sized clan and really need to get in as soon as they turn on the servers.

I assumed that I would be able to do this, I had no clue that best buy doesn't ship pre orders out until the day of launch or after, and then you have to wait a few days for shipping. There needs to be some kind of grace period for those of us who paid the extra money and ordered the collectors editions (3 days would be nice) by entering out Pre Order key or another proof of purchase.

I have faith that Trion will do a grace period, like they did with Rift. I really need to know if you guys can do this, or if I will need to buy another digital copy of the game so I can get in when the servers turn on.

Thanks!

I'm in the same exact boat. If I'm lucky I'll get my ultimate edition delivered by 6pm PDT on the 2nd, when the game launches 9pm PDT on the 1st. Most likely won't be here on the 2nd either.

I sent Trion support an email with my receipt scans and they told me that they can't help me because I bought through a third party retailer.

Really? Buy the ultimate edition and play later than everyone else?

Jebediah Morningside
03-29-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm not in a similar position of responsibility, but with all the Easter holidays and no shipping mail received as of yet it's highly doubtful I'll get my pre-ordered physical edition in time on the 2nd. If I'm lucky, it's gonna be the 3rd or even the 4th. So I am indeed hoping they're gonna do a grace period of at least three days.

Blastiel
03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Think yourself lucky, Europe won't be seeing the UE until the 12th or later!

Muffinman
03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Yea, this is kinda sad. I sent PMs to the CMs about this a few weeks ago, and never got a response.

I have really become disappointed with Trion lately, their CS has really gone down hill in the past couple months, they used to be so awesome around the time Rift launched. If they don't give us a grace period, I will be extremely disappointed with them.

Muffinman
03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Think yourself lucky, Europe won't be seeing the UE until the 12th or later!

Don't you guys get some kind of grace period for that though?

Blastiel
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Don't you guys get some kind of grace period for that though?

Nope, you just get to wait an extra 10 days unless you want to pick up a standard copy on the 2nd.

...or like me got Amazon to accept a used Standard Edition back as a return :D

IGears
03-29-2013, 09:37 AM
well to be honest, its not really Trion's fault that you are getting the game later than others. If they did do a "grace period" it would be out of the kindness of their heart. Europe, on the other hand, got screwed. Im getting the UE for PC and I'm not sure if my local Gamestop is doing a midnight release. I dont expect Trion to hold my hand and give me a "Grace Period" because of it.

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 09:40 AM
I still don't see what's the point of this grace period.

Jebediah Morningside
03-29-2013, 09:41 AM
@ Blastiel

I am in Europe, I did preorder the Ultimate Edition for PC on Amazon.co.uk, but have yet to receive the email stating my delivery will be delayed. Perhaps ordering on Jan. 24th was early enough and I am one among a few who get a unit from the initial UE batch.

Muffinman
03-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Just talked to CS, and pretty much begged for a grace period...

GM Aralyrn: Thanks for contacting Trion Worlds Customer Support. My name is GM Aralyrn. I'm happy to look into your issue for you today.
Me: Hey there, will there be a grace period for physical pre orders?
GM Aralyrn: I can certainly understand how that can be frustrating. I will be more than happy to assist you with that! In order to do so, I’m going to need to collect some information from you.

Is the e-mail on this chat linked to the account in question, or is there another e-mail related to this issue? If there is another e-mail related, may I please have that information?
Me: it shoudl be
GM Aralyrn: Great, thanks! Just a moment while I retrieve your account information.
Me: k
GM Aralyrn: Ok, how may I help you?
GM Aralyrn: Are you asking about return policy?
Me: no, I mean grace period for physical pre orders, will we be able to play when the game launches if we ordered a physical edition, or will we have to wait for it to get shipped?
Me: I have a pre order code and proof of purchase
GM Aralyrn: You should be able to receive the copy the day of release.
GM Aralyrn: Is it for XBOX or PS3?
Me: Best buy doesn't ship it out until the day of or after
Me: its for PC
Me: so ive got the patcher on my PC already
GM Aralyrn: Unfortunately, since the order is not with us, we can't help you with a grace period. However, usually when you preorder from anywhere, it arrives the day after they say they shipped.
Me: so there isn't a grace period for pre orders like you guys did with rift?
GM Aralyrn: I will double check to be certain, but I don't think there is.
GM Aralyrn: One moment while I do that.
GM Aralyrn: Yeah, unfortunately, there is not.
Me: why isn't there? I can provide my proof of purchase, and pre ordercode
GM Aralyrn: I completely understand but there is not a way for us to do that.
GM Aralyrn: Since it's a box copy we can not.
GM Aralyrn: May I assist you with anything else today?
Me: but I have proof of purchase? :P
Me: would it be possible for you to provide game access to my account for ~3 days or so so I can get in and set up my guild when the game goes live?
Me: I have been testing games with you guys since the very first Rift beta
Me: Ive tested EoN in alpha/beta, Rift SL in beta, and defiance in Alpha/beta, and i've been a subscriber to rift since launch, I think you guys can trust me
GM Aralyrn: I understand, and I know it's frustrating not being to get the first jump on the game, but we still can't give a grace period.
Me: can you connect me to someone who can then? Because I know someone can
GM Aralyrn: I have talked with our customer support lead. He was the one who informed me we do not have a grace period.
GM Aralyrn: I know it's frustrating but we do not have a grace period.
Me: I have really become dissapointed with you guys lately, something like this is essential to online game launches, you did it for Rift, why not here?
Me: So I paid more money to be able to play the game later then everyone else
GM Aralyrn: I have gone up as far as possible. I really do you want you to play our game on release, but it's just not possible because we do not have a grace period.
Me: Well that's pathetic, you guys really have gone down hill lately
GM Aralyrn: We have digital purchases of the game on our site.
GM Aralyrn: You will be able to play the game at release.
Me: could you credit me a digital purchase and revoke it a few days after launch?
GM Aralyrn: Unfortunately, no I could not.
GM Aralyrn: Is there anything else I could help you with today?
Me: nope
You have disconnected.

Just sad..

IGears
03-29-2013, 09:50 AM
What did i say?....

War5torm
03-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Thanks!
Maybe you should do your research next time, instead of assuming. Why should Trion do something about your problem with Best Buy.

You already get extra stuff with the collector's edition... Now you want more because the company you ordered it from isn't sending it to you on release day? Give your head a shake.

Trion doesn't need to do anything. It has nothing to do with them.

If they gave you extra content.. How do you think all of the other people who got their collectors edition on release day would feel?

Arsenic_Touch
03-29-2013, 09:58 AM

I don't either. That's what the digital download is for. That's what digital downloads have always been for, that convenience.

Tibbs
03-29-2013, 09:59 AM

I agree. With all due respect it is not like you get anything negative for not starting the first day, except having to wait. Yeah, I may get more ego, but so what.

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 10:00 AM

GM Aralyrn: Thanks for contacting Trion Worlds Customer Support. My name is GM Aralyrn. I'm happy to look into your issue for you today.
GM Aralyrn: I can certainly understand how that can be frustrating. I will be more than happy to assist you with that! In order to do so, I’m going to need to collect some information from you.

Is the e-mail on this chat linked to the account in question, or is there another e-mail related to this issue? If there is another e-mail related, may I please have that information?
GM Aralyrn: Great, thanks! Just a moment while I retrieve your account information.
Me: no, I mean grace period for physical pre orders, will we be able to play when the game launches if we ordered a physical edition, or will we have to wait for it to get shipped?
GM Aralyrn: Unfortunately, since the order is not with us, we can't help you with a grace period. However, usually when you preorder from anywhere, it arrives the day after they say they shipped.
Me: would it be possible for you to provide game access to my account for ~3 days or so so I can get in and set up my guild when the game goes live?
Me: Ive tested EoN in alpha/beta, Rift SL in beta, and defiance in Alpha/beta, and i've been a subscriber to rift since launch, I think you guys can trust me
GM Aralyrn: I understand, and I know it's frustrating not being to get the first jump on the game, but we still can't give a grace period.
GM Aralyrn: I have talked with our customer support lead. He was the one who informed me we do not have a grace period.
Me: I have really become dissapointed with you guys lately, something like this is essential to online game launches, you did it for Rift, why not here?
GM Aralyrn: I have gone up as far as possible. I really do you want you to play our game on release, but it's just not possible because we do not have a grace period.
Me: could you credit me a digital purchase and revoke it a few days after launch?
You have disconnected.

Just sad..

You could have been more respectful to her. She was trying really hard to be nice. And you didn't have to say what you said about them being pathetic.

It's not Trion Worlds fault that you're getting the game after the release date. So going to them is pointless. Therefore, your proposition for a "grace period" is pointless.

Why should they give you something because another companies policies won't allow you to get the game on release date? No reason whatsoever. It's partially your fault. You probably knew the policy but decided to preorder from BB, so you would've been better off choosing a different store to order from.

SAKE
03-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Trion doesn't need to do anything. Next time research the company policy on preorders and shipping. This is your fault, not Trions. On top of that, you treated that CS like dirt, and I'm glad you didn't get what you wanted.

Brezick
03-29-2013, 10:03 AM
It it that people do not have enough of a life, that it becomes life or death that they are unable to play a video game the exact moment it becomes available? If the game ships out and arrives on Wednesday, will you have already slit your wrists? You know you paid for it, you will see a tracking number when it ships, you know it will arrive based on that info. I dont get what all the anxiety is about over a day or even a couple hours.

Some people need a better perspective on LIFE.

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 10:07 AM
It it that people do not have enough of a life, that it becomes life or death that they are unable to play a video game the exact moment it becomes available? If the game ships out and arrives on Wednesday, will you have already slit your wrists? You know you paid for it, you will see a tracking number when it ships, you know it will arrive based on that info. I dont get what all the anxiety is about over a day or even a couple hours.

Yeah I agree with you but, you might have went a little bit too far about the whole "slit your wrists" part.

Btd5025
03-29-2013, 10:08 AM

This.
W

OP, your feeling way to entitled in your post. I got to the part where you said : "I am the leader of a decent sized clan and really need to get in as soon as they turn on the servers" and stopped reading. Why should a developer give you a grace period based off of how "big" your clan is?

EDIT: Muffin, just read your chat log with the GM; boy
You're a big, self entitled ******. I hope nothing is given to you.

MacDeath
03-29-2013, 10:08 AM
I agree that Trion didn't create these problems of late delivery. and no I don't have the issue but... Trion can win some good PR and customer satisfaction if they would offer a few days grace so that those who haven't received their physical box by release day can still start the game on release day. Yes, the customer would have to be able to provide proof of purchase, probably a copy of the purchase receipt.

Mac supports this message.

ThatQEDguy
03-29-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks!

There was the big problem. You assumed. When it comes to life and all things in it, assuming is never the way to go. This is not Trion's fault. It's BB for their policy and yours for not doing research. Them doing a grace period is something they can give to you. It's not a right at all.

IGears
03-29-2013, 10:10 AM

Too soon, Too soon...

Trog
03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Ok let me get this straight. you pay blank amount of usd, euro, rmb......etc to a company that says "we mail the items on the day of release" and you contact the maker of the game saying they should force the company to violate the company's set rules.

If you are worried about not getting the game in time switch to a company that will get you the game on time or pay the extra 80.00 (avg cost) to have the game to you at 8am (USA only sorry) on April 2.

Schnibbly
03-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Wow, I find bigger cry babies on the internet everyday. I'm laughing at you OP.

I live in California, meaning on the 1st would be able to start playing, but I got the game through PSN for the convience of the two for the price of one. But that means I gotta wait for the 2nd in the afternoon. Now, do you see me jumping around making stupid threads about pointless topics? No, im simply WAITING.

Muffinman
03-29-2013, 10:15 AM

No.

It has nothing to do with not having a life. As you can see, I am the GM of the defiance branch of a cross game community, and I have to be there at launch to start the clan. I would be fine waiting a few days but I am scared that we might lose a few people if I don't get on without a few hours of launch.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 10:18 AM
All I'm asking for is that they add Defiance to my account and let me play it the day it comes out, same as everyone else.

boosted gear
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
No.

It has nothing to do with not having a life. As you can see, I am the GM of the defiance branch of a cross game community, and I have to be there at launch to start the clan. I would be fine waiting a few days but I am scared that we might lose a few people if I don't get on without a few hours of launch.

You could probably do with out them in your clan if they cant wait a day.

iiReLaX o
No.

We all saw the "I am the GM of the defiance branch of a cross game community" bit, just send out a message and tell them you're game is being shipped later.

Vuule
No.

So.. You lose people because you can't start a clan asap? Wow, talk about being impatient. You're probably better off without 'em.

Trog
03-29-2013, 10:23 AM
As you can see, I am the GM of the defiance branch of a cross game community, and I have to be there at launch to start the clan.

Not to rag but shouldn't the GM be better equipped to handle a problem like this?

Muffinman
03-29-2013, 10:23 AM
You could have been more respectful to her. She was trying really hard to be nice. And you didn't have to say what you said about them being pathetic.

It's not Trion Worlds fault that you're getting the game after the release date. So going to them is pointless. Therefore, your proposition for a "grace period" is pointless.

Why should they give you something because another companies policies won't allow you to get the game on release date? No reason whatsoever. It's partially your fault. You probably knew the policy but decided to preorder from BB, so you would've been better off choosing a different store to order from.

I apologize, I was being a little disrespectful, I was just getting a little frustrated.

@ the person who told me to do my research next time. I pre ordered the day it came available so there was no research to be done, and I assumed there would be a grace period just like there was in Rift.

Beck
03-29-2013, 10:28 AM
I really wish there was a +/- system for posts. I think we would see a lot less of these pointless complaints if people knew there would be little help in their cause.

The tl,dr version is: OP stop being an *****hat.

Although I understand the OP's frustration, I agree with everyone who says OP needs to take responsibility. You bought the game, you have a receipt and it says when you can expect to receive it and it is only now, 4 days prior to launch, that this is suddenly an issue? Should you have asked earlier you could have gone to a different store.

What is really going to chap your butt is when you walk in to Best Buy on launch day morning and see the shelves stocked with the ultimate collectors edition and they wont refund your money on the shipped copy for one off the shelf.

What I dislike about this is the OP's sense of entitlement. That, for what ever reason, because they are them they should get special treatment or compensation for putting them selves out. There are a lot of posts similar to this and for whatever reason others feel they too are more important than others and rather than searching the forums for an answer that already exists and accepting it they post the same question expecting a different answer because they are some how special. - Is this not the definition of insanity?

Be kind to the GM's/CM's these people have a job to do and it should not have to include rudeness from the very people who they have chosen to serve and represent to their supervisors and developers when serious issues arise. Use your manners, show appreciation and gratitude, even if you don't get the answer you like. Remember they heard and addressed your concerns and life does not always work out and be fortunate it is only about a game and not something more serious. They do the best job they can with in their job duties and descriptions, you can't get blood from a stone if there was none there to begin with.

My advice to the OP is to go buy another copy of the game, get in at launch set up your clan and when your copy shows up to transfer ownership and give the other copy away to some unfortunate kid who can't even afford to pay for a copy themselves and see what real gratitude looks like.

Darkeus
03-29-2013, 10:30 AM
You know, when you assume you make an *** out of you.

And that is exactly what happened. You cannot assume anything. OP, you don't need a grace period just because you pre-ordered from the wrong place. If you are controlling this clan, you must be prepared. Next time, I bet you won't preorder so fast until you have waited and looked at all possible methods of getting the game.

Lack of planning and a little impatience on your part. Trion is not responsible for your mistake....

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 10:33 AM

I'm still trying to figure out the censored word. I've tried like 5 different words.

Muffinman
03-29-2013, 10:36 AM
I really wish there was a +/- system for posts. I think we would see a lot less of these pointless complaints if people knew there would be little help in their cause.

Although I understand the OP's frustration, I agree with everyone who says OP needs to take responsibility. You bought the game, you have a receipt and it says when you can expect to receive it and it is only now, 4 days prior to launch, that this is suddenly an issue? Should you have asked earlier you could have gone to a different store.

What is really going to chap your butt is when you walk in to Best Buy on launch day morning and see the shelves stocked with the ultimate collectors edition and they wont refund your money on the shipped copy for one off the shelf.

What I dislike about this is the OP's sense of entitlement. That, for what ever reason, because they are them they should get special treatment or compensation for putting them selves out. There are a lot of posts similar to this and for whatever reason others feel they too are more important than others and rather than searching the forums for an answer that already exists and accepting it they post the same question expecting a different answer because they are some how special. - Is this not the definition of insanity?

Be kind to the GM's/CM's these people have a job to do and it should not have to include rudeness from the very people who they have chosen to serve and represent to their supervisors and developers when serious issues arise. Use your manners, show appreciation and gratitude, even if you don't get the answer you like. Remember they heard and addressed your concerns and life does not always work out and be fortunate it is only about a game and not something more serious. They do the best job they can with in their job duties and descriptions, you can't get blood from a stone if there was none there to begin with.

My advice to the OP is to go buy another copy of the game, get in at launch set up your clan and when your copy shows up to transfer ownership and give the other copy away to some unfortunate kid who can't even afford to pay for a copy themselves and see what real gratitude looks like.

I do not feel entitled to anything, I know its not Trions fault, but I just went to make sure before I spend 60$ on a digital copy.

Beck
03-29-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm still trying to figure out the censored word. I've tried like 5 different words.

It's only 3 letters, starts with an A, has two ss's. Kind of like this:http://www.ktamradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/butthat1.png

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
It's only 3 letters, starts with an A, has two ss's. Kind of like this:

Lol it had 5* so I was like what is that word

DustOfDeath
03-29-2013, 10:55 AM
The "grace" periode would allow anyone who never even bought the game to play aswell - there is no way they can confirm if you were the "real" owner of a game or not (and manually confirmign all the purchase proofs etc would be massive waste of time).

It would beat part of the purpose of preordeing (if everyoen can play anyways at start) and would cause sudden overload since there will be more players then expected based of sold copies.

Travie
03-29-2013, 10:55 AM
I support this idea. It would create some work for the CS staff, but it would be great for the customers who are forced to wait.

Defy
03-29-2013, 10:57 AM
on the bright side, if there are any hiccups with the servers at launch, they will get fixed by the time you get to play it :)

Justified
03-29-2013, 11:03 AM
This is exactly why I didn't pre-order from best buy. Their shipping policy on pre-orders blow.

OP- When you checked out, you should have seen a page that looked like this:

http://s22.postimg.org/jpwarjpw1/Untitled.jpg

Please note the area I circled. If you wanted it launch day, you could have gotten it then by paying the extra few bucks. I didn't feel that I should have had to pay extra to get it on launch day, so I went to gamestop to pre-order my copy. Don't get upset at Trion or even Best Buy if you chose not to get it on launch day. What you might be able to do is to call Best Buy and upgrade the shipping to get it on the same day.

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 11:05 AM
This is exactly why I didn't pre-order from best buy. Their shipping policy on pre-orders blow.

OP- When you checked out, you should have seen a page that looked like this:

Please note the area I circled. If you wanted it launch day, you could have gotten it then by paying the extra few bucks. I didn't feel that I should have had to pay extra to get it on launch day, so I went to gamestop to pre-order my copy. Don't get upset at Trion or even Best Buy if you chose not to get it on launch day. What you might be able to do is to call Best Buy and upgrade the shipping to get it on the same day.

You still have to pay for shipping to it get on the RD from Gamestop.

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 11:08 AM
well to be honest, its not really Trion's fault that you are getting the game later than others. If they did do a "grace period" it would be out of the kindness of their heart. Europe, on the other hand, got screwed. Im getting the UE for PC and I'm not sure if my local Gamestop is doing a midnight release. I dont expect Trion to hold my hand and give me a "Grace Period" because of it.

Not to be mean or anything but I agree.. My Gamestop doesn't have midnight Release so I would have to wait till the actual day. I want to ask, with a grace period what do you expect to happen, free xp? server hold outs until you get the game? I mean wth lol

Next time you guys might want to just pick up from a store, like really..

Justified
03-29-2013, 11:10 AM
You still have to pay for shipping to it get on the RD from Gamestop.

Only if you pre-ordered online. I went into the store, so I didn't have to pay extra.

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Only if you pre-ordered online. I went into the store, so I didn't have to pay extra.

Oh I thought you were talking about online.

Mtrai
03-29-2013, 11:41 AM
I want to ask, with a grace period what do you expect to happen, free xp? server hold outs until you get the game? I mean wth lol

No, we just want to play until the box arrives 2 weeks too late.
All other MMO's do this. Physical boxes take time to deliver, that's why we get a grace period.

Next time you guys might want to just pick up from a store, like really..

Ultimate Edition is not sold in the country where I live, only the Collector's edition is. And that is €20 more expensive than the UE is in UK Amazon.

IGears
03-29-2013, 11:52 AM
No, we just want to play until the box arrives 2 weeks too late.
All other MMO's do this. Physical boxes take time to deliver, that's why we get a grace period.

Ultimate Edition is not sold in the country where I live, only the Collector's edition is. And that is €20 more expensive than the UE is in UK Amazon.

yeah, i dont know what they are gonna do with Europe. Y'all should be the only ones complaining about this. maybe they can give you the standard edition. Then when you get the UE, you just send back the unopened game back from the box. i dont know about any honesty problems this may bring so maybe that can charge your account if you dont return the game back in a timely manner.

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
you do know that grace periods only works if you have released pre-order codes... and have you guys gotten the pre-order codes from the places you ordered from?

if not, a grace period is impossible to enforce...

Btd5025
03-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Or, you guys could just go pick it up at Wal-mart at midnight, instead of pre-ordering it from anywhere (for physical copies).

I don't understand why people get butt-hurt when their gamestop's don't do midnight launches.

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 12:01 PM
you do know that grace periods only works if you have released pre-order codes... and have you guys gotten the pre-order codes from the places you ordered from?

if not, a grace period is impossible to enforce...

I haven't received my codes from Gamestop yet. They haven't even shipped the game yet, and seeing how it's Friday and the game comes out Tuesday it doesn't look like I'll be playing on the RD.

IGears
03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Or, you guys could just go pick it up at Wal-mart at midnight, instead of pre-ordering it from anywhere (for physical copies).

I don't understand why people get butt-hurt when their gamestop's don't do midnight launches.

im not even sure if you read the entire thread.

1. Im not hurt if my Gamestop does or not.
2. If Walmart sold the UE, Then i would of got it there.

seether
03-29-2013, 12:06 PM

You have disconnected.

Just sad..

Mmm. I would hate to be customer service. Especially before coffee. Insulting comments like that would eventually cause me to go into a rage.

How is it CS's fault that you aren't getting to play until you get your game? Maybe Trion's fault, but definitely not CS. In fact, not even Trion. Best Buy has done this for as long as I can remember ordering from them. Usually, it arrives the Saturday or Monday before launch.

All this log shows is you being a jerk while CS trying to do what they can to get what you want. Sorry man, looks like you will have to fall behind the rest of your gui.... wait, just a couple of days? Oh!

Hey Europe, how long before you folks get it again? :)

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
I haven't received my codes from Gamestop yet. They haven't even shipped the game yet, and seeing how it's Friday and the game comes out Tuesday it doesn't look like I'll be playing on the RD.

that's my point..

some mmo's sell pre-order codes for 5 dollars... those you get when you put down your order for the game..

if you had such a one, an mmo could do a grace period... if they wanted...

but since nothing of the order has been done for this game, they cannot in any way, give you guys a grace period.

and please guys (not the one i quoted), stop being mean to customer support people... they are not at fault, and neither is the game developer. There's a reason you only buy digital copies these days, as it has been shown time and time again, that the physical resellers, get huge delays....

Buruko
03-29-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't think there will be a PC grace period as all the console players still have to pick up there own copies as well. Just don't see them favoring one platform over another.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Let us download and play the game the same day as everyone else while we wait for our ultimate editions to arrive. That's what I'm asking, and I think that is what OP is asking?

What's so wrong with that?

IGears
03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Let us download and play the game the same day as everyone else while we wait for our ultimate editions to arrive. That's what I'm asking, and I think that is what OP is asking?

Yeah, for those in Europe, i totally agree.

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 12:17 PM

that's like giving your game away for free.. alot of people only play games for 1-3 days.. so they have the grace period to play the **** out of the game, and then leave having played far, and never paid a dime...

too many lost sales...

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
SO IT'S FINAL! No grace period no matter how much you post. just don't do business with whoever you did it with, simple solution.. For the PERFECT SOLUTION, how about you just pre-order and pick up at the store. How old are you people, twelve?

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 12:19 PM
that's like giving your game away for free.. alot of people only play games for 1-3 days.. so they have the grace period to play the **** out of the game, and then leave having played far, and never paid a dime...

too many lost sales...

BOSS signature bro

IGears
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM

too many lost sales...

also a good point there, whats stopping you from cancelling your pre-order once you get the grace period

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
BOSS signature bro

thanks man... if you got a beard, and work in the combat sector or the likes, you can get in... :D

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 12:24 PM
thanks man... if you got a beard, and work in the combat sector or the likes, you can get in... :D

I'm Spec Ops, but we have to shave. I wish we could keep facial hair hell..

IGears
03-29-2013, 12:33 PM

lol thats cool, i mean served in the Army but i couldnt have a beard. I could of had a shaving profile if i really wanted lol

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm Spec Ops, but we have to shave. I wish we could keep facial hair hell..

which spec ops you in? most i know allow facial hair, even encourage it in these times...

MoFetti
03-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Servers go up 9pm my time on April 1st, I ordered the CE edition and will be getting it on april 2 when my gamestop opens. Be patient people this is not like a normal MMO where you are racing to become the all powerful lvl cap. If it is as balanced as they say even at max lvl a noob will still be able to take you down.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 12:55 PM

too many lost sales...

I'm not suggesting that. I sent them an email with my receipts and they still will not add the game to my account. They should be accepting that as proof of purchase and letting us play. It's their stupid failure of a system.

I should not be punished for deciding to give them more money.

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm not suggesting that. I sent them an email with my receipts and they still will not add the game to my account. They should be accepting that as proof of purchase and letting us play. It's their stupid failure of a system.

I should not be punished for deciding to give them more money.

did you pay trion directly?
and what's to stop you walking down and getting all your money back from the store when they opens again?

Also, you should have made sure that all the money went to trion directly, instead of buying it somewhere else, adding another chain of people earning on the game trion made...

they can't control all that... so no freebies...

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
which spec ops you in? most i know allow facial hair, even encourage it in these times...

Navy.. Waiting to leave out now..

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Navy.. Waiting to leave out now..

well when you do, grow a beard, and join the club on facebook...

DepreszD
03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
well when you do, grow a beard, and join the club on facebook...

I will bro, trust me..

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
did you pay trion directly?
and what's to stop you walking down and getting all your money back from the store when they opens again?

Also, you should have made sure that all the money went to trion directly, instead of buying it somewhere else, adding another chain of people earning on the game trion made...

they can't control all that... so no freebies...

Because Trion does not sell the ultimate edition. I have to go through a third party website. There is no way to get the ultimate edition AND play on launch day.

Jebediah Morningside
03-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Bioware had you enter payment information before they permitted you to use the grace period. I can't see why this couldn't be done for Defiance as well. Ask $10 to $15 total from people for up to five days, and whoever registers their game during that time gets his money converted into Bits.

Irathiar
03-29-2013, 01:50 PM
god man stop with the grace period crap. i cant have my copy untill the 12th and guess what i dont mind jst means i have to wait at least then there wont be any release day lag and if there are any small bugs or glitches they will be sorted by then hopefully so stop askin for somthing you dont need. at least you can still play the game so just enjoy it when you can

Psyqhical
03-29-2013, 01:51 PM
I am special.

No, you're not.

Justified
03-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Because Trion does not sell the ultimate edition. I have to go through a third party website. There is no way to get the ultimate edition AND play on launch day.

Yes there is. Go into a real gamestop and order there instead of online.

IGears
03-29-2013, 02:29 PM

hes in Europe?

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 02:32 PM
hes in Europe?

well there are still alot of stores in europe...

and also lots of places in europe where you can buy a code directly online...

i have before bought a standard code to play from the start, and then entered my collectors code when it arrived...

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM

I went into a gamestop and they had no ultimate editions in store. The only option they gave me was ordering one.

Snaloe
03-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Hope they do for everyone that has had delays with there boxed edition. :rolleyes:

Valethar
03-29-2013, 02:52 PM
They should just release the stores from the release date restrictions for the 2nd, and allow people to pick up pre-orders only on the 1st. Since they're opening the servers at 9pm PDT on 04/01, for example, why make the west coast wait 12+ hours to get started?

Justified
03-29-2013, 02:55 PM
I went into a gamestop and they had no ultimate editions in store. The only option they gave me was ordering one.

That's the point of a pre-order. You will get it on launch day if you go to a store and pre-order it. Did you expect to get it sooner? Gamestop wouldn't have any editions in the store.

Mcdragon
03-29-2013, 02:56 PM
yeah dont understand why they "need" to give anything trion isnt responsible for anything a vendor does they already purchased the game from trion i believe. shouldve just baught the digital version then upgraded to the collecters afterwards. you dont pay extra just hte differece

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 03:38 PM
That's the point of a pre-order. You will get it on launch day if you go to a store and pre-order it. Did you expect to get it sooner? Gamestop wouldn't have any editions in the store.

You must be confused. I'm not asking for it early, I'm asking for it on LAUNCH DAY. Because they're shipping it I won't get it until late on the 2nd if I'm really lucky. Looking more at a couple days after.

What I want is for Trion to add Defiance to my account so I can download and play on launch day like everyone else. As it stands I have to wait for my copy to arrive first.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 03:40 PM
yeah dont understand why they "need" to give anything trion isnt responsible for anything a vendor does they already purchased the game from trion i believe. shouldve just baught the digital version then upgraded to the collecters afterwards. you dont pay extra just hte differece

Didital deluxe != ultimate edition.

Trion needed to have given us a way to add the game to our account after we pre-ordered so that we could also pre-download the game and play on launch day.

Instead we have to wait until the physical game actually arrives before we can even put a code in and start downloading.

Guild wars 2 gave a code on the receipt that we could enter on the website to download the game and be ready for launch day, even if our actual physical copy was still being mailed to us. Why can't Trion do that?

Valethar
03-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Why can't Trion do that?

Apparently because the $150 for the UE isn't as valuable to them as the $60 for the Digital copy.

I'm trying to talk the folks at the local GS to let me pick it up Monday night, since the servers open right before they close on the west coast. I asked Mathew (Sledge) via Twitter if they'd give the retailers the OK to let us pick up pre-orders on Monday, but I doubt that will happen.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Apparently because the $150 for the UE isn't as valuable to them as the $60 for the Digital copy.

I'm trying to talk the folks at the local GS to let me pick it up Monday night, since the servers open right before they close on the west coast. I asked Mathew (Sledge) via Twitter if they'd give the retailers the OK to let us pick up pre-orders on Monday, but I doubt that will happen.

None of the GameStops in my area have said they even have copies in the store.

Btw Puyallup? I live 30 minutes from there.

Serrot
03-29-2013, 04:04 PM
The sense of entitlement in this thread...jesus christ.

All I can say - welcome to the wonderful worlds of MMO. If you so desperately wanted to play on RD, digital copies are the way to go. You all learnt something this week. Learn from it.

It is not Trion's fault you won't be getting the game until after it is launched, you didn't purchase the game from them. They ship it to their retailers, who then ship it to you, with their own personal delivery T&C. The only people who would deserve a "grace period" would be the EU guys, who have to wait 10 ( TEN!) days to play with their CE copies.

Grow up.

Valethar
03-29-2013, 04:09 PM
None of the GameStops in my area have said they even have copies in the store.

Btw Puyallup? I live 30 minutes from there.

Only if you're not driving on I-5 or 167 :)

I'm going to see if the GS here on Meridian will let me pick mine up Monday night, since the servers will be going live just around the time they close. It's already paid off, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 04:09 PM

All I can say - welcome to the wonderful worlds of MMO. If you so desperately wanted to play on RD, digital copies are the way to go. You all learnt something this week. Learn from it.

It is not Trion's fault you won't be getting the game until after it is launched, you didn't purchase the game from them. They ship it to their retailers, who then ship it to you, with their own personal delivery T&C. The only people who would deserve a "grace period" would be the EU guys, who have to wait 10 ( TEN!) days to play with their CE copies.

Grow up.

Holy ****. Sense of entitlement is wanting to play it on launch day? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Other MMOs that you can pre-order always come with codes on the receipt so that you can get set up and ready for launch day, even if you are still waiting for the physical copy to arrive in the mail. This is what Guild Wars 2 did.

Trion screwed up and didn't do this, so if you buy an ultimate edition you have to wait for it to actually be in your hands.

If I'm paying over $150.00 for their game then I am entitled to play it on RELEASE. That's why they usually include a code with the receipt.

Valethar
03-29-2013, 04:10 PM

Why so serious?

Serrot
03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Holy ****. Sense of entitlement is wanting to play it on launch day? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Other MMOs that you can pre-order always come with codes on the receipt so that you can get set up and ready for launch day, even if you are still waiting for the physical copy to arrive in the mail. This is what Guild Wars 2 did.

Trion screwed up and didn't do this, so if you buy an ultimate edition you have to wait for it to actually be in your hands.

If I'm paying over $150.00 for their game then I am entitled to play it on RELEASE. That's why they usually include a code with the receipt.

Why are you even comparing GW2 and Defiance? It's two completley different companies.

Edit: Excuse me, AreaNet and Trion.

Muffinman
03-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Why are you even comparing GW2 and Defiance? It's two completley different companies.

Trion offered a grace period for Rift

Cryptor
03-29-2013, 04:15 PM
There has to be at least 1 day grace period for this, 2 would actually make more sense imho. Anything else will be a marketing disaster. You can't launch a mmorpg without at least 1-2 day grace period.

We went thru this when Rift launched, every other company seems to be able to get their shtako together why can't Trion? Do a 2 day grace period - done, problem solved.

Clarification - it took A LOT of whining & posting by the community before Trion offered a grace period for Rift.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 04:17 PM

Because they're both MMOs and they both use the same payment model? They both had similar pre-order packages?

If you want me comparing Trion to Trion, well, Trion had a grace period for Rift.

Serrot
03-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Trion offered a grace period for Rift

And they aren't with Defiance. Well, not at present anyway.

Cryptor
03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Am I the only one here who was actually there for Rift launch ?

'couse it took one huge shtako storm on the forums for Trion to provide grace period. It's not like Trion was offering a grace period during Rift launch from the start. It was exactly thesame issue like we are having now but the main culprit with Rift was Amazon not Gamestop, other then that it was thesame thing.

Arsenic_Touch
03-29-2013, 04:23 PM

You are not entitled to play it on release. You are entitled to the extras that you paid for. Where in any of their advertisements does it say the ultimate edition entitles you to playing a physical copy of a game the moment the servers go live? Trion didn't screw up, you did. If you wanted to play at launch you would've made a digital purchase. It's really simple.

dirtyklingon
03-29-2013, 04:25 PM
tbh no headstart or grace period was advertised and one of the incentives to buy digital is the convenience of avoiding issues like OP is having.

next time get digital and save yourself the embarrassment of making threads like this.

Valethar
03-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Well, Gs won't be letting people pick them up early, sadly.

Sledge said it's not Trion's call on when we can pick it up, but GS said if they let anyone pick it up early so they can play when the servers go up, they have to worry about legal ramifications from Trion.

Long story short, if you're on the west coast, you're screwed for ~12 hours or so. May as well rest up and be ready to go when you can pick it up. :)

Buruko
03-29-2013, 04:26 PM
that's my point..

some mmo's sell pre-order codes for 5 dollars... those you get when you put down your order for the game..

if you had such a one, an mmo could do a grace period... if they wanted...

but since nothing of the order has been done for this game, they cannot in any way, give you guys a grace period.

and please guys (not the one i quoted), stop being mean to customer support people... they are not at fault, and neither is the game developer. There's a reason you only buy digital copies these days, as it has been shown time and time again, that the physical resellers, get huge delays....

Xbox Users do not have a digital option they have to order a physical copy.

Serrot
03-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Text

I could kiss you, I thought I was going insane. I am out of this thread. If Trion give you a grace period, then good luck to you's.

Peace.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 04:29 PM
You are not entitled to play it on release. You are entitled to the extras that you paid for. Where in any of their advertisements does it say the ultimate edition entitles you to playing a physical copy of a game the moment the servers go live? Trion didn't screw up, you did. If you wanted to play at launch you would've made a digital purchase. It's really simple.

They're advertising as it coming out on the 2nd means I should be able to play on the 2nd. This is why many other companies give you a code on the receipt if you order a physical copy. Trion dropped the ball on this.

I've pre-ordered many physical game copes in the past and never had this issue because everyone else does things properly.

Valethar
03-29-2013, 04:30 PM

'couse it took one huge shtako storm on the forums for Trion to provide grace period. It's not like Trion was offering a grace period during Rift launch from the start.

This is true. Even now, you can find the Launch FAQ in their archives on the Rift forum, and it clearly states no grace period. It wasn't until after the player base asked (quite a few of them in a rather rude and unfriendly manner) that Trion finally relented and allowed it.

It'd be slick, but it's not mission critical. Look at it this way, by the time folks in later time zones get in, the congestion in the starting areas will be lighter. In theory anyway. :D

Misfit501
03-29-2013, 04:31 PM
That's why when I preordered from best buy I chose to pick it up in the store.

Mcdragon
03-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Didital deluxe != ultimate edition.

Trion needed to have given us a way to add the game to our account after we pre-ordered so that we could also pre-download the game and play on launch day.

Instead we have to wait until the physical game actually arrives before we can even put a code in and start downloading.

Guild wars 2 gave a code on the receipt that we could enter on the website to download the game and be ready for launch day, even if our actual physical copy was still being mailed to us. Why can't Trion do that?

everyone has been saying that they recieved there code on the reciept. put it in on trion and download the game. i dont see why some people didnt get it. that or they didnt notice

Kroesis
03-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Don't worry people, to paraphrase Sledge, we'll be able to play the game....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/croesis/sayitwithpictures/40736000.jpg

Cryptor
03-29-2013, 04:46 PM
everyone has been saying that they recieved there code on the reciept. put it in on trion and download the game. i dont see why some people didnt get it. that or they didnt notice

Argh, how many times do we have to go over this - Only some retailers do that. Gamestop in Canada for example does not.

Newsin
03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
People, its about principle. It's unfair to those who bought Physical Copies of the game. We have every right to play the game with EVERYONE else. Most MMO games offer a Grace Period. Its common place. This is not a new thing that companies do. This really is a kick in the nuts to those who ordered Physical Copies from the store.

From Game Stop I put in a Pre Order code from my receipt... I will still not be able to download the full game. Just for those who seem to keep pushing the subject. I was also told by Sledgehammer I would have to wait. If you dont know what you're talking about then quit making assumptions.

Badboyjoe95
03-29-2013, 04:59 PM

As I was reading on, I too have been trying to think of what that word was! lol

PopulationControl
03-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Right, so not that anyone cares or believes me but I did tech support and phone-in customer support back in the mid-90s and into the early-00s, almost 10 years worth from Dell Inspiron support to Earthlink Mac support. The OP was a just another call, his call wasn't abnormal, it was standard fair. So if this girl on the line was worth half her salt, OP isn't even a fading memory to her.

I'm from Population Control. Your clan is the Art of War on PC.

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Grace period.... For what?.
Wait so your asking to be able to play the game the day of release because the retailer you ordered from is screwing you over?

Well ya takes your chances and you play with the cards that are dealt in this case you have to wait a few days for your cards to be shipped.

You are not entitled to free digital copy because Best Buy is waiting to ship the product. That is not anyone's fault I suggest you take your issue up with best buy. Maybe next time dont preorder with best buy. They won't change their policy if they start losing money.

Not really sure where people think they are entitled to free stuff just because they are a customer. I work in the service industry. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is for almost every single customer to walk in and ask for a discount just because they showed up that day "hey im here where's my discount." "sir do you have a coupon or discount card, no then sorry but you dont receive a discount"

This hey I bought something where's my discount or free stuff.

People these days have a serious entitlement issue.

Mindfix
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Wait so your asking to be able to play the game the day of release because the retailer you ordered from is screwing you over?

Well ya takes your chances and you play with the cards that are dealt in this case you have to wait a few days for your cards to be shipped.

You are not entitled to free digital copy because Best Buy is waiting to ship the product. That is not anyone's fault I suggest you take your issue up with best buy. Maybe next time dont preorder with best buy. They won't change their policy if they start losing money.

Not really sure where people think they are entitled to free stuff just because they are a customer. I work in the service industry. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is for almost every single customer to walk in and ask for a discount just because they showed up that day "hey im here where's my discount." "sir do you have a coupon or discount card, no then sorry but you dont receive a discount"

Free? He purchased the game god forbid he wants to play it the day the servers open up. This is best buys fault sure but he's not asking for the game for free or a discount. Honestly the OP was far more polite than you are being.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Nobody is asking for free stuff. Getting a digital copy is not getting a copy free if you already own the ultimate edition.

Jesus Christ how dense some people are.

All anyone here is asking for is to be able to play the game we purchased on launch day. Is that so much to ask? Is that being entitled?

IGears
03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Free? He purchased the game god forbid he wants to play it the day the servers open up. This is best buys fault sure but he's not asking for the game for free or a discount.

but he was blaming Trion... Its always the retailer you should take your complaints to unless you are getting it directly from Trion.

IGears
03-29-2013, 05:48 PM
plus in the Live stream they said that the key for your edition is in the box so they cant just give you another code.

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
They're advertising as it coming out on the 2nd means I should be able to play on the 2nd. This is why many other companies give you a code on the receipt if you order a physical copy. Trion dropped the ball on this.

I've pre-ordered many physical game copes in the past and never had this issue because everyone else does things properly.

Trion dropped the ball because best buy screwed this guy over because they choose to send it out the days its released and not a day or two before..... How in the Sam hell is best buy policies Trion fault in any way shape or form.

If I order the new iPhone from Verizon I dont call up the local apple store and complain that im not getting my phone now and that they should give me a loaner phone until I receive my phone from Verizon.

Let me say this in a very simple way
BEST BUY IS SCREWING YOU OVER. TRION HAS SHIPPED PRODUCT TO THEM WHAT BEST BUY DOES WITH IT AFTER THAT IS NOT TRIONS FAULT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

You should be complaining to best buy customer service, not here complaining another retailer isn't giving you what you paid for.
See the way this works is Trion sells copies of the game to best buy, best buy then sells that game to you at a slight mark up.
How best buy chooses to distribute, sell, discount or market said game is up to them.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 05:50 PM
but he was blaming Trion... Its always the retailer you should take your complaints to unless you are getting it directly from Trion.

Trion needed to have made sure this problem wasn't going to happen. Arenanet managed it.

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 05:50 PM
This thread is still going strong I see. Even though there won't be a grace period.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Trion dropped the ball because best buy screwed this guy over because they choose to send it out the days its released and not a day or two before..... How in the Sam hell is best buy policies Trion fault in any way shape or form.

If I order the new iPhone from Verizon I dont call up the local apple store and complain that im not getting my phone now and that they should give me a loaner phone until I receive my phone from Verizon.

Let me say this in a very simple way
BEST BUY IS SCREWING YOU OVER. TRION HAS SHIPPED PRODUCT TO THEM WHAT BEST BUY DOES WITH IT AFTER THAT IS NOT TRIONS FAULT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

You should be complaining to best buy customer service, not here complaining another retailer isn't giving you what you paid for.
See the way this works is Trion sells copies of the game to best buy, best buy then sells that game to you at a slight mark up.
How best buy chooses to distribute, sell, discount or market said game is up to them.

Trion makes sure the retailers are giving out codes with the purchases.

Night Hawke
03-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Trion needed to have made sure this problem wasn't going to happen. Arenanet managed it.

every single mmo in over a decade has managed it....

Newsin
03-29-2013, 05:52 PM

They can't offer you the ability to play if they dont get the OK to do so from TRION? Why is this so hard for you guys to understand. Again this is not new to the gaming industry for MMO type games. I dont get wtf this back and fourth banter is about with those of you "lucky" enough to play. Its simple, the game is due out on the 2nd those who digitally PRE ORDERED the game get to play starting at 9PM PST of the 1st. Those who ordered from a store are unable to play. If this was going to be the case then they should have actually taken the time to mention it to people WHEN THEY OPENED PRE ORDERS so people could have made educated decisions on where to Pre Order from instead of waiting until damn near the last few days before the game launches. This was horrible planning by Trion, this was an epic fail and a kick to the mouth to some of their fans. Steam for example... they announced Steam like 2 weeks before launch... This should have been stated WAY EARLIER. We aren't acting ENTITLED we bought the game just like you and everyone else did. The difference is where we pre-ordered. They offered Game Stop and Exclusive Delux edition for like 150.00 only place that had it I believe... yet they couldnt have managed to make a deal with them so we could get in earlier? Give me a break.

Anyway. I got 2 responses from Trion

From Sledgehammer on Twitter. "You will have to wait until you get your physical copy of the game before you can play"

From one of the CS's. http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/751535592.jpg

Its the principle. Enough said. Period.

Its bad enough they cant manage to keep the CS's on the same page. Its just making it worse.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 05:53 PM
This thread is still going strong I see. Even though there won't be a grace period.

There's a whole lot of people that seem to be pleased about us UE pre-order people not getting to play on launch.

IGears
03-29-2013, 05:53 PM

so Trion is suppose to be responsible for a retailer, after Trion distributed the game to them, getting a game to you?

meancookie
03-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Nope, you just get to wait an extra 10 days unless you want to pick up a standard copy on the 2nd.

...or like me got Amazon to accept a used Standard Edition back as a return :D

I had a guy from amazon agree to the same thing last night but when I checked back today they are sticking to the usual policy and will not accept the SE copy back as a return. It makes sense really as you will be using the code to assign to your account and they would need to re-sell as used so why should they pay for the manufacturer's failure to distribute?
I would ask again if I were you whilst you have time to cancel and I hope you at least have a copy of the transcript otherwise you ain't going to get your money back.

iiReLaX o
03-29-2013, 05:56 PM
There's a whole lot of people that seem to be pleased about us UE pre-order people not getting to play on launch.

Are you saying I am happy?

I probably won't be getting my copy of Defiance on RD if GameStop doesn't ship it soon.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 05:56 PM
so Trion is suppose to be responsible for a retailer, after Trion distributed the game to them, getting a game to you?

This is completely different than GameStop not shipping out my copy or something. Trion needs to make sure ALL pre-order customers are able to pre-load and play on launch day.

Like someone else said, every single other MMO in the last decade has managed to do this.

Newsin
03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
This is completely different than GameStop not shipping out my copy or something. Trion needs to make sure ALL pre-order customers are able to pre-load and play on launch day.

Like someone else said, every single other MMO in the last decade has managed to do this.

Dont worry there are some of us who ordered the Collectors edition UNABLE to do so as well.

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Nobody is asking for free stuff. Getting a digital copy is not getting a copy free if you already own the ultimate edition.

Jesus Christ how dense some people are.

All anyone here is asking for is to be able to play the game we purchased on launch day. Is that so much to ask? Is that being entitled?

Yes it is. So because he purchased a physical copy from best buy, BEST BUY. He is on the Trion forums asking for a digital copy. So he can play the day it comes out. He didn't purchase a physical copy and digital copy edition. He order physical only. The place he ordered from is preventing that not Trion. This is a Best Buy problem and not a Trion problem. He should be taking his issue up with best buy.

"Hey I bought the game from gamestop since they dont have it stream should give me a digital copy." kind of some insane logic there.
I ordered for best buy, I gave best buy my money, best buy isn't giving me my copy of the game early enough for me, Trion you owe me a digital copy..... REALLY?

IGears
03-29-2013, 06:06 PM

i still dont understand your logic at all. IM getting it for PC as well from gamestop.... i not sure if my gamestop is having a midnight release... if they dont, i wont be getting my copy untill i get off work at 6pm est on tuesday. so chances are you will get the game before me..... but im not complaining about this grace crap.... what difference does it make if you dont play it at exactally the same time as everyone else.....

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 06:09 PM
i still dont understand your logic at all. IM getting it for PC at well from gamestop.... i not sure if my gamestop is having a midnight release... if they dont, i wont be getting my copy untill i get off work at 6pm est on tuesday. so chances are you will get the game before me..... but im not complaining about this grace crap.... what difference does it make if you dont play it at exactally the same time as everyone else.....

It's this simple. We bought the game, we expect to be able to play as soon as the servers come up.

All other MMO pre-orders will give you a CD key that you can enter to have access to the game. The fact that GameStop doesn't have these codes is 100% Trion's fault.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes it is. So because he purchased a physical copy from best buy, BEST BUY. He is on the Trion forums asking for a digital copy. So he can play the day it comes out. He didn't purchase a physical copy and digital copy edition. He order physical only. The place he ordered from is preventing that not Trion. This is a Best Buy problem and not a Trion problem. He should be taking his issue up with best buy.

"Hey I bought the game from gamestop since they dont have it stream should give me a digital copy." kind of some insane logic there.
I ordered for best buy, I gave best buy my money, best buy isn't giving me my copy of the game early enough for me, Trion you owe me a digital copy..... REALLY?

It's the same ****ing copy that we get with the ultimate edition. It's the same copy that we get when we are able to enter the code that will come with the UE. All we want is to be able to pre-load and play the game on launch. Why are you SO against that?

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 06:10 PM
How retailers choose to distribute the products is not Trion fault. If Trion had promised a free digital copy with every preorder it would be a Trion problem at that point. They didn't is Trion in anyway preventing op from receiving his copy. No best buy is. Trion is in no way responsible for best buy distribution practices. Will he receive what he ordered yep. Does best buy have the ability to give him his copy sooner, yep. Are they choosing to make him wait for what he paid for, yep. Is that Trion's fault, nope.

Mindfix
03-29-2013, 06:11 PM

If this is like most mmos he pretty much just needs the key and after that he can download the game client from trion's site just like everyone else, so a digital copy will not be a free copy of the game. Stop trying to make it sound like he's asking for something for nothing.

That said what's a few days more, mine is most likely going to be late from gamestop but doesn't really bother me.

One thing to take from this is don't preorder from Best Buy. :)

Newsin
03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
i still dont understand your logic at all. IM getting it for PC at well from gamestop.... i not sure if my gamestop is having a midnight release... if they dont, i wont be getting my copy untill i get off work at 6pm est on tuesday. so chances are you will get the game before me..... but im not complaining about this grace crap.... what difference does it make if you dont play it at exactally the same time as everyone else.....

There are a few. 1. Account Names 2. Character Names 3. Clan Names. Those 3 for me are reason enough. On top of again Principle. Sounds to me like you dont care because you work the next day anyway and wont be able to play.. some of us work from home or took days off because we heard we could get in on the first Prior to finding out all this extra crap. So we could get in and solidify our accounts. Just because you dont care doesn't mean others dont.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 06:14 PM
If this is like most mmos he pretty much just needs the key and after that he can download the game client from trion's site just like everyone else, so a digital copy will not be a free copy of the game. Stop trying to make it sound like he's asking for something for nothing.

That said what's a few days more, mine is most likely going to be late from gamestop but doesn't really bother me.

One thing to take from this is don't preorder from Best Buy. :)

This. This here.

Also this:

There are a few. 1. Account Names 2. Character Names 3. Clan Names. Those 3 for me are reason enough. On top of again Principle. Sounds to me like you dont care because you work the next day anyway and wont be able to play.. some of us work from home or took days off because we heard we could get in on the first Prior to finding out all this extra crap. So we could get in and solidify our accounts. Just because you dont care doesn't mean others dont.

Payback
WOW this is a pretty pathetic topic I would love if the Mods removed it.
Guess what? I ordered the collectors edition and probably won't get it for a day or two... Big whoop! It told me that when I placed the order... It's called "estimated arrival" so the idea that your own ignorance constitutes Trion needing to give you some sort of early special access because a bunch of idiots might leave your clan because you can't play with them at the beginning is absolutely ridiculous! You might want to find people to play with that are more mature and loyal

Derity
It's not Trions fault, it is Best Buys fault.

Cancel your pre-order and order from somewhere better, its that simple.

I got my copy yesterday.

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 06:15 PM
It's the same ****ing copy that we get with the ultimate edition. It's the same copy that we get when we are able to enter the code that will come with the UE. All we want is to be able to pre-load and play the game on launch. Why are you SO against that?

Bescause what's stopping people if they get a digital copy cause trust me you won't be happy if you dont get all your little pre-order goodies (all the digital stuff, exp bonus, dodge car, your gun and armor) so what they will have to give you a free copy of all that so you can play with all that ya paid for. What under the impression you won't hit eBay when ya get your physical copy? Cause you tell me how Trion is supposed to know what codes your going to receive in your physical copy.
To much hassle to much risk just because a third party is screwing the op over. Wait for your physical copy and learn your lesson. If ya haven't figured it out by now here let me spell it out for you. DONT PRE-ORDER FROM BEST BUY NEXT TIME!
Best Buy has the copies of the game by this point because they are choosing to not distribute those to the customers is their choice and responsibility. Not Trions

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 06:15 PM
WOW this is a pretty pathetic topic I would love if the Mods removed it.
Guess what? I ordered the collectors edition and probably won't get it for a day or two... Big whoop! It told me that when I placed the order... It's called "estimated arrival" so the idea that your own ignorance constitutes Trion needing to give you some sort of early special access because a bunch of idiots might leave your clan because you can't play with them at the beginning is absolutely ridiculous! You might want to find people to play with that are more mature and loyal

It's not special treatment. Are you kidding!? Nobody is asking for EARLY ACCESS. We're asking for ACCESS ON LAUNCH DAY.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Bescause what's stopping people if they get a digital copy cause trust me you won't be happy if you dont get all your little pre-order goodies (all the digital stuff, exp bonus, dodge car, your gun and armor) so what they will have to give you a free copy of all that so you can play with all that ya paid for. What under the impression you won't hit eBay when ya get your physical copy? Cause you tell me how Trion is supposed to know what codes your going to receive in your physical copy.
To much hassle to much risk just because a third party is screwing the op over. Wait for your physical copy and learn your lesson. If ya haven't figured it out by now here let me spell it out for you. DONT PRE-ORDER FROM BEST BUY NEXT TIME!

The only lesson here is this: Do not pre-order physical copies if Trion is involved. They should have been making sure the retailers had codes to give out at the moment of purchase, just like every other MMO released in the last decade.

Strontium Dog
03-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Love all the newbie MMO players here lol. Every MMO in the last 10 years or so has givene a grace period to enter your cd key. Sometimes 24 hours, sometimes 3 days. Its still failry new having digital downloads as such ( in relation to the whole time period of mmos).

So in the previous years when MMOs were released most if not all copies were hard and in boxes, thus developers gave grace periods.

Why does it affect the digital down loaders if we get a grace period? Considering we have entered pre order codes ,Trion know who has boxes coming.

But then we only paid more for what we are waiting for and perhaps the digital download camp have Hellbug statue envy :p

gjwhite66
03-29-2013, 06:20 PM
I am curious as to the age range of the OP. This argument sad, almost to the point of pathetic. It sucks not being able to play the game you paid for at launch, but you are by far not the first this has happened to. You didn't have to do research on this game, every item that has a street release date doesn't ship until that date. Because distributing them out early is a huge violation of commerce laws. For the poster who was trying to get their Gamestop to give it to him when they closed, whomever was stupid enough to do that would be fired, even if it were the manager. How a preorder works in a store is that they do a return, and then repurchase of the retail edition. You even get a new receipt. You don't just show them your preorder receipt and they give you the game, it has never worked like that. Retailers have gotten to the point where their register systems won't even accept the sale of a game before its release date. Literally, a big red box pops up on the screen saying the cashier is in violation. It's not a laughing matter. All a preorder guarantees you is that you get a game when you come into the store, or a game will be shipped to you if you ordered online. That would be the case whether you purchased the standard edition at $60, or the Ultimate Edition for $150. No one has cancelled your order. You will still get it.

However, what bugs me even more about the OP after reading the transcript, was that the CS did think she had a solution for you. Had you ordered directly from Trion and they messed up, it seems that she may have actually been able to get you a grace period. She can't, however, account for the policies of a third party company. That's what she said multiple times. And as others have said, Trion can't just give you free access to the game. So what if you photo-copied your receipt. How do they know that wasn't your friend's receipt? Because they can "trust you"? What would stop you from returning your original order as soon as they gave you access? You would have yourself a free game, that simple.
Another poster even offered a great solution. Buy the digital normal edition so you can play on release. When your Ultimate edition arrives, give the game to a friend, I'm sure they would appreciate that. Or if you don't want to give something away for free - funny, since that is exactly what you are asking Trion to do for you - sell the unopened game on EBay. I'm sure someone will buy it from you.
But wait, that means they have to wait until you ship the game to them, even though they've already paid you for it....

IGears
03-29-2013, 06:24 PM

if you're really afraid someone will take your account name, clan name, character name... then it wasnt unique to begin with. and im not too concerned about playing when everyone else is if that me not caring then OK

i understand the principle of it but like i said before, Trion doesnt not have your codes for your edition, the retailer do in the box, Sledge show it on the livestream. all that the code that you type in with the pre order was to show that you pre order the game and to give you a beta invite......what then stops you for cancelling your pre order.... i changed mine and they game me a separate code...

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 06:26 PM
I am curious as to the age range of the OP. This argument sad, almost to the point of pathetic. It sucks not being able to play the game you paid for at launch, but you are by far not the first this has happened to. You didn't have to do research on this game, every item that has a street release date doesn't ship until that date. Because distributing them out early is a huge violation of commerce laws. For the poster who was trying to get their Gamestop to give it to him when they closed, whomever was stupid enough to do that would be fired, even if it were the manager. How a preorder works in a store is that they do a return, and then repurchase of the retail edition. You even get a new receipt. You don't just show them your preorder receipt and they give you the game, it has never worked like that. Retailers have gotten to the point where their register systems won't even accept the sale of a game before its release date. Literally, a big red box pops up on the screen saying the cashier is in violation. It's not a laughing matter. All a preorder guarantees you is that you get a game when you come into the store, or a game will be shipped to you if you ordered online. That would be the case whether you purchased the standard edition at $60, or the Ultimate Edition for $150. No one has cancelled your order. You will still get it.

However, what bugs me even more about the OP after reading the transcript, was that the CS did think she had a solution for you. Had you ordered directly from Trion and they messed up, it seems that she may have actually been able to get you a grace period. She can't, however, account for the policies of a third party company. That's what she said multiple times. And as others have said, Trion can't just give you free access to the game. So what if you photo-copied your receipt. How do they know that wasn't your friend's receipt? Because they can "trust you"? What would stop you from returning your original order as soon as they gave you access? You would have yourself a free game, that simple.
Another poster even offered a great solution. Buy the digital normal edition so you can play on release. When your Ultimate edition arrives, give the game to a friend, I'm sure they would appreciate that. Or if you don't want to give something away for free - funny, since that is exactly what you are asking Trion to do for you - sell the unopened game on EBay. I'm sure someone will buy it from you.
But wait, that means they have to wait until you ship the game to them, even though they've already paid you for it....

Nobody has asked for a free game. I've already given out a copy of the game to a clan member, bought myself the ultimate edition, I don't want to buy ANOTHER copy.

Yes there are issues with trion trusting people to give legitimate receipt scans, that's understandable. I don't expect them to do that anymore.

My entire argument has been that Trion ****ed up by not making sure retailers had codes to give out at purchase for people to add the game to their account. This is what Guild Wars 2 did (and tons of other MMOs) and it works perfectly.

Because of Trion's lack of foresight, it's possible some of us may miss out on days of play time.

gjwhite66
03-29-2013, 06:43 PM
My entire argument has been that Trion ****ed up by not making sure retailers had codes to give out at purchase for people to add the game to their account. This is what Guild Wars 2 did (and tons of other MMOs) and it works perfectly.

Because of Trion's lack of foresight, it's possible some of us may miss out on days of play time.

What you're missing is people saying that Trion may not have dropped the ball on this. There are plenty of people who have said they are not only getting their orders on the 2nd, but some have gotten it early. One guy here even took photos of the game and everything that came in the box, proving it came early. I find it more likely that the retailer made the mistake than the developer. Because what benefit would there be to Trion giving the code to some retailers, but not others? I'm not new to MMOs or preordering them, I know you get access codes from retailers to get into the game, a lot of times it's an email you receive. I know some games even allowed you to reserve names for characters and guilds (not sure if that still happens). But it seems to me that Best Buy is the one who screwed up. Again, there are people who have said they are getting their stuff on time, and have already received their download codes. So it seems as though Trion upheld their part of the bargain.
I do offer you another solution - why not have your second-in-command start up the Guild once the servers go live? That way, you don't have to worry about losing the name, people still can generate clan EGO, and things will run as planned until you get online. I won't assume that there will be a way to transfer leadership in this game, but this has been possible in every other game I've seen that allows someone to start a group.

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Nobody has asked for a free game. I've already given out a copy of the game to a clan member, bought myself the ultimate edition, I don't want to buy ANOTHER copy.

Yes there are issues with trion trusting people to give legitimate receipt scans, that's understandable. I don't expect them to do that anymore.

Yep because a retailer messed up its Trions fault for lack of foresight. I totally see your point now.
Next time I order a burger from burger king and it give me food poisoning I'll ask the distributor of the meat patties for my money back because they should have to foresight burger king would improperly cook them. It totally makes sense now.

I once was blind but now I see!..../end sarcasm

One thing im greatful for won't be running into you for a couple days after launch.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Yep because a retailer messed up its Trions fault for lack of foresight. I totally see your point now.
Next time I order a burger from burger king and it give me food poisoning I'll ask the distributor of the meat patties for my money back because they should have to foresight burger king would improperly cook them. It totally makes sense now.

I once was blind but now I see!..../end sarcasm

One thing im greatful for won't be running into you for a couple days after launch.

You're really very dense, and your comparison is hilariously wrong. The retailer can only give out what Trion gives them. The guy at Gamestop told me that they don't have codes to give out to people. Maybe Trion set up the whole process so that we're supposed to get the keys at purchase but for whatever reason they messed up.

Trion didn't, at the very least, give my store any CD keys to hand out at purchase. I've preordered dozens of games in the past from Gamestop that came with CD keys on the receipt. I don't think Gamestop is suddenly screwing up on this.

IGears
03-29-2013, 07:30 PM
You're really very dense, and your comparison is hilariously wrong. The retailer can only give out what Trion gives them. The guy at Gamestop told me that they don't have codes to give out to people. Maybe Trion set up the whole process so that we're supposed to get the keys at purchase but for whatever reason they messed up.

Trion didn't, at the very least, give my store any CD keys to hand out at purchase. I've preordered dozens of games in the past from Gamestop that came with CD keys on the receipt. I don't think Gamestop is suddenly screwing up on this.

well it something you have to live with i guess then, If Trion has did this before with Rift then it must be a reason why they are not doing it now...i dont know it may be just because of the whole console thing that the keys are not on the receipts... but seriously whats stopping you for canceling your pre order once you have the CD key?

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 07:34 PM
well it something you have to live with i guess then, If Trion has did this before with Rift then it must be a reason why they are not doing it now...i dont know it may be just because of the whole console thing that the keys are not on the receipts... but seriously whats stopping you for canceling your pre order once you have the CD key?

Then Trion needed to have included our key on the receipt, like any other professional company does. This eliminates all problems. Probably why everyone else does it. That is what I'm talking about when I say Trion's lack of foresight. They didn't handle this release properly, and I end up getting screwed because I decided to give Trion more money. Whether you think it's Gamestop's fault or not is irrelevant. Trion has an obligation to make sure people that pre-ordered are able to play on the launch day.

Valethar
03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
They didn't give you the actual retail key on that receipt. It was a pre-order key that let them know you placed an order, which allowed you to get certain benefits.

There's no way you ever got the actual product key for a physical product on a reciept. It's impossible, because that key is located in the box, and they have no way of knowing what it is.

Ragna
03-29-2013, 07:40 PM
So a guy walks into a bar....
That's all I got.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 07:40 PM
They didn't give you the actual retail key on that receipt. It was a pre-order key that let them know you placed an order, which allowed you to get certain benefits.

There's no way you ever got the actual product key for a physical product on a reciept. It's impossible, because that key is located in the box, and they have no way of knowing what it is.

Er, with Guild Wars 2 my receipt had a key to enter on the website which added the game to my account. Later when the game released I was able to just go in and grab my collector's edition box.

Shizno
03-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Er, with Guild Wars 2 my receipt had a key to enter on the website which added the game to my account. Later when the game released I was able to just go in and grab my collector's edition box.

yea I remember that, they gave us next to nothing on those codes,over 20 pre orders for the ce and only 5 of those codes to hand out,that didn't work out so well for others, its a neat idea but at the same time if I just want a code I might as well order online then

Mina
03-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Sure am glad I am paying $149.99 to play the day after launch rather than when I should be able to.

IGears
03-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Then Trion needed to have included our key on the receipt, like any other professional company does. This eliminates all problems. Probably why everyone else does it. That is what I'm talking about when I say Trion's lack of foresight. They didn't handle this release properly, and I end up getting screwed because I decided to give Trion more money. Whether you think it's Gamestop's fault or not is irrelevant. Trion has an obligation to make sure people that pre-ordered are able to play on the launch day.

did you read what i said?... or what anyone else said?...

Trion sold the games to Gamestop... Gamestop then sells it to you. if Trion didnt want to include a Key on the receipt for physical copies then it a reason for it... and if something is slow getting to you from gamestop then why is it Trion's fault. Pre-ordering is only reserving yourself a copy of the game but the quickest way to play any game now is getting it digitally... But you want the UE game that is only sold through gamestop.. so you are at the mercy of gamestop just like everyone else who getting it.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 07:57 PM
did you read what i said?... or what anyone else said?...

Trion sold the games to Gamestop... Gamestop then sells it to you. if Trion didnt want to include a Key on the receipt for physical copies then it a reason for it... and if something is slow getting to you from gamestop then why is it Trion's fault. Pre-ordering is only reserving yourself a copy of the game but the quickest way to play any game now is getting it digitally... But you want the UE game that is only sold through gamestop.. so you are at the mercy of gamestop just like everyone else who getting it.

You're not reading what I'm saying. There's zero reason to wait to play if you ordered a physical edition. Like ALL the other MMO releases before Defiance they should have been giving us a product code on the receipt.

Trion should have given access to everyone. Putting the key on the receipt is standard practice. I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

Night Hawke
03-29-2013, 07:58 PM
ok there seems to be some confusion on how grace periods work.

first you pre-order they give you a key to register with the company, this gives you the bonuses and in every mmo i've ever played but this one it also gives you a grace period of 1-3 days to play at launch. At the end of this period (1-3 days) your access to the game ends. You must enter the code from your retail copy of the game to resume playing.

So if you cancel your preorder you can't continue, if you sell it on ebay you cant continue.

The main purpose of this is because with time zone's and what not a hard release date is problematic for these types of games. Like in this instance they are launching 12am EST but servers will turn on 9pm on the 1st on the west coast. With out a grace period these people must wait with it everyone that paid money for the game gets to start at the same time regardless of when store's open or when boxes ship or even if there is a ups strike....

This is a standard in the mmo world.

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Dense yet you here saying its Trions fault because you didn't get a code when ya pre-ordered. Yet you pre-ordered got the receipt. Failed to see the code on there didn't think anything of it at the time cause your all no biggie get my game on the 2nd and everything is good. Only to find out later your going to have to wait a bit to get what ya ordered do to some unforeseen circumstance. Now your here blaming Trion for their lack of foresight (which you would share by that logic for not seeing something might happen to delay your copy of the game and lack of code and still going along with it until something went wrong)
So basically something effected your ability to play (best buy) now your here whining "why didn't Trion give me a code so I could download my game, they suck for best buys mistake"

When it boils down to it Best Buy HAS your game now, they refuse to give it to you until later.
Sounds again like and problem between you and best buy, not Trion.
If Trion is at fault for not giving you a code your as much at fault for purchasing it that way.
You say your receipt lacked said code and you didn't cancel right then and preorder someplace else. You took the chance it backfired now your here whining.

Shizno
03-29-2013, 08:01 PM
You're not reading what I'm saying. There's zero reason to wait to play if you ordered a physical edition. Like ALL the other MMO releases before Defiance they should have been giving us a product code on the receipt.

Trion should have given access to everyone. Putting the key on the receipt is standard practice. I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

who else does this? please tell me, all of the mmos I have sold in the last five years never had this aside from guild wars 2 that was it, also whats to stop you from pre ordering and getting the code and then just leaving your pre order for a couple of weeks and walk in and go "oh yea can I just cancel that"

Valethar
03-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Actually, it's not. I've been playing MMO's since the genre started, and I've never gotten my CD key for the actual game on a receipt. The best I've ever gotten was a pre-order key that may or may not (depending on the company at the time) allow me to play for a few days while waiting on the box. I still had to enter the CD key that was inside the box to continue playing.

IGears
03-29-2013, 08:07 PM
who else does this? please tell me, all of the mmos I have sold in the last five years never had this aside from guild wars 2 that was it, also whats to stop you from pre ordering and getting the code and then just leaving your pre order for a couple of weeks and walk in and go "oh yea can I just cancel that"

i dont know, he think that its mandatory for a mmo company to give grace periods. when im telling him that it must be a reason for it. im surprise anybody does it especially a mmo that doesnt have a subscription behind it.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Actually, it's not. I've been playing MMO's since the genre started, and I've never gotten my CD key for the actual game on a receipt. The best I've ever gotten was a pre-order key that may or may not (depending on the company at the time) allow me to play for a few days while waiting on the box. I still had to enter the CD key that was inside the box to continue playing.

Maybe they were grace period keys for other games, but Guild Wars 2 definitely did it the way I described. Regardless, people need to read the explanation of grace periods on the page before this one. Everyone seems to think asking for a grace period is asking for a free game.

I can't believe the kind of flak I'm receiving for wanting to be able to play the game on release. It is always the studio/publishers responsibility to ensure that the customers have access to their products. If the retailer screws up (which did not happen in this case) the publisher needs to have some way to help the customer out. Trion basically told me "Sorry nothing we can do! You need to wait! Thanks for the $150."

augustgrace
03-29-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm used to Trion being a company that goes above and beyond industry standards in quality and content pacing, so it's pretty stunning that they are breaking industry standards again yet this time in the wrong direction.

In over 12 years of playing mmorpg launches, this would be the first time I can remember a game with a physical product not offering a 24-72 hour grace period. Why the change? Did SyFy make this call?

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Here is the one thing everyone fails to mention about these grace period. They are announced prior to preorders going on sale.
Was a grace period announced for this game, nope not once. People still expect to get it because other companies have done it before.
If that is not text book definition of entitlement issues I dont know what is.
This person gave me this benefit once everyone should.
Grow up NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING.
Your going to get your game and all your extras its going to be a bit late but deal with it you choose to preorder a game without a grace period now its gone bad and your complaining.

Arsenic_Touch
03-29-2013, 08:13 PM

I'm left scratching my head because I have never seen a cd key on a receipt, it's always been the idea behind digital orders, so you have it right at launch, where people suddenly got the idea that they were entitled to jump right into the game without even having it in their possession is just beyond me.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Here is the one thing everyone fails to mention about these grace period. They are announced prior to preorders going on sale.
Was a grace period announced for this game, nope not once. People still expect to get it because other companies have done it before.
Your going to get your game and all your extras its going to be a bit late but deal with it you choose to preorder a game without a grace period now its gone bad and your complaining.

Well it's clear you don't know what entitlement is.

And no most games do not say they're having a grace period if you pre-order. Some times they say "Pre-order and get early access!" but that is NOT a grace period.

You do not know what a grace period is.

Anyways I'm done now, this is a really stupid argument.

Some of us believe Trion should help everyone that pre-ordered the game be able to play on release. Some people are happy about the idea that they get to play while others wait. You can't talk to people that think that way.

IGears
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
maybe the amount of people Pirating games kind of changes the way Trion distributes it... like i said, this game has no subscription, so how can you be sure that everyone that is playing your game and taxing your servers actually own the game?

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM

And no most games do not say they're having a grace period if you pre-order. Some times they say "Pre-order and get early access!" but that is NOT a grace period.

a period of time you can play the game without receiving the actualy product. Yeah got the concept down its not hard.
Did you see the code on your receipt, did you even ask if it had a grace period did you even give one shread of thought about it until you found our you had to wait.
You have mentioned several time "guild wars 2 did" "guild wars 2" ...is this guild wars, same publisher, same studio? No
Did Star Wars the old republic do it....nope but ya keep saying every mmo....star wars didn't. No that is a choice by the company Trion chose not to. You still chose to preorder. Looks like ya knew what you were getting into and still chose to proceed.
DEAL WITH IT.
You feel they should have because other companies have before aka guild wars, you feel entitled to a grace period. There isn't one deal with it and stop whining like a child who didn't get his way.

killerP
03-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Stop whining about your own mistake. Most retailers that I have dealt always say on the order page will ship on usually date of release. If you can't read thats not the developers fault. Should have chosen store pickup.

Anyways I'm done now, this is a really stupid argument.

Some of us believe Trion should help everyone that pre-ordered the game be able to play on release. Some people are happy about the idea that they get to play while others wait. You can't talk to people that think that way.

Mina
03-29-2013, 08:25 PM

It was also not announced that it would be launching at 9pm PST. Had I known that I would've probably opted in for the digital instead. Grow up and stop telling people to grow up.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Stop whining about your own mistake. Most retailers that I have dealt always say on the order page will ship on usually date of release. If you can't read thats not the developers fault. Should have chosen store pickup.

My own mistake? You mean buying the ultimate edition? Was that a mistake?

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 08:33 PM
It was also not announced that it would be launching at 9pm PST. Had I known that I would've probably opted in for the digital instead. Grow up and stop telling people to grow up.

well that's how mmos are when they turn the servers on they dont do it by time zone. They do it by region. You can't only turn on the server to parts of the country at a time. I can't think of a single mmo that turned on the east coast and left the west coast offline. Until 12am when the game is released there.

Mina
03-29-2013, 08:35 PM
well that's how mmos are when they turn the servers on they dont do it by time zone. They do it by region. You can't only turn on the server to parts of the country at a time. I can't think of a single mmo that turned on the east coast and left the west coast offline. Until 12am when the game is released there.

It's not about time zones, stores don't open until 10am, why am I paying extra to play later than everyone else?

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 08:39 PM
It's not about time zones, stores don't open until 10am, why am I paying extra to play later than everyone else?

At least your store has copies. Gamestop just informed me that they aren't allowed to start shipping the games until the day of release. (That's a Trion call, btw) I'll be lucky if I can play 3 days after the release.

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 08:39 PM
My own mistake? You mean buying the ultimate edition? Was that a mistake?

Sound like it. If ya would have picked up at the store ya could be playing on April 2nd you chose shipping and it backfired. Deal with it.
You chose the route you took. No one else you made that choice.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Sound like it. If ya would have picked up at the store ya could be playing on April 2nd you chose shipping and it backfired. Deal with it.
You chose the route you took. No one else you made that choice.

None of the stores near me had physical editions I could pick up in the store. :) My only options for buying the Ultimate Edition were ordering it to be shipped. **** me right?!

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 08:42 PM

yep and they can't leave the east coast not playing because the west coast stores aren't open the servers are either on or not ya can't separate. Yes the east coast is going to have a 3hr Headstart but its like that with every single mmo and expansion ever released. Its not new. If you had been playing mmos for any length of time you know they have a head start on you.

Merkery N16
03-29-2013, 08:43 PM

well it sort of is and it isnt i mean when planning your release date, you should take into effect things like public holidays

since its Easter Trion need to think, What would jesus do?

Mina
03-29-2013, 08:44 PM
yep and they can't leave the east coast not playing because the west coast stores aren't open the servers are either on or not ya can't separate. Yes the east coast is going to have a 3hr Headstart but its like that with every single mmo and expansion ever released. Its not new. If you had been playing mmos for any length of time you know they have a head start on you.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I'm not complaining about a 3 hour head start, I'm complaining about a 14 hour head start.

Merkery N16
03-29-2013, 08:44 PM
see for me for a change its nice cause i get to sit back and just wait for the servers to go online as i got it 6 days early however yea in any game launch europe usually get it first and the rest follows

i do feel your guys pain

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 08:48 PM
None of the stores near me had physical editions I could pick up in the store. :) My only options for buying the Ultimate Edition were ordering it to be shipped. **** me right?!

How long ago did you pre-order? Days, weeks, months ago?

Newsin
03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
if you're really afraid someone will take your account name, clan name, character name... then it wasnt unique to begin with. and im not too concerned about playing when everyone else is if that me not caring then OK

i understand the principle of it but like i said before, Trion doesnt not have your codes for your edition, the retailer do in the box, Sledge show it on the livestream. all that the code that you type in with the pre order was to show that you pre order the game and to give you a beta invite......what then stops you for cancelling your pre order.... i changed mine and they game me a separate code...

Omg, you are not listening to anything people are saying lol. We are not asking for our retail CODE we are asking for a GRACE period. 2 different things completely. Grace Period = 24 - 72 hours without RETAIL code to play for those who have pre-ordered the game all you need is a pre order code, which we all got when we ordered the game. That's how we register all the fancy in game items we got to our account. After that time is up they shut down those accounts until they have entered their official retail key. Thats how it works. Its really simple. Its also very common.

Anyone asking for a RETAIL code prior to getting the game is daft. Again 2 different things.

As for why I personally want to reserve my name? I was in Alpha and I had gotten a couple of comments on how cool my names were. I can see people taking them because they liked the names. That simple.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 08:51 PM
How long ago did you pre-order? Days, weeks, months ago?

It was the same answer when I asked them about 3 weeks ago, and then a week ago, and then again 2 days ago when I finally got sick of looking around for a copy I could pick up and just ordered it.

IGears
03-29-2013, 08:52 PM
well it sort of is and it isnt i mean when planning your release date, you should take into effect things like public holidays

since its Easter Trion need to think, What would jesus do?

really? you gonna use Jesus in this.... What does Easter have to do with retailers shipping games... some people got their game early.. and other retailers ship their games the day of releases..which is Tuesday, that's not a Holiday

Cryptor
03-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Whatever the reason is why I can;t et my game in time, I really hope they will offer a one day grace period.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Omg, you are not listening to anything people are saying lol. We are not asking for our retail CODE we are asking for a GRACE period. 2 different things completely. Grace Period = 24 - 72 hours without RETAIL code to play for those who have pre-ordered the game all you need is a pre order code, which we all got when we ordered the game. That's how we register all the fancy in game items we got to our account. After that time is up they shut down those accounts until they have entered their official retail key. Thats how it works. Its really simple. Its also very common.

Anyone asking for a RETAIL code prior to getting the game is daft. Again 2 different things.

As for why I personally want to reserve my name? I was in Alpha and I had gotten a couple of comments on how cool my names were. I can see people taking them because they liked the names. That simple.

Yup this here. A grace period would let us play the game for a few days and then our accounts would become inactive until we entered our product keys. That would solve ALL problems.

Nobody would be able to get a free game out of a grace period.

Newsin
03-29-2013, 08:56 PM
i dont know, he think that its mandatory for a mmo company to give grace periods. when im telling him that it must be a reason for it. im surprise anybody does it especially a mmo that doesnt have a subscription behind it.

I can answer this! Got one with SWTOR, Got one with STO, Got one with GW2, Got one with Aion... Most people who pre order actually get early game access... Why they didnt do this is beyond me... pretty stupid actually.

Also most games release at 12am PST and dont change their vendors last minute like they did with steam oh and they also dont announce they are launching in some areas on the 1st like on the west coast.

IGears
03-29-2013, 08:56 PM
It was the same answer when I asked them about 3 weeks ago, and then a week ago, and then again 2 days ago when I finally got sick of looking around for a copy I could pick up and just ordered it.

I learn this along time ago with Collector edition or Special edition of any game, and that is to pre-order it as soon as they announce it, then cancel it if you change your mind later.

IGears
03-29-2013, 08:59 PM
I can answer this! Got one with SWTOR, Got one with STO, Got one with GW2, Got one with Aion... Most people who pre order actually get early game access... Why they didnt do this is beyond me... pretty stupid actually.

Most games have it but not this one.. why do you assume this for every game?

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 09:01 PM
I learn this along time ago with Collector edition or Special edition of any game, and that is to pre-order it as soon as they announce it, then cancel it if you change your mind later.

Unfortunately with how Trion has been advertising, I only learned about this game around 5 weeks ago.

Newsin
03-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Most games have it but not this one.. why do you assume this for every game? Why would you not do it? .... I can see I would have to sit here for hours arguing with you about this... its not worth my time or yours.. lets just agree to disagree.

IGears
03-29-2013, 09:02 PM
what about the fact of this Grace period that you get to play it for a few day and then before you get your copy, you decide to cancel the order... who willing to take that loss?

IGears
03-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Why would you not do it? .... I can see I would have to sit here for hours arguing with you about this... its not worth my time or yours.. lets just agree to disagree.

it because everyone expects everything and when you dont get it, you just complain until you do... i hope you dont do this with everything you do in real life.

but its like: "closed mouths doesn't get feed"

Newsin
03-29-2013, 09:10 PM
what about the fact of this Grace period that you get to play it for a few day and then before you get your copy, you decide to cancel the order... who willing to take that loss?

OK LAST TIME... lol.

Most people give Grace Period and it works like this.

Step 1: You get the game from the store or online vendor.
Step 2: You get a receipt that has a PRE REGISTRATION Code that lets defiance know you have Pre Ordered the game.
Step 3: You go home and you enter the code on the Receipt.
Step 4: Grace Period Kicks in on Pre Regestration Code the day of Release.
Step 5: You have a 1 - 3 day Grace Period in which you can play the game before they lock the account and you have to enter your Retail Key to get your account unlocked.
Step 6: You enter your Official Retail Key you get with box and you get to play again.

If you cancel your Pre Order then you dont get to play the game. Longer then the Grace Period of 1 - 3 days.

IGears
03-29-2013, 09:15 PM
OK LAST TIME... lol.

Step 2: You get a receipt that has a PRE REGISTRATION Code that lets defiance know you have Pre Ordered the game.
Step 5: You have a 1 - 3 day Grace Period in which you can play the game before they lock the account and you have to enter your Retail Key to get your account unlocked.
Step 6: You enter your Official Retail Key you get with box and you get to play again.

If you cancel your Pre Order then you dont get to play the game. Longer then the Grace Period of 1 - 3 days.

so someone can play a BUY TO PLAY game for free for a few days if this happens? Is that Fair or right?

Newsin
03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
so someone can play a BUY TO PLAY game for free for a few days if this happens? Is that Fair or right?

Its no different then a free trial. But again done talking about it with you.. Hope you have fun in game. I will have fun playing on the 2nd. Best wishes.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
so someone can play a BUY TO PLAY game for free for a few days if this happens?

Essentially, yes. Defiance already has a guest pass that allows people to play for a limited amount of time. What is the worst thing that can happen from a day or two of grace period? Nothing.

Buruko
03-29-2013, 09:21 PM
OK LAST TIME... lol.

That's great for PC users, what about Xbox or PS3? There is no download-able client to grant a 'grace period'. SO 2 out of there platforms get the shaft on grace period but cause you have a PC version you get a pass? Pffft. Never gonna happen, bad business all the way round.

Night Hawke
03-29-2013, 09:27 PM
That's great for PC users, what about Xbox or PS3? There is no download-able client to grant a 'grace period'. SO 2 out of there platforms get the shaft on grace period but cause you have a PC version you get a pass? Pffft. Never gonna happen, bad business all the way round.

they just had downloadable clients to Xbox and PS3 for the beta weekends. I would bet they use the same thing....

IGears
03-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Essentially, yes. Defiance already has a guest pass that allows people to play for a limited amount of time. What is the worst thing that can happen from a day or two of grace period? Nothing.

i just think it stupid...i dont see why any company would do it to begin with. i guess it really it just Grace. but it too little to late for this being a few day away..since its not going anywhere.... you are just screwed... sorry but at least it a few day max and not almost two weeks like in Europe. Grateful that you can buy it and play it when you get it...if you were dumb enough to take time off work, try to reschedule it. but now i just might cancel my pre-order just from this discussion... because everyone assumes things are entitled now. maybe that will help you get your copy quicker.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 09:32 PM
i just think it stupid...i dont see why any company would do it to begin with. i guess it really it just Grace. but it too little to late for this being a few day away..since its not going anywhere.... you are just screwed... sorry but at least it a few day max and not almost two weeks like in Europe. Grateful that you can buy it and play it when you get it...if you were dumb enough to take time off work, try to reschedule it. but now i just might cancel my pre-order just from this discussion... because everyone assumes things are entitled now. maybe that will help you get your copy quicker.

Sorry for thinking I'm entitled to play my purchased game the day it comes out. That is RIDICULOUS! And I work from home, and am able to set my own hours.

I do run a pretty large, very active clan though. It's fairly important that I'm on playing with them during release. That's not a HUGE issue, but it's a major inconvenience where there should be no inconvenience at all.

I love how you're so against a grace period, and why? It harms literally nobody.

IGears
03-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Sorry for thinking I'm entitled to play my purchased game the day it comes out. That is RIDICULOUS!

I love how you're so against a grace period, and why? It harms literally nobody.

yep its ridiculous, no one guarantees that you will get the physical copy on release day or how you get your key?

Mindfix
03-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Sorry for thinking I'm entitled to play my purchased game the day it comes out. That is RIDICULOUS! And I work from home, and am able to set my own hours.

I do run a pretty large, very active clan though. It's fairly important that I'm on playing with them during release. That's not a HUGE issue, but it's a major inconvenience where there should be no inconvenience at all.

I feel for ya bud but i would just stop they're just trolling you now.

IGears
03-29-2013, 09:44 PM
im not trolling at all.. look at what i found on Gamestop's website:

Street Date Guarantee:
Pre-order this title by 11am CST one business day before the release date posted, choose USA Overnight as your shipping option and get guaranteed delivery on the street date posted! If your product does not arrive on the street date, we will fully refund your shipping charge. Continental United States only. Must have overnight service available in your area. Offer void if you are unable to accept a delivery that was attempted. Not responsible for orders delayed due to inclement weather, incorrect address or credit card information. Any other shipping option besides USA Overnight will arrive 2 to 7 business days after the street date.

so your trouble is with Gamestop...

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 09:44 PM
I feel for ya bud but i would just stop they're just trolling you now.

You're right, they must be trolls. Nobody seriously makes the arguments they are.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 09:49 PM
im not trolling at all? look at what i found on Gamestop's website:

Street Date Guarantee:
Pre-order this title by 11am CST one business day before the release date posted, choose USA Overnight as your shipping option and get guaranteed delivery on the street date posted! If your product does not arrive on the street date, we will fully refund your shipping charge. Continental United States only. Must have overnight service available in your area. Offer void if you are unable to accept a delivery that was attempted. Not responsible for orders delayed due to inclement weather, incorrect address or credit card information. Any other shipping option besides USA Overnight will arrive 2 to 7 business days after the street date.

so your trouble is with Gamestop...

No.. My trouble is with Trion not being smart about letting us pre-load with a key before the game comes out. UPS usually gets to my house around 5pm PDT. So If I'm SUPER lucky I'll get it roughly 20 hours after the game releases, and THEN I can start downloading it. Like most people it'll be more like 1-2 days after launch.

All Trion needed to do was put a code on the receipt that let us pre-load and play the game, like Guild Wars 2 did. Since they didn't do that it would be fair for them to give us a grace period.

If you disagree with Trion giving us a grace period, please say why. Keep in mind that a grace period only lets us place for a day or two and then shuts off until we enter a product key. Nobody loses with a grace period.

Avagantamoz
03-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Wow, can't believe all these people asking for a grace period because they think Trion owes them. If you pre-order from Best Buy you can't blame Trion for not you not getting the game soon as the servers go live. I pre-ordered from Gamestop and, as far as I know, I'm just going to walk in Tuesday morning and take my UE home and play it. Even if I had to wait another few days, so what? We've all waited months for this anyway. I think a few more days will be fine.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Wow, can't believe all these people asking for a grace period because they think Trion owes them. If you pre-order from Best Buy you can't blame Trion for not you not getting the game soon as the servers go live. I pre-ordered from Gamestop and, as far as I know, I'm just going to walk in Tuesday morning and take my UE home and play it. Even if I had to wait another few days, so what? We've all waited months for this anyway. I think a few more days will be fine.

Not everyone has access to a store that has had physical UE copies. And just because you don't mind getting boned doesn't mean the rest of us should be content with it.

A grace period is a simple solution that lets everyone play at launch. What is wrong with a grace period?

MoFetti
03-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Thanks!

I just noticed you're on PC bro, if it's that important scrap the BB order get the cash and DD it from steam and get even more goodies plus be able to play when servers go live.

MoFetti
03-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Not everyone has access to a store that has had physical UE copies. And just because you don't mind getting boned doesn't mean the rest of us should be content with it.

A grace period is a simple solution that lets everyone play at launch. What is wrong with a grace period?

Are you on PC or console?

IGears
03-29-2013, 10:02 PM
yep, you will be lucky to get it 20 hours after release while some people in Europe have to wait 12 days.... i wasn't against it at all but there are people that deserve it more than you at the moment. you are still trying to assume that they should have CD keys on receipts when you buy something... i just see that as a way to get keys without buying it. Im just not seeing anything to why someone would even need a grace period... so if your not there the first hour the servers are running then you will not be able to ever play with your clan again or something. you are able to play on April 2 just not at midnight.

b4l00n
03-29-2013, 10:02 PM
No.. My trouble is with Trion not being smart about letting us pre-load with a key before the game comes out. UPS usually gets to my house around 5pm PDT. So If I'm SUPER lucky I'll get it roughly 20 hours after the game releases, and THEN I can start downloading it. Like most people it'll be more like 1-2 days after launch.

All Trion needed to do was put a code on the receipt that let us pre-load and play the game, like Guild Wars 2 did. Since they didn't do that it would be fair for them to give us a grace period.

If you disagree with Trion giving us a grace period, please say why. Keep in mind that a grace period only lets us place for a day or two and then shuts off until we enter a product key. Nobody loses with a grace period.

Man you have problems... I wont be able to play the game till 12/04 because of the problem with UE on xbox so imagine how I feel! I even took off from work to be able to spend some quality time at launch but little did I know then that my launch will be 10 days later! Trion and amazon say 'sorry for the inconveniance' and thats it. I am sure the could issue some sort of compensation for that but no one cares really and yet here u are trying to get Trion to let u download the game before release on 02/04 that makes me angry even more....
If someone should get a grace period that should be people who got screwed with UE edition on xbox!

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 10:03 PM
I just noticed you're on PC bro, if it's that important scrap the BB order get the cash and DD it from steam and get even more goodies plus be able to play when servers go live.

Yup this seems to be the solution. Going to buy the digital deluxe on Steam and just refund my collector's next week.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Man you have problems... I wont be able to play the game till 12/04 because of the problem with UE on xbox so imagine how I feel! I even took off from work to be able to spend some quality time at launch but little did I know then that my launch will be 10 days later! Trion and amazon say 'sorry for the inconveniance' and thats it. I am sure the could issue some sort of compensation for that but no one cares really and yet here u are trying to get Trion to let u download the game before release on 02/04 that makes me angry even more....
If someone should get a grace period that should be people who got screwed with UE edition on xbox!

You're 100% ******ed.

You're angry about downloading the game before release? You know people are doing that already, right? I'm not asking for ANY special treatment, only that I can pre-load like every other PC user and that I can play on launch day.

IGears
03-29-2013, 10:10 PM
You're 100% ******ed.

You're angry about downloading the game before release? You know people are doing that already, right? I'm not asking for ANY special treatment, only that I can pre-load like every other PC user and that I can play on launch day.

see, he has no choice but to wait... while you complaining about 20 ****ing hours max

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 10:11 PM
see, he has no choice but to wait... while you complaining about 20 ****ing hours max

No... 20 hours minimum. That's if I get lucky and they get it to me faster than I've ever received a package before. Can you just ****ing read the posts?

Tell me what you have against a grace period.

b4l00n
03-29-2013, 10:15 PM
You're 100% ******ed.

I know people are downloading it but thats DIGITAL release. Yours is physical same as mine only yours will come out on 02/04 and mine 10 days later and you are complaining that what makes me mad...

Bnpyc
03-29-2013, 10:15 PM
No grace, if you wanto play order DD edition.

I live in Russia. I ordered DD because I know that colectors edition will take 2-3 mounts to get to me.
And if you buy in third party store there is no point in accusing Trion in delivery delay.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 10:18 PM
No grace, if you wanto play order DD edition.

I live in Russia. I ordered DD because I know that colectors edition will take 2-3 mounts to get to me.
And if you buy in third party store there is no point in accusing Trion in delivery delay.

I never accused Trion of delay in the delivery. Not once. I've complained about their lack of professionalism in how they are releasing this game and supporting people who get the short end of the stick.

Anyways I'm done. The fact that anyone could possibly be against a grace period is just bizarre. There is no use arguing with you people.

Bnpyc
03-29-2013, 10:22 PM
There is same problem in avery game that i played. People who order colection edition, get it latter that rest of people.

Buruko
03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Tell me what you have against a grace period.

That it cannot be fairly applied to all platforms. So you as a PC user are no more special than a PS3 or Xbox user.

And the Beta was a download, however with Xbox you have to have the Disk to load the game after an install (which is required) and any 'grace period' would have to be approved by more than just Trion in regards to consoles.

Ichidakiller
03-29-2013, 10:35 PM

Just because you got boned by gamestop,best buy, etc etc doesn't mean they have to give you access to the game before you have your hardcopy. Just because a few companies do it doesn't mean they all have to. You want them to doesn't mean they have to. Sorry about your luck sucks to be you.

The facts this game doesn't have a grace period.
GET OVER IT.

Spaisekraft
03-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Just because you got boned by gamestop,best buy, etc etc doesn't mean they have to give you access to the game before you have your hardcopy. Just because a few companies do it doesn't mean they all have to. You want them to doesn't mean they have to. Sorry about your luck sucks to be you.

The facts this game doesn't have a grace period.
GET OVER IT.

Just can't let the stupid replies go unanswered.

I can understand your point if I chose a standard edition physical copy over a standard edition digital copy.

But no, this is the only way to get an Ultimate Edition. That's what we're talking about here, if you've forgotten already.

And there's a reason most companies do it; It's good customer service.

Ugh I have to ignore this now. If I reply to each inane comment you make I'll be up all night.

I'm just buying a digital deluxe copy now in addition to my ultimate edition. Argument over.

MacDeath
03-29-2013, 10:45 PM

'couse it took one huge shtako storm on the forums for Trion to provide grace period. It's not like Trion was offering a grace period during Rift launch from the start. It was exactly thesame issue like we are having now but the main culprit with Rift was Amazon not Gamestop, other then that it was thesame thing.
I was there for RIFT launch. I was in Alpha and all 3 betas. I agree it did take a shtako storm of forum posts to get Trion to reverse their position on a grace period.

Trion DID finally offer a grace perion for RIFT but... There is a huge difference between RIFT and Defiance. RIFT offered (for sale) a head start or early availibility program. IF you were in the head start you were already a paying Trion customer, had yer account set up, game downloaded AND were playing. THOSE were the customers who got a grace period so they could continue with their play whilst waiting for the physical box to arrive.

Defiance doesn't have a head start AND it has three platforms. How would you play on Xbox or PS3 without a physical disc?

gjwhite66
03-29-2013, 10:45 PM
That it cannot be fairly applied to all platforms. So you as a PC user are no more special than a PS3 or Xbox user.

And the Beta was a download, however with Xbox you have to have the Disk to load the game after an install (which is required) and any 'grace period' would have to be approved by more than just Trion in regards to consoles.

Though I disagree with the Grace Period on principle alone, this is actually not just possible, EA Sports has been doing it for years. If you are an EA Season Pass subscriber, you get a free 3-Day download of every sports game they release that season. No disk required, you literally download the full game. After the 3 days are over, you no longer have access. It works just like renting a movie from the PSN or XBox Marketplace.
So they could technically do the same thing for consoles. I just personally don't think they need to. I do actually feel bad for the OP. We all want the things we pay for. Honestly, my only issue with him came from the way he addresses his issues with the customer service agent (transcript is on pg 1). That exchange is what gave you the air of entitlement. You even used ":P" in one of your answers towards her.

Buruko
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Though I disagree with the Grace Period on principle alone, this is actually not just possible, EA Sports has been doing it for years. If you are an EA Season Pass subscriber, you get a free 3-Day download of every sports game they release that season. No disk required, you literally download the full game. After the 3 days are over, you no longer have access. It works just like renting a movie from the PSN or XBox Marketplace.
So they could technically do the same thing for consoles. I just personally don't think they need to. I do actually feel bad for the OP. We all want the things we pay for. Honestly, my only issue with him came from the way he addresses his issues with the customer service agent (transcript is on pg 1). That exchange is what gave you the air of entitlement. You even used ":P" in one of your answers towards her.

And I imagine that the EA Season Pass is a service they worked out with Microsoft in detail so they could execute the very type of service you have described.

However here we are at the 11th hour so to speak, that kind of logistics is just not going to happen.

gjwhite66
03-29-2013, 11:01 PM
And I imagine that the EA Season Pass is a service they worked out with Microsoft in detail so they could execute the very type of service you have described.

Yeah, it's a subscription, you pay $20 per year. Works just like any other digital download. EA registers your account as a Season Pass member, so you don't have to do anything special to get the games after you subscribe. The pass also grants you discounts to game add-ons and such.

rhodezie
03-29-2013, 11:04 PM
I think a grace period should be open to everyone if it happens and advertise it this way you can generate hype for the game get people intrested that aint already.

Warlander
03-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Digital Download ....get with the future.

Jinto
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Yea i just hate feeling punished for the Physical copy as i sad this months ago when i bought my pre-order because you offer extras like an Art Book and other physical extras im going to buy it every time yet i wont get to play it till Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday :/

But this wont effect my stance on this being an amazing game and dont get why people would cancel a pre-order because of it :(

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 11:56 PM
in these days, if you order a physical copy, and expect to have it on time, shame on you...

it's just not happening that much anymore.. there will always be people who never get it on time...

do like the smart people, order a collectors edition, but be ready to buy the cheapest download version of the game, so you can play from the get go... because something often goes wrong...

expecting or even asking for a grace period, from a game that's just not set up for doing so, is just plain rude in my eyes...

Duckforceone
03-29-2013, 11:57 PM
which reminds me, have you tried asking trion, that if you buy a digital version, and if you enter a collectors code within 2 weeks, would it be possible to get a refund on the trion digital download you bought directly from them?

Jinto
03-30-2013, 12:00 AM
in these days, if you order a physical copy, and expect to have it on time, shame on you...

it's just not happening that much anymore.. there will always be people who never get it on time...

do like the smart people, order a collectors edition, but be ready to buy the cheapest download version of the game, so you can play from the get go... because something often goes wrong...

expecting or even asking for a grace period, from a game that's just not set up for doing so, is just plain rude in my eyes...

I will always order Physical if i can get collectable stuff out of it so im fine with being a little late just glad i live in the US so its hours instead of maybe days i just couldn't see spending $100 for digital stuff so i guess that makes me old :/

which reminds me, have you tried asking trion, that if you buy a digital version, and if you enter a collectors code within 2 weeks, would it be possible to get a refund on the trion digital download you bought directly from them?

thats too much trouble for Trion to do that for hundreds of people..thats just being unreasonable for people to ask for that "Special" treatment

Mtrai
03-30-2013, 12:08 AM

Usually companies ship pre-order boxes way in advance, so vast majority get them for launch day.
Now we're looking atleast a 10 day delay plus delivery time, which is not typical.

All other MMO's allow a grace period. Why is Defiance not "set up for doing so"? Why is it rude to ask for Defiance to do the same as all other MMO's have done before? A grace period is standard for MMO's.

I realize this doesn't solve anything for X360 players. But at least us PC players would be easily sorted.

And for those that say "why don't you just buy digital". I'd be interested to hear how I can get my hellbug statue, art book and messenger bag thru my ADSL connection.

Duckforceone
03-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Usually companies ship pre-order boxes way in advance, so vast majority get them for launch day.
Now we're looking atleast a 10 day delay plus delivery time, which is not typical.

All other MMO's allow a grace period. Why is Defiance not "set up for doing so"? Why is it rude to ask for Defiance to do the same as all other MMO's have done before? A grace period is standard for MMO's.

I realize this doesn't solve anything for X360 players. But at least us PC players would be easily sorted.

And for those that say "why don't you just buy digital". I'd be interested to hear how I can get my hellbug statue, art book and messenger bag thru my ADSL connection.

not even close to all mmo's offer a grace period..

also, the grace period is usually contingent on a system being setup in advance, where you get a pre-order code from the store, so you at least have bought something when you get a free game play...

so setting it up now for them, the only way they could do it, was if you bought their digital version, and they offered a refund on everyone who put in a keycode for the ultimate edition before the 14th or something like that...

any other way, is simply not possible... or economic ruin..

and also, doing it just for pc, would not be fair to the consoles, and create more problems than it would solve...

Kroesis
03-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Is this thread not dead yet?

I feel more cowbell coming on....

Cowkiller
03-30-2013, 12:40 AM
wondered why i stoped buying games from the store and only buy them online. games already downloaded ready for 8 am on tuesday

Sakara
03-30-2013, 02:21 AM

also, the grace period is usually contingent on a system being setup in advance, where you get a pre-order code from the store, so you at least have bought something when you get a free game play...

so setting it up now for them, the only way they could do it, was if you bought their digital version, and they offered a refund on everyone who put in a keycode for the ultimate edition before the 14th or something like that...

and also, doing it just for pc, would not be fair to the consoles, and create more problems than it would solve...

No, not all games have offered a grace period, especially in the early days. Now though? Many have offered the grace period, enough so that it has become common enough in the industry to become a standard (although that doesn't mean every company will use it). There is really no archaic mechanism that they have to set up to do it, either; like many other games, they just go off of the pre-order/beta keys on the disc/receipt (generally the latter in recent years).

There is already a pre-download in your Trion account that any PC user should have access to, provided they entered a pre-order code in (and regardless of if they actually participated in the beta). All Trion has to do is enable a 24 - 48 hour grace period for those accounts that have such a code entered by launch. As others familiar with consoles have stated, the same can be done with the consoles; allow the download, activate a grace period for only those who had such a code entered, for the same amount of time. When the time is up, you can't play until an actual key is entered; in the case of the Europe mess, they should get a longer grace period in my opinion.

I find the claim of economic ruin laughable: A short grace period is no more damaging than a free trial. Heck WWIIOnline and Anarchy Online, which had the worst and second worst launches in history respectively, both stopped the countdown on the thirty days of free time that MMOs come with (for six months for WWIIOnline, and I believe three months in the case of AO). Twenty-four to forty-eight hours of a grace period isn't going to ruin Trion. Other games have had grace periods, especially in the case of shipping errors/delays, regardless of who was at fault. It is doable, it has been done, and it most certainly will not ruin the company.

In fact it garners that thing that any company's marketing department salivates over: Good will among the customers, and more importantly to them, good PR. Frankly I am surprised that there will not be an official midnight launch party on the 1st, given the tie-in with the show and the amount of advertising I have seen, and I find it curious as to why they have decided to go with the times that they have; they should have either had the midnight launch, or opened the game up on April 2 at 10:00 A.M. EST.

Snow1938
03-30-2013, 03:46 AM
Redacted ----

Serrot
03-30-2013, 04:04 AM
or opened the game up on April 2 at 10:00 A.M. EST.

That way they would be punishing ALOT more people, for ordering digitally. Not to mention the people in the EU who wouldn't be able to play until 4pm/5pm respectively. The fact is, if you want a guarantee to play on launch day, you order digitally.

NinthPrejudice
03-30-2013, 04:25 AM

I have to disagree. Even though I already have the digital version ready to play as soon as the servers open, I am in favour of a grace period for those who ordered the physical version. SWTOR did it, and and it is perfectly possible. Just continue to let accounts play for the grace period, and if at the end the preorder code is not verified, terminate access.

There's always a risk that some will preorder, play for the grace period, and then quit. But this number is going to be tiny, if present at all. Plus, the servers need to be up anyway. So no significant economic loss to Trion at all.

A grace period will serve to remind Trion customers that they are valued and that Trion is committed to providing the best service possible. A grace period doesn't hurt the other players much, unless you're talking about possible server lag/queues. But that's Trion's responsibility to make sure everything runs smoothly, and it'll be selfish to prevent other paying customers from playing when they have the right to.

Sakara
03-30-2013, 05:21 AM
That way they would be punishing ALOT more people, for ordering digitally. Not to mention the people in the EU who wouldn't be able to play until 4pm/5pm respectively. The fact is, if you want a guarantee to play on launch day, you order digitally.

Why exactly would it be punishing digital people to have a set time where the customer base in the U.S. could play? Granted East Coast would have a few hours of game time versus West Coast, but it doesn't 'punish' digital downloads at all. In fact, digital downloads could play as the servers opened up in the East Coast, and be among the first to play. Actually, the digital downloads would have a bit of a head start anyway; the store bought games would still need to be picked up, while the digital downloads could jump right in.

The only thing different would be that digital downloads wouldn't have so big of head start. An hour after Eastern players pick up their games, Central could grab their games, then Mountain, then Pacific. Isn't Europe going to have its own servers? If so, then they could set it up to be more favorable to European time zones. It is unusual to see a midnight launch of a game, but not allow the store bought games to be picked up at midnight.

shadows
03-30-2013, 05:28 AM
They could easily use the preorder bonus key to verify that you have pre ordered a copy of the game and allow the grace period on that alone. As you recive that via email before you get the game.

Many games have done this in the past as far back as ever quest’s first expansion and that was back in the 90's

The code is linked to your account anyway via the web site. They already have the beta on Xbox live only have to update that with the live version. For download and even then they could add your pre order code to be able to download the client.

The argument people will get to play for free is silly as what do you think you do in a trial version of an mmo 10 days free play for an mmo is standard for a pay to play one.

And in the end customer service is how they will survive for the long term anyway and there Xbox customer service quite frankly is lacking to say the least.

I am still wondering if I have fallen for some kind of online scam to get me to buy 2 copies off the same game. (Amazon refused to allow me to send back a copy if opened and said they could not discuss any arrangements made on another account ) fair enough I can and have now got 2 copies of the game. I am not sure but I think this will be the most expensive game I have ever owned (not counting other mmo with multiple expansions)

But I can’t help wondering how many copies of defiance are going to sit around unused it is certainly going to make the company look better on sales as they have double up on allot of sales thus artificially inflating the sales I am just waiting for the announcement that defiance was the most preordered game off all time due to the false inflation thus getting more people to buy the game but then I would imagine there will be an abundance of second hand copies around.

;)

Martiel
03-30-2013, 05:41 AM
The only lesson here is this: Do not pre-order physical copies if Trion is involved. They should have been making sure the retailers had codes to give out at the moment of purchase, just like every other MMO released in the last decade.

False, WOW did not do it, for example, neither did Warhammer online, if I remember correctly.

Sakara
03-30-2013, 05:57 AM
False, WOW did not do it, for example, neither did Warhammer online, if I remember correctly.

While WoW is still the juggernaut of online gaming, remember that it actually launched in 2004; a lot of the practices that are standard today were still being developed, or had not yet been developed. As for WAR, I think I remember that there was a head start for pre-orders that had that grace period (i.e. you got into the head start and you had a few days, after the head start ended, before it became inactive until a key was submitted).

Shogo_Yahagi
03-30-2013, 06:09 AM
You know, all of this angst could have been avoiding by reading the information provided by the sellers before making your purchase. They all tell you shipping dates and estimated times of arrival before you make a purchase. When I was deciding where I would place my order, I saw that the only way I could guarantee my physical edition on launch day without paying an arm and a leg for expedited shipping was to pre-order and pick my copy up at the store, so that's what I did.

While it would be nice for Trion to offer some sort of grace period, you can't expect them to read the product descriptions for you.

(Obviously, this does not apply to the distribution problems faced in the EU.)

JohnMcClane
03-30-2013, 06:12 AM
I do like Trion but in the end its just business ,who ever goofed up they are end-responsible as its a Trion game.

I got compensations from every major company , Blizzard for example gave me a free Mist of Pandaria standard key because my key of my CE was unusable because someone made it invalid without a know reason .
It took two weeks than i asked where is my CE key ? They added a working CE key to my account and gave me a free month game time to compensate ...

He/She who fails pays ...

An extended grace time will be enough to get everyone happy , even the partners that got burned in process

shadows
03-30-2013, 06:15 AM
You know, all of this angst could have been avoiding by reading the information provided by the sellers before making your purchase. They all tell you shipping dates and estimated times of arrival before you make a purchase. When I was deciding where I would place my order, I saw that the only way I could guarantee my physical edition on launch day without paying an arm and a leg for expedited shipping was to pre-order and pick my copy up at the store, so that's what I did.

While it would be nice for Trion to offer some sort of grace period, you can't expect them to read the product descriptions for you.

no local store to pick up a UE copy of the game argument invalid

Shogo_Yahagi
03-30-2013, 06:24 AM
no local store to pick up a UE copy of the game argument invalid

Actually, although I was responding to the OP, who is not in the EU, I'd just edited to add that it didn't apply to those users affected by the distribution problems in the EU, but even those orders had a delivery date and unless you paid extra to receive it on launch day, you weren't going to get it on launch day.

No matter where you are, if you want it on launch day, you either have to pay extra or walk into a store. If no retailers in the EU have figured out how to do pre-orders with in-store pickup, that seems like a problem you need to take up with their customer service, not Trion's.