PDA

View Full Version : Another reason players are leaving Defiance - horrible lockbox drop rates

Albion
07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
This is not exactly new news, but the whole lockbox thing is the basic equivalent of getting kicked squarely in the balls. Over and over again. They have always been bad, but does it seem like they are even worse now?

Last night, after the mind numbing chore of putting together 72 keycodes, I bought the usual 3 T3 boxes I always get. Out of 9 items, 7 were green! Seriously? Why are green items even in these lockboxes in the first place? I don't expect an orange item every time of course, but you don't even see as many purples anymore.

After spending all weekend opening boxes, a clan mate of mine became so frustrated with this awful system that he resorted to buying a few T4's with bits - even though I told him he was crazy to do so. Of course, not even that gave him even a single orange item. He estimated he opened around 50 T3's and T4's and came up with zero orange items. He also seems to have lost interest in Defiance now, and told me he is tired of the grind for nothing and isn't coming back to play anymore. I bet this happens more than they think it does, I know I usually end up with a negative feeling after I play for several hours and can't grind out even a usuable purple item. I still come back, but I know a lot of my friends haven't.

Chrono499
07-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Agreed.

GAWD on Teir 4 lockbox number 5 now with nothing but blues...

WTF!!!!!!!

DarknessEyes PT
07-31-2013, 10:17 AM
I dont agree with you, i also only buy Tier 2 boxes.
I buyed alots of tier 3 at begin and got nothing better than purple.
Two weeks ago i started buying only tier 2 and got 4 oranges in 2 weeks and also got some good blue/green items.

What is wrong is the loot dropped by enemies that is very very low, i only got 2 purples from floor in 3.000 ego.

TeamLexana
07-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Even if you get an orange, its usually not even a good gun anyways. Last orange I got I broke down because I was so discusted by it, lol. The one before that, I straight up gave away for free to a clanmate. Run and Gun ROCKET LAUNCHER..... yeah cuz I am really plan on running full speed shooting one rocket at a time! Thank God for that increased accuracy! Seriously?! Oranges are over rated

Soren
07-31-2013, 10:19 AM
IMO they should just release a sure-fire way of obtaining higher grade weapons but there should still be a large amount of time/effort required to do it. And it shouldn't be tied to keycodes, because keycodes really aren't that hard to get and people are trying to do the whole 3 T3 boxes VS the 1 T4 box to try and have a better chance at higher grade weapons. Maybe have it tied to a new weekly contract, and basically each week you compleate it you will get a loot box that gives at least one guaranteed purple + a high (let's say 30%) chance at an orange. Or if the lootbox only gives a single item, make it at least a guaranteed purple with a 50% chance at being an orange. Or make it a lootbox you have to purchase with new currency gained via daily/weekly contracts. Whatever. As long as there's a proper balance between time/effort and whatnot.

Or maybe they should just up the % chance on T4 boxes too so that it actually is more worthwhile to buy the single T4 boxes VS 3 T3 boxes. IE, give a 50% chance on a purple item or something and a 10-25% chance of an orange.

'cause that is pretty weak if the only way to really get the top-end weapons and such is via lockboxes. That's all too dependent on RNG and does not make for good endgame. Adding in a guaranteed method that takes longer than the normal lockbox accrual would be a nice alternative. Probably via some new type of weekly contracts where you can do either PvP or PvE stuff to obtain 'em.

TeamLexana
07-31-2013, 10:29 AM
IMO they should just release a sure-fire way of obtaining higher grade weapons but there should still be a large amount of time/effort required to do it. And it shouldn't be tied to keycodes, because keycodes really aren't that hard to get and people are trying to do the whole 3 T3 boxes VS the 1 T4 box to try and have a better chance at higher grade weapons. Maybe have it tied to a new weekly contract, and basically each week you compleate it you will get a loot box that gives at least one guaranteed purple + a high (let's say 30%) chance at an orange. Or if the lootbox only gives a single item, make it at least a guaranteed purple with a 50% chance at being an orange. Or make it a lootbox you have to purchase with new currency gained via daily/weekly contracts. Whatever. As long as there's a proper balance between time/effort and whatnot.

Or maybe they should just up the % chance on T4 boxes too so that it actually is more worthwhile to buy the single T4 boxes VS 3 T3 boxes. IE, give a 50% chance on a purple item or something and a 10-25% chance of an orange.

'cause that is pretty weak if the only way to really get the top-end weapons and such is via lockboxes. That's all too dependent on RNG and does not make for good endgame. Adding in a guaranteed method that takes longer than the normal lockbox accrual would be a nice alternative.

I'd be happy if the rep venders you do contracts for at LEAST had a decent quality purple in their store and the junk mods that don't even exist in game were removed from the rep venders mod caches. Seriously now, how hard could that be? I don't think that's too much to ask.

bigguy
07-31-2013, 10:29 AM
i started playing this game with six other friends , i am the only one left still playing and its because im the only one who pulled any oranges from boxes , and they arent even what i wanted you can pull fifty oranges and not get your favorite gun and open 500 boxes to do it , the other people i see every two weeks on average and they wont be back for the dlc , and to tell you the truth ive opened 50 boxes in the last two weeks and got nothing im almost done too. some people have over 100 legendaries and others have none something is wrong with that

TeamLexana
07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
i started playing this game with six other friends , i am the only one left still playing and its because im the only one who pulled any oranges from boxes , and they arent even what i wanted you can pull fifty oranges and not get your favorite gun and open 500 boxes to do it , the other people i see every two weeks on average and they wont be back for the dlc , and to tell you the truth ive opened 50 boxes in the last two weeks and got nothing im almost done too. some people have over 100 legendaries and others have none something is wrong with that

I've pulled plenty of oranges, its just more of a matter of getting an orange thats of a decent quality thats a problem and the rare few I have that are decent have HORRIBLE bonus skills when maxed. My good bolt action sniper got a high hipfire crit bonus which I would have loved on literally ANYTHING ELSE but a a bolt action. A decent pump I recently maxed got a 30% damage bonus to freaking VEHICLES! Yeah.... thats real usefell. GRRRRRR!

Daholic
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
I say screw the lock boxes, and revamp the co-op mission, extend it, and have a loot table for each boss. I hate to say it, but the mmorpg ilk has gotten it right all along. Why not have a instance with 5 bosses, each with a loot table, with the last boss dropping the legendary gear if cleared.

Omnifarious Xji
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
I've only ever gotten T2 lockboxes. I've gotten like 8 oranges from them. Never get T3 or T4. Only T2.

Donnyrides
07-31-2013, 11:03 AM
I do my best to stay positive on the forums because if I didn't like the game, I wouldn't/Shouldn't be on the forum, BUT I have to agree about the box rate and drop rate. .05% to 5% drop rate of an orange by "certain" enemies is really trash. And the lock boxes are a total waste. I only by mod boxes now in hopes of landing a good AR mod to sell so I can buy a Legendary weapon of my choice from the non stop brokers at arkfalls.

I've purchased over 250 boxes easily and have only seen 1 orange. That is crazy. Random is random but it's fun to win the prize once in a while.

Bar0n_5am3d1
07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
If your leaving a game due to random drops then why were you playing a MMO in the first place?

hardy83
07-31-2013, 11:49 AM
If your leaving a game due to random drops then why were you playing a MMO in the first place?

Exactly. Frustrating RNG systems is an MMO staple. lol
If you don't like it, you are TOTALLY playing the wrong genre.

N3gativeCr33p
07-31-2013, 11:50 AM

This! ^^^

/10chars

Ecklund
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
I have been playing since the game was released. I have opened many Tier 3 and a few Tier 4 boxes and have never gotten an orange item! At this point I really just want an orange item to unlock the achievement as I'm pretty happy with the loadouts I currently have set up!

August Barkley
07-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Sorry but lol. Leave the game just because of some random items? О_о

I've been playing a little more than two weeks. During this time I got 6 orange items from purple locked boxes. Apparently, you just are not actively playing.

In any case, even if you have no luck with orange things, is it a reason to leave the game?

cusman
07-31-2013, 02:25 PM
I agree that lockboxes are not a reliable way to get weapons/shields/grenades you want to use. Same reason why gambling is not a reliable way to earn money.

If you are interested in your play session always giving you at least a purple, then I suggest you visit each of the vendor stores every hour as at least one of them has a purple and a couple of them have a blue-mod. What they have stocked changes every hour so you can keep playing and just visiting these shops all day long for blues/purples.

Much of the stuff I have that I use are store bought or loot drop from killing the bigger enemies like Volge boss, Tankers, Hulkers, etc. The 4-5 oranges I have I either bought in trade or got in lockbox 3/4 but last one was over 2000 EGO ago.

The Oranges used to drop more earlier in the game life than they do now... now the lock boxes just kick you in the balls and laugh.

Orbital
07-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Even if you do get a purple or orange there is a large chance that it will only have one or two (if that) decent bonuses, and then you have to try and get a useful synergy with those as well. You have a better chance of getting a decent purple from major arkfalls.

ironcladtrash
07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Sadly, I aggree with the frustration. If I was actively grinding towards something other than a lotto chance it wouldn't feel so bad. I have oppened on average 4 tier 3 lockboxes a day for the last 2 weeks and got 1 orange in that time that I don't even like. Also in that time I was seeking a fragger with fire nano and didn't care about rarity. After 2 weeks I still couldn't find a fire fragger, some one was nice enough to just give me a blue one to use.

Mystery Soul
07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
I like the idea of rep vendors carrying better items or maybe even rare lock boxes like the challenger specials.

Jay Common
07-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Last weekend I got two orange weapons out of one T3 lockbox.

It even says 'random items' right in the description of the lockboxes.

True story...

Cavadus
07-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Lockboxes need to guarantee at least 1 item of the rarity assigned to the lockbox (i.e. T4 should guarantee at least 1 purple, T3 at least one blue, T2 at least one green).

The fact that they color coded the boxes in such a fashion is hella misleading and, IMO, underhanded.

ten4
07-31-2013, 05:09 PM

Recent trend in MMOs seems to be entirely based on RNG and winning the lottery.

Many other MMOs offer other ways to gain items rather than pure RNG so I will assume that reply was done in ignorance in not playing many MMOs.

In example in that game that rhymes with Cow, those devs decided to allow you to gain 'tokens' that can be saved up to out right buy the pieces you want if instance/raid bosses never drop what you are after. Still takes lots of time and effort compared to winning the lottery but at least it's there as an option.

Sure RNG is a factor in many MMOs but most offer visibly apparent pathways to a goal if RNG is being a pain in the kiester.

GW2 is another game that relies on heavy RNG when it comes to pre-cursors for legendaries but they have already said they have plans to address that issue and will offer an alternate way to gain them that is more visible. Like to note that you can get gear in GW2 through multiple ways and none of them are in CS 'lock boxes'. They are expanding their team and not firing them so I would safely assume this business model actually works.

Let's just say that RNG in 'bad' MMOs is result of micro transactions and greed. Spend considerable time and effort to earn rewards or simply out right buy it with RL money. Obviously, they rather us spend money...they are counting on it and designed the game that way. They nerfed the heck out of key gain rates already if you want proof.

Fancypants
07-31-2013, 05:12 PM
"Another reason players are leaving Defiance - horrible lockbox drop rates "

Do people leave games because of horrible lockbox rates, or do they just stop buying gambling chest keys in the cash shops? I mean, if someone likes the game but is just trying to get better gear why would they quit that game because the gambling odds suck?

Probably should just stop pumping money into the cash shop like a moron or a child with their parent's credit card. (not meaning you)

Nefarious
07-31-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't think ppl are not playing bc of not getting oranges from lock boxes.

For sure its a kick in the balls when its nothing but crap.

And it feels like this...
http://www.miscupload.com/upload/54970430517783337667773.gif

But when you do land those good oranges.

It feels like this...
http://www.miscupload.com/upload/669217184918657817124163.gif

ironcladtrash
07-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Many other MMOs offer other ways to gain items rather than pure RNG

.................................................. .............................................
Sure RNG is a factor in many MMOs but most offer visibly apparent pathways to a goal if RNG is being a pain in the kiester.

This is all I want. I wouldn't mind a grind towards weapons I want instead of the lotto that I just cant seem to win.

XPac
07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Like most people, I have had HORRIBLE luck with lock boxes. And I certainly wish I had more oranges considering the massive amount of time I've spent grinding for keys.

That said, it's sort of no bid deal. You don't NEED orange weapons... good purples will work just as well and you come across those pretty often. So it's not like the lack of oranges from Lock Boxes really effect the playability of the game. Oranges more than anything are just kind of nice to have.

Valethar
07-31-2013, 06:13 PM
There's a sound effect that plays in the Trion building every time someone buys a lockbox. When the boxes are added to the cart, you can hear shears humming in the background. When the 'buy' button is clicked, you can hear bleating.

Daholic
07-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Recent trend in MMOs seems to be entirely based on RNG and winning the lottery.

Many other MMOs offer other ways to gain items rather than pure RNG so I will assume that reply was done in ignorance in not playing many MMOs.

In example in that game that rhymes with Cow, those devs decided to allow you to gain 'tokens' that can be saved up to out right buy the pieces you want if instance/raid bosses never drop what you are after. Still takes lots of time and effort compared to winning the lottery but at least it's there as an option.

GW2 is another game that relies on heavy RNG when it comes to pre-cursors for legendaries but they have already said they have plans to address that issue and will offer an alternate way to gain them that is more visible. Like to note that you can get gear in GW2 through multiple ways and none of them are in CS 'lock boxes'. They are expanding their team and not firing them so I would safely assume this business model actually works.

Let's just say that RNG in 'bad' MMOs is result of micro transactions and greed. Spend considerable time and effort to earn rewards or simply out right buy it with RL money. Obviously, they rather us spend money...they are counting on it and designed the game that way. They nerfed the heck out of key gain rates already if you want proof.

and yet your the only one here who understands the problem.

Elric1
07-31-2013, 06:39 PM
This is not exactly new news, but the whole lockbox thing is the basic equivalent of getting kicked squarely in the balls. Over and over again. They have always been bad, but does it seem like they are even worse now?

Last night, after the mind numbing chore of putting together 72 keycodes, I bought the usual 3 T3 boxes I always get. Out of 9 items, 7 were green! Seriously? Why are green items even in these lockboxes in the first place? I don't expect an orange item every time of course, but you don't even see as many purples anymore.

After spending all weekend opening boxes, a clan mate of mine became so frustrated with this awful system that he resorted to buying a few T4's with bits - even though I told him he was crazy to do so. Of course, not even that gave him even a single orange item. He estimated he opened around 50 T3's and T4's and came up with zero orange items. He also seems to have lost interest in Defiance now, and told me he is tired of the grind for nothing and isn't coming back to play anymore. I bet this happens more than they think it does, I know I usually end up with a negative feeling after I play for several hours and can't grind out even a usuable purple item. I still come back, but I know a lot of my friends haven't.

There is nothing worth getting anymore via lockboxes unless you are 4K plus in level. because the only reason I'd waste keys IS because I am over 4K or have maxed out my keys. The lockbox is a complete joke and little wonder few is purchasing them via bits.

CAL1973
07-31-2013, 09:30 PM
https://lh4.ggpht.com/OPimUmkfzvLkNGld1ixmBZOveFyyUWyzOW5JcbyxMWAcm9eC_Z RPohWbS1iHn5yfHy28=w300

Hey Apple!!!, it's a lottery!!!

I came second in a major arkfall leaderboard using a blue weapon, go figure. Don't really care if I get any supposed "Legendaries" and definitely won't be buying any bits. It's all relative to what people believe, or are led to believe, better tools do not make you a better worker, and that is the folly or most people in video games. Money can't buy skill, pfft...........kids today eh?

Albion
08-01-2013, 10:50 AM
There is nothing worth getting anymore via lockboxes unless you are 4K plus in level. because the only reason I'd waste keys IS because I am over 4K or have maxed out my keys. The lockbox is a complete joke and little wonder few is purchasing them via bits.

Its funny you mention that, because my main toon is 4500+ and I don't like opening lockboxes with that toon because on the very rare chance that I should get something orange and want to trade/sell it, I am limited to a handful of other people. I started a second toon just to farm for oranges, at least that way if what you get isnt exactly what you want, it is more easily tradeable.

But on topic, i fully understand that you don't need legendary weapons to do well in this game. I even was fighting Volge last night with white weapons on my farming toon. But if you create a game that has orange weapons as the ultimate "prize", and then have no real way for players to earn those prizes except for scratch-off lottery tickets, it is poor game design that will frustrate many players to the point of them just giving up. I've seen it myself, and was hoping someone at Trion might acknowledge this poor system needs changing before its too late for the game.

Mowazzy
08-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I bought the usual 3 T3 boxes I always get.

I've identified your problem. You can thank me when you have time. T4s only from now on and your luck will improve my friend.

Pro-Tip: max to 75 keys. buy a T3 first, then buy the T4.

August Barkley
08-01-2013, 11:09 AM
you don't need legendary weapons to do well in this game.

Exactly! And it's a good thing! I'll explain why. The determining factor should be the skill of the player, wise using of perks and EGO-powers. It will be a failure if incompetent player with orange weapons will conquer one and all! In addition, the price of orange weapons are inflated right now. Imagine what would happen if the success depends on the equipment?

I believe that Tryon did the right thing by making the player independent of the equipment, and dependent on personal skills.

Tyger
08-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Apparently teasing the dimwitted for posting cry-threads over their ongoing troubles with a RNG system is frowned upon. So in the wake of the recent frownie, allow me to ask those of you here with the QQ in your hearts....

What part of 'Random' in the Random Number Generator system is escaping your understanding?

No, seriously... What is getting hung up during the information evaluation process here?

*bangs on the wall for dramatic effect*

I can't fix something if I don't know what's broke!!!! !>.<!

Reverend Blood
08-01-2013, 11:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/q3bA7w1.png

alienstookmybeer
08-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Like others are saying, the few oranges I did get happened a long time ago. Does indeed feel like a rigged system and a sad ploy to get people to spend money.

To the OP's point, I know I don't feel like quitting yet because I still have missions to run but I no longer have fun opening lockboxes. It's more like 'eh I'm almost maxed out on keycodes again so I guess I'll throw away some script on a lockbox.'

Slyfox2001
08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Apparently teasing the dimwitted for posting cry-threads over their ongoing troubles with a RNG system is frowned upon. So in the wake of the recent frownie, allow me to ask those of you here with the QQ in your hearts....

What part of 'Random' in the Random Number Generator system is escaping your understanding?

No, seriously... What is getting hung up during the information evaluation process here?

Just kind of skimmed through this post (go figure, right?), but what I've come to see has not been "random," in its general form. When you program something with a RNG, you set a seed. You can duplicate this seed so that the "random" part won't ever be random beyond the first time... hence if I use a seed X to get a random number, say 8, I can potentially use the same seed and sequence to get the number 8 every time... that's not random, but programing wise, it looks that way.

Case in point, there was about 1 - 2 weeks time played where my girlfriend and I, who share a couch when we play, would farm up enough keys to each unlock 3 Tier 3s... Each and every time, we each got 3 greens followed by a blue. Now, if we each get that, every time, that's not random. The "seed" used to generate those results (when the server boots up, my guess) makes it a random GGGB combo, but after that, no more random.

I'm sure there are those others out there that have experienced this or something like it. Just sayin'... Merry Christmas though guys!

Saminator
08-01-2013, 11:52 AM
My friend (Gamertag: SS SpitRoast) has bought 80+ Tier 4's and 30+Tier 3's and still not got a legendary. I've bought about 20 Tier 3's and still not got a legendary. We are both ego 5000 by the way. Something is definitely up.

Tyger
08-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Maybe they have a RNG built into the seed that gets pulled during the initial RNG. Oh wow, I just thought of how lame that'd be to deal with.... XD

Tamsin
08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I have a dumb newbie question. I am assuming that the higher lock boxes have a higher percentage of the rarer weapons. Is that correct? Is it not correct? Unknown?

I guess I got lucky that my second lock box ever has an orange weapon. Now if I can just learn enough for it to make a difference :)

Satsuki
08-01-2013, 12:01 PM
I have a dumb newbie question. I am assuming that the higher lock boxes have a higher percentage of the rarer weapons. Is that correct? Is it not correct? Unknown?

I guess I got lucky that my second lock box ever has an orange weapon. Now if I can just learn enough for it to make a difference :)

Nobody really knows for sure, despite the "I figured it out!" posts you see now and then. I've pulled two oranges, one from a T4 and another from a T2.

Tamsin
08-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh yeah, maybe I should have mentioned, mine was from a T2.

Albion
08-01-2013, 01:25 PM
I've identified your problem. You can thank me when you have time. T4s only from now on and your luck will improve my friend.

Pro-Tip: max to 75 keys. buy a T3 first, then buy the T4.

I've tried T4's, a lot of them, never got a single orange from them. Not even one. The ones I got all came from T3's. But I'm going to try your pro-tip, certainly I cant do any worse.

alienstookmybeer
08-01-2013, 01:32 PM
75 keys isn't enough to buy a T3 and T4. Unless you mean max out, buy a T3, acquire more keys and buy a T4.

Edited for math fail

loracsilver
08-01-2013, 02:04 PM

The other part people seem to be tripping up on, is that it says "Uncommon or greater." the greens are uncommon!! you are getting a RANDOM draw of weapons from the GREEN POOL OR BETTER!. it doesn't say that it guarantee's anything other then uncommon or better in rarity.

August Barkley
08-01-2013, 02:37 PM
About one hour ago, I bought two T3 lunchboxes. Among received items was one orange. It is a matter of luck, I think.

alienstookmybeer
08-01-2013, 02:40 PM
About an hour ago, I bought two T3 lunchboxes. Among received items was one orange. It is a matter of luck, I think.

Good deal. What ego level is your character at?

August Barkley
08-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Good deal. What ego level is your character at?

EGO is 2300.

JohnSRice
08-01-2013, 03:40 PM
With everything else that's good in this game you're quitting because of lock boxes? Man you're hard to please lol.

GiantInMaine
08-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Am I the only one that likes the fact that they are hard to come by? If they were easy to get like everyone wants they wouldn't be so sought after.

I do wish they didn't have such stupid *** bonuses on them 90% of the time.

MartyrMarcus
08-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Am I the only one that likes the fact that they are hard to come by? If they were easy to get like everyone wants they wouldn't be so sought after.

I do wish they didn't have such stupid *** bonuses on them 90% of the time.

Agree, 200% Melee damage bonus after self revive on a legendary makes me want to cry. Although I hope that some of the other revive bonuses become more useful with the Volge Sieges, because I think (and hope) that a lot of people will end up dying in those, and I do mean A LOT.

Dana Dawn
08-01-2013, 11:09 PM
My biggest problem is that the RNG is very much skewed to rocket launchers, lobbers and shotguns.
You almost never get a anything else, if you are really lucky you may get a pistol.

I think the loot table of the boxes and drops are automatically skewed based on statistics on what types of weapons are least used by the player, in an attempt to balance what type of weapons are actually used in the world.

Sadly everyone just has to get to a vendor to buy his assault riffle or SAW.

NAOMI TAKAHASHI
08-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Started off with an awful lot of white weapons! Have got 3 orange weapons from the drop boxes not the expensive ones! Been receiving a lot of purple weapons lately! Have a lot of blue weapons in my arsenal also! Been mainly keeping the synergy weapons! The hulkers go down in about 5 seconds with my purple synergy saw purchased thru Top Notch Toolworks! It all comes down to reputation and attacking anything that moves! Finished an entire EGO grid! Price to transfer grids up to 10,000 script! Keep changing money into green to be able to add more modifications to your weapons! Attach a lot of level ones or be picky and attach the good ones only! When you have finished the world missions get stuck into the team play missions or rampages etc.... There is more than enough to do if you haven't reached 5000 yet!

Myria
08-02-2013, 02:59 AM

Are they that sought after?

I mean among the game's general population, such as it is, not among traders and forum goers, who generally obsesses about such things way in excess of the general gaming population.

Perhaps they are, I dunno, but I can't imagine why. Outside of Beta 3, where they gave us bits to test the store with and the lockboxes dropped oranges like acid rain, I've never gotten a orange.

Not a single one.

And I don't really care.

Between the lack of much in the way of meaningful difference in weapons of the same type and the general lack of difficulty overall, what possible difference would it make? A couple of rounds less for a mob to die? At most?

Meh.

Personally I don't think it's as much a matter of the horrible, laughable, drop rate as it is the lack of any reason to give an airborne fornicating rodent one way or the other.

crasher
08-02-2013, 03:32 AM

Honestly: I think that RNG implies (to many people) a truly random number, whereas in many games the RNG will generate a random number based on weighted parameters that give biased results in keeping with a specifically engineered set of results in mind.

But that's just me.

Umfafa
08-03-2013, 07:10 AM
The odds are worse than Vegas.

Haven't gotten anything worthwhile out of the lockboxes in at least 6 weeks. Figured I'd try and push it on loot weekend. Yeah, same results. Mostly green and blue. Occasional purple. All completely worthless.

Opened 22 Tier 3 boxes in the last 2 days and ended up with 66 pieces of crap...40,000 arksalvage thereabouts. Oh boy, I can buy enough keycodes with that for one more box of crap and a box of crap mods.

Not worth the work.

nathanpbutler
08-03-2013, 08:48 AM
I had been buying tier 3 lockboxes constantly with all of my ark salvage and keys since the game's launch. No oranges at all, and only rarely a purple. In the last week, I switched to tier 2 lockboxes and was able to buy more for the same amount of keys. In the span of a week, I pulled THREE oranges, with two of those oranges being yesterday within a few hours of each other. Now I expect only greens for ages again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the system.

Fancypants
08-03-2013, 09:25 AM
My biggest problem is that the RNG is very much skewed to rocket launchers, lobbers and shotguns.
You almost never get a anything else, if you are really lucky you may get a pistol.

I think the loot table of the boxes and drops are automatically skewed based on statistics on what types of weapons are least used by the player, in an attempt to balance what type of weapons are actually used in the world.

Sadly everyone just has to get to a vendor to buy his assault riffle or SAW.I understand this because you don't want people getting the popular weapons too easily.

MMOs have to build in a certain amount of 'fail' so that people keep logging on, or trying whatever it is to accomplish. Increase the rates of the best/most wanted items and your game becomes a ghost town after awhile.

Fancypants
08-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Sadly everyone just has to get to a vendor to buy his assault riffle or SAW.I understand this because you don't want people getting the popular weapons too easily.

MMOs have to build in a certain amount of 'fail' so that people keep logging on, or trying whatever it is to accomplish. Increase the rates of the best/most wanted items and your game becomes a ghost town after awhile.

I do wish they didn't have such stupid *** bonuses on them 90% of the time.My point exactly.. Trion likes it and companies that have the RNG.

If people 'win it' too easily, they get bored. No motivation to spend money or strive for anything in game.

Umfafa
08-03-2013, 10:04 AM
The "fail" rate has increased from what it was in the beginning. I've gotten about half a dozen legendaries before ego level 2000. Since then, nada. Zero. Zilch. I should be seeing more of them now because I know how to point myself at keycodes. (4200 ego or so now)

I've seen nothing in more than 6 weeks. Daily play. More than a few hours. 22 T3 boxes in the last 2 days. Nothing but garbage, mostly green shields. Even Vegas gives you 3 coins back when you put in 5....just to make you think you're winning.

Littleweasel
08-03-2013, 12:29 PM
anyone that is basing a game on in game content like what random weapons they get from a lock box really need to grow up, because opening a lock box is like buying a lottery ticket you are never garanteed anything and in most cases what you will get is nothing!

all these people whining about not getting any orange weapons just because they used 500 key codes to buy lock boxes should never buy lotto tickets or their tears would flood their city.

it is sad how so many people think that just because they bought a lock box's they deserve to get an orange ever 3rd box they open.

Umfafa
08-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Don't base a game on the content? What planet are you from?

I don't buy lotto tickets. I have however, bought this game. How about every 23rd box you open? Would that be fair considering that there's about 10 hours of time invested in those 23 boxes' keycodes?

Fanboi, I see. I like the game, but it's just getting frustrating because they are slowly pulling every reward from it. If it's all work, I should get paid for it.....like, for instance.....AT WORK.

Duh.

Littleweasel
08-03-2013, 01:05 PM
of course people should base a game on game content, but you should re read what i wrote since i never said base it on all game content.

"anyone that is basing a game on in game content like what random weapons they get from a lock box really need to grow up, because opening a lock box is like buying a lottery ticket you are never garanteed anything and in most cases what you will get is nothing!"

see the word RANDOM there, that is exactly what a lock box is a RANDOM chance and people should not whine just because they never get anything they want from one.

you say you don't buy lotto ticket, that may be true in the real world but in the world of defiance every time you buy a lock box that is exactly what you are doing.

in the real world a lotto ticket costs 2$ so if i spend $2000 on lotto tickets does that mean i am intitled to win the big prizes just because of the amount of money i spent on tickets, no not at all because it is based on the luck of the draw not being intitled to it. the same as lock boxes in the game.

alienstookmybeer
08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
At least they give you the odds in Lotto.

Here they don't disclose it or when then they decide to lower the chances (at least on the lockboxes bought with resorces anyway).

Joeymtl
08-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I have been playing Defiance less lately and ****ty orange droprates is a factor that contributed to my depreciation of the game. When you complete all the missions and pursuits, the next goal is to improve your gear. Lotto or not, if that can't be acheived in an amount of time and energy that is proportional to the reward, I will not spend that time and energy.

64 Keys does not justify this low droprate multiplied by the randomness/uselessness of many bonuses in my opinion. Other mmo's (p2p and f2p) have more balanced reward vs effort systems.

BarrySciFi
08-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Yep. Trion has been shoving a lot of green trash down our throats lately. Green? FROM LOCK BOXES? WTF

Jaydogg
08-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I let other people waste their keys/arksalvage/bits on finding good oranges, then I buy that orange from them with scrip. works out pretty good!

TPyro
08-08-2013, 08:10 PM
omg so after buying nothing but t4 boxes and doing alot of searching online, i came to this thread and after reading i bought my first t2 box and..... I FINALLY GOT THAT ORANGE!!!! this system is broken and from now on its t2 all the way

Stubin
08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Get 4 greens in a lock box and tell me how you feel. :mad:

Gunsmith Dan
08-08-2013, 11:11 PM
HAs anyone bought a T4 lockbox in the past 2 days and randomly only getting 3 instead of 4 items ...... and NO my inventory was almost empty and I have 79 slots

ARC056
04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
I've pulled plenty of oranges, its just more of a matter of getting an orange thats of a decent quality thats a problem and the rare few I have that are decent have HORRIBLE bonus skills when maxed. My good bolt action sniper got a high hipfire crit bonus which I would have loved on literally ANYTHING ELSE but a a bolt action. A decent pump I recently maxed got a 30% damage bonus to freaking VEHICLES! Yeah.... thats real usefell. GRRRRRR!

I've seen one orange in 3 days playing. Bought a T4 lockbox from the Defi store, got a legendary sawn-off shotgun. Since then, I've pulled 16 purples, 40 blues, and a small pile of greens n whites (which usually find themselves scrapped or vended) from enemies and T2/T3 boxes I bought with scrip n keycodes.

As for the anti-vehicle shotgun... that is rather odd... I've pulled an anti-vehicle rocket launcher and an anti-vehicle sniper, but a shotgun? Seriously? ...Suppose you could slip up by one in cloak and shoot 'em that way... but, wow... that would make more sense if it were a slug shotty.

Rokea
04-07-2014, 04:03 PM
I've seen one orange in 3 days playing. Bought a T4 lockbox from the Defi store, got a legendary sawn-off shotgun. Since then, I've pulled 16 purples, 40 blues, and a small pile of greens n whites (which usually find themselves scrapped or vended) from enemies and T2/T3 boxes I bought with scrip n keycodes.

As for the anti-vehicle shotgun... that is rather odd... I've pulled an anti-vehicle rocket launcher and an anti-vehicle sniper, but a shotgun? Seriously? ...Suppose you could slip up by one in cloak and shoot 'em that way... but, wow... that would make more sense if it were a slug shotty.
what killed me was the anti vehicle shotty needing 4 shots to take out a player in pvp... if it can shoot out a truck in 2 shots 4 would leave a bloody pile in regards to a person.

xxxDEDUSTxxx
04-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Wer mich im Spiel Anklicken tut (xxxDEDUSTxxx ) der bekommt eine Super Waffe mit sehr guten Krit 10 + Krit. meine ich.
Ich brauche die Waffen nicht mehr.Bloß Ihr müsst mir dann erklären wie ich die Waffe Euch übergeben kann.
Caio
xxxDEDUSTxxx EGO 3800