PDA

View Full Version : Server Selection.

LurchUSA
03-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Are we going to have just one server in the US for all PC gamers, with another for the Euro crowd?

Or will there be multiple shards to choose from?

Far_Too_Jones
03-29-2013, 11:38 AM
1 server for US, multiple shards. Only way you can change shards is through grouping with other players on different shards from what I've heard.

Ralph
03-29-2013, 01:15 PM
I hadn't heard about getting to different shards thru grouping. Will it give you the option to warp to the group, or will you need to "zone" to make it happen?

HansKisaragi
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Theres a option from the quick menu to warp to party

Far_Too_Jones
03-29-2013, 01:29 PM
I hadn't heard about getting to different shards thru grouping. Will it give you the option to warp to the group, or will you need to "zone" to make it happen?

Pretty sure you can warp to people in your group.

EdgeTW
03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Gah. Shards, worlds, etc are just another name for servers. There is only one in the sense of "how many servers will we have to pick from to make our home on?". Instancing (instances) is the name for copies of the same map on a server, which is what they're talking about when saying you can transfer to the copy of the map your group is on. Phasing is what happens when you run into an open-world mission area and all the other players (who are not in your group) fade away until you leave the influence area - usually this involves no loading screen transition.

v1ctor
03-29-2013, 03:28 PM
There are two servers, one for NA and one for EU players. Each server is divided into different shards for load balancing purposes. If one of your friends is on a different shard than you are, you can teleport to that friend's shard. You will not be able to teleport to players that are on different server.

EdgeTW
03-29-2013, 03:32 PM
There are two servers, one for NA and one for EU players. Each server is divided into different shards for load balancing purposes. If one of your friends is on a different shard than you are, you can teleport to that friend's shard. You will not be able to teleport to players that are on different server.

There's also a shard (server) for the different platforms as well. PC, XBOX and PS3 aren't allowed to play together.

LadyChaos
03-29-2013, 03:40 PM
To clarify the term confusion:

Servers = 2 (EU NA)
Shards (this game) = similar to an instance, but closer to an overflow zone from other games such as GW2
Shards also = server in many games, rifts being one of them

There are full fledged instances in game for solo portions and co-ops (no lock outs etc just private to the group only)

Insider
03-29-2013, 03:46 PM
so can EU players play on the US server ?

LadyChaos
03-29-2013, 03:48 PM

yes you can select either from the drop down menu under setting from the launcher.

Pasha
03-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Yes. Just set of toons will be different. I.e. you can't play on US using EU toon - need to level +1.

Ralph
03-29-2013, 03:56 PM
thanks guys! I don't think I know more than a couple of people playing yet, but it's good to know for when we're grouped.

DustOfDeath
03-29-2013, 04:12 PM
hopefully their "shards" has fair amount of power.Dont want to end up with all the people in diff "shards" resulting in a more or less empty maps.

EdgeTW
03-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I may be wrong about this, but isn't that a permanent choice? Like.. you choose to either play on EU servers or NA servers, but once you make that choice you're stuck with it for all your characters?

dirtyklingon
03-29-2013, 04:18 PM
hopefully their "shards" has fair amount of power.Dont want to end up with all the people in diff "shards" resulting in a more or less empty maps.

their instance and phasing match making was bugged in beta and many of us did end up alone on maps pretty often.

FourEyes
03-29-2013, 04:19 PM
I may be wrong about this, but isn't that a permanent choice? Like.. you choose to either play on EU servers or NA servers, but once you make that choice you're stuck with it for all your characters?

No, EU and US servers are completely separate on your account. It was the same as in RIFT - you chose the US or EU, then logged in and had the appropriate shard list come up. You can freely move between them but your characters only exist on the US or EU at one time.

EdgeTW
03-29-2013, 04:41 PM
their instance and phasing match making was bugged in beta and many of us did end up alone on maps pretty often.

I actually prefer it when my group ends up this way. Outside of things like arkfalls, my immersion get shot when I see too many folks in the area. Makes the world feel tiny (and crowded).